• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD More news on EU Digital Passport

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Better news for Europe covid passports.

EU states should issue Covid passports before July 1st, commission urges​

Mock-up of a digital health passport app. Under the EU system, fully vaccinated people holding EU Digital Covid Certificates, will be exempt from quarantines and travel curbs. Photograph: iStock
Mock-up of a digital health passport app. Under the EU system, fully vaccinated people holding EU Digital Covid Certificates, will be exempt from quarantines and travel curbs
EU member states, including the Republic, should start issuing Covid passports if possible before July 1st, the European Commission urged on Monday.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, don’t you love it when they urge. I think we all enjoy a good urge. It’s about as tangible as a concept but sounds so much more urgent (sorry).
Every government in Europe has a right to set its own border controls
EU oversees the organisation of this. ie vax passports.
The eu governments met last week and was agreed by all countries to implement this vaccine passport.
France has closed its borders to UK due to a new variant in control of UK, travel stopped except in exceptional circumstances, example of European countries individual decision, differing from others, EU citizens can still travel to all eu countries, you are Urged (Sorry for using that word) to keep checking for changes

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ireland will start welcoming travellers from European Union countries, as well as those coming from the United States and the United Kingdom, from July 19, when the government vowed that it will launch the EU’s COVID-19 passport that aims to facilitate the movement for all vaccinated persons.

The gateway for the EU Digital COVID Certificate goes live at EU level one month ahead of deadline.

🇧🇬 🇨🇿 🇩🇰 🇩🇪 🇬🇷 🇭🇷 🇵🇱 have already connected to the gateway and started issuing first EU certificates.

More countries will join in the coming days and weeks. #EUCOVIDcertificate

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ireland will start welcoming travellers from European Union countries, as well as those coming from the United States and the United Kingdom, from July 19, when the government vowed that it will launch the EU’s COVID-19 passport that aims to facilitate the movement for all vaccinated persons.
USA has no national verification system for vaccines... so they will either haveto modify their system,or non european passengers or use paper.

Will paper "Record Card" from the USA be accepted for verification of Covid-19 vaccinatioin?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also only have a paper record of my vaccinations, and a stamp in my old WHO yellow international vaccination certificate. Who knows if this will be worth anything? Maybe, maybe not. We all just need to cultivate a bit more patience while the EU and the rest of the world gets their covid acts together - right now the situation is still in flux.

I also only have a paper record of my vaccinations, and a stamp in my old WHO yellow international vaccination certificate. Who knows if this will be worth anything? Maybe, maybe not. We all just need to cultivate a bit more patience while the EU and the rest of the world gets their covid acts together - right now the situation is still in flux.
VN,
At the moment in France we only have a paper record also. I carry a paper copy in my wallet and a photo copy of the paper on my phone. ...More will evolve later.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Better news for Europe covid passports.

EU states should issue Covid passports before July 1st, commission urges​

Mock-up of a digital health passport app. Under the EU system, fully vaccinated people holding EU Digital Covid Certificates, will be exempt from quarantines and travel curbs. Photograph: iStock
Mock-up of a digital health passport app. Under the EU system, fully vaccinated people holding EU Digital Covid Certificates, will be exempt from quarantines and travel curbs
EU member states, including the Republic, should start issuing Covid passports if possible before July 1st, the European Commission urged on Monday.

I will be leaving from Italy on the 16th June, does it mean that I need this EU passport? And if not I guess maybe when I come back. What do I need to do to get it? I would like to point out that I -like many other people- have many things to do and cannot spend all of the time researching the latest on the topic. Very annoying because I will go to the airport hoping that I will not have any problems.

If someone could shed some light I would be very grateful

I will be leaving from Italy on the 16th June, does it mean that I need this EU passport? And if not I guess maybe when I come back. What do I need to do to get it? I would like to point out that I -like many other people- have many things to do and cannot spend all of the time researching the latest on the topic. Very annoying because I will go to the airport hoping that I will not have any problems.

I think things are in such a state of flux that no one canreally answer your question right now....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be leaving from Italy on the 16th June, does it mean that I need this EU passport?
No.

And if not I guess maybe when I come back. What do I need to do to get it?
Nothing. You will never need to get it to travel from Spain to Italy or to travel between any two EU countries.

You can get a digital certificate for your vaccination if you want such a certificate. Provided that you got vaccinated in an EU country. For reasons of simplicity, I will assume that you got vaccinated in Italy. You will get the digital certificate through your regional or local healthcare service. Or, if you have a fascicolo sanitario elettronico and know how to access it you can get the certificate online and download it. Your doctor may be able to access it for you.

If you are living in and were vaccinated in another EU country, the procedure will be different. There will be 27 different procedures. At least 27.

If you were not vaccinated in an EU country and not in Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, or Liechtenstein just forget about this for a while.

Last edited:
Sorry Kath, was posting this at same time.

No flux,
All European countries have signed up to this Covid passport some have already opened a portal for applications the rest will follow in June,
If you are a resident in an EU country and have received full vaccinations or have had covid within a specified date of travel you will receive certification in electronic format ie barcode with your details encoded.
As I said before EU countries will have rules governing non European Union countries entitled to entry i.e... USA, UK, JAPAN, S.KOREA ect.
Example I gave at the moment UK citizens cannot enter France except in exceptional circumstances, EU residents can enter France.
This is important for US transiting flights from England and non eu states.
That's it as it stands this evening.
Hope this helps contact your local foreign office for more details.

For France: If you got vaccinated in May or later, you will have been given a paper with a barcode. Open your TousAntiCovid app, click on 'my wallet', and scan the barcode.

If you got vaccinated earlier, you weren't given a paper with a barcode. Access your Ameli account and download it from there. If you don't have a carte vitale and you don't have a French social security number, you won't have an Ameli account; go to the vaccination centre or the doctor or pharmacist where you got vaccinated and bring your vaccination card with you.

These two examples - Italy and France - show that there is little point in asking how to get the EU digital certificates. It depends on many factors. There is no single portal or single authority that will give you your digital certificate.

If you were not vaccinated in EU+, then wait until further useful and useable details have been officially published.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, I understand now. You replied to an earlier post and you are saying that things are not in flux. I agree. I'm a bit amazed how far the systems for the EU digital certificates / passport have progressed. And we still have a full month until the official starting shot will be given on the 1st of July.

Where I live, I know already the name of the app that I will need (it has not yet been released in the App Store) and I know where to download my certificates, namely from my own digital file that is managed by the regional/national public health service. My vaccination data are there, just no active link yet for the download.

Last edited:
Oh, I understand now. You replied to an earlier post and you are saying that things are not in flux. I agree. I'm a bit amazed how far the systems for the EU digital certificates / passport have progressed. And we still have a full month until the official starting shot will be given on the 1st of July.

Where I live, I know already the name of the app that I will need (it has not yet been released in the App Store) and I know where to download my certificates, namely from my own digital file that is managed by the regional/national public health service. My vaccination data are there, just no active link yet for the download.
Excellent thanks for info.

I would like to point out that I -like many other people- have many things to do and cannot spend all of the time researching the latest on the topic.
If you are traveling it is your responsibility to know and comply with current regulations. Just because we actually have lives and can't do that easily doesn't make the policies go away.
If you were not vaccinated in EU+, then wait until further useful and useable details have been officially published
Patience, people. 🙃
It seems in short supply

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
VN,
At the moment in France we only have a paper record also. I carry a paper copy in my wallet and a photo copy of the paper on my phone. ...More will evolve later.
Are your vaccinations recorded in a national data bank?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Spain, like numerous other EU countries, also has a decentralised public health system. In the region of Castilla y Leon for example you can download your digital vaccination certificate through their Sacylconecta portal and app that let's you access your own digital patient's folder.

listing

Image: Shutterstock

Greece, Germany and five other countries kick off EU Covid travel certificates early​

Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Croatia and Poland have also started the system ahead of the July 1 rollout.

11 hours ago 26,563 21
GREECE, GERMANY AND five other European Union nations have introduced a Covid-19 passport system for travellers, a month ahead of the 1 July rollout of the programme across the EU.
The other countries starting early were Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Croatia and Poland, according to the European Commission.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This digital passport means the Camino can start to see the light of day again, as more people can organise themselves it's great news for the Camino. And travel within Europe agaín.

So ... is there anyone on the forum who has already obtained their digital vaccination certificate? And travelled with it? At the airport, do you just hold it up for someone to look at or do they have scanners?

Oh thank you @Kathar1na : good to know certificates can be downloaded from our national e-health public health service.
Until recently I used the website only to get into the testresults ( from visits to doctors ) but I noticed the vaccins are also enlisted in my dosier. Even the ones I got at work ( like the one for hepatitis B ).

good to know certificates can be downloaded from our national e-health public health service.
Until recently I used the website only to get into the testresults ( from visits to doctors ) but I noticed the vaccins are also enlisted in my dosier. Even the ones I got at work ( like the one for hepatitis B ).
EU countries with advanced digitalised public health systems will be in a good position. Other countries, Germany for example where the public health system is very diverse and localised and still dominated by forms on paper, will have more problems to get this up and running on a large scale, beyond the first test phases.

A photo of an actual "EU Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate" (official name of the thing; they are keen not to use the word "passport"). You don't need a smartphone, you can use the printout. This one has been issued by a German vaccination centre/public health authority.

Looks different to the mock-ups. ☺️

Covid-19 certificate.jpg

Last edited:

It seems like the bottom line is that even though these digital passports are touted as an EU thing (and they are), each EU country will do its own digital card, with its own procedure and process, and its own way of accessing it.

So if you live in the EU, your first point of reference should be your own country's process (or the process of the country in which you received the vaccine). I'd start your research there and familiarize yourself before you travel.

if you live in the EU, your first point of reference should be your own country's process (or the process of the country in which you received the vaccine).
This is worth repeating because there have already been several questions where people want to know how to obtain an EU digital vaccination certificate:
  • If you are getting your vaccination now in an EU country or soon and the legal/technical system in this country is sufficiently advanced, you will get the certificate with its EU compliant QR code, or information about online access to it, from the place where you are vaccinated or from your public health system.

• If you got your vaccination in the past, you will have to enquire with the place where you got vaccinated, or with your local, regional or national public health system, on how to proceed.

• If you have an EU passport and are vaccinated in a place outside of the EU, you may be able to have your data turned into an EU Covid-19 digital certificate but you don't have a right to this, and procedures to follow are still unknown. Also, this may be mainly for EU citizens who happen to be abroad at the time of vaccination but are covered by, or are members of, their EU country's public health system - merely having an EU passport as a second passport may not qualify. In any case, you will need to get in touch with an authority in the EU country who issued your passport.

• Automatic recognition of digital certificates issued by non-EU organisations outside of the EU, like IATA or whoever, is mainly talk and no action at this point in time.
What is done at EU level, is creating the legal framework, issuing technical standards for those who develop apps, EU compliant QR codes and certificates in each of the 27 EU countries, and creating a technical gateway platform that serves for the verification of the certificates issued in the 27 EU countries. It is nothing that an individual can access or use.

Last edited:
Marbe2,
I believe that they are but as of today, 02/05/21, I only have the paper.
If France has a data bank it should be able to transfer your data on request or better yet, you might eventually have access to it to be able to get a QR code for travel.

Here in the USA, there is no national system...New York has a computerized system. A small number of states have state health recorded records which can be requested. Some states do not even record health records and now politics has entered the frey making it currently impossible for certain states to make any progress in this regard. So it is either paper or nothing for most of us.

Last edited:
E u will start to recognise your vax certs as a means of travel, just a problem with forgeries the already have travelers forging PCR tests.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great information clearly put Kathar1na many thanks.

Here is a link to an app for Covid rules and stats across the EU. It is multilingual. It is called Re-Open EU. This link is for the Apple version.

Edit/ I also placed it in the Resource section. Perhaps the moderators could highlight it instead of mutilple threads pointing at multiple sources of info?

Last edited:
It is called Re-Open EU
This is a very useful tool. The hope is that this confusing and ever changing patchwork of rules and bans will become redundant soon and will be replaced by a simpler system that says: You can come if you are either vaccinated, or PCR or Antigen tested, or recently recovered from illness. Show us your EU Covid-19 certificate.

Just saw an article that explains how to get an EU Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate in Spain, just to shed light on the real situation of progress. This situation is similar to other EU countries with decentralised or federalised systems.

Currently, 7 of the 17 regions of Spain do not have the required digital service available and cannot issue such a certificate. Each of the 10 other regions has their own systems for obtaining an EU conform vaccination certificate now or within the next 4-10 weeks:
  • GP or ClicSalud or regional health app;
  • Carpeta de Salud but you may have to go to a government office first;
  • MiHistoria website;
  • La Meva Salut application;
  • Sacyl Conecta app or Carpeta del Paciente;
  • PassCovid app or É-Saúde website;
  • Target sanataria virtual;
  • regional government website;
  • Carpeta Personal de Salud;
  • regional government website but the certificate is currently purely for informational purposes and not yet configured as an EU Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate.
In all cases, you need to have, or obtain, access codes first, and you need to be registered as covered by sickness insurance under Spanish law/resident.

I have updated and bumped the thread that lists various official sources, including the Re-open EU website.
Thank you, Clare, for maintaining the thread that lists sources with links to official information. I had a look at the Reopen Europe website and checked their current information for a trip from France to Spain by way of an example. I saw that they have already added sections about the EU Digital Covid certificate. The section is currently empty of course. This is what it looks like:

Entering [Spain from France] with the EU Digital COVID certificate:
Information not yet available.

Entering [Spain from France] without the EU Digital COVID certificate or with a certificate not compliant with [Spanish] requirements
[Plenty of information]​
Bookmarked it!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So ... who has already obtained an EU Digital Vaccination Certificate and plans to travel to Spain next week?

As of Monday 7 June 2021, Spain will accept these EU vaccination certificates for entering Spain, and you can forget about worrying about PCR tests within 72 hours prior to your arrival in Spain. And no more fussing around with test appointments in SJPP either when you are vaccinated and have the required proof with you. All this talk has already become part of the past for pilgrims who qualify.

The Spanish decree will be published tomorrow (5 June), and while minute details are still unknown, the information is already on the official Spanish SPTH government website, see https://www.spth.gob.es: Are you travelling to Spain? and scroll down to section Who has to have proof of vaccination, diagnostic test or certificate of recovery?

Last edited:
Yes, I am sure there will be electronic apps - but I rather love the idea of dragging out the old yellow WHO vaccination certificates. Regardless of electronic record keeping, I am getting my certificates stamped in that booklet, for nostalgia and as a back up. What a blast from the past.

old yellow WHO vaccination certificates
Some EU+ countries use the yellow WHO booklets routinely for recording Covid-19 vaccinations (as far as I know, Germany and Switzerland) while other EU countries don't use them at all for this purpose.

I didn't bring my WHO booklet to the vaccination centre and nobody else did. I don't think that I will bother to ask my GP to enter the data for me into the booklet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe you or the moderators could move your post to the US related thread? So that this thread can be reserved for information for travellers from EU countries as travel restrictions and related information are quite different between the two groups? Thanks.

This thing is brand new for us, and of course we want to know how to get it and how it will work in real life, and it is rather confusing when the thread drifts in and out of discussions about situations in/for non-EU countries ...
I undertand, I will post this in june7th! Thanks!

This tweet more progress..
Tweet,
I live in France. Irish. Heading to Spain on Sunday. Got a Covid test yesterday. No cost. Medical team also updated my Covid cert so that it is now scannable. Test centre working like clockwork. After a slow start, France powering ahead.

This tweet more progress..
Tweet,
I live in France. Irish. Heading to Spain on Sunday. Got a Covid test yesterday. No cost. Medical team also updated my Covid cert so that it is now scannable. Test centre working like clockwork. After a slow start, France powering ahead.
May it continue!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
British travelers allowed into France with fully vaccinated cert and antigen test

FULLY VACCINATED, Britons will be able to travel to France next week with just a negative antigen test – although the country remains on the UK’s “amber list”.

British travellers who have had both vaccinations more than 14 days prior to travel will not need a “compelling reason” to enter from 9 June. They will be able to prove their vaccinated status via the NHS app.

Here is a great overview of the French rules for entering France from anywhere in the world as of 9 June. It's in French but much of it is colour-coded and comprehensible even with no or little knowledge of French.

As of next week, travelling will be easy for vaccinated pilgrims who travel to France from countries that are in France's category of green-coded countries (all EU+ plus a few other countries).

See

Last edited:
The EU Gateway for the EU Digital COVID Certificate is up and running.

This system allows to verify certificates in a secure and privacy-friendly way.

🇧🇬 🇨🇿 🇩🇰 🇩🇪 🇬🇷 🇭🇷 🇵🇱 have already connected and more countries will follow soon: https://t.co/uxamA32v9Z #EUCOVIDcertificate https://t.co/YTLtKWE7QJ

Interesting. If you are a EU citizen living outside the EU, there may be issues with the reciprocity of different national systems.2485547_5_articleinline_eu.jpg

Interesting. If you are a EU citizen living outside the EU, there may be issues with the reciprocity of different national systems.
I don't understand. I'm also giggling a bit. Although some EU countries have started issuing certificates to some people who recently got their vaccination, and they've tested the EU gateway platform, it is far from clear that they've sorted out all the issues that they have within the EU. This is not yet running on a large scale nor is it running everywhere nor for everyone who is already vaccinated.

Second, is this photo real or a mockup? It looks like a mockup to me.

Third, there is a provision in the EU law that will enter into force on 1 July that says that EU citizens who got their vaccination outside the EU may obtain an EU standard certificate from their own country when they request it. Is there any news that Belgium (photo) will not do this? And in any case, EU citizens are not obliged to have an EU compatible certificate, they can travel into the EU with any vaccination document.

Four, I'd be interested to know the source of this news. :cool:

Last edited:
Second, is this photo real or a mockup? It looks like a mockup to me.
It's a mockup. This is the draft for the Belgian EU certificate, published about 2 weeks ago, paper version and digital version:

BE EU certificate.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
there is a provision in the EU law that will enter into force on 1 July that says that EU citizens who got their vaccination outside the EU may obtain an EU standard certificate from their own country when they request it.
I was looking for this, so good to know. Good that they recognise the diaspora/s outside the EU.

Four, I'd be interested to know the source of this news.

I wonder whether it is generally known how things work when you currently travel to Spain as the owner of an EU digital vaccination certificate.

You don't have to show your smartphone or your piece of paper when you arrive at an airport in Spain.

Instead, before your departure, you fill in the obligatory SpTH form where you upload your EU Digital COVID certificate. The SpTH system will verify it, will produce the SpTH QR code, and will then delete all your EU Digital COVID certificate data in the Spanish SpTH system.

All you have to show at arrival at the Spanish airport is the SpTH code.

I find this actually quite an elegant technical solution.

Last edited:
This is brilliant eu countries powering ahead.
Several European countries have begun issuing the EU's newly agreed COVID travel pass, which is aimed at reviving free movement around the bloc and handing the tourism industry a timely boost.

Here's everything you need to know about the pass. 👇

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This might help Irish Americans and others

Irish Americans can now apply for their Irish passport online​

Irish citizens living in the US, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand are now, for the first time, able to apply for their first Irish passport online.​

IrishCentral Staff
@IrishCentral
Jun 07, 2021
Irish citizens in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the US can now apply for their first Irish passport using Passport Online.

Irish citizens in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the US can now apply for their first Irish passport using Passport Online. GETTY IMAGES
From today, June 7, on, Irish

Fifteen EU member states - Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal and Spain - are now connected to the EU gateway and have started issuing EU Digital Covid certificates for vaccinations. Current overview here.

France will start to issue EU Digital Covid vaccination certificates from 21 June. They have an odd system which has puzzled me for some time. They have already a national digital vaccination pass and will have the EU certificates soon, and there is some kind of automatic conversion between the two. My guess is that this has to do with stricter personal data protection at EU level and that the EU certificates cannot be made obligatory. In France, the national pass system is valid by law until the end of September 2021 while the EU certificate system is valid by law until the end of June 2022. I'm curious to see how this develops. More confusion is a near certainty. 🤭

Spain is also doing something odd: they do not control the EU DCC at arrival of a passenger at a Spanish airport. The control happens by their IT systems before departure when they passenger has to upload his or her EU DCC to the Spanish SpTH app which then generates another QR code and it's this code that they control at the Spanish airport. I'am undecided about whether to call this method elegant or confusing.

Last edited:
I am puzzled by the photo below. Maybe someone who has already traveled with their EU DCC to Spain can shed some light on how it actually works?

The person in the photo is holding an EU DCC issued by Belgium, I can see that. She tweeted: My 🇧🇪 #EUCOVIDCertificate was successfully checked in Spain 🇪🇸. It works! The laptop is connected to, or shows, the Spanish SpTH website/app. However, judging by the letters on the yellow vest, this photo was not taken in Spain 😂. Or was it?

It works - but where.jpg

€83,-
The control happens by their IT systems before departure
Makes total sense, if this was at the airport in Belgium, right?:
However, judging by the letters on the yellow vest, this photo was not taken in Spain
The poster may have misspoken; "successfully checked on the departure area on the way to Spain" is more likely, right?

The person in the picture is our president of the European commission Ursula it may have been a promo shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back