• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

more people than beds?

Darialee

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning (2015)
if 979 people a day get their certificate in Santiago.... and looking at some of the Albergues.... where does everyone else sleep? Should I be only picking places that will let me make reservations?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I looked for a thread with this information for an hour without luck..... then I posted my question and the vey next place I looked had information on full albergues.... so I think I'm all set. Basically try to book ahead.... if everything is full, keep walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seminario Menor is a pretty safe bet with 200 beds--been there 3 times. In any event, there's a gazillion places to stay in Santiago and that's on top of what's in the guide. No worries.

The fear of full albergues seems to be an important subject on the camino, also on this forum.
But, I never ever heard someone's own story about not finding a place to sleep at night. So somewhere there must be enough places!

Because of this, I asked in another thread who really experienced themself a problem with full albergues and not being able to find another place within 5 kms. A lot of people seem to have heard about other peoples problem but no one reacted with personal own experience.
It makes me more and more curious if it is a real problem or it's just the fear which is going around.
So please, before we go on with the thought that there are more people than beds: who has own experience with not finding a place to sleep within a distance of 5 kms from the place they wished to sleep?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
if 979 people a day get their certificate in Santiago.... and looking at some of the Albergues.... where does everyone else sleep? Should I be only picking places that will let me make reservations?

How many of those 979 people started the Camino from SJPDP? How many are walking in from different routes such as the Portuguese, Via de la Plata, Norte, Primitivo, and Ingles?
The Camino Frances is not the only route, and consider how many are just starting from Sarria alone.
If 979 people started from SJPDP, then there would be a major shortage of beds.

Hello darialee,

Welcome to the forum.

Many of these peregrinos start their caminos on the last 100 kilometres from santiago. And as mentioned previously, they are coming from different routes. If you look at the statistics from the oficina del peregrinos you will see what i am talking about. The last 100 kilometers could be from sarria, ourense, ferrol, tui, muxia/finisterre and these are caminos on the camino frances, via de la platacamino, camino ingles, camino portugues, etc.

So don't worry about the bed situation. Just go and enjoy your camino.

Good luck. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back