• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More pilgrims on Coastal or Inland Route?

cabigred

Time of past OR future Camino
CF June 2015, CF June 2016, CP June 2017
Hello, this year I will have a special treat on my Camino. My 21 year old son has asked to walk the Porto to Santiago route with me. He is even offering to carry my things. Here is the question. I'd like him to experience the most interaction with other Pilgrims. Hopefully some younger ones mixed in with the old folks like me. Which route is likely to bring us the most exposure to other Pilgrims? Inland or Coastal?

Thanks for the advice!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the coastal route last year in September and some days we saw very few other pilgrims and some days as we got closer to Santiago de Compostela there were a lot of pilgrims. I believe the central route is the most popular and has more pilgrims. When do you plan on walking? I expect to be walking the central route leaving Porto sometime around September 8th. I have 7 weeks to walk so my plans are not written in stone.

Hi Mike we are walking from Porto June 1. I am planning for 14mi days. which is comfortable for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked the Coastal from late May/early June and saw VERY few people. We met one gentleman who had spent 3 nights all by himself in the alburgues. We did run into more folks once the trails joined in Valencia. There was a definite increase in college aged hikers from there as well, so I am guessing the Central route is more popular with that age group.

It is always wonderful when mixed generations decide to undertake such an enlightening experience.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The coastal route joins the central route at or near São Pedro de Rates. From there, one route heads to Valença, and into Spain at Tui.

In my experience, the first three day or so, from Porto, along the coast and swinging northeast towards Rates are beautiful and easy walking. The people are wonderful and English is widely spoken. However, there are very few pilgrims.

Arriving across the bridge from Portugal, in Tui, you are at one of those "magical" just over 100 Km Camino points that qualify for a Compostela from the Pilgrim Office for having done a Camino if you walk the "final" 100 Km to qualify. This is analogous to Sarria on the Camino Frances.

This established, once at Tui, and especially in season (after Easter) the pilgrim numbers will increase greatly. At Tui, folks who are not able, do not have the time or inclination to walk a longer Camino will generally start from the Tui Cathedral. It is a good place to stay overnight and to start from.

If you are walking over the girder bridge (designed by Gustave Eiffel's firm) from Valença, remember to change your watch AHEAD one hour. Portugal is in the same time zone as London, UK (UTC +1 during the summer). But, Tui and all of Spain is in the Central European Time Zone (UTC +2 in summer).

Walking from Tui towards Redondela, you pass through Porrino. The approach to Porrino from the south is through an industrial area of auto assembly light factories, warehousing, etc. It is several kilometers of straight, somewhat soul sapping (IMHO) sidewalk hiking. There is precious little shade to be had and lots of trailer trucks.

There IS a pleasant, more off the main road alternative after Tui. It is written about elsewhere in the Forum. Search for "Porrino." Be aware that local interest conspire continually to vandalize, deface, or move yellow arrows and other directional or informational signage placed to provide this more relaxing alternative to you. Do your research.

I made a wrong turn in 2015 and became "lost" in a forest for nearly two hours. The tree canopy was thick enough that I could not see the sun. I eventually found my way, but onto the industrial route...Yuk! I will try to do better this year.

I hope this helps.

I know that a lot of pilgrims want to get a taste of the ocean and spend a day or several days on the Coastal route out of Porto, but then head inland. I agree with those who say that if you want to meet others, spend most of your days on the central route.

Here is another current thread with some of the options: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-portuguese-from-porto.46929/

You can also see the slightly confusing web of caminhos that exists between Porto and Santiago on this map: http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/RELIEVE-PORTO-REDONDELA-Impr.pdf

Hi Mike we are walking from Porto June 1. I am planning for 14mi days. which is comfortable for me.
Exciting! My sister&I begin may 31st out of Porto. Coastal all the way to Vila do conde then cut across inland to rates.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back