• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More pleasant route into Ourense

Tom Vickers

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances1993/2002) Fonseca 06 Primitivo 16. Muxia/Fisterra 16. VDLP 17. Primitivo/Fisterra 18.
The signed route into Ourense is almost as unpleasant as the Camino into Burgos. However, zooming in on Google Earth, there seems to be a footpath/cycle path to the left of the road on both sides of a stream leading into the centre of the city. This may be accessed soon after leaving Seixalbo when the Camino rejoins the main road and possibly can be followed as far as the mineral springs of As Burgas. From there it is a short walk to the Plaza Mayor, Cathedral then up the steps to the Albergue.

Does anyone have any local knowledge of this?

TomV

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ooooohhhh, I remember that walk into Burgos :wink:

Thanks for the tip.. I think I'll take the lower Portuguese route into Ourense...

Tom Vickers said:
The signed route into Ourense is almost as unpleasant as the Camino into Burgos. However, zooming in on Google Earth, there seems to be a footpath/cycle path to the left of the road on both sides of a stream leading into the centre of the city. This may be accessed soon after leaving Seixalbo when the Camino rejoins the main road and possibly can be followed as far as the mineral springs of As Burgas. From there it is a short walk to the Plaza Mayor, Cathedral then up the steps to the Albergue.

TomV

Having plodded along the road through the industrial estate South of Orense, I hope you have some success with this one. It is the most miserable 2km in the entire 1000km. Even the maximum security prison near El Terra de Cubo had more charms...
good luck
Gyro

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anniesantiago. What do you mean by taking the portuguise route into Ourense? Can you cross over in some way? I am also very interested in this question. I will be there one of the first days og May. Bjørg

Annie, Gyro, Bjorg

Unfortunately my proposed diversion does not avoid the horrible industrial area because this is before Seixalbo. Any suggestions anyone?

One of the routes from Portugal crosses the frontier near Verin and then follows the Camino Fonseca (part of the VDLP). The other route misses Ourense and crosses into Spain at Tui.

I hope to try the diversion later this year.

Cheers TomV

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tom Vickers said:

TomV

Hi, Tom,

There's an industrial part when arriving in Ourense but not like the one in Burgos, which is the worst I've ever walked. Seixalbo is not so bad. The Albergue in Ourense is not only a nice building but well attended. I enjoyed As Burgas and the Cathedral area (I could stamp in the Cathedral) and several years ago to left the city you had to walk a terrible road with a lot of traffic jum, but not now. So, being a quite big city, is not really bad. And, definitely, not so bad than the entry in Burgos.

It's just an opinion.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I've walked that route into Ourense twice-I didn't think it was all that bad BUT the walk out (about 3 kms from the albergue) is mentioned as about the steepest on the whole VDLP, which is 1000Kms! It rises 500 metres in 2 1/2 kms.

Hello Javier and Omar
When I walked into Ourense in June 2006 it was a really hot day. I had walked from Allariz and the second half of the day was all on hard pavements. The industrial zone is quite short and Seixalbo is nice but by the time I had to walk along the main road into the city the sun was reflecting off the tall buildings and the road. This made the walk most uncomfortable.

I am really looking for an alternative for the last couple of miles or so and the paths along the stream look as if they are shaded by trees. We need someone who lives locally to tell us if this is really the sort of track where the citizens take their Sunday afternoon strolls.
Cheers
TomV

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tom Vickers said:

TomV

Hello Tom,
I have been "invited” here via this link.
http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ ... urense.cfm
Reading this post it seems you want some clarification on how to get from a point about I am uncertain about to As Burgas.
I live only 25 mins away from Ourense and I may be able to help. I am planning to drive to the city early next week. So could you show me on a Google map where you are writing about and I will see if I can establish the route for you? I will take some photos and post them here.

Ian

Hello Ian

Attached is a map I generated from Google Earth and also 2 Google Earth files (kmz ) which follow the route from Seville and Verin. When the Camino leaves Seixalbo it soon reaches Calle del Cumial (OU 105). A short road (Calle de la Presa) leads to the left to the stream Rio Barbana. This is where I hope we can avoid the traffic on the Avenida de Zamora (OU 105) andCalle del Progreso (OU 540). I have marked where I hope there is an exit point to As Burgas then on to the Cathedral and Albergue. Good luck with your trip and I hope to hear from you soon.

Tom

Attachments

• Entry to Ourense.jpg
    Entry to Ourense.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 2,943
  • Camino_Via_de_la_Plata.kmz
    176.5 KB · Views: 143
  • VerinToSantiagoViaSandias.kmz
    72.9 KB · Views: 133
I know As Burgas well. The market just the other side of the main road bridge is very nice a great place to pick up some locally and freshly baked bread. Plus fruit and veg.
Just to the south of the market there is a demolition site (which you can see clearly form on the map). I will start my walk from there and head south along the river. From Google earth it could be that there are several places that look as if the access could be restricted.
BTW I live just a few km away from the Camino de Invierno.
There has been a lot of publicity about this “new” route but nothing concrete as yet. It seems the powers to be wish to launch the route next year. I personally think this will be too late. However if anybody wants some information about the route from round about Monforte de Lemos and Lalin then maybe I can help.
I will write back here next week about my adventures in Ourense.
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the Forum Ian.

I know you have been active on Thorntree and other sites but I think you will find this to be the best forum in English on the Caminos. It will be good for us to have advice and local knowledge from someone living on the route.

Hello Ian

Looking forward to hearing from you after your walk along the river bank and viewing any photos you take. If the photos are too many or too big to appear on the forum you can get my email address from my website or use Skype to ftp them to me.

I had a brief look at the website for the Camino de Invierno (incomplete) and it looks like a very good alternative to the Camino Frances for pilgrims who follow the VDLP as far as Astorga. If the infrastructure for accommodation etc. can be put in place then pilgrims will be able to leave the galloping hoardes behind at Ponferrada and take the more southern route to rejoin the VDLP at Lalin.

Cheers

Tom

Willam yes I am active on TTW I usually refer posters to your website It has been in my list of Favs for quite some time.

Tom
Yes I feel the accommodation is going to be a problem. For instance once you leave Monforte de Lemos the next accommodation, as far as I can see is near Panton a 4 star hotel called Aguas Santas, or maybe Rectoral de Castillón. Or us but we are about 15 mins walk away. The next stop is Chantada and then there is only one hotel in the town centre.
Maybe some one will contact us and other establishments work something out.
In the mean time they should try and get the website up and running, with some English too.
I will either post the photos on my website then you can copy them or I will try and add them to a Google earth kmz. But the second option may take time.

Here is another link to Foders about the Camino de Invierno.
http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ ... asacra.cfm

Ian

PS I have refrained from writing on here a Camino forum in the past as I have no will power to undertake such a journey, I tip my hat to you all who have made the pilgrimage. Now I can hopefully help with some local knowledge.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Ian

I have already found your posts on Fodor from a Google search and I think I will leave the Camino de Invierno for another year.

Back on the subject of the entry to Ourense I think the entry point to my diversion is next to a large car showroom. My guide book (Ruta del Camino Fonseca) says this is a Peugeot showroom but they also identify the main road as the N525 which is false.

Whoever you were talking to on Fodor's about the route after A Gudiña can read my 2006 journal on http://www.peregrino.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... ca04b.html

Cheers
Tom

Today was a glorious day weather wise.
I have uploaded the photos to Panoramio. Here is the link:
http://www.panoramio.com/user/3035614
I would love to make these photos and some notes in a KMZ file. However after looking around the web it seems I may have a sharp learning curve. But I do not really have the time for that. It is late now so I will not post more here until later. In the mean time is there a simple( to learn) and easy (to use) programme that will allow me to add pins and notes to a KMZ file?
Ian

it was late last night and I forgot to say the route is walkable. The most unpleasant part is the first stage where you have to walk between the car dealers and the river. The path is good but the environment not so good. The river is clean with no rubbish and at this time of year plenty of "nature".
Our map of Ourense shows that there is a proposed road running between the N525 and the Avenida de Zamora. There is a new bridge (road to which ends in a roundabout) which seems may be for this new road. If this road is built then it is possible the Avenida de Zamora will be much quieter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Ian for your last two posts.

It does seem that the route is a quieter alternative to the Av de Zamora but seems to fall apart after the bridge for the Av Marcela Macios. This is not too far to return to the main route and walk down to the market and As Burgas. Last time I walked into Ourense was after a (very) late night in Allariz for the Festa do Boi then in the evening there was a soccer World Cup match involving England so I had little time to explore the city. I will make up for it next time.

On the subject of KMZ files I will do some research for you and try and find instructions for both of us. I suspect it may involve walking about with a satnav device which may be a bit of a bother.

Thanks again

Tom

Hi Ian

I have spent the morning playing with Google Earth. If you draw a path in it (using arrow keys to shift the view in the map and + &- for magnification) you can then right click on the path in the sidebar and save as a .KMZ. Double click your saved KMZ and points etc can then be dragged onto it. Resave and you have the complete route. Attached is what I think your route was and a jpg for those not using Google Earth.

Tom

Attachments

• Diversion Rio Barbana.kmz
    2.7 KB · Views: 126
  • diversion.jpg
    diversion.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,479
Well, I found something more incomprehensible than figuring out how to upload pictures on the forum -- all of this is way above my head, but I'm impressed at how you guys have it all figured out!

I'll be walking the Vdlp in a few weeks and based on all of this, it seems like it's best for someone like me to just stick with the arrows -- having walked from Oviedo up to Aviles, into Burgos, into Logrono, and from Tui to Porrino, I assume this will be just one more industrial slog to add to the list of favorites.

Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie

You can always window shop to take your mind off the busy traffic. Ian says that the market opposite the mineral water fuente at As Burgas is a good place for supplies before going to the albergue.
Good luck
Tom

Tom
Thanks for posting the route. I did sort of try what you have prepared, but for some reason it went wrong. Plus when I wanted to add the photos it just come up with a large overlay. Maybe I need to link to the photos I published on the web rather than picking them up from my PC;

I still am an advocate of this route that Tom has identified. I know am not a pilgrim but it is much better than walking the main road. It is quiet , birds are singing and although you are in the city centre you are well away from all the hustle and bustle. Tom- yes the route does not follow the river after the bridge, but this is only a "few metres". And the small side road is so quiet.

Moving on to the exist of Ourense: I have seen pilgrims and signs of the Camino leaving Ourense via the N525 for Santiago. That is not a road to be walked with easy. I need to search this forum before I ask the question but I thought the route to Santiago went sort of Northwest to Cea, not in this northerly direction.
Ian

I hope I don't cause confusion with this post!

From Ourense I went via Cea ( pan de Cea - delicious). There are two routes listed out of Cea:

Route A going to Castor Dozon via the Monestary at Oseira ( dormitory and cold showers)

Route B going direct to Castor Dozon por el monte - the route I took.

I must confess I thought the route into Santiago was ok compared to some others - and pretty all the way to Ponte Ulla.

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Ian,Tom and all those looking for the more pleasant way into Ourense. Based on Ian's pictures (which, I think, are backwards -- the series starts at the end, I think?), here is a first stab at a verbal description of how to take this alternative walk.

Soon after Seixalbo, on Calle de la Presa, at the Peugeot dealer, the Camino sign points R, for alternative go L

Join river walk before bridge on Calle de la Presa

At back of Ford garage, go L onto Rua de Ponte Sevilla

Cross busy road at Pazo dos Deportes on Rua de Ponte Sevilla

R onto Calle Puente Codesal

L onto Rua Abrevadeiro (and go under an overpass??)

Go over bridge on Rua Abrevadeiro

Walk up Rua Ponte Pelamios. (But now where will I be??? In As Burgas? Where is the Camino from here?)

Thanks if you can help! Laurie

p.s. And once I figure out how to get into Ourense, I will be looking for advice about the route after Ourense. But I think I'll start another thread for that, because the CSJ guide is very confusing on this.

JW thanks for the information, yes that was the route I had seen. The road out of Ourense is very very busy and with fast traffic. Not my idea of a nice walk.

Laurie… I will keep a look out for your post. Your description/understanding is clear Toms KMZ flies shows the route from As Burgus and onto Santiago.

Ian
I have not yet tried to attach photos to Google Earth but logically you must upload them to a website or probably to Google Earth itself. I may try this soon because I have just discovered that my new mobile phone can be set to track me as I am walking then produce a file giving the route in Google Earth format. I will use this in my training when I can find something resembling a hill in Essex.

Laurie
Ian's route (in green on the map above) ends at the main market opposite As Burgas.

Laurie, Ian, John
I have replied to Laurie's post on the exit from Ourense.

Cheers
Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JohnnieWalker said:
I hope I don't cause confusion with this post!

From Ourense I went via Cea ( pan de Cea - delicious). There are two routes listed out of Cea:

Route A going to Castor Dozon via the Monestary at Oseira ( dormitory and cold showers)

Route B going direct to Castor Dozon por el monte - the route I took.

I must confess I thought the route into Santiago was ok compared to some others - and pretty all the way to Ponte Ulla.

John

Taking one route and only thinking about the cold showers means you will have the misfortune to miss seeing the magnificent monastery at Oseiras.
I love the building and visit it several times a year.

Tom Vickers said:
Ian
........... I will use this in my training when I can find something resembling a hill in Essex.......
Cheers
Tom

How about Havering Atte Bower? If I recall there is a water tower there and a nice park opposite.

Ian
I am using Danbury hill at the moment but there are only so many ways I can climb to the great hight of 110mtrs. May put my rucksack on and use the multi storey car park.
Tom

Hi, google earth experts,

Last week I walked into Ourense. I had written down the instructions given here, on the way to avoid the unpleasant slog into town. When I got to the Peugeot building, I took a left instead of following the camino sign to the right. Immediately, I was on a lovely river path. Well, I just stayed on the river path (though I had to cross over a busy street at the Ford Motor Co. building, but the river path was right there). I stayed on the path till I got to the end, where the river I was walking on merged into another river. Then a right hand turn, and about 10 minutes walking and I was in As Burgas.

I think this may have been a km or two longer than the recommended directions about getting off the river path at the Pazo de Deportes, but it was simple and very very pleasant. And you cannot get lost if you stay by the river.

Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi trail blazing Laurie,
Very useful info for getting into Ourense. Thanks to you, Tom, Ian and others. I remember in 2006 during that heat wave, not enjoying the suburban route into O, and catching a local bus into the historico. Next year when we do the VdlP again, will definitely use the nicer river walk. Sounds fairly easy, even we should be able to navigate it without getting lost.

I also need to find out more about the exit from Ourense.
Thanks everyone. Carole

Interesting posts, yes the walk into Ourense is very industrial, also on a very active bus route and sadly the day we trugged in (in heavy rain) a number of Pilgrims were tempted and took the bus rather then walk in the rain... bit of a giveaway when they arrived bone dry at the refuge!

The way out of town is actually very good, there are two options once you cross the bridge, don't be put off by the "steep climb" that the guide books talk about if you take the "Camino Real" on the right as while it is a steady upward hike it's not that bad and the views are great!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.