Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More questions for the guide -- ATMs, bar names, etc

peregrina2000

Staff member
So thanks to the incredibly sharp eyes of one of my volunteer proofreaders, I am coming up with some more questions.

First -- the question of ATMs. Since it is a solitary camino, people may worry about services. I think I have the ATM situation covered -- based on the sizes of the towns, I assume there are ATMS in Ponferrada, Puente Domingo Flórez, Barco, A Rúa, Quiroga, Monforte, Chantada, Rodeiro and Lalín. Have I made a mistake or missed any? Any memory of Pobra?

Second -- shops -- same as ATMs? With the occasional small shop next to a bar, which we have noted in the actual walking instructions.

Third -- here is a confusing paragraph about the bar situation in Priaranza del Bierzo.
Bar in town with pharmacy on the right and another one along the road leaving town with small shop adjoining. (Bar Taberna "El Sitio de mi Recreo" nice patio and recommended as "cozy" but does not open till late). The Bar Taberna is actually in the village itself, if you turn right after Centro Social and keep straight on. On the way to the bar is also one fuente. From the bar proceed straight, out of the village and asced on the dirt track. Much nicer than going through village on the main street.

Google tells me that the intown bar is Sitio de mi Recreo. There is also a bar named Ines, which looks like it's the one on the main road, which would also be on the camino, right? And when we say "much nicer than going through village on the main street" I assume what I shoud say is -- Going through the village to get to El Sitio de mi Recreo is nicer than bypassing the village on the main street as the Camino does.

But I confess I have NO memory of this place. Any clarification from my pals who stop at all these places?

Fourth -- Guide says Bar la Estrella in Villalibre along the highway. Google shows one called Bar Ruta 98. Are they the same?

P.S. Expect a barrage of these from me today, as I have a LONG travel day with at least a 5 hour layover -- the joys of winter travel in the midwest US, but it looks like I will make it out at least!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@wisepilgrim, why don't you write a guide to the Invierno so I can retire from this?

Another question -- Leaving Santalla del Bierzo, we say "There are two sets of arrows leading out of town, and a mojón, which keeps you on the Camino."

Then a sentence further on we say "You can, however, stay on the road, bypass the castle and go directly to Borrenes...".

So there are three sets of markings leaving Santalla? Where do they all go? Is one of them the marking that lets you stay on the road to Borrenes?

Kinky and Charrito, where are you?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First the ATMs:
- also in Priaranza del Bierzo on main motorway through village, Carucedo (a bit off the Camino to the right after Borrenes), Sobradelo and Pobra de Brollon.

Third -- here is a confusing paragraph about the bar situation in Priaranza del Bierzo.
Bar in town with pharmacy on the right and another one along the road leaving town with small shop adjoining. (Bar Taberna "El Sitio de mi Recreo" nice patio and recommended as "cozy" but does not open till late). The Bar Taberna is actually in the village itself, if you turn right after Centro Social and keep straight on. On the way to the bar is also one fuente. From the bar proceed straight, out of the village and asced on the dirt track. Much nicer than going through village on the main street.

Google tells me that the intown bar is Sitio de mi Recreo. There is also a bar named Ines, which looks like it's the one on the main road, which would also be on the camino, right? And when we say "much nicer than going through village on the main street" I assume what I shoud say is -- Going through the village to get to El Sitio de mi Recreo is nicer than bypassing the village on the main street as the Camino does.
Actually the most of this description came from me if I recall correctly.
When you come to the first houses in Priaranza there are two roads through the village. Main motorway goes straight on (that's the upper road, or slightly to the left) and has two bars, bank, pharmacy, small shop. But there is also the lower street through the village (turn right at the entrance to the village) and on this street you have fuente and taberna El Sitio de mi Recreo. I'm almost sure that the Camino takes this lower street and not the motorway. At least it is nicer and quieter. If you proceed straight on from El Sitio that's the way to ascent to the main motorway and soon you're at a platform with panoramic view just before Santalla.

As for exiting Santalla and skiping El Cornatel we already discussed this thoroughly. I'm sure camino goes to the right and through the village rather than takes the motorway. And if you take the right hand option (I don't remember any other arrows but that was in 2014) again you ascent to the motorway soon after the small white&blue chapel. At this spot you can cross the motorway and ascent to Villavieja and Cornatel or stay on the motorway to Borrenes and skip Cornatel. I remember someone even posted a map with both options coloured.

Anything else? :D

Another question -- Leaving Santalla del Bierzo, we say "There are two sets of arrows leading out of town, and a mojón, which keeps you on the Camino."
Then a sentence further on we say "You can, however, stay on the road, bypass the castle and go directly to Borrenes...".
So there are three sets of markings leaving Santalla? Where do they all go? Is one of them the marking that lets you stay on the road to Borrenes?

I also remember just one set of arrows (from 2012) but perhaps there was another set pointing along the highway. I don't really look that way if there is a better route.

there is (was in 2012, at least) another way to bypass cornatel that doesn't include the highway slogging and is much shorter. from the white chapel an old lane (possibly the old road) ascends to the highway and across it, becoming a gravel road, to the crossroad with the minor road where invierno comes down from cornatel.
see here as I walked it: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2012-143-ponferrada-las-medulas-21645612

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back