• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More Questions from a Rookie Planning His Walk

Dan the Man

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2015, 2017, 2019
Hi All:

I just wish to THANK everyone who has given me information and/or replied to my posts.

I have spent my Easter Weekend reading the many PHENOMENAL threads at the bottom (didn't know they were they or look at them prior to my other questions). I AM SUCH A ROOKIE! Thank God I can speak Spanish at a functional level.

My Camino:

I am planning to begin the last week of August 2015 and I have planned for 6 weeks plus....just in case I need more time to rest, and walk at a commfortable pace.

Currently, I have a torn disc in my back. It happens to pinch a nerve in my left leg periodically. It can cause zero or sometimes tons of pain. I am doing lots of physical activity and am doing very well and almost pain free for months now. I do see a neurosurgeon tomorrow and will ask about my "Planned Walk. We will discuss options and advice to stay as pain free as possible.

I have reading about this for 9 years and now my chance has come to do it! The informaton and advice you all provide is amazing and makes this newbie more excited to start!

I hope to purchase my flights by the end of the month!

I APOLOGIZE IF ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS SEEM RIDICULOUS. I sometimes feel the more I read, the more questions i have.

Questions I Have Despite Reading Hundreds of Threads Below:

1)
I have never walked with poles before but have been told they will be of great to help to me especially with my back issues. Can they be taken on the plane? Are flold up as good as a solid pole? Can they be bouth in St. Jean Pied du Port?

2) I see the debate of shoes vs boots may go on until the end of time. I went to 3 stores and all clerks said boots. I actually dont like boots and walk with my New Balance training shoes. I did try on several pairs of both and will go for shoes for sure. While i was in 2 stores, several customers asked where I was going and then started to tell me it will be VERY HOT and i need waterproof for rain> Others said, non waterproof as when it rains it rians and all gets wet.

I left and came home to research. So i ask, if you have walked the camino in August/September, or know those who have, WATERPROOF SHOES or NOT?

3)
If i begin in SJPDP, can I buy a Spanish SIM card for my phone in Roncesvalle, or do you think i have to wait until Pamplona?

I WILL STOP ASKING, thanks very much all!

Dan the Man

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Q1. Yes, but not as cabin baggage. Yes. Yes.
Q2. You won't advance the debate!! If you prefer shoes, wear them. I wouldn't, but clearly many do and don't have major issues.
Q3. I don't know. There may be someone retailing Spanish SIM cards in France. Others might know.

ps, don't stop asking, but spell-checking would help!

Collapsible poles are fine for most people (it is what I use as well). They lock in place when extended. Personally, I find poles extremely helpful for many reasons ranging from balance, to support on ascents and descents, easing pressure on my back, to just plain 'liking' them. However, I strongly suggest you research online *how* to use poles. Most people use them incorrectly and they are close to useless in that case. Ideally, find some local hikers willing to demonstrate it first-hand and to help you get the right technique. It is all very easy, but not always intuitive to someone new to poles. I suggest you buy poles before you depart so that you walk with poles you are already comfortable using. On the trail itself is never the time to test new equipment! As for taking them on a plane, generally you'll have to put them in cargo. Sometimes you can get them in the cabin, but usually not. If you have a doctor's letter about needing them for medically-related support (like with a cane) you *may* get them aboard the cabin. Of course, many do the Camino without poles (I couldn't - my body is far too beat up these days). Try using some on local trails before you depart and see if you like them.

As for shoes / boots, it really comes down to what you prefer. I strongly prefer boots. Despite the extra weight I find my balance is improved and the boot takes more of the 'shock' of each step. However, I know lots of people who much prefer shoes - lighter, etc. On a rugged trail, I would say anything other than boots would be begging for injuries but that isn't the case on the Francés. The route is 'well groomed' thanks to millennia of usage. The hardest part of the Camino in regards to your feet is the amount of walking on paved surfaces since that adds to the beating your feet, legs, and hips must endure. I don't usually bother with 'true' waterproof shoes. Mine are water-resistant, but that's a big difference. I find that fully waterproof shoes don't breathe well enough. I had no problems in September.

SIM - I don't recall anywhere that you can get one before Pamplona. However, I haven't been to the towns between Roncesvalles and Pamplona in a couple of years. Perhaps a new shop has started selling them...

Don't worry about asking questions - fire away. If people get tired of them, they'll just stop answering! Don't recall that happening here yet... :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you have a doctor's letter about needing them for medically-related support (like with a cane) you *may* get them aboard the cabin.
Really!! You are going to walk several hundred km across Spain and try and get your doctor to certify that you cannot board a plane without the support of poles?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh goody - we get to answer our favourite questions! (However, when I logged on, I swore I would NOT respond to any more bedbug threads today!)

1) Check a small bag/box with poles and knife. I use the fully collapsible/folding ones. Get them at home and study YouTube.
2) If I were going Aug/Sep, I would probably use non-waterproof shoes. In Oct-Nov I will take waterproof boots. Just be sure to put plenty of mileage on them first.
3) As I understand it, you're better to wait until Pamplona for the SIM card.

My $0.02:
1. Collapsibles, and if you can afford the extra$, the ones made of fiberglass are super-light; stick them into your backpack and check it in. (they let me hand carry the pack on my last 4 flights, but security varies from place to place)
2. Training shoes in August. They get wet and dry-up....fast.
3. Spanish SIM = Pamplona...and, –with your predicament–, I highly recommend you to start your camino right there as well!

My $0.02:
1. Collapsibles, and if you can afford the extra$, the ones made of fiberglass are super-light; stick them into your backpack and check it in. (they let me hand carry the pack on my last 4 flights, but security varies from place to place)
3. Spanish SIM = Pamplona...and, –with your predicament–, I highly recommend you to start your camino right there as well!
I had thought of starting in Pamplona BUT what if I did the
My $0.02:

What about if I did Day 1 on the Valcarlos Route instead of the Napolean route....do walkers go that way at all or is it just for cyclists?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about if I did Day 1 on the Valcarlos Route instead of the Napolean route....do walkers go that way at all or is it just for cyclists?
Its YOUR camino! Myself, I just don't see a compelling reason to start in SJPdP and bother with a complicated detour.
Oh, and btw: You might take advantage of your ample time and do some shopping in Pamplona; at http://caminoteca.com, you can get your sticks (as well as most other stuff) from experts hands and their tips come for free.;)

You might take advantage of your ample time and do some shopping in Pamplona; at http://caminoteca.com, you can get your sticks (as well as most other stuff) from experts hands and their tips come for free.;)

The good folks at Caminoteca are excellent - highly recommended! (though I still suggest you buy all essential gear before you go and thoroughly test it first...)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino, and don't stop asking questions:

1. I checked our poles, but others have gotten them through. If you are going to use them, I recommend getting a pair now (even if you buy another and leave them). They take some getting used to--you have to reprogram your brain to walk on four legs again. I prefer the flip-lock poles to the twist-locks--much more convenient for collapsing poles when they are inconvenient (such as in urban areas or when walking into alburgues).

2. waterproof boots were way to hot summer of 2014 (Frances, July-Aug.). Ended up with Keen sandals and trial shoes. In the rain we just walked in the sandals and changed socks when (if) the rain stopped. I would use waterproof boots only in cold weather, and you are probably clear of any of that.

3. No clue. Did not take a phone.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Buen Camino, and don't stop asking questions:

1. I checked our poles, but others have gotten them through. If you are going to use them, I recommend getting a pair now (even if you buy another and leave them). They take some getting used to--you have to reprogram your brain to walk on four legs again. I prefer the flip-lock poles to the twist-locks--much more convenient for collapsing poles when they are inconvenient (such as in urban areas or when walking into alburgues).

2. waterproof boots were way to hot summer of 2014 (Frances, July-Aug.). Ended up with Keen sandals and trial shoes. In the rain we just walked in the sandals and changed socks when (if) the rain stopped. I would use waterproof boots only in cold weather, and you are probably clear of any of that.

3. No clue. Did not take a phone.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Thanks JOJO!

Did ylou also check ylour backpack?

Hi All:

I just wish to THANK everyone who has given me information and/or replied to my posts.

I have spent my Easter Weekend reading the many PHENOMENAL threads at the bottom (didn't know they were they or look at them prior to my other questions). I AM SUCH A ROOKIE! Thank God I can speak Spanish at a functional level.

My Camino:

I am planning to begin the last week of August 2015 and I have planned for 6 weeks plus....just in case I need more time to rest, and walk at a commfortable pace.

Currently, I have a torn disc in my back. It happens to pinch a nerve in my left leg periodically. It can cause zero or sometimes tons of pain. I am doing lots of physical activity and am doing very well and almost pain free for months now. I do see a neurosurgeon tomorrow and will ask about my "Planned Walk. We will discuss options and advice to stay as pain free as possible.

I have reading about this for 9 years and now my chance has come to do it! The informaton and advice you all provide is amazing and makes this newbie more excited to start!

I APOLOGIZE IF ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS SEEM RIDICULOUS. I sometimes feel the more I read, the more questions i have.

1)
I have never walked with poles before but have been told they will be of great to help to me especially with my back issues. Can they be taken on the plane? Are flold up as good as a solid pole? Can they be bouth in St. Jean Pied du Port?

2) I see the debate of shoes vs boots may go on until the end of time. I went to 3 stores and all clerks said boots. I actually dont like boots and walk with my New Balance training shoes. I did try on several pairs of both and will go for shoes for sure. While i was in 2 stores, several customers asked where I was going and then started to tell me it will be VERY HOT and i need waterproof for rain> Others said, non waterproof as when it rains it rians and all gets wet.

I left and came home to research. So i ask, if you have walked the camino in August/September, or know those who have, WATERPROOF SHOES or NOT?

3)
If i begin in SJPDP, can I buy a Spanish SIM card for my phone in Roncesvalle, or do you think i have to wait until Pamplona?

Dan the Man
Dan, make sure your pack is a good fit. Don't skimp on this item and do not over load it. 1 pound per 10 pounds of body weight is the Camino rule of thumb but hard to stick to.

I believe that poles are still a no no for carry on. Folding poles will fit in a pack or on the outside without getting in the way. expanding pole may not fit inside. Poles will help you maintain balance. You will always have a 3 point stance. They help going up and down hill too. Get good ones, Leki or Black Diamond are good ones. I prefer folding poles over expanding. Aluminum over graphite.

On the camino, if it rains your feet are going to get wet. If it showers your feet may stay dry. I wear Adidas TerraX shoes. They're gortex and low cut and for me, have been blister free wet or dry.

If you have time you can order and receive a Spain Sim card before you leave. Just put it in your phone when you get there. Check on line.

Happy Trails

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dan, make sure your pack is a good fit. Don't skimp on this item and do not over load it. 1 pound per 10 pounds of body weight is the Camino rule of thumb but hard to stick to.

I believe that poles are still a no no for carry on. Folding poles will fit in a pack or on the outside without getting in the way. expanding pole may not fit inside. Poles will help you maintain balance. You will always have a 3 point stance. They help going up and down hill too. Get good ones, Leki or Black Diamond are good ones. I prefer folding poles over expanding. Aluminum over graphite.

On the camino, if it rains your feet are going to get wet. If it showers your feet may stay dry. I wear Adidas TerraX shoes. They're gortex and low cut and for me, have been blister free wet or dry.

If you have time you can order and receive a Spain Sim card before you leave. Just put it in your phone when you get there. Check on line.

Happy Trails
P.S. I got a European SIM card through Net Geo on line . Many plans and some include phones.

1. As far as I know, poles can only be checked on airlines. They cannot be taken on as carry-on luggage. I believe most poles are collapsable these days. You can purchase these in St. Jean.

2. I walked in spring, and hiking boots served me well. If I was going to walk in the heat of summer, I'd still wear them. But I also spend my summer months in steel-toed work boots so I think my feet are used to them. I'd go with some type of waterproofing on your footwear.

3. You can find pre-paid SIM card before Pamplona at some stores, like smoke shops and grocery stores. But I'd wait until Pamplona to buy one. You'll have more options once you're there.

Valcarlos is great! I highly recommend it!

From someone who has walked two Caminos since he found he has a disc problem that causes neuropathic pain in the right foot which is either numb and/or asleep about 99% of the time, boots and poles are essential to maintaining my stability!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I attach poles to loop on outside of pack and then get it secure plastic wrapped at airport before I check bag it. Plastic wrap is also good protection for the backpack whilst in transit.

When you get your poles, please make sure to get a rubber shoe for them as well, so you dont drive other walkers (and yourself) mad with the clack-clack-clack noise that metal tips make. And get a spare pair as well as you are bound to lose one at some point!

When you get your poles, please make sure to get a rubber shoe for them as well, so you dont drive other walkers (and yourself) mad with the clack-clack-clack noise that metal tips make. And get a spare pair as well as you are bound to lose one at some point!
Oh come on don't give away the secret, that's the only way to know there is a rookie pilgrim walking up behind you.

Thanks JOJO!

Did you also check your backpack?
No--checked only the poles. I could easily replace poles, but not the rest of my pack (the gear I saw in Spain was, I thought, heavier and of lesser quality than I could get in the U.S.). In Santiago, we mailed the poles back to ourselves because checked luggage was pricey on the return trip. They arrived 6 weeks later, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

My poles are giving me fits. I bought a perfect pair in Pamplona - with a lock/snap. We have grown very fond of each other. Now realize they are too long even when shortened to get into my bag. So I will be buying ANOTHER pair when I get there.
The Valcarlos route is absolutely beautiful. A perfect start for Camino as the vistas are so lovely. But the climb up and back down into Roncesvalles is very steep. Hours of straight up and hours of straight down. If your back is iffy I would skip it and start in Roncesvalles. Lots and lots of people start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona or in any other town along the route. There is still plenty of mountainish walking ahead of you.
The point is to be able to get out there and walk every day - not to punish yourself. You want to enjoy it and experience the fun and wonder of it - not test your endurance and capacity for misery. Send your pack ahead the first few days and definitely get the poles. They will make a HUGE difference, I spit swear. I only buy the sort with a flip lock. The telescoping type has a tendency to slip back into the sheath.
Wear trekking shoes if you prefer them - and remember that running shoes are far more slick than trekking shoes. I would not want to be on a rocky, downhill slope in the rain in a pair of trainers. You want that tread. Trekking shoes will have much better support for your heel - which will make all the difference to your back.
Get online and look at instructional videos for how to pack and fit your pack and how to lace your shoes for the best fit. Again - that will make all the difference to your pack.
And remember that it takes a few days to get your stride. Things get much easier after the first 4-5 days.

I am not one for saying "you MUST do this, or use that" ect, but PLEASE PLEASE :eek: stay clear from waterproof/gore-tex shoes in august-september on the Frances.
The weather will be way to warm for it and so will your body while walking.
Moisture will build up inside your shoe and it will be hell to pay. Gore-tex is to keep water out, not to wick moisture/sweat away. You will be far far better of with lightweight mesh shoes. Your feet need good air circulation in the weather you will have and gore-tex will give you anything BUT good airflow.
And if it rains and your shoes get wet, they dry quickly. This you also can't say about gore-tex shoes.

Great to hear your choosing shoes over boots. When i read that you said the advice was boots and you said you did not like boots, for a sec i thought...ooh nooo....if you don't like boots, don't buy 'm, don't listen to the salesperson.....and you didnt :) GOOD!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh come on don't give away the secret, that's the only way to know there is a rookie pilgrim walking up behind you.
LOL, you are too funny. The "Clicking "will drive me nuts!
From someone who has walked two Caminos since he found he has a disc problem that causes neuropathic pain in the right foot which is either numb and/or asleep about 99% of the time, boots and poles are essential to maintaining my stability!
"THANKS! I usually find boots really heavy and uncomfortable, but it seems the support is necessary

I am not one for saying "you MUST do this, or use that" ect, but PLEASE PLEASE :eek: stay clear from waterproof/gore-tex shoes in august-september on the Frances.
The weather will be way to warm for it and so will your body while walking.
Moisture will build up inside your shoe and it will be hell to pay. Gore-tex is to keep water out, not to wick moisture/sweat away. You will be far far better of with lightweight mesh shoes. Your feet need good air circulation in the weather you will have and gore-tex will give you anything BUT good airflow.
And if it rains and your shoes get wet, they dry quickly. This you also can't say about gore-tex shoes.

Great to hear your choosing shoes over boots. When i read that you said the advice was boots and you said you did not like boots, for a sec i thought...ooh nooo....if you don't like boots, don't buy 'm, don't listen to the salesperson.....and you didnt :) GOOD!
I am being told I need support from boots. I walked the 60Km Weekend to End Breast Cancer here in Toronto in my shoes and did not get 1 blister. I HATE being hot. I am assuming that an August 26th start and finishing in September means I will experience some hot weather?

I will go to Mountain Equipment Co-Op and Sail again and try more on. I will surpass the waterproof ones.

I am so thankful for the advice you all offer. It really helps!

Dan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My poles are giving me fits. I bought a perfect pair in Pamplona - with a lock/snap. We have grown very fond of each other. Now realize they are too long even when shortened to get into my bag. So I will be buying ANOTHER pair when I get there.
The Valcarlos route is absolutely beautiful. A perfect start for Camino as the vistas are so lovely. But the climb up and back down into Roncesvalles is very steep. Hours of straight up and hours of straight down. If your back is iffy I would skip it and start in Roncesvalles. Lots and lots of people start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona or in any other town along the route. There is still plenty of mountainish walking ahead of you.
The point is to be able to get out there and walk every day - not to punish yourself. You want to enjoy it and experience the fun and wonder of it - not test your endurance and capacity for misery. Send your pack ahead the first few days and definitely get the poles. They will make a HUGE difference, I spit swear. I only buy the sort with a flip lock. The telescoping type has a tendency to slip back into the sheath.
Wear trekking shoes if you prefer them - and remember that running shoes are far more slick than trekking shoes. I would not want to be on a rocky, downhill slope in the rain in a pair of trainers. You want that tread. Trekking shoes will have much better support for your heel - which will make all the difference to your back.
Get online and look at instructional videos for how to pack and fit your pack and how to lace your shoes for the best fit. Again - that will make all the difference to your pack.
And remember that it takes a few days to get your stride. Things get much easier after the first 4-5 days.

Thanks!
I had my mind set on starting in St Jean, BUT then I figured it was best NOT to. Why would I consider doing day 1 with killer hills. I may end up starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona. I am in no race and this is a gift to myself. This is my time to reflect, walk, enjoy what I see and whom I meet along the way. I do not need to test my back or discs.

I am so excited that I think it will be hard to wait until August to start!

Hi All:

1)

Hi Dan,

I brought mine with me from North America. Here's how I did it: I got a rain cover that covered my pack completely and zipped closed ( you can find them on Amazon and other places--just really a big nylon bag.). I put the closed poles in their places on my pack (in this case an Osprey Stratos 36) and made sure they were tight against the pack. Then I checked the pack through to Paris. Once there it was easy enough to unbag the pack for the train South.
Other things you can do: wrap the pack and poles with clear plastic so that nothing is hanging out to get caught in conveyors, or buy the poles in St Jean. You may pay more there, and you may not be used to them, whereas if you have a favorite set of poles it may be worth the trouble to pack them.

Cheers,

Paul

Dan the Man, your right. You are walking in aug/sept and therefor will encounter warm to hot weather. From about mid sept onwards it starts to cool down earlier at night, especially in the shadow, but during the day it can still be very warm all the way to the end of your walk. Not saying every day will be blistering hot, but it can be.

I walked in sept 2013 and 2014 and both times it was nice and warm (i like it) and some days even very very hot, in 2013 more very hot days than in 2014, but walking on nice warm days with hardly any shadow counts as a hot day in my book as well :)

Thanks!
I had my mind set on starting in St Jean, BUT then I figured it was best NOT to. Why would I consider doing day 1 with killer hills. I may end up starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona. I am in no race and this is a gift to myself. This is my time to reflect, walk, enjoy what I see and whom I meet along the way. I do not need to test my back or discs.

I am so excited that I think it will be hard to wait until August to start!
That's the ticket ;)
It was hard for me during that first 10 days or so to keep in mind that I was not in a competition, I would not be judged and found lacking if I walked slowly, took two or three days here and there to be a tourist, sent my pack ahead or pampered myself in a nice hotel every once in a while. This is your Camino. It starts where you like and it ends where you like and it takes as long as you want it to take.

That's the ticket ;)
It was hard for me during that first 10 days or so to keep in mind that I was not in a competition, I would not be judged and found lacking if I walked slowly, took two or three days here and there to be a tourist, sent my pack ahead or pampered myself in a nice hotel every once in a while. This is your Camino. It starts where you like and it ends where you like and it takes as long as you want it to take.
This post from you has completely put the wind back in my sails! I will have to explotre how to, and what happens when you send yur pack ahead.

I do hope to be a tourist along the way and take breaks. I have allowed at least 45 days if I need it

Dan

This post from you has completely put the wind back in my sails! I will have to explotre how to, and what happens when you send yur pack ahead.

I do hope to be a tourist along the way and take breaks. I have allowed at least 45 days if I need it

Dan
Well, it is very simple. Tell your hospitalero you want Jacotrans to take your bag. he or she will hand you an envelope that you will put 7 euro into and attach to your pack. You will then walk away and leave your pack at the albuergue and Jacotrans will come and pick it up with the others and drive it to the albuergue you are going to next...where it will be waiting for you at the end of the day. No mess, no stress. You can also pay them by credit card in advance - someone posted a link on here somewhere. But unless you plan to do it every day I think it would be easier to do it day by day.
I started off without any poles and carrying a much too heavy pack. By the time I got to Pamplona I was ready to quit. A kind peregrino told me about Jacotrans and walked me over to the outdoor gear store to buy some poles. It was like the sun had finally come out!
When we went we took about 2 and a half months. We walked the Camino in 6 weeks, taking lots of breaks (Burgos is amazing, a side trip off the trail for dinner at Arzak in San Sebastian, couple of days in Leon) and enjoying it, and then traveled around some. Rented a car in Santiago (after hanging out at the Parador for a couple of days) and drove to Vigo and then down through Portugal (spending a couple of nights on Portuguese beaches) to Seville and Malaga and Granada and then spent a week on the beach in Cadiz. Had a nightmarish couple of days in Morocco and a couple of lovely nights in Toledo as well. It was glorious.

Well, it is very simple. Tell your hospitalero you want Jacotrans to take your bag. he or she will hand you an envelope that you will put 7 euro into and attach to your pack. You will then walk away and leave your pack at the albuergue and Jacotrans will come and pick it up with the others and drive it to the albuergue you are going to next...where it will be waiting for you at the end of the day. No mess, no stress. You can also pay them by credit card in advance - someone posted a link on here somewhere. But unless you plan to do it every day I think it would be easier to do it day by day.
I started off without any poles and carrying a much too heavy pack. By the time I got to Pamplona I was ready to quit. A kind peregrino told me about Jacotrans and walked me over to the outdoor gear store to buy some poles. It was like the sun had finally come out!
When we went we took about 2 and a half months. We walked the Camino in 6 weeks, taking lots of breaks (Burgos is amazing, a side trip off the trail for dinner at Arzak in San Sebastian, couple of days in Leon) and enjoying it, and then traveled around some. Rented a car in Santiago (after hanging out at the Parador for a couple of days) and drove to Vigo and then down through Portugal (spending a couple of nights on Portuguese beaches) to Seville and Malaga and Granada and then spent a week on the beach in Cadiz. Had a nightmarish couple of days in Morocco and a couple of lovely nights in Toledo as well. It was glorious.

That sounds great!
I am retiring in June and this is my pilgrimage and time to put verything in perspective.
I just did 3.5 years of care - giving for my dad ( the last year was palliative) and after his passing, i knew retiring and this pilgrimage was right for me.

Burgos, and Leon are places I want to spend some extra time in.

I want to go tomorrow, but August 24th is the planned date

Dan, my first Camino was after my mother's passing. She was from Spain. My next one will be next month, after my father's death, which was 36 hours ago. My walking date was planned, but it will be even more welcomed. Good for you for looking after your father. Now take care of yourself, spirit and body.

My two cents, even if we Canadians no longer have them, so my 2 nickels, or my dime:

Take the route over the mountain. Take it easy. Stop in Orrisson if you must, but do it. It's bucket list material. One foot in front of the other, and then again.

Wear shoes. Gortex is my choice, but change socks regularly and hang the used one to dry on backpack. When you end up in rainy days, after days, and puddles you will be glad.

Be a tourist, take the detour to the Ermita, rest of feet in a steam. Take even longer if you can. If you end up in Santiago '"too early" walk to Muxia.

As for luggage on board or not: just check it, with your sticks and everything else.

Take care of yourself, do what you want to do, it's your turn to be looked after.

I've done both routes. Both are beautiful and have their easy stretches and more difficult ones.
Check out the photos I have posted on here. I have photos of both routes when I walked them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bring a spare set. I didn't and wished I had.

I think your father was a lucky man to have a son that was so careing and so strong.
For me walking the camino was and always will be the hardest thing I have ever enjoyed doing. Each days walk is rewarding, each day a suprise, every meal a feast or as Forest Gump would say, each day on the Camino is like a box of chocolates, you never know what each day will bring.

Today people walk the Caminos for a lot of reasons, religious, spiritual, health, or just because. It doesn't matter what the reason is, on the Camino we are all pilgrams and at the end of the day we are all tired;).

Go walk your Camino for whatever reason. Walk it to the best of your ability. Meet new people. Make new friends. See new places. Experience new things. Be tired at the end of the day. The Camino has a way of taking care of its own.

Happy Trails. Buen Camino

Welcome, rookie!!

Not just the click . . . click . . . click . . . but the DRAGGING of the metal tips on the ground. More annoying to me than snoring.
I tried videos to learn the "right " way to use poles, never could figure it out. I just took them and used them and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know if I used them the "right" way, but it worked for me for 900 k.

Non-waterproof boots.

The Valcarlos is lovely and is not only for cyclists. You can do it in a day. Pamplona is great!

I send my backpack as checked baggage, zipped inside a blue IKEA bag. My poles, folded, fit inside the bag, also. Bright blue is hard to overlook or misplace.

It sounds like your head and your heart are in the right place for your Camino. Enjoy yourself. I hope you find all the comfort and joy you are hoping for.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done both routes. Both are beautiful and have their easy stretches and more difficult ones.
Check out the photos I have posted on here. I have photos of both routes when I walked them.
Wow! Your photos of the Valcarlos route are magnificent. Are there still lots of people walking it? Do you feel it is best to do that route especially if i have back issues?

Dan

Be assured that there will be plenty of things to annoy you, if that is what you are looking for. All of them are out of your control, though. Only your annoyance is under your control.;):)

Be assured that there will be plenty of things to annoy you, if that is what you are looking for. All of them are out of your control, though. Only your annoyance is under your control.;):)

I dont annoy easily. With that being said, I am sure the Camino will evoke many feelings both good and not so good, LOL! I also am aware that I can probably do my share to annoy others too.

I have done enough reading to realize that this is a pilgrimage, not a 5 star holiday. My friends are all howling at the thought of me staying in an Albergue. They have bets on how long I will last, hmmm maybe friends is not the correct term? I say let them howl! My siblings think I am crazy to be so obsessed with doing this adventure. I think I am blessed to have discovered it and am now making it a reality.

This forum has just solidified that I MUST DO THIS! My dates are flexible to a degree. I can leave at the end of July, anytime in August, or September. I am sure all are the busiest times!

I think all of you pros are phenomenal in helping/advising the rookies. It shows me that the spirit of the Camino lives on well beyond Spain.

Our world could learn some valueable lessons from the Camino Pilgrims!

Once again , thanks for being kind, patient, and willing to offer advice all!

Dan

Well, I don't think Sept will be too busy. I think it would be a tad warm...but who cares? Make your next Camino a Spring time one and then you'll have that experience to look forward to, right?
Some of my friends laughed too. Shrug. Now everyone wants to do it. One friend flew out and met me for the last 10 days of it. Another friend happened to be in Spain while we were there and joined us for 3 days. As we were walking he was saying he thought the Camino should be mandatory for anyone who has lost a loved one, a job, or retired or just divorced. The Camino can flatten out those alpha waves and provide a new perspective. I agree. It IS a pilgrimage - but it is also a culture hike - not a wilderness hike. It isn't the AT or the PCT.
The tips on your poles wear out while you're walking and the metal tip pokes through. They're hard to find even if you're in a place with a gear store. So do get some extra tips. That is very good advice.
And no - I don't think you should do the Napolean way or the Valcarlos way because it is bucket list material. I think you should do what your back tells you is the best thing to do. I thought the Valcarlos route was absolutely gorgeous. You walk through the valley and the little waterfalls are incredible. But I thought plenty of other days and vistas were gorgeous too. There are so many fabulous trails near you - use this time to get into shape and then decide what you want to do. I lived in Kitchener for a while and that is my memory of Canada. All those gorgeous day hikes.
And that obsession? That is half the fun. I love that bit! I am leaving the day after tomorrow - I will go and visit friends in the Pyrenees for a few weeks and then I am going to start the Via del Norte and I am already sad that the planning stage is done. :(
(Sorry to hear about your dad- and yours Anemone. That is a tough row to hoe.)

Wow! Your photos of the Valcarlos route are magnificent. Are there still lots of people walking it? Do you feel it is best to do that route especially if i have back issues?

Dan
When I walked the ValCarlos route it was in July, the height of the Camino season, but the whole day until I reached the area of Roncesvalles I only saw about a dozen fellow pilgrims. Everybody likes to walk the Napoleon route and that was my intent, but I had no map or guidebook and ended up on the ValCarlos when I took a wrong turn of sorts out of SJPdP. On my second Camino I walked the Napoleon route. A lot more fellow pilgrims that time.
As far as your back goes, I would say it will be more important to carry the lightest backpack possible than which route to take the first day. I'm no mountaineer but honestly I don't remember having a real hard time going over the Pyrenees via the Napoleon route. Yeah, it is a steep climb, but it seemed pretty gradual to me. The ValCarlos is a lot flatter in the beginning, but there is a steep ascent as you get closer to Roncesvalles.
You won't sell yourself short doing either route. They are both good.
For sure pack extra water and food, though. Less places to stop for those provisions that first day over the Pyrenees. The first time I did it I only packed a sandwich and that was gone by 10:00 am. When I reached Roncesvalles I was so hungry I would have eaten roadkill, and there are no little shops there to get food, so I had to wait for the pilgrim's dinner that night.

I am planning to walk end of June to end of July. I have already bought my shoes (hikers) and pack and getting poles soon. I'm going to start hiking the provincial parks and anything else I can NOW to see how well I can get used to the weight of a pack and see how my shoes and socks fair out. I will have time to get something different if they aren't the right ones. It will also give me time to figure out how to use the walking poles properly. My thinking is to give everything a "trial run" including my body...it's easier to deal with things here then out on the Camino. My fear is having to pack up and go home early bc I have run into problems.

Also, I'm flying from Toronto to Pamplona then busing it to SJPP. Seemed the simplest way to go and the price was reasonable!

Shoes...just picked up some at Canadian Tire...I'm going to gradually break them in. I originally bought boots for ankle and foot stability (I work on an automotive assembly line so I have terrible feet) . I spoke to my Chiropractor about this and he said boots aren't really necessary. Make sure I have a good sturdy shoe my orthotics will fit in and use compression stockings (oh how stylish) and have a tensor or ankle brace available if needed. I'm going to spray the shoes to waterproof them. They weren't expensive....so if they don't work....work shoes!!! I wore the boots around the house and found that being higher on my ankle was annoying. I'll let you know how I'm making out with them. I think by doing a "practice Camino" on the weekends I will be better prepared. Big 50 this year...this body isn't getting any younger!! LOLOL

@Melanie McMillan
Spraying the shoes to waterproof them will affect the breathability and therefor the fabric of the shoe will be less able to allow moisture to be transmitted outwards through the fabric.

Seeing as you are walking until end of july, which is summer, i think waterproof shoes are really not needed. In fact, if it rains, wet shoes will take longer to dry when breahtability affected.

I would say the spray is even worse than gore-tex, as gore-tex is still made to be as breathable as possible from inside out. When using a spray you are actually fully closing off all entries and exits for moisture.

I would think twice on using the spray and 'trapping' in the moisture aka sweat inside your shoe.

Its just a thought, especially because you will encounter warm to hot weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Melanie McMillan
Spraying the shoes to waterproof them will affect the breathability and therefor the fabric of the shoe will be less able to allow moisture to be transmitted outwards through the fabric.

Seeing as you are walking until end of july, which is summer, i think waterproof shoes are really not needed. In fact, if it rains, wet shoes will take longer to dry when breahtability affected.

I would say the spray is even worse than gore-tex, as gore-tex is still made to be as breathable as possible from inside out. When using a spray you are actually fully closing off all entries and exits for moisture.

I would think twice on using the spray and 'trapping' in the moisture aka sweat inside your shoe.

HI Melanie:

I wouldn't worry about age. I am 53 and have disc issues in my back. I am still doing this. I have read so many threads on boots vs shoes and waterproof vs non waterproof. I bought some and am still not sure? LOL

I bought Merrell Moab Ventilators - then i was reading that the soles may not be great on rocks etc.

The only thing I am certain of is that there is no 1 shoe that best fits the many different surfaces and weather conditions on th Camino. Any boot i have ever worn has always felt uncomfortable which is why i went with shoes.

I will try them and if they seem not be right, I will always use them.

The more I read, the more I feel like returning them! LOL

Dan

My fear is having to pack up and go home early bc I have run into problems.
That is why you should never experience something for the first time on the Camino (except joy, good food, etc.). Practice, practice, practice. (E.E. Kenyon):)

The only thing I am certain of is that there is no 1 shoe that best fits the many different surfaces and weather conditions on th Camino. Any boot i have ever worn has always felt uncomfortable which is why i went with shoes.

Dan

Your absolutely right. Also there is no 1 shoe that is perfect for everybody. Feet are very personal and you have to feel comfortable with what you bought and are going to wear, no matter what me or anybody else says.
Some love boots and have no problems with them at all, others cant walk long distances in them without getting injuries. Same goes for any other type of shoe.

All i am saying is be carefull with waterproof/goretex in hot weather. And 100% you will encounter hot weather when walkimg inbetween june to sept.
Try wearing raingear in warm weaher and be active while wearing it. You will sweat like a pig underneath and the moisture has nowhere to go. Your raingear will get wet....on the inside.
That is almost similar to what will happen with waterproof shoes in hot weather. Moisture will build up quicker than it is able to leave the shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Melanie McMillan

HI Melanie:

I wouldn't worry about age. I am 53 and have disc issues in my back. I am still doing this. I have read so many threads on boots vs shoes and waterproof vs non waterproof. I bought some and am still not sure? LOL

I bought Merrell Moab Ventilators - then i was reading that the soles may not be great on rocks etc.

Dan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a ton of books and watched lots and lots of videos....I'm going to reread To Walk Far and Carry Less...it's all about what to pack, bring, etc. I have several ebooks I can share with you if you like!!

Do we all lose our minds when we hit 50? LOLOL

HI Melanie:

Dan

Dan, lots of people use Merrell shoes - the sole is fine for the Camino. It's a well worn path, not a mountain track. No scrambling required! Even the 'rougher' sections, like down to Zubiri and also to Molinaseca, will be fine in them.

Hint: el camino can mean road in Spanish.....

I actually bought Merrell Moab GTX shoes thinking to use them in Sept on the Camino. A few long walks in the English sunshine made me realise how foolish this would be - far too hot. I considered using Moab Ventilators, but the footbed was not right - the arch support was too far back and I was worried it would knock my posture/gait out and give me trouble with my knees. I ended up walking in already well worn trainers, expecting to have to replace them along the way. Much to my surprise, they made it all the way from SJPP to SdC.

I have a ton of books and watched lots and lots of videos....I'm going to reread To Walk Far and Carry Less...it's all about what to pack, bring, etc. I have several ebooks I can share with you if you like!!

Do we all lose our minds when we hit 50? LOLOL
WE dont loose them, we just have to look harder for them sometimes.

Ok now I better read To Walk Far and Carry Less!

Thanks Felice. I am liking my Merrells. They fit my orthotics well too. I am SO EXCITED about this adventure.

I had to explain to people at work what El Camino was. It is so funny that some people hear about it and think it is so maazing and want to learn more and hopefully do it. Others, think we are all crazy! LOL

My only fear is how many times i may end up doing it in my lifetime.

It's an ebook...I can email it to you if you like. No biggie!! BTW..I work on an assembly line...I tell my co workers what I am doing and they look at me like I am nuts. Have been asked if I was having a "mid life crisis"... My reply..."Probably, but this is much more interesting and I couldn't afford the new ragtop Camaro!" LOLOL

WE dont loose them, we just have to look harder for them sometimes.

Ok now I better read To Walk Far and Carry Less!

Thanks Felice. I am liking my Merrells. They fit my orthotics well too. I am SO EXCITED about this adventure.

I had to explain to people at work what El Camino was. It is so funny that some people hear about it and think it is so maazing and want to learn more and hopefully do it. Others, think we are all crazy! LOL

My only fear is how many times i may end up doing it in my lifetime.

I have several books on the Camino that at ebooks...you are very welcome to them. Just bought another...Let me know!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leaving Toronto June 25 and flying to Pamplona....returning July 24. Finishing up flight details tomorrow. I live just outside Windsor, ON. Reading has helped me become so well informed as well as a wonderful lady I met in March at the Toronto Camino Pilgrims Meeting.....best thing I ever did was go to that meeting.

You can contact me on FB...if you are on...Melanie McMillan (same pic) or my email is urbansdodgegirl@hotmail.com.

All i am saying is be carefull with waterproof/goretex in hot weather. And 100% you will encounter hot weather when walkimg inbetween june to sept.
Try wearing raingear in warm weaher and be active while wearing it. You will sweat like a pig underneath and the moisture has nowhere to go. Your raingear will get wet....on the inside.
That is almost similar to what will happen with waterproof shoes in hot weather. Moisture will build up quicker than it is able to leave the shoe.
@Dutch, I agree with your analysis, but I have never experienced such severe sweating that my feet became wet. I wear both leather and goretex lined boots in summer and the most difficulty I have had is when the water gets in through the big hole at the top of the boot!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@dougfitz i guess not all bodies are the same. Some just need to cool down faster than others and work harder at it. I get hot very easily and my body starts to try to cool down quickly and produce alot of sweat. I build up more sweat than the fabric of the shoe is able to transport out.
You really do not want to feel my feet after a few hours of running and wearing goretex shoes....and thats just in normal everyday temps where i live.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Dutch, I agree with your analysis, but I have I have never experienced such severe sweating that my feet became wet. I wear both leather and goretex lined boots in summer and the most difficulty I have had is when the water gets in through the big hole at the top of the boot!
I have to agree with Doug, Goretex has been just perfect for me over 4 walks. In fact, the worst blisters I have ever seen were on a man who walked in the rain with wet feet: he went home. My concern here for Melanie is her choice of inexpensive shoes from Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire offers all sorts ot things for the garden, the car, cleaning the house, and a bit of sporting goods, but not quality sporting goods. And feet are the only real deal breaker on the Camino. I have walked with a pair of 20$ trail runners for 2 Caminos, but they were from the Columbia outless and initially about 8 times the price. I would recommend using them day in, day out, for a good week, and also ensuring you know how to evaluate their construction before heading out.

You dont have to agree with me. It is very simple, like i said before, not all bodies react the same to heat (and excercise) and therefor produce less sweat or take longer before starting to produce it, but the technical facts about goretex are a fact. Great for keeping water from enterning, sucks at ventilating and letting moisture out and once the shoes do get wet, they are very very hard to dry.

There is an active thread about running the camino now and there are several people, runners, who also stay clear form goretex for just these reasons.

I do have some goretex trailrunners at home and i use them to go for a 1/1,5 hour run max in the rain, but no longer than that. Any longer and it will get moist in there. I never ever use them in dry weather, no matter what the temp outside is.
I will always choose ventilating mesh fabric over goretex.

A few weeks ago i went for a weeks walk from Pamplona to Burgos and encoutered sun, rain, ankledeep mudpools and snow. Yes, my non-goretex trailrunners got wet when it rained (and when it snowed, but less quickly), but as soon as it stopped raining and i was able to avoid rain and mudpools, they dried so quickly while walking, it amazed me.
This is something that gotetex shoes just cant beat, ever.

My Keens goretex shoes got soaked in heavy rain going into Estella in 2011 and I was worried that they wouldn't dry but I stuffed them with newspapers and again at bedtime with dry paper and they were dry in the morning. Thank goodness!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi All:

My Camino:

1)

3)

Dan the Man

1. I walked without poles but at least half of the peregrinos choose to use them, I don't believe they can be taken on the plane but you can check them, or yes you can buy supplies in SJPP although it is very expensive.

2. I had waterproof keens that I broke in for two months before leaving. The heat created by my waterproof shoes resulted in 12 blisters. I walked most of my camino in crocs, until they wore through, and then I bought a pair of cheap sneakers in Leon for 20 euro. Personally, if I go on a day hike I will wear high quality shoes, but if I ever do another camino, I'll be taking my favourite pair of runners and leaving my waterproof keens at home, as fun as it is to have the added weight of them on your pack. Wear nylon socks under moisture wicking socks and change your socks every day at lunch time. Buy compede.

3. No idea about the phone

Forgot to mention this: I watched a video recently...the gentleman was explaining about packing his "pack". His came with a large "sac" that he could put the pack in. He put all his extra stuff in with the pack and put it through as checked baggage. I'm guessing things such as walking poles would fit nicely in there. When he arrived and collected his "baggage" he took everything out of the "sac" and it folded up nicely into his pack for the trip home. Mine doesn't have one of these...but it's an awesome idea. If I can't find something that will work I'll be making one to fit my backpack!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back