• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More Rest Day Questions!

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I'll be starting out from Le Puy mid-August, and I'm planning on making reservations for the first week, possibly the first two weeks.

I've seen all the discussions on favorite locations for rest days, but I'm curious if it's worth planning for rest days for specific days. For instance, I know that shops in the villages close Sundays, and often Mondays. My current thinking is that taking a break on Saturday would give me time to stock up on picnic supplies for the next couple days.

I know that not everyone takes rest days, and maybe once I'm on the road I'll decide I won't either. But .. I won't be in a rush & will have the time to take a break every weekend if I'm in the mood.

And related to this: Is it easier to plan rest days in hotels rather than private gîtes? I'm still unclear if the private gîtes are closed during the day, or if it's ok to be lazy & sleep in ... or does it vary from place to place?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most private gites will want you gone during the day; that's when they clean, do the grocery run, and cook dinner. It is possible to make arrangements for longer sometimes, if you set it up well in advance. I have stayed a second night at Gite Ultreia in Moissac, and at small hotels in Conques and elsewhere. Also a private gite in SJPP.

As for planning around Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Day-you-arrive-in-town closings: You should always carry at least one day of rations with you; preferably two lunches' worth plus some snacks. It's possible to be unpleasantly surprised in this regard. You can check as to shopping when you call for a reservation; sometimes the gite host is willing to prepare a pique-nique lunch.

(Remember that most of France takes a holiday in August, and this includes private gite owners. So don't wait until the last minute to make a reservation.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Planning on stocking up on a Saturday for the next two days makes sense. If you do plan a rest day, then try to make it co-ordinate with one of the larger villages or towns, because the small places no longer have much in the way of services - the inhabitants tend to drive to shop in the larger centres.

I've been looking over the Miam Miam Dodo maps, and I was surprised at how long the distances were between some of the towns at the beginning. Luckily, I honestly enjoy planning - so it's kind of fun to map out different possible schedules.

I mapped out one schedule that starts off slow (15 km / day) and then stays at 20-22 km / day that would allow for Saturday rest-days in Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac, Figeac, Cahors, and Lectoure. Saint-Chély is the only one that I'm unsure of.

Saint-Chely is a fair-sized town and has interesting things to see (convent, church with a famous twisted steeple).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cahors has a fabulous market on Wed and Sat. The Caves of Pech Merle are a short day trip from there, def a bucket list experience.
Personally I have decided I don't like rest days. I prefer to move forward, but have the odd 8 km day, which allows me to do lots of exploring plus a couple of hours moving along the trail.
I feel otherwise that I am loosing momentum and motivation.

Hi MichaelC,
We planned our two rest days specifically to coincide with larger towns, markets, and stuff to do on the day off.
Our first rest day was in Figeac, where we slept in, visited the large market, did laundry, visited the Champollion museum and had a nice supper. (http://renesusan2015.blogspot.ca/2015/10/oct-17-rest-day-in-figeac.html)
The second rest day was in Cahors where we slept in, visited the market, wandered around the city. (http://renesusan2015.blogspot.ca/2015/10/oct-24-rest-day-in-cahors.html)
We were glad to have made these decisions, but it meant that we were bound to these days and had to keep to our schedule.
Happy travels.
Susan.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.