• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More than one credencial or passport?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
Hi! I was wondering how the credencial works: if it is two-sided or one-sided.
In the event that it becomes full and you need a second one, is it easy to find a place along the camino to get a new one? Can you ask for 2 passports right from the start, or is it not allowed?
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the event that [your credential] becomes full and you need a second one, is it easy to find a place along the camino to get a new one?

They are super easy to find. Most albergues, tourist information offices, and cathedrals along the way sell them. The Spanish are great hosts. They are prepared for you. They want you to have a great time and return over and over again.

I ran out of space on my credential just over half way through my 52 day Camino Mozárabe . I added a couple of sheets of A4 paper, supplied, cut to size and a affixed by kind hospitaleros.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2014 I walked from SJPP to Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia in 35 days and filled 3 credencials. Last year I did the same route and walked back from Muxia to Santiago, 49 days walking and 5 credentials filled.

There is no problem finding places to get a new credential at municipal albergues, tourist information offices and Cathedrals along the way. The Albergue List in the Resources Section here includes reference to places which supply credentials.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can you ask for 2 passports right from the start, or is it not allowed?
If I were to do it again I think I would take two credentials. One would be kept with my national passport and stamped once a day only at the place I was staying. The other would be used at interesting places visited during the day's walk and kept handy. If I were to lose one I still would have the other.

image.png image.jpeg
Hi! I was wondering how the credencial works: if it is two-sided or one-sided.
In the event that it becomes full and you need a second one, is it easy to find a place along the camino to get a new one? Can you ask for 2 passports right from the start, or is it not allowed?
Thanks!
I filled seven, and the final two stamps are in the eighth. I liked the French version better for two reasons. The paper is much heavier and more durable and it doesn't have the annoying dotted lines found on the Spanish version. I have two French and six Spanish. I wish they were ALL French. I became OCD about the "sellos", trying to get as many as I could. I scanned them all, along with my "Compostela" and a few other things and had a very nice 20" x 30" framed poster made.

I started with one Credential from American Pilgrims...bought another from the Pilgrim Office in SJPDP...but I only used one so I have the other for a future Camino...but one of my travel partners was on a religious Camino and stopped for a Cello at every Cathedral so he was on Credential #4 before arriving in Leon...there is nothing wrong with being Camino "stamp happy"...and it is a good way to meet people.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is no problem finding places to get a new credential at municipal albergues, tourist information offices and Cathedrals along the way. The Albergue List in the Resources Section here includes reference to places which supply credentials.
Ah, great, I'll head on over there after to take a look, thanks!

View attachment 24209 View attachment 24208
I filled seven, and the final two stamps are in the eighth. I liked the French version better for two reasons. The paper is much heavier and more durable and it doesn't have the annoying dotted lines found on the Spanish version. I have two French and six Spanish. I wish they were ALL French. I became OCD about the "sellos", trying to get as many as I could. I scanned them all, along with my "Compostela" and a few other things and had a very nice 20" x 30" framed poster made.
That is awesome :) And I agree about the doted lines. Now I know what the difference is! Thanks!!

So many good ideas and suggestions! Thank you! I love the credencial idea with the stamps, it makes for such a great souvenir of where you went.
So, if I understand correctly, the people at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP would allow me to buy 2 at the same time, when I start.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I became OCD about the "sellos", trying to get as many as I could. I scanned them all, along with my "Compostela" and a few other things and had a very nice 20" x 30" framed poster made.
I like the idea of this poster and I may try something like it. Perhaps it may even get done for Peg's birthday.

Anyway, the thought occurred to me that people who like this idea but don't want to go to the trouble of scanning and printing may want to pull out a new credential once one side of the the previous one is full. That way, once home, they can show all their sellos by tacking up multiple credentials on a bulletin board.

I like the idea of this poster and I may try something like it. Perhaps it may even get done for Peg's birthday.

Anyway, the thought occurred to me that people who like this idea but don't want to go to the trouble of scanning and printing may want to pull out a new credential once one side of the the previous one is full. That way, once home, they can show all their sellos by tacking up multiple credentials on a bulletin board.
Great idea!
So the credencials are 2 sided?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So the credencials are 2 sided?
I thought I'd answer this in detail. The credential I got from the St. Jean Pied de Port pilgrim's office in 2015 is two sided heavy stock approximately 70 cm long and 17.5 cm high (or about 28 inches by 7 inches). It is folded to form 7 "pages" per side. Page 1 of side 1 is filled with your pilgrim information; page 2 is filled with notes from the Association Les Amis du Chemin de St Jacques; page 7 has a page of the Camino Frances. Page 1 of side 2 has more notes from the Association and page 7 has a scallop shell design that serves as the cover of the credential when it is folded. When folded it completely fits inside the Brierley guide. So side 1 has 4 pages for sellos and side 2 has 5 pages. Each page can hold 8 typical sized sellos (but some are bigger than others and somtimes they are stamped in such a way that 8 won't fit.) The Association's credential has a header on each page for stamps but is otherwise blank.

See the pictures attached to earlier posts in this thread.

[I edited this page to include the following text of another post that can be seen farther down.]

If you want to display your stamps this is what I suggest; pick up maybe 3 of the credentials from the Association Les Amis du Chemin de St Jacques. Open each so the shell is on the right. On the left side fold the page so you can see the map and the shell both. Staple the left side. Now you have a 2 sided credential with 4 blank pages per side. For the nightly stamps just use the side with the map and shell. Use the side with your name and information for less important stamps. Each side should hold 24 to 32 stamps on the 4 pages.

The advantage of this is when you get home and open up a credential to pin to your wall it will have a decoration on each of the end pages (the map and the shell). Also it will be a bit shorter (60 cm or 23.5 inches) and may fit the available space or picture frame better. And if you still need space you can fold under either end page (or both) and still show all your important stamps. If you have two credentials to display you could have one showing the the map and one showing the shell. In that case they could be shown in a block 35 cm by 50 cm (or about 14 inches by 20 inches).

In the U.S. one standard picture frame size is 16 inches by 20 inches so that would hold two credentials with space at the top to create a title.

Last edited:
I thought I'd answer this in detail. The credential I got from the St. Jean Pied de Port pilgrim's office in 2015 is two sided heavy stock approximately 70 cm long and 17.5 cm high (or about 28 inches by 7 inches). It is folded to form 7 "pages" per side. Page 1 of side 1 is filled with your pilgrim information; page 2 is filled with notes from the Association Les Amis du Chemin de St Jacques; page 7 has a page of the Camino Frances. Page 1 of side 2 has more notes from the Association and page 7 has a scallop shell design that serves as the cover of the credential when it is folded. When folded it completely fits inside the Brierley guide. So side 1 has 4 pages for sellos and side 2 has 5 pages. Each page can hold 8 typical sized sellos (but some are bigger than others and somtimes they are stamped in such a way that 8 won't fit.) The Association's credential has a header on each page for stamps but is otherwise blank.

Thanks for the details! Much appreciated :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I edited an earlier post of mine to have the text of this post also.

If you want to display your stamps this is what I suggest; pick up maybe 3 of the credentials from the Association Les Amis du Chemin de St Jacques. Open each so the shell is on the right. On the left side fold the page so you can see the map and the shell both. Staple the left side. Now you have a 2 sided credential with 4 blank pages per side. For the nightly stamps just use the side with the map and shell. Use the side with your name and information for less important stamps. Each side should hold 24 to 32 stamps on the 4 pages.

The advantage of this is when you get home and open up a credential to pin to your wall it will have a decoration on each of the end pages (the map and the shell). Also it will be a bit shorter (60 cm or 23.5 inches) and may fit the available space or picture frame better. And if you still need space you can fold under either end page (or both) and still show all your important stamps. If you have two credentials to display you could have one showing the the map and one showing the shell. In that case they could be shown in a block 35 cm by 50 cm (or about 14 inches by 20 inches).

In the U.S. one standard picture frame size is 16 inches by 20 inches so that would hold two credentials with space at the top to create a title.

Last edited:
I think there is a place that will make a custom coffee mug from your credentials, too. I think there was a thread on here done about it once.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think there is a place that will make a custom coffee mug from your credentials, too. I think there was a thread on here done about it once.
That's very cool indeed. I was thinking about having something done when I'd get back, maybe I'll do just that!

I don't how the cathdral would feel about added blank sheets as it won't be making its 2€! And yes, the quality of the paper is bad; the Quebec credencial, at 10 times the price, is made of much better stock.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't how the cathdral would feel about added blank sheets as it won't be making its 2€! And yes, the quality of the paper is bad; the Quebec credencial, at 10 times the price, is made of much better stock.
Oh, there is a Qc credencial? Where can I get it?

I like the one you get at the pilgrim's office in SJPdP. It's also a heavier, thicker, better quality paper stock. You can get more than one there as far as I know.

I like the one you get at the pilgrim's office in SJPdP. It's also a heavier, thicker, better quality paper stock. You can get more than one there as far as I know.
Great, I was hoping we could get more than one there, actually

No they don't, not the qc ones the member is asking about. The cathedral's do, but those are not the ones being discussed.
I was referring to the credentials you get in SJPdP at the pilgrim's office. I know when you get one there, there's a donation of 2 euros, but I think I have heard that for another 2 euros they will give you another one.
They have stacks of them. Cool going in there just to meet and greet with the volunteers. Really gracious folks.

[I edited this page to include the following text of another post that can be seen farther down.]

Thank you so much for this information. I got exactly what I was hoping to find!

I was referring to the credentials you get in SJPdP at the pilgrim's office. I know when you get one there, there's a donation of 2 euros, but I think I have heard that for another 2 euros they will give you another one.
They have stacks of them. Cool going in there just to meet and greet with the volunteers. Really gracious folks.
I'm still debating whether to take the one in SJPP or the other that was suggested from the Tourism office. Maybe both so I have different souvenirs ;) lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm still debating whether to take the one in SJPP or the other that was suggested from the Tourism office. Maybe both so I have different souvenirs ;) lol
The tourist office credential is nice too. Thinner paper, and stamps on one side only as opposed to both sides like the one from the pilgrim's office. I think the one at the tourism office costs 2-3 euros, and they will stamp as well.

The tourist office credential is nice too. Thinner paper, and stamps on one side only as opposed to both sides like the one from the pilgrim's office. I think the one at the tourism office costs 2-3 euros, and they will stamp as well.
Will the pilgrim office accept it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They did mine in 2014. Actually it looks just like the one they sell on this forum. I think it's the same one.
Then it's the one issued by the cathedral. With its new rules about which credeciales are now acceptes, better be sure.

A somewhat related question. I've read different views that you need to have 2 stamps a day to get your compostela in Santiago. Is it 1 or 2 a day to "prove" you walked from SJPdP?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2 for the last 100 km, although it is thought that they will not look at your last 100km as carefully if you start from way back there in comparison to at the 100km mark. So if you miss one or two in the last stretch you should still be ok.

A somewhat related question. I've read different views that you need to have 2 stamps a day to get your compostela in Santiago. Is it 1 or 2 a day to "prove" you walked from SJPdP?
Yeah, they say it is necessary from the last 100k (Sarria to Santiago). It's easy enough to do. Obviously one stamp is going to be from your albergue, hotel, pensiones, etc and the other you can get from a church, cafe, tourist office or even a bar. Personally I recommend getting one from a bar at around 5:00 pm, ha ha.
Before Sarria on several days I only had stamps from the albergues.

I've read different views that you need to have 2 stamps a day to get your compostela in Santiago. Is it 1 or 2 a day to "prove" you walked from SJPdP?

In 2015, I purchased my credential in Pamplona at Jesus y Maria and stamped it there. I then took a bus to Roncesvalles where I got the second stamp. From then on, I was getting albergue stamps in my credential as I was progressing towards Santiago. Somewhere around Sarria, I got a free credential insert at a tourist office. I continued using the credential for stamps at albergues and started using the insert for stamps at intermediate locations. When I have arrived to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago I showed to them only my credential. I had the insert with extra stamps ready, but they did not ask for it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In 2015, I purchased my credential in Pamplona at Jesus y Maria and stamped it there. I then took a bus to Roncesvalles where I got the second stamp. From then on, I was getting albergue stamps in my credential as I was progressing towards Santiago. Somewhere around Sarria, I got a free credential insert at a tourist office. I continued using the credential for stamps at albergues and started using the insert for stamps at intermediate locations. When I have arrived to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago I showed to them only my credential. I had the insert with extra stamps ready, but they did not ask for it.
What's this insert, it's only pages with squares for stamps? Like a credencial without the front and back pages?

What's this insert, it's only pages with squares for stamps? Like a credencial without the front and back pages?

Yes. My insert is a two-sided piece of paper bent two times, thus providing six pages with eight places for stamps on each page. The title on the top of each of the six pages is "FIRMAS Y SELLOS." When folded, the insert shows one page, which is about 2 mm longer and about 6 mm narrower than my credential. I purchased the credential in Pamplona; the insert may fit credentials purchased in France differently.

+Regarding the stamps-sellos: besides the albergues and cathedrals are there other places that are authorized to stamp this card?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
+Regarding the stamps-sellos: besides the albergues and cathedrals are there other places that are authorized to stamp this card?
There is no such thing as an "authorized" stamp. The Camino Is not a regulated organisation, It really has grown organically. The only true rules are the 2 The Cathedral has set In order for a walker to claim a "Compostela": The minimal distance required to have been covered by foot, horse or bicycle ans The new one which states that only its credencial is valid. Even private albergues these days are opening their doors more and more frequently to both "pilgrims" and non "pilgrims", on some route more than In others mind You. Also, some will not allow You to stay with them Unless You have walked, and with your pack. No rules set In stone. Back to stamps: some business Will use the stamp the y use for their business dealings with name, adress, tel. number and that's It, while some individuals Will hand draw a "stamp" for you and date It.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.