• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More then a long walk...

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
I've always appreciated that both the forum and Camino are, for want of a better phrase, a broad church. This sites rules stress the inclusive and respectful nature of the Camino and I hope you read and respond with this in mind. I've started this thred to answer the question we are often asked about why we travel half way across the world to walk the Camino. Sometimes the question is asked with an implied (or stated) disapproving tone that as non Christians we treat the way as "any other walk". Nothing could be further from the truth.

True, as a pagan I find any walk out in the open country side to be an engaging and rewarding exercise, both physically and emotionally. Talk to any tramper, or long distance walker and you will find the love of what they do and where they go is much deeper then the footprints they leave behind. Scott and I chose to keep coming back to the different caminos in Spain because we found the history of the route and the contemplation nature of its long routes to be particularly strong. Likewise the forum provide a link and fellowship even when not on the way. I'll never forget an old German priest carefully explaining to a newbie on the road about the caminos origins with pre Christians walking westward under the Milky Way to the end of their known world. This resonated with me as I live on a island discovered by people who travelled across the largest ocean, guided by the stars, which is often depicted as falling off the edge of the map.

The Camino is much more then a long distance walk, it is a very special way of exploring how we think of ourselves and our place on the planet. I enjoy being able to talk with others who have experienced that to, even if sometimes comes out as a discussion over the merits of cold beer and facial hair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you actually a pagan or an atheist? I believe pagans historically earned their nomenclature from Christians because they worshiped a divine entity that is not the God we recognise. For example, a spiritual being, the sun, a mountain, or a rusted old wheelbarrow in the backyard....

What you describe above is your own spirituality. I never understood a friend who tried a number of years ago to explain her spirituality to me and others. We all assumed and said that she must be referring to religious matters, but she demurred, saying it could be anything. I now finally understand what she meant. It might be religious, but could also be what you have said, or any number of other manifestations of a personal realisation of what place, purpose and role our own lives have in the world. And there is no doubt walking a camino will trigger these thoughts. For me? The history, the scenery, the countryside, the fresh air, the solitude, the companionship, respecting those who for a thousand years have trodden the path before me, the sense of purpose. And a respect for simplicity and humility.

As you may have discerned, I love walking the Camino!

If you happen to be walking the Camino Portuguese in September, perhaps we will meet and spend time singeing each others' beards over a cold beer!

Are you actually a pagan or an atheist? I believe pagans historically earned their nomenclature from Christians because they worshiped a divine entity that is not the God we recognise. For example, a spiritual being, the sun, a mountain, or a rusted old wheelbarrow in the backyard....
That's a good question, with a name like Hel I guess I was always destined to be a pagan, and yes pagan, heathen, idolator are all labels given at times to non Christians. And yes my trusty old wheelbarrow is put to good use in hauling compost in my rituals of enriching Mother Earth.
Scott was an atheist, neither one of us tended to discuss our beliefs, or lack of them, as its personal and sometimes hard for others to understand. As he used to say when the subject was raised, we'd rather keep our naked dancing in the orchard, under the moonlight where it would be most affective. Scott died early this year so you have missed your chance to view his magnificent beard, but please think of him when slurping beer on your next Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's a good question, with a name like Hel I guess I was always destined to be a pagan, and yes pagan, heathen, idolator are all labels given at times to non Christians. And yes my trusty old wheelbarrow is put to good use in hauling compost in my rituals of enriching Mother Earth.
Scott was an atheist, neither one of us tended to discuss our beliefs, or lack of them, as its personal and sometimes hard for others to understand. As he used to say when the subject was raised, we'd rather keep our naked dancing in the orchard, under the moonlight where it would be most affective. Scott died early this year so you have missed your chance to view his magnificent beard, but please think of him when slurping beer on your next Camino.
So sorry for your loss Hel. I'm with you and love that you have created this thread. Thank you. I just love my Mother so much and cant wait to be totally at one with her without the constant distractions of life as I know it. I will think of you and raise a glass to Scott at the first opportunity. Tonight...a Clare Valley Red. Xxx

It's a long walk with a purpose, walking where many have walked over centuries. Finally reaching Santiago and then Fisterra for me was the goal. A spiritual experience indeed.

Last edited:
So very sorry to hear of your loss.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, it is still very raw and while I can talk about him, I can't talk about what we went through. I also can't bring myself to take his name off our profile, sorry if this is confusing,
I understand. It's no problem to leave him there with you on your forum avatar. I'm sure it's very comforting for you and helps keep his memory alive.

Hel, sorry for your loss. May Scott's paths be ever into the sun.

Pagan, or the Latin root of pagan is in paganus, the villager / country dweller contrasted with urbanus, the citizen. This self-titled pagan has always had more respect for the old gods of forest and lake, rock and hill than the creations of the monotheists and their structures of government and control. And I firmly believe that here in Europe there was a 'pilgrimage' westward to the end of the 'world' and sundering sea long before Santiago brought his mortal remains to the Coast of the Dead.

There are a couple of old threads on here that contain some great discussion on the pre-historic / pagan roots of the camino. You might enjoy searching them out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am so sorry you lost your life partner Hel. I hope you get to do another Camino and enjoy it just as much as you remember his spirit alongside you.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.