• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

more trains on renfe than omni or rome2rio?

QiTwirler

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2018, Fall 2022
There are options on the renfe website traveling from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid at noon and 2pm on Sept 20, 2022... which work better for my schedule, why do other travel tool websites like Rome2rio and Omni only show 4 making that route, 2 early in the morning, 1 late afternoon and 1 at night?
Am I not understanding the Renfe site correctly?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks like you can buy from Renfe for a variety of times. The other sites may just get a certain number of tickets from Renfe as a third party vendor? I also checked the Trainline App and it showed only the late afternoon and evening trains available while the Renfe site does have many more at this time.

I have had trouble getting the Renfe site to take my American credit card sometimes so usually use one of the third party sites, but other people have said they had not trouble or used Pay Pal.

I have had trouble getting the Renfe site to take my American credit card sometimes so usually use one of the third party sites, but other people have said they had not trouble or used Pay Pal.
I also had trouble with my US credit card on the Renfe site, but PayPal works perfectly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Off topic- I've been reading that due to the discounts for Spanish commuters and frequent travelers from Sept 1-Dec 13 that train travel has increased in popularity on some routes this week. (Media-distance and Regional).

There are options on the renfe website traveling from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid at noon and 2pm on Sept 20, 2022... which work better for my schedule, why do other travel tool websites like Rome2rio and Omni only show 4 making that route, 2 early in the morning, 1 late afternoon and 1 at night?
I do recommend that you buy while tickets are available.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Off topic but since PayPal was mentioned there is a very tricky scam involving invoices sent by PayPal. The scammers are not PayPal but the scammers used a PayPal feature to get it to email a message with valid PayPal links. The scam works when you use PayPal to view the invoice and can't see it so you call the phone number to see what is going on. It's the scammers number.

I got the message and tracked sender and links and they were valid but I was suspicious anyway because of two things. One part of the message said "debited to" instead of "debited from" and another said "$600. 00" with a space which an automated program would not do. I finally realized it was fake when I checked my file where I stored my PayPal data. It was seven years since I used PayPal and I had forgotten that I signed up for it with a different email account.

Anyway, here is a webpage with warning information and a YouTube video that explains how the scammers pulled off the trick if you are interested in the technical details.

Last edited:
I received so many scam notices from PayPal telling my account had been suspended and to respond immediately. When I looked at my account on line, no such thing. I quit using them and closed my account. I still get those kinds of notices.

I received so many scam notices from PayPal telling my account had been suspended and to respond immediately. When I looked at my account on line, no such thing. I quit using them and closed my account. I still get those kinds of notices.
No need to not use PayPal because you are sent spam from scammers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks like you can buy from Renfe for a variety of times. The other sites may just get a certain number of tickets from Renfe as a third party vendor? I also checked the Trainline App and it showed only the late afternoon and evening trains available while the Renfe site does have many more at this time.

I just used Paypal to purchase five different tickets Sept-Oct with no problems. 16 days and counting!!:D

I received so many scam notices from PayPal... I quit using them and closed my account.
Those notices didn't come from PayPal. I used to get them even before I had a PayPal account. Just like the notices about the credit cards I don't have (or even do have), and the Amazon deliveries I don't have, or the Microsoft virus I don't have. The scammers know that most people have some such accounts, so they do a blanket issue of the scam email. You will get these notices whether or not you have an account with the targeted site. Some land on fallow ground (where the recipient does have an account) and others do not.

This thread has wandered a bit but to answer the OP. It’s a reasonable assumption that the company that actually runs the trains knows what trains they are running and when.

The simplest test you can apply is to try and book a ticket for your desired train. The rest of us can only observe or discuss the wonders of internet scammers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
I believe Rometorio gives you current at the time of enquiring info. I've made the same search on different days and read different info. Try the search on the same day of the week that you want to travel.

Thank you everyone. Seems Rime2rio and Omni just show the ALVIA trains, REnfe also shows trains ALANTE-LD. I have booked one, 20e less and a preferable time of day,to me. I don’t understand why it’s cheaper or why these don’t show on Rome2Rio, hopefully it’s not a nasty surprise.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rome2rio was set up as an aggregator of information readily available on the internet but not easily accessed by people who did not know that the trains in Spain were operated by RENFE or that Southern Vectis no longer has the bus franchise for the Isle of Wight. The original developers came up with some really great software that did an amazing job at crawling across millions of data points and delivering multiple, simple resolutions to travel logistics. Rome2rio is now owned by Omio. A ticket seller. It will not point you at a logistical resolution for which it cannot sell you a ticket.
Your life has been improved. Glad to be of service 😉

Thank you everyone. Seems Rime2rio and Omni just show the ALVIA trains, REnfe also shows trains ALANTE-LD. I have booked one, 20e less and a preferable time of day,to me. I don’t understand why it’s cheaper or why these don’t show on Rome2Rio, hopefully it’s not a nasty surprise.
It's possibly cheaper because it's a bit slower (it stops at more stations) and I think you may have to change trains in Ourense. You can check the details of the trip on the Renfe site once you choose a particular train ticket, it's a link below the ticketing information.

The trains are different classes. Still should be comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rome2rio was set up as an aggregator of information readily available on the internet but not easily accessed by people who did not know that the trains in Spain were operated by RENFE or that Southern Vectis no longer has the bus franchise for the Isle of Wight. The original developers came up with some really great software that did an amazing job at crawling across millions of data points and delivering multiple, simple resolutions to travel logistics. Rome2rio is now owned by Omio. A ticket seller. It will not point you at a logistical resolution for which it cannot sell you a ticket.
Your life has been improved. Glad to be of service 😉
Now that’s interesting, I did feel recently Rome2rio wasn’t as good as it used to be. And at the beginning of the pandemic I had to really pressure OMIO to refund some train tickets, Even though I had paid for that refundable upgrade.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back