• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Morton's Neuroma

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I have unfortunately developed what I believe to be Morton's Neuroma.
It's becoming quite painful to walk on my right food :(

Does anyone on the board have this condition, and if yes, are there any home remedies you've tried that have been helpful?
I do not often frequent doctor's offices and would prefer to treat at home, if possible.
Thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Watching as I have this as well. I’ve used orthotics and cushy socks to allow long distance walking. Podiatrist recommended surgery but I said no. For those not familiar, it is like carpal tunnel of the feet.

Does anyone on the board have this condition, and if yes, are there any home remedies you've tried that have been helpful?
I do not often frequent doctor's offices and would prefer to treat at home, if possible.
Thanks.
Hi Annie
Foot pain is a pain!
I feel for you. I’ve been to a podiatrist here in Salamanca this morning 2/5/19 to get my corns clear /attended to. The calluses develop between the toes and that little corn or pointy ended thing forms where the most pressure is. I first experienced it on Le Puy in 2016 and it was awfully painful to have anything touch the toes. Took me a long time to find out what it was.. I was thinking Morton’s neuroma also for a while.
Can you get to an expert and find out exactly what it is so that you get the right info.
All I could add if it is ... Morton’s would be Mr Google.
Take care
Let us know how you manage it .

Annie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Speaking as a physician, a Morton's Neuroma is a cystic growth on one of the nerves between the metatarsal bones (the long bones in your feet leading to your toes). It is similar to a ganglion cyst, which occurs usually around the wrist. It causes symptoms either because it takes up space (like wallking with a pebble in your foot), or by causing nerve symptoms from the pressure on the involved nerve. Like a ganglion cyst, it is possible to "pop" them, if you can feel where it is. Sometimes they go away on their own. I would try something in shoes to off-load the area and take pressure off the spot.

Speaking as a physician, a Morton's Neuroma is a cystic growth on one of the nerves between the metatarsal bones (the long bones in your feet leading to your toes). It is similar to a ganglion cyst, which occurs usually around the wrist. It causes symptoms either because it takes up space (like wallking with a pebble in your foot), or by causing nerve symptoms from the pressure on the involved nerve. Like a ganglion cyst, it is possible to "pop" them, if you can feel where it is. Sometimes they go away on their own. I would try something in shoes to off-load the area and take pressure off the spot.

That's in line with my first thought which was to experiment with the placement of a self adhesive, compressed felt metatarsal pad under the insole. Before attaching with the pad's adhesive, use tape to temporarily place the pad and see how it feels. Keep shifting it around until you can pinpoint the best area to place the pad for relief.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I ve had one for a couple of years. A few weeks with a physio got me past the agony to walk stage - I was offered option of seeing doc about cortisone injection or even MRI and surgery but sticking to flat shoes and exercises (for me, calf stretches and strengthening) keeps it at bay. (NB I have yet to try multi day walking though)

So far I haven’t done anything except stay off it as much as possible. I think I need to lose about 30 pounds. It just came up out of nowhere. I thought maybe Epson salt soaks might help. I read through everybody’s suggestions and I will try some of these. Thanks all

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Anniesantiago , oh my...I think I'm developing that same thing so I am following this thread. I have found that walking in shoes with no arches exacerbates the pain, and good arches mitigates it. That said, I'm not sure my green super feet are going to cut it in the long run...ugh...

I suffered from the 'stone in my sock' symptoms when walking the CF in 2010. It prompted me to look at my footwear fit, particularly whether I was wearing boots that were too narrow, and cramping up my toes. I subsequently changed to a longer and wider fit in my footwear, and the problem has not happened since.

@Anniesantiago, I share this understanding that it is the worst of self-diagnosis and treatment, and I am not suggesting that this will resolve your issues. However, in my case, Google was my friend, and the outcome was a good result.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Anniesantiago,

I know nothing of Morton's neuroma but an ultrarunner friend started me taping my posterior tibial tendonitis (ankle / foot pain) and it's amazing how much some tape helps. Whooda thunk it. I started out with Leukotape cuz I had some but just ordered KT tape off Amazon. A good thing too cuz after 3 days the Leukotape was so itchy I had to remove it and scratch the h#!! out of the skin underneath.

Anyway, I found you a short YouTube about KT taping for Morton's neuroma, there are others.

One recommendation that a friend of mine has used and seems to work is putting foam spacers between the toes at night (e.g. those foam things that we wear when putting nail polish on). This takes some of the pressure off the metatarsal area as they will also spread out a bit. I hope you can some help with it and it gets better.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have had Morton's Neuroma for years and manage it with shoes with a wide toe box (so my toes are not scrunched together) and orthotics with the previously mentioned metatarsal pad and also a toe bar. I also got an injection of Vitamin B, but that was years ago and I can't remember if that did much good. Perhaps if you can get to a bigger city and see a Dr. you could get some type of injection and off the shelf orthotics and perhaps new shoes if your toes are feeling scrunched together.

I too have experienced this nasty thing called Mortem's neuroma - after going to two different podiatrists I had two different opinions. The first one made me orthotics and suggested a bigger size shoe. Walked a camino with this lot and had horrible pain - tossed the orthotics and lived on pain pills till I got back home. The next podiatrist suggested an orthopaedic surgeon who in turn wanted x-rays and a MRI - his suggestion was surgery. Oops that option was not an option for me. Then my chiropractor convinced me to see one more podiatrist -what did I have to loose - only some more cash but that was better than the pain. He knew exactly what the problem was - made me two little pads which he stuck to my inner soles and bid me farewell!! I have not looked back - no more pain - even managed a 1200KM camino after that. Oh I must add that going into a size bigger shoe was the worst option as it gave me pain in another area because of how the shoe bends when you walk - all technical stuff -so those shoes got tossed as well and now my new podiatrist is my next best friend - happy story happy feet and very happy pilgrim.

One recommendation that a friend of mine has used and seems to work is putting foam spacers between the toes at night (e.g. those foam things that we wear when putting nail polish on). This takes some of the pressure off the metatarsal area as they will also spread out a bit. I hope you can some help with it and it gets better.

I actually just read about this and I think it's one of the things I'll try!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have had Morton's Neuroma for years and manage it with shoes with a wide toe box (so my toes are not scrunched together) and orthotics with the previously mentioned metatarsal pad and also a toe bar. I also got an injection of Vitamin B, but that was years ago and I can't remember if that did much good. Perhaps if you can get to a bigger city and see a Dr. you could get some type of injection and off the shelf orthotics and perhaps new shoes if your toes are feeling scrunched together.

Thanks. Just bought the metatarsal pad yesterday.
Shoes already have a wide and deep toe box, but I'd been going barefoot, which seems to aggravate it.
Shoes went ON this morning

He knew exactly what the problem was - made me two little pads which he stuck to my inner soles and bid me farewell!! I have not looked back - no more pain - even managed a 1200KM camino after that.

Yes, I've heard these are miracles, so I've ordered them.
Also found a video on you tube on making your own.

Yes, I developed one on my first Camino due to wear trail shoes. Cortisone shots instantly took the discomfort away from that as the severe pain from the plantar fasciitis, as it’s an anti inflammatory. I just finished walking the Invierno route yesterday in 2 more days than I took on the Primitivo. My podiatrist added a special cushion just below the metatarsals to help prevent the neuroma from returning. It worked. But I also went to a medical massage therapist for a leg and foot massage 3x per week for 3 weeks prior to leaving home. I also walked in my backpacking boots.
She said most neuromas go away on their own with rest and massage. My cortisone shot was all I needed 2 years ago.
Just rest it it and do a good foot massage where you stretch and separate those toes.

€60,-
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
That's in line with my first thought which was to experiment with the placement of a self adhesive, compressed felt metatarsal pad under the insole. Before attaching with the pad's adhesive, use tape to temporarily place the pad and see how it feels. Keep shifting it around until you can pinpoint the best area to place the pad for relief.

The added pad in my custom orthotics is in the same place as this video. Works perfectly and makes sense from an anatomical perspective.image.jpg

The added pad in my custom orthotics is in the same place as this video. Works perfectly and makes sense from an anatomical perspective.

They can and do serve the same function. I agree that this can be a wonderful solution, especially if using a third-party insole anyway. :)

The problem I had with the built-in pad, was the positioning. If one's foot anatomy coincides with where the pad is best placed, it can work well. For me, however, no matter which brand of insole I tried, the metatarsal pad was just not quite right.

So for those who know that they need or use a metatarsal pad, definitely give the built-in version a try.

I have metatarsal bursitis, which can be s precursor to Morton’s Neuroma. I had to go back into orthotics (even though I had no pain walking a 900km Camino). My podiatrist also suggested a metatarsal dome which I am now experimenting with. I’ve also ordered the toe separators so look forward to trying them once received. I look forward to following this thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Advice from one more sufferer of Morton's Neroma. This has been a chronic issue for me for several years. I did see a podiatrist who recommended the pads suggested by others. He also said I might be experiencing metatarsal issues rather than a Mortons Neroma. In any case, the pads helped once I got the position correct - not under the balls of the foot! I also discovered New Balance Supportive Cushioning Insoles which are designed for metatarsal support. I use these in all my walking/hiking footwear, and I have not experienced pain when using these insoles. I have walked the Frances, the Ingles, Hadrians Wall National Path, and Wainwright's Coast to Coast pain free. In a week I plan to hike from Le Puy. Best of luck on finding a solution that works for you.

Aertrex makes a great metatarsal pad orthotic insole. I can’t walk the Camino without them. I have plantar fibromas in both feet, ie my plantar tendons tear painfully and I have a series of scar tissue bumps along both tendons.

Today I ordered metatarsal pads, a massager specifically for this area of the foot, and some socks that stretch the toes at night. I've also been icing the area.

I notice when I wear my New Balance, the pain ALMOST goes away, as opposed to when I'm barefoot and in agony (bummer - it's summer).

So thanks everyone . . . hoping I can cure this at home with a little work.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could it be a stress fracture? I had to wear soft crocs around the house (where I normally just wear socks) while I stopped virtually all walking for 6 weeks. But it healed perfectly with that "treatment".
I don't know
I don't recall hurting my foot

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks.
If you can big pad underneath the painful area, it will spread the toe joints and give you relief.

Thanks.
I had the surgery, it was an easy day procedure, with about a week at home with my foot up, then 4 months later I did the full Frances without any pain. I did lots of training too prior to starting. I’m currently on the CP. good luck. I should say, I was in severe pain prior to the op.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had mortons neuroma diagnosed about 3 months prior to walking the Camino Frances in 2016. I had a series of acupuncture procedures by my podiatrist and a set of orthotics fitted for my walking shoes. It was still painful when I walked on the Camino and I ended up buying a gel pad for the ball of my foot along the Way. I also found that I could walk 10 - around 12km in the morning ok but after that I would make sure I stopped every hour or so and took my shoes off for at least 15 minutes. I didn't feel the relief unless I took off my shoes and rested my feet. It wasn't pain free but worked for me and I was able to finish the Camino as I had planned.

are there any home remedies
Stop carrying the red wine in your backpack
I had quarterone needles before last year then walked in sandals with woollen socks
It works well
BUT
Walking in thongs , espadrille's and some fancy black shoes with suit still let me know its not going away.
When on this contraption i have a solid rubber ball with spikes on the floor under the desk.....big help.
Told by my Dr's etc its more common in women because of those "Pointy High Heals" you mob wear.
Went on the 800cal for 2 weeks , marriage finished after 48yrs [ blueing over a stick of celery☺] and the 8kg has made a difference. Settled back to just 6kg under and its does help.
When you consider all the km's lugging a pack with maybe no consideration to the feet years ago i think nature is squaring up the ledger.
I don't think that car over the foot in P la Reina all these years ago helped.

Go Slowly mate and enjoy and finally BAGS ahead:eek:

Interesting to read everyone's experiences as this is something I've started to experience and it's making me worry about walking long distances and after initially feeling quite upset, I am looking hopefully towards solutions and/or coping techniques

€60,-
Haven't worn pointy high heels in about 40 years so I don't think that's the problem.
But my wine???? :::whining:::
My reply was to the wrong Annie .
The other one in known to wear high heals around the Opera House and would definitely have few litres of "red" in her pack :)

This is a no brainer. Have surgery, otherwise you will walk irregular and then damage knees & hips.
The Dr said if I had surgery I would possibly loose feeling in my toe. I'll trade that any day for the severe foot pain. What was removed from between my toes at the ball of the foot was the size of a large pea.
Before surgery I tried (& it helped a bit) high end & cheap arch supports. Even extra high, extra stiff supports for heavy backpacking in the sierras. Body weight is definitely a factor, if you are big.
Even after all that, including surgery, it may return in a decade or 2, to some degree, but never as bad.
I prefer biking and enjoying the trip without the distraction of any massive pain.

€83,-
This is a no brainer. Have surgery, otherwise you will walk irregular and then damage knees & hips.
The Dr said if I had surgery I would possibly loose feeling in my toe. I'll trade that any day for the severe foot pain. What was removed from between my toes at the ball of the foot was the size of a large pea.
Before surgery I tried (& it helped a bit) high end & cheap arch supports. Even extra high, extra stiff supports for heavy backpacking in the sierras. Body weight is definitely a factor, if you are big.
Even after all that, including surgery, it may return in a decade or 2, to some degree, but never as bad.
I prefer biking and enjoying the trip without the distraction of any massive pain.

You provide a great example of what happens when surgery is the recommended method of treatment and successful. Thank goodness that you were able to deal with your foot pain from Morton's. :) 👍

As a universal recommendation for everyone with Morton's, I would disagree that the surgery is a no brainer, if you are talking about it as being a cure all. Surgical excision of Morton Neuroma has a relatively low success rate of from 55% to about 85%. . . depending on factors like the expertise of the surgeon, the type and method of the procedure used, and the extent of the involvement.

The surgery can have a long recovery period even if there is no success. Complications can also occur though the surgery is not successful. These can include a worsening of the neuroma during the recovery period, and a problem with worsening nerve pain. In other words, the surgery can make things a lot worse than they were before the surgery.

The above is one of the major reasons why more conservative management and treatments should be thoroughly tried before opting for surgery.

The issue of gait problems is not common when people are under care and receiving treatment for the Morton's. The problems with gait that you spoke of are usually restricted to a small percentage of those who do nothing to deal with the pain of the Neuroma. In other words, they do not seek care to assess and deal with the problem.

Even surgical specialists and Podiatrists do not universally recommend surgery for Morton's. But it is always an option if more conservative care and treatment fails.

Last edited by a moderator:

I disagree.
Surgery is never the go-to for my body, unless it's appendicitis or some other emergency.
While I agree that there can be damage to knees and hips with this condition, I feel massage, icing, and corrective pads in the shoes can encourage my body to do it's job and heal itself.
But I"m happy it worked for you :)

€83,-
Surgery is never the go-to for my body, unless it's appendicitis or some other emergency.
While I agree that there can be damage to knees and hips with this condition, I feel massage, icing, and corrective pads in the shoes can encourage my body to do it's job and heal itself.
But I"m happy it worked for you :)
I am with you on this. I am at the start of discussions with an orthopedic surgeon to deal with some issues with my knee that prevented me continuing on a section of the Bicentennial National Trail here in Australia that I was walking with a friend. There is a bit more (non-surgical) exploration to do, but then we will be discussing what range of responses there might be to extend my walking activities without surgery.

Whatever extension of time I can achieve will be better than immediately resorting to a surgical solution.

FWIW I rarely go to doctors but consider a visit to the foot doc well worth it. Initial visit will probably only cost that plus a set of x-rays but at least give you (or verify) the diagnosis. She / he will be able to give you some good practical advise geared towards YOUR feet. Should help sort out some of the advice given here - shoes / pads / tape / rest / ice / NSAIDs / surgery / not, etc. Keep you from wasting time so you can get back to walking Caminos. 🤗

UPDATE: Still have the pain - about the same - am in Portland now visiting my sons and Joe mentioned yesterday there is a "Good Food Store" I'm going to try before I leave.

I also have put on weight since I can't walk and that isn't helping.
Getting older isn't for sissies!

For those who asked, I've tried metatarsal pads, massage, tuning forks, special socks that spread the toes, arnica - all to no avail. There is less pain when I'm in my New Balance runners so I may just go buy a new pair of those, but I thought I'd try the Good Foot Store first.

My grandkids are at the point they want to walk the Camino, so I'm softening on whether or not I'll walk next season. It will depend on my foot.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and advice.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
UPDATE: Still have the pain - about the same - am in Portland now visiting my sons and Joe mentioned yesterday there is a "Good Food Store" I'm going to try before I leave.

For those who asked, I've tried metatarsal pads, massage, tuning forks, special socks that spread the toes, arnica - all to no avail. There is less pain when I'm in my New Balance runners so I may just go buy a new pair of those, but I thought I'd try the Good Foot Store first.

My grandkids are at the point they want to walk the Camino, so I'm softening on whether or not I'll walk next season. It will depend on my foot.

Buen Camino.
Oh Annie - I am so sorry to hear that you are still battling along with your feet - have you tried the little pads under your feet or just on the ball of your feet - it worked magic for me and still have no pain. I would really put off the op as I know someone who had the op and still has endless problems. Good luck and hope you will soon be fit and able again. Kindest regards - Marilyn XXX

Buen Camino.

I was hopeful that you might have been able to find a good solution to at least make things workable and bearable. I am sorry that you are still in so much discomfort. I am glad that you have kept us informed of your status, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Buen Camino.
A cortisone shot was the only thing that both took the pain away and as an anti-inflammatory, reduce the inflamed nerves. I haven't any reoccurrence.

€83,-
Have surgery. Googled success rate is 80%. If a good surgeon specialized in it, is much higher. Why live in pain? I have no regrets. The neuroma they removed from my foot was the size of a pea. Cortisone is a short term solution.

Have surgery. Googled success rate is 80%. If a good surgeon specialized in it, is much higher. Why live in pain? I have no regrets. The neuroma they removed from my foot was the size of a pea. Cortisone is a short term solution.
Operation makes it worse. I got my Morton´s Neuroma because of a bunion operation... Have been suffering from it for the past 3 months.... tried everything. Toe separators, sole pads of 5 types...taping, magnets, castor oil, turmeric, magnets, massage, hydrogen peroxide baths, special toe exercises, acupuncture....only ice takes away the pain instantly...temporarily. :(
Has anyone else found a permanent solution?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks.
Did you manage to resolve your Morton´s Neuroma? I can share everything I have tried, that has actually helped others. Not me...for now.
Good luck and optimism with this disastrous ailment,

I had one years ago. It caused me agony on training walks. I was due to walk a Camino in a month (can't remember which one) Podiatrist could only offer acupuncture so I agreed. I have since walked many Caminos and never a recurrence.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I got my two neuromas (one on either foot) in the army, running for years in too-tight shoes. I tried everything except the surgery, and only three things helped: 1) the calf stretches this specialist suggests, 2) metatarsal pads (the felt or wool ones, not the foam as they become too hard for me), and 3) toe separators, which I only wear around the house, not for walking.

Calf stretching
Metatarsal pads
Toe separators

I feel for you, and hope you can find a solution. Good luck!

I got my two neuromas (one on either foot) in the army, running for years in too-tight shoes. I tried everything except the surgery, and only three things helped: 1) the calf stretches this specialist suggests, 2) metatarsal pads (the felt or wool ones, not the foam as they become too hard for me), and 3) toe separators, which I only wear around the house, not for walking.

Calf stretching
Metatarsal pads
Toe separators

I feel for you, and hope you can find a solution. Good luck!
It eventually resolved on its own.

I am 28 years old and been suffering from mortons neuroma for 18 months now. I have tried insoles as well as cortisone injections and still not healed. I have recently been suffering from back pain and numbness in leg...Has anyone else had these symptoms? I am currently waiting for surgery (Delayed due to Covid) and i am keeping everything crossed that this resolves the neuroma. I would really like to know if anyone else has suffered from leg numbness and if you have has surgery, has any leg numbness/off balance walking gone away?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.