A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Mosquitoes and pollen on CP?

always me

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese(2018)
We are walking Porto to Santiago middle of May.
Is mosquito spray necessary? What about seasonal pollen?
Probably overthinking everything right now

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
Rarely encountered mosquitoes. Pollen is pollen and it is pretty bad right now, depends on what is in bloom.

miffy

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2018
If you want to reduce mozzie bites, a rad solution is to drink large glasses of G and Ts. The quinine in the tonic (if it is good tonic) is actually really good at reducing mozzie bites and you can enjoy lots of great drinks while gossiping the evenings away with friends.

surya8

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues Central, Santarem-Santiago - 2017; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia - 2018
Didn't see any mosquitos on the way, walked in May Porto to Santiago. Here in Russia they eat me alive in the forests when I go foraging, so I'd have noticed. Re pollen: smelled each and every flower on the way, they passed my test :) Didn't see any pollen in the pools, they were clear, nothing offensive pollen-like in the air apart from the combo of eucalyptus and cow dung :) That was quite memorable!

TulaB

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago de Compostela June 2018
I always bring bug juice and emergency wipes. I am loved by mosquitoes and have significant reactions but knowing others have not had issues will help me plan
Regarding cow smell, it is all your perspective. Dairy farmers say it smells like money!

pavel2

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (june 2018)
Is there any problem with insects during summer in general (esp. at night) ? Like small stinging flies or something like that?

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
Yes. Mosquitoes ate me alive on the central Portuguese route at night in the albergues. Their incessant buzzing around my head felt as loud as a fire alarm. I suggest you take repellent if you are not allergic.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Portia1 Camino Portugues 2
M Camino Portugues 1

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.6%