Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Mosquitoes, flies and other pests

mbear

I have not been successful in finding info regarding "annoying pests" on the Portugues route in July....of course the sort of pests I refer to have many legs and /or wings !!
[But I guess there are many other "pests" that can be found on the various Caminos :wink: ] What type of repelent is best? Are hat nets needed?
Cheers :)

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Re: mosquitoes/flies/other pests

Hola - I am very allergic to insect bites and stings and several times in my life I've had to be treated for anaphylaxis. I've been around Spain a lot including the Camino Portugues and the most that I've encountered are mosquitos. You will see wasps and bees along the paths particularly where there is a lot of flora. I simply use proprietary insect repellant and it works fine for me. Bedbugs are a different matter as for me a number of bites would end my camino. There is a lot of information on the forum on protection against them. Most reports of problems with bedbugs have been on the Camino Frances. See: search.php?keywords=permethrin

In other climes I've used mosquito netting. I've never found this necessary in Spain.

Please be reassured that pilgrims do not seem to find mosquitos, flies or other pests (apart from bedbugs in some albergues) a major problem.

John

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings