• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitoes

joe french

Time of past OR future Camino
from st jean, the complete st james's walk. 5 to 6 weeks
Hi, I started my france camino 28th /29th of June. . . Can i ask, Has anyone been troubled by mosquito bites ? I was bitten last year in Canada and suffered an Allergic reaction ... my arms,legs, especially my ankles got it most...I'll be taken all the precautions ...long shirts, trousers, etc...any other suggestions, and in Spain what product is best to buy for bites? I know mosquitoes & midges thrive in the warm heat, what can I expect, is there anything I can do? I Plan to start early each day to avoid the heat...thanks all advice appreciated.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The CF has, in summer, mostly a dry and hot climate, not really something mosquitos drive in. I never had any problems with them and mosquitos really do "love" me. A good product we use in Europe is Autan http://www.autan.com but careful, it dissolves plastic and I personally am not too keen to put it on my skin. Another good one, and more gentle to the skin, is Avon Skin So Soft Spray, used with great success in Scotland against the infamous midgies. But double pack it in ziplock bags, the dry oil tends to "creep" out of the bootle and can make a mess in your backpack! Buen Camino, SY

Avon Skin So Soft Spray, used with great success
Avon finally reacted to the repeated studies that Skin So Soft did nothing to repel insects -- they added picaridin, which IS effective against mosquitoes!

Picaridin repels insects, ticks and chiggers. It is a synthetic compound first made in the 1980s. It was made to resemble the natural compound piperine, which is found in the group of plants that are used to produce black pepper. Picaridin has been widely used as an insect repellent in Europe and Australia, but has only been available in the United States since 2005.

Picaridin can be used on human skin or clothing to repel mosquitoes, biting flies, ticks, fleas, and chiggers. These products may be pump sprays, liquids, aerosols, or wipes. There are about two dozen products with picaridin in them for sale in the United States.

Always follow label instructions and take steps to avoid exposure. If any exposures occur, be sure to follow the First Aid instructions on the product label carefully. For additional treatment advice, contact the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. If you wish to discuss a pesticide problem, please call 1-800-858-7378.

Some people have had skin irritation from using products containing picaridin, although this is very uncommon. If picaridin gets into someone's eyes, it may also cause irritation. When researchers fed large doses of picaridin to rats, the rats lost weight and their kidneys were affected. Picaridin is considered practically nontoxic if inhaled.

When researchers applied picaridin to the skin of rats, 60% of it went through the skin. In humans, less than 6% of the picaridin applied to skin was absorbed. Picaridin may be broken down once it is in the body. Rats and humans excrete almost all of it in their urine within a day of exposure.

Researchers did not see increases in cancer among laboratory animals after putting picaridin on the animals' skin for two years. The U.S. EPA decided that picaridin is not likely to cause cancer based on long-term skin exposure studies in rats and mice.

DEET is probably the insect repellent that melted plastic in the above post, and users should read about it (I use it to repel bedbugs, but shower in the morning).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Avon finally reacted to the repeated studies that Skin So Soft did nothing to repel insects -- they added picaridin, which IS effective against mosquitoes!

Picaridin repels insects, ticks and chiggers. It is a synthetic compound first made in the 1980s. It was made to resemble the natural compound piperine, which is found in the group of plants that are used to produce black pepper. Picaridin has been widely used as an insect repellent in Europe and Australia, but has only been available in the United States since 2005.

Picaridin can be used on human skin or clothing to repel mosquitoes, biting flies, ticks, fleas, and chiggers. These products may be pump sprays, liquids, aerosols, or wipes. There are about two dozen products with picaridin in them for sale in the United States.

Always follow label instructions and take steps to avoid exposure. If any exposures occur, be sure to follow the First Aid instructions on the product label carefully. For additional treatment advice, contact the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. If you wish to discuss a pesticide problem, please call 1-800-858-7378.

Some people have had skin irritation from using products containing picaridin, although this is very uncommon. If picaridin gets into someone's eyes, it may also cause irritation. When researchers fed large doses of picaridin to rats, the rats lost weight and their kidneys were affected. Picaridin is considered practically nontoxic if inhaled.

When researchers applied picaridin to the skin of rats, 60% of it went through the skin. In humans, less than 6% of the picaridin applied to skin was absorbed. Picaridin may be broken down once it is in the body. Rats and humans excrete almost all of it in their urine within a day of exposure.

Researchers did not see increases in cancer among laboratory animals after putting picaridin on the animals' skin for two years. The U.S. EPA decided that picaridin is not likely to cause cancer based on long-term skin exposure studies in rats and mice.

DEET is probably the insect repellent that melted plastic in the above post, and users should read about it (I use it to repel bedbugs, but shower in the morning).

thank you for getting back to me so promptly.

The post by @falcon269 is excellent. I live on a river and there are plenty of mosquitoes. I've read quite a bit about bug repellents. I've used picaridin but prefer DEET to keep the bugs away. However, since in 12 weeks in Spain in the summer I don't remember any mosquitoes and I didn't use any repellent at all I would recommend the picaridin for you. It is good (if not quite as good as DEET) and with the smell and other drawbacks to DEET it would be the better choice for the camino if you felt you needed something.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Joe, you've got some great advice about bite prevention. If you get any insect bites or stings, the Spanish Cuatroderm cream is really good. You might also want to bring a few anti-histamine tablets 'just in case'. Buen Camino!

I encountered mosquitos on the camino frances in Sept 2014, but only once.

There's a lovely section where you walk beside the Canal de Castilla, between Boadilla del Camino and Fromista. Anyway, we'd left Boadilla in the half light and we were walking along the canal just as the sun was rising. It was a magical sunrise, with a red sun that was directly above the canal, turning the water dark red. Wonderful photo op! Anyway, we were all ooh-ing and aah-ing as to how beautiful it was when someone noticed the mosquitos. They were everywhere and we all got badly bitten. Other people who walked there later were untroubled.

So the usual advice is: don't be near still water at dawn and dusk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can buy an anti-mosquito aerosol spray in most chemists. Easy to apply.
Of course you can also take a mosquito net to hang over your bed - but that's just more weight.
I hate mossies: not only the bites, but, in the early hours of the night, those high pitched whines in your ear as the attack begins :eek:!

Without wishing to be a scaremonger, please note that the Tiger Mosquito ( black & white striped) is now being seen in southeast France. These pests bite during the day, not at dusk/ nighttime like the others. I'm not saying that you will encounter them in Spain (also they are mainly urban based), but it's useful to (a) know about them and (b) report their presence if you do see them to help improve one's understanding. In France, reporting would be on www.signalement-moustique.fr.
Suzanne :)

Hi, I started my france camino 28th /29th of June. . . Can i ask, Has anyone been troubled by mosquito bites ? I was bitten last year in Canada and suffered an Allergic reaction ... my arms,legs, especially my ankles got it most...I'll be taken all the precautions ...long shirts, trousers, etc...any other suggestions, and in Spain what product is best to buy for bites? I know mosquitoes & midges thrive in the warm heat, what can I expect, is there anything I can do? I Plan to start early each day to avoid the heat...thanks all advice appreciated.
Three Caminos from June-September, never saw a single mosquito. Zero.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I was attacked by mosquitoes at the albergue in San Martin del Camino. Really bad. It wasn't until Molinaseca where a pharmacist specifically told me I was having an allergic reaction to the bites of the Tiger Mosquito, an Asian variation noted along The Camino in the last 5 years and as a sure import from Asia. I was prescribed a strong bug spray, alcohol to clean the bites (they got infected) and a cream to alleviate the itch. They looked horrendous before they got better, which eventually they did. Try not to touch them because they will spread the infection. I got a fever and loss of appetite, but truthfully it never impeded me from walking, and actually walking took the mind away from the itch. I wore long sleeves more out of embarrassment for the infected bites.

Please do know that Spain is not the tropic nor the Caribbean-- do not expect that level of humidity all along the Camino. I have walked the Camino in May-June- July and at some points in all these occasions had to wear a coat, gloves, scarf, and long sleeves.

That said, ankle bites sound more like bed bugs, specially if in bites pattern group of "threes". For sure the pharmacists along the Camino are the best as they have seen it all. Go in and ask for a strong bug spray.

In addition, you could go to a local supermarket and ask for bug spray, small wipes with alcohol or a small bottle, and anti-itch cream.

The only time I thought I had problems with mosquitoes, it turned out they were bedbugs and not mosquitoes at all.

I encountered the Tiger Mosquitoes last summer at San Anton. We assumed they were being carried by some very hot dusty Saharan winds we encountered for a week which also included small beetles falling out of the sky during the day. The mosquitoes came out just around dusk and are very large with an articulated body. The bite is very painful and leaves an ugly, itchy welt. I don't know if there is anything you can spay on your body to repel them they are just that big.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was attacked by mosquitoes at the albergue in San Martin del Camino. Really bad. It wasn't until Molinaseca where a pharmacist specifically told me I was having an allergic reaction to the bites of the Tiger Mosquito, an Asian variation noted along The Camino in the last 5 years and as a sure import from Asia. I was prescribed a strong bug spray, alcohol to clean the bites (they got infected) and a cream to alleviate the itch. They looked horrendous before they got better, which eventually they did. Try not to touch them because they will spread the infection. I got a fever and loss of appetite, but truthfully it never impeded me from walking, and actually walking took the mind away from the itch. I wore long sleeves more out of embarrassment for the infected bites.

Please do know that Spain is not the tropic nor the Caribbean-- do not expect that level of humidity all along the Camino. I have walked the Camino in May-June- July and at some points in all these occasions had to wear a coat, gloves, scarf, and long sleeves.

That said, ankle bites sound more like bed bugs, specially if in bites pattern group of "threes". For sure the pharmacists along the Camino are the best as they have seen it all. Go in and ask for a strong bug spray.

In addition, you could go to a local supermarket and ask for bug spray, small wipes with alcohol or a small bottle, and anti-itch cream.

that's good advice , i'll take it all on board, cheers biarritzdon.

I encountered the Tiger Mosquitoes last summer at San Anton. We assumed they were being carried by some very hot dusty Saharan winds we encountered for a week which also included small beetles falling out of the sky during the day. The mosquitoes came out just around dusk and are very large with an articulated body. The bite is very painful and leaves an ugly, itchy welt. I don't know if there is anything you can spay on your body to repel them they are just that big.

thank you.

okay, thank you, olivares.
but, hopefully i'll not need to go to a Pharmacists.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Joe, you've got some great advice about bite prevention. If you get any insect bites or stings, the Spanish Cuatroderm cream is really good. You might also want to bring a few anti-histamine tablets 'just in case'. Buen Camino!

Thanks Nuala, i'm sure you understand being from N. Ireland. Mosquitoes aren't a problem in Belfast. can i ask you about the heat at night in the Albergues, would it be strange if i was to take my bed mattress and place it near a window or cooler place in the Albergue, and put it back in place before i left the next morning . thanks

Nuala, Should i be getting anti-histamine from my doctors or from a chemist ? and do i take them now before i go ?

Don-- so good to see you around the forum! We met the Summer of 2014 on the Camino-- I was actually not feeling very well, specially the day on Triacastela, I always wanted to let you know that. You were so kind to me. Hope all is well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I encountered mosquitos on the camino frances in Sept 2014, but only once.

There's a lovely section where you walk beside the Canal de Castilla, between Boadilla del Camino and Fromista. Anyway, we'd left Boadilla in the half light and we were walking along the canal just as the sun was rising. It was a magical sunrise, with a red sun that was directly above the canal, turning the water dark red. Wonderful photo op! Anyway, we were all ooh-ing and aah-ing as to how beautiful it was when someone noticed the mosquitos. They were everywhere and we all got badly bitten. Other people who walked there later were untroubled.

So the usual advice is: don't be near still water at dawn and dusk.

There were swarms of midges when I walked through here. They were thick, very bothersome, and easily inhaled. I was glad to have packed a very light mosquito net to go over my wide brimmed sun hat.

Mike

a very light mosquito net to go over my wide brimmed sun hat.
My Lowe Alpine hat has a net that stores in the top of the hat. Unfortunately, the model has been discontinued. There may be other brands. It is not useful at night, but was essential on a couple of stretches of the Camino.

Fire and safety regulations may prevent a hospitalero from permitting you to put a mat on the floor near a window. I take a small battery operated fan to circulate hot albergue air!!

There's a lovely section where you walk beside the Canal de Castilla, between Boadilla del Camino...
The only place I was bothered by mosquitos was also near Boadilla del Camino, but it was walking into the town, not out of it along the canal. It was fairly early in the morning, around 8 or 8:30 am.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Nuala, i'm sure you understand being from N. Ireland. Mosquitoes aren't a problem in Belfast. can i ask you about the heat at night in the Albergues, would it be strange if i was to take my bed mattress and place it near a window or cooler place in the Albergue, and put it back in place before i left the next morning . thanks

Hi Joe, each albergue is different and some are warmer than others. I don't think you'll be able to move your mattress, as this would probably inconvenience those around you. Are you bringing a sleeping bag or a sheet bag? A silk sheet bag (Decathlon and Cotswold sell them) will keep you much cooler on warm nights.

Nuala, Should i be getting anti-histamine from my doctors or from a chemist ? and do i take them now before i go ?

I just buy mine in Boots, but you can also get them free on prescription. There's no need to take the tablets in advance. I always bring a small supply for hayfever or bites/stings. If I need more, I buy them in Spain.

You're right to give some thought to bite prevention and treatment, but there's no need to worry excessively about it. If you run into any problems on the Camino, you'll get plenty of help. As others have said, the pharmacists are a font of knowledge and most speak very good English. They can help you with all sorts of issues.

Good luck and Buen Camino. Not long now for you!

In another thread I read this morning mosquitoes were reported between SJPdP and Logrono. The spring has been reported as wet.

I was going to add the you do not need DEET stronger than 30% and went to look this up for verification and came upon the excellent website below that compares insect repellents for effectiveness and safety. It is designed for North America in its use of naming but picaridin is also known as icaridin and may be known by that name in Spain.

Bringing a bottle of funny smelling liquid with you may upset the airline security people so know how to buy what you need in Spain in case you have to give up your bug juice in exchange for continuing your trip.

The Environmental Working Group
http://www.ewg.org/about-us

EWG's Guide to Bug Repellents in the Age of Zika
http://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-guide-bug-repellents
There is a box on the right with links to the various pages of the guide.

Or download these documents that look as if they have all the same information without all the clicks:
http://static.ewg.org/reports/2013/bug_repellents/2013_EWGs_Guide_to_Bug_Repellents.pdf
http://static.ewg.org/reports/2013/bug_repellents/EWG_BugRepellentTips.pdf

The only place I was bothered by mosquitos was also near Boadilla del Camino, but it was walking into the town, not out of it along the canal. It was fairly early in the morning, around 8 or 8:30 am.

I got bitten in Boadilla too, in 2012. I had quite a nasty reaction compared to how my body had usually responded to mosquito bites in Canada, and it was only after my Camino was finished that I learned about Tiger Mosquitoes. I thought maybe I'd been bitten by them (they seemed to resemble the photo I saw afterwards online, but I'm not sure). I was quite happy to escape being bitten in 2015, except for one that got me on the back of my leg. By the way, I still feel a little bit badly for disbelieving a pilgrim on my first Camino in 2010, when I and several other pilgrims thought that mosquitoes didn't exist on the Camino, and secretly thought she really had bedbug bites when she was itching and scratching. Oops! I know now differently, especially having experienced it myself!

Rachel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back