• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitoes?

Anna-Marie

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to walk the Gudbrandsdalen way starting at the end of this month. I'm just wondering if there are likely be a lot of mosquitoes and/or other biting insects. I've been planning to camp, mostly, but that doesn't seem like it will be very pleasant if there are lots of bugs.

Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are mosquitos everywhere in Norway, but they are not dangerous. Most when there is water around or wet ground. There is also a bigger black klegg, take bites of your skin, not dangerous, but irritating. Then the veps but they don’t stick unless you irritates it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At the moment in Oslo, and and especially areas just North of - we are getting what we call the «flom/flood» mosquitoes, this tends to be a short season (2-4 weeks), but hopefully this will have abated by the time you start your walk, and it will then be back to «normal levels». I camp fairly often in the forest areas around Oslo, both with hammock and tent - and do need to use repellent, but others I know never seem to get bitten nor bothered. Some areas have klegg/horseflies, and there are ticks around in forested areas. It´s the «usual»; if you feel you are a target for insects where you live, you will proably feel the same here...

Hi,
New member here, heading to the Camino de Frances this very Saturday.

I love hiking and normally use the Nordic Summer insect repellent paste - you can buy on Amazon. It works wonders with mosquitoes (though not with midges, and probably also horseflies).
It is not toxic and has a lovely wood fire smell. I normally leave the tin open next to me when I sleep and spread it on strategic body areas when I walk. Just be aware that it is oily and may stain your clothes.

Norway is astonishingly beautiful - enjoy your trip!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back