• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitos on Camino Frances in Sept/Oct?

Tim and Paula

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2019)
Probably another dumb question but are there Mosquitos present on the Camino Frances September or October? On this mornings training walk here in tropical Mexico, we encountered quite a few of these flying delights, which had us wondering if we'd be seeing them again this fall. More my issue than hers since I usually act as her garlic necklace for flying critters while she attracts all the bities that swim in the ocean. Any input gratefully received.
Buen Camino!

Tim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I attract mosquitos terribly, and I've never had a problem in Spain, with 4 trips there in Sept/Oct.
Buen Camino!

At the risk of mockery or deep sighs from an audience who have heard it all before: of course there are mosquitoes on the Camino huge ones, man-eaters, but luckily they don’t eat pilgrims - apparently they taste to bitter 🙃Mosquitoes, bad ones, prefer a more tropical climate than northern Spain has to offer. Which is not to suggest that normal sensible precautions should not be taken if you find yourself close to static & limpid water sources. Exposed mosquito food should be treated with mosquito repellent wherever the little sweeties are present. Or we can all just sit near you @Tim and Paula, in which case we can avoid the cost and weight of a small tube of repellent 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I remember swarms of little flies near Astorga. They don't bite (apparently), they are just annnoying. It was in a short stretch of the Camino, and disappeared where the terrain went higher.
Now, the GMGBs (that's the acronym for Genetically Modified Giant Bebdbugs) are another, definitely creepier story...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Probably another dumb question but are there Mosquitos present on the Camino Frances September or October? On this mornings training walk here in tropical Mexico, we encountered quite a few of these flying delights, which had us wondering if we'd be seeing them again this fall. More my issue than hers since I usually act as her garlic necklace for flying critters while she attracts all the bities that swim in the ocean. Any input gratefully received.
Buen Camino!

Tim

Tim, I walked the CF in starting mid-September and ended November 4th - not a mosquito . . . zip . . . nada.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino!

Tim
Why not just buy or being some mosquito spray/ cream/wipes with you?

I was bitten by a mosquito on my 2nd camino in 2014. Taking a wild wee, bitten on my leg I hasten to add! I realised in retrospect I have had stepped in a small puddle of stagnant water. I didn’t really feel the bite just realised after another mile or two that my leg was hurting. Stupidly didn’t want to slow down my companions and only investigated when arriving at our destination. By this time the bite had been rubbed by the seam of my trousers and within a day became infected. A trip to the medical centre necessitated anti-inflammatories, anti-histamines and antibiotics. Still have a scar to this day. I must admit I’m a hyper reactor to any insect bite. I’m just glad I didn’t ever come across any of the dreaded bed bugs. I’m the only person I know that was bitten by a mosquito, that’s over three separate trips to the Camino, all September/October. I would take extra precautions if you react badly to bites.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You probably need to take precautions for possible encounter with Bedbugs more than mosquitos in the Fall! I must have the right kind of blood... have been bitten in the fall by BBS on 3 different caminos...never in the winter or early Spring. I carry a package of deet wipes should I encounter crawlers or dive bombers. I have never had a problem with mosquitos in the fall....

Last edited:
Mosquitoes, bad ones, prefer a more tropical climate than northern Spain has to offer.
You haven't heard about the mosquitos in northern Ontario, in the Canadian tropics? OK, so they don't carry malaria but they are otherwise very bad!

I have never seen/noticed a mosquito in Spain, but I am pretty sure they are there.

You haven't heard about the mosquitos in northern Ontario, in the Canadian tropics? OK, so they don't carry malaria but they are otherwise very bad!

I have never seen/noticed a mosquito in Spain, but I am pretty sure they are there.

The Alaskan mosquitoes are fierce, too :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the responses. I don't react badly to bites, normally. But Paula and I have spent the last 13 years in the tropics where our little flying "friends" are a fact of life and got a very mild case of Dengue a few years ago in Guatemala. So I take a little extra care so that I don't have a repeat of that lovely episode. Deet is indeed our friend but the smell is kind of off-putting. We found this other stuff called Picaradin, which was recommended by cruising pals as working better than deet and no smell or melting of plastics that make Deet so much fun. So we'll be bringing a small bottle with us.

Thanks again for all those who've helped. I look forward to the day we'll be with you on Camino in a few months.

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico

Thanks for all the responses. I don't react badly to bites, normally. But Paula and I have spent the last 13 years in the tropics where our little flying "friends" are a fact of life and got a very mild case of Dengue a few years ago in Guatemala. So I take a little extra care so that I don't have a repeat of that lovely episode. Deet is indeed our friend but the smell is kind of off-putting. We found this other stuff called Picaradin, which was recommended by cruising pals as working better than deet and no smell or melting of plastics that make Deet so much fun. So we'll be bringing a small bottle with us.

Thanks again for all those who've helped. I look forward to the day we'll be with you on Camino in a few months.

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico

I've walked Frances twice in the September/October time frame and mosquitoes are definitely not an issue. Bringing repellent is up to you, but it isn't needed. Besides, Spain does have a variety of stores and shops which do carry repellents -- just like any first world country -- so you do not need to worry about a 'just in case' scenario.

I walked the first 230 miles of the Frances in early October, and scarcely encountered a gnat or mosquito.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked from Burgos last Sept/Oct. No skeeters, one case of bedbugs is all.

I have never encountered a mosquito on the Camino Frances, but walking in the fall after the farmers have turned over the fields, the small flies were very annoying. A wide-brim hat and a bandana over my nose and mouth worked just fine. We decided they were dive-bombing our faces because they could see their reflection in our sunglasses and wrongly thought there was a mating opportunity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Frances Sept 22 - Nov 03,2017 and had no issue with mosquitoes. I will say that I did run into some big as heck biting flies for a few days.

Buen Camino!

Tim
Might see you in Sept/ Oct. Starting on 5th Sept.
X d

Deet is indeed our friend but the smell is kind of off-putting. We found this other stuff called Picaradin, which was recommended by cruising pals as working better than deet and no smell or melting of plastics that make Deet so much fun. So we'll be bringing a small bottle with us.
Try out that Picaradin at home pre-camino. I've tried it in place of DEET in New England USA and I was very disappointed with the repellent results (although the smell, stickiness and non-solvent properties beats out DEET for sure). I'm unsure of the availability of DEET in Spain but I have read that Picaradin based repellents are very common in Europe. You may want to bring the DEET with you as Picaradin should be easily available.

Corrections welcomed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Rick--we live in Tropical Pacific Mexico and the local mozzies seems to want nothing to do with Picaradin. Northeastern versions and the ones we used to encounter in the Sierras might be more resistant to it. From all the posts, it sounds as is mosquitos won't be much of an issue and, if they are, so be it--we'll just purchase what we need locally rather than haul our own goo from Mexico via the States. Thanks for all the kind replies!

Tim

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back