• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitos on Frances in May… June?

Shazenalan

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018
On my last Camino Frances in September 2018 & 19 I had no issues with being bitten except by the canal in Fromista where they ‘got me good!!’ This time Im starting in May, a wetter time of year - will there be more or less mosquitos then? 🤔😬🥾👣🙏🙏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my last Camino Frances in September 2018 & 19 I had no issues with being bitten except by the canal in Fromista where they ‘got me good!!’ This time Im starting in May, a wetter time of year - will there be more or less mosquitos then? 🤔😬🥾👣🙏🙏
I live in North Carolina and have a knowledge of the blood sucking pests. I have walked a dozen Caminos and never had a mosquito problem . The don’t have screens ! Only flys sometimes in food areas. Why I don’t know ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Never been bitten on the Frances, and I react badly to mozzie bites. I carry a tiny 50%DEET spray which would see me through to the next farmacia.

That is reassuring 😊 In Fromista we stayed in a Casa Rural - enjoyed the garden in the early evening then the lady of the house suddenly ran indoors. We were puzzled until we saw the mozzies - and we also ran in and closed our room windows. Perhaps it is only Fromista? I react to bites - they were at least 1.5” in diameter - hence wanting to check in with the ‘hive mind’ about May conditions. 😵‍💫😬🙏

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I remember the canal at Fromista.....

It was early morning, still dark, when someone behind shouted 'ooh, look at the sunrise' I turned, and there was indeed, a spectacular sunrise. The sun was rising through the thin clouds, giving them a wonderful orange and red glow, and its reflection was playing on the still water of the canal. Breathtaking. My photo does not do it justice at all.

I heard the first blood sucker approach my ear at the same time as I became aware of one on my arm. I began to swot and flap at them. Behind me, others were frantically doing the same. The peaceful moment savouring the beauty of the morning was completely shattered and we all made a dash to complete the canal section as quickly as possible.

By the time the sun was properly up, the mosquitos had gone for the rest of the day, no doubt well fed, to get ready for the next batch of unwary pilgrims the following day.

Attachments

• canal beyond Boadilla.jpg
    canal beyond Boadilla.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 13
I remember the canal at Fromista.....

It was early morning, still dark, when someone behind shouted 'ooh, look at the sunrise' I turned, and there was indeed, a spectacular sunrise. The sun was rising through the thin clouds, giving them a wonderful orange and red glow, and its reflection was playing on the still water of the canal. Breathtaking. My photo does not do it justice at all.

I heard the first blood sucker approach my ear at the same time as I became aware of one on my arm. I began to swot and flap at them. Behind me, others were frantically doing the same. The peaceful moment savouring the beauty of the morning was completely shattered and we all made a dash to complete the canal section as quickly as possible.

By the time the sun was properly up, the mosquitos had gone for the rest of the day, no doubt well fed, to get ready for the next batch of unwary pilgrims the following day.
A tale well told there - thank you! I think we will be sure yo walk right on through Ftomista at midday this time. 😬👣🥾👣🥾

I walked during that time and didn't notice any mosquitos. But there were a couple of areas where the flies were viscious...walking right through small farms with stables/barns on either side of the path.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked my Camino in May/June and I did not encounter any mosquitos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Didn't encounter any mosquitos on the Francés in april/may, june and july. Also no ticks at all. Very different from where I live! Awesome!

Now the bad part is that there are bed bugs instead. I'd take ticks, mosquitos, fleas, scabies and lice over bedbugs any day. All off them together instead of bedbugs would still be fine. But oh well, you can't have it all.

I'm the proud owner of an anti-bedbug tent now! Probably will get bitten anyway... but it's all worth it. Even the hospital visit!

I've walked five various Caminos in Spain and Portugal in mid April through May and never had even one mosquito or bug of any kind: the Le Puy route in June and still no bugs!

I personally have never experienced a single mosquito whilst walking the Camino multiple times, June-November, and didn't encounter any on the Portuguese July and August.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Only flies, on the mesetas after Burgos, big black flies made me happy to have brought a headnet.
That was in the beginning of Octobre.
On the Via de la Plata, in May, mosquitos during the night at the albergue de embalse de Encantara.
Somebody meant they had been bitten by bedbugs, but coming from the arctic of Norway, with a lot of mosquitos during summer, I heard the summing during night and covered my head with a net and was not bitten.

Last edited:
I didn't experience any mosquitos in June (and July). Gnats - these are another story! Somewhere either at the end of the Meseta or near O Cebreiro if I am kind of remembering correctly - gnats were definitely a nuisance.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back