• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitos on the CF?

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
I seem to be a mosquito magnet and suffer all summer at home since our mosquito district no longer actively sprays and now just goes around and fines people with standing water...

Anyway, how bad are the CF Mosquitos? I leave in less than 2 weeks and will be walking Bizkarreta to Burgos including museum days in Pamplona, Burgos and Madrid. I am packing my anti-itch creme, and that barely helps. Do I need to pick up the local version of DEET at the first pharmacy I come upon?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be interested to see replies- I walked in Oct 2012 and was all prepared with my big spray....which I didn't use even one day!! I am also a mosquito magnet and had no issues at all; not sure if they are an issue at certain times of the year or not...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Got bitten at one Albergue between Santiago and Finisterre (in early October).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I usually walk in the Spring-mosquitoes have not yet taken off their long handles (thermal underwear with a back window) to come out and pester the pilgrims. Possible hotspots – Portomarin that's not a lake you are crossing as you come in but reservoir, prime skeeter breeder; El Burgo Ranero where the only pastime is sitting on a bench, watching the sun go down, and listening to the evening concert of 3 million frogs croaking happily in their pond. The locals don't feed them so they are eating something above the waters

I didn't get bitten at al on the Frances last year April/May. This year I walked the Portuguese route from Lisbon, where there is a great deal of walking alongside rivers. I walked for a couple of weeks with an Australian woman who took garlic pills to ward off insect bites. It worked! All the blighters that would have bitten her flew straight by and landed on me - and I consequently got twice my share of bites. Since returning home I have followed my companion's example and have been taking garlic capsules and have really noticed a difference. They will take a couple of weeks to get into your system, but worth a go, even though they taste disgusting!

Hi, from one mosquito magnet to another!
In Sept/Oct I got bitten on and off all along the way. I mixed citronella oil into a body moisturiser and used it every day,but it didn't help :( Tea tree oil dabbed onto my clothes seemed to help a bit. I got some good anti itch cream from the farmacia...
Walking and talking and wine all help take your mind off it!
Buen camino!
Ps that reminds me, about the garlic... It's also supposed to help taking B vitamins, or eating a lot of marmite .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have done two summertime Camino Frances (2013 and 2014). On both of these I was never bitten by a single mosquito. In fact I did not even see a single mosquito. I am quite familiar with the insects, having lived in south Louisiana and south Texas all my life.
Personally I would leave the repellent at home. You won't need it. Use that space in your pack for sunscreen or chapstick.

GD-- I was bitten by the Tiger Mosquitos after Leon and that was not fun. A pharmacist saw the infected bites and knew right away the culprit-- not the average mosquitoes (which I never had a problem with at the Camino), but a new Asian species already showing up at the Camino. She gave me a heavy duty repellent to spray over neck, arms, and shoulders eery 12 hours. Not a problem after that. I had to buy creme to minimize itching and alcohol pads to clean bites. I still have some marks, but the good news is that the bites never prevented me from walking. I suggest you wait to get to Spain and see the extent of th eproblem. I was there in July (2014). Buen Camino.

I seem to be a mosquito magnet and suffer all summer at home since our mosquito district no longer actively sprays and now just goes around and fines people with standing water...

Anyway, how bad are the CF Mosquitos? I leave in less than 2 weeks and will be walking Bizkarreta to Burgos including museum days in Pamplona, Burgos and Madrid. I am packing my anti-itch creme, and that barely helps. Do I need to pick up the local version of DEET at the first pharmacy I come upon?

As a general statement, mosquitos will be more prevalent where there are good breeding sites nearby. As egg-laying involves using stagnant water to serve as a "nest," mosquitoes could be anywhere along the Camino. However, they are likely to be less prevalent along the driest, least populated areas (the Meseta) with the driest and hottest conditions.

There are several primary elements to attracting mosquitoes and most other nuisance insects: body scent and carbon dioxide. We can control some of the targeting components. Others are beyond our control. Here is what I learned based on some fast research:
  • A mosquito has a variety of ways of finding their prey, including chemical, visual, and heat sensors.
  • The feeding preferences of mosquitos include those with type O blood, heavy breathers, those with a lot of skin bacteria (scent), people with a lot of body heat, the pregnant, and those exuding sweet scents from body hygiene products.
  • Female mosquitoes hunt their blood host by detecting organic substances such as carbon dioxide and other scents produced by the host, and through optical recognition. Mosquitoes prefer some people over others.
  • The preferred victim's sweat simply smells better than others because of the proportions of the carbon dioxide, octenol and other compounds that make up body odor. The sweeter you smell, the tastier you are to a mosquito.
  • A large part of the mosquito’s sense of smell, or olfactory system, is devoted to sniffing out blood sources.
Generally, the search for a host takes place in two phases. First, the mosquito exhibits a nonspecific searching behavior until the perception of host stimulants, then it follows a targeted approach.

So, while you can reduce your attraction to mosquitoes, there is no way to completely avoid getting bit. What I would suggest, based on my findings and personal experience growing up in a US state where the state bird was the laughingly regarded to be the mosquito, as large as hummingbirds some said, are the following steps.
  • Do not wear, wash, groom, bathe, or apply any substance on your body that contains ANY scent. This includes deodorant, liquid soap, hair products (there is no such thing as a good hair day on the Camino), shave cream, perfume, cologne, make-up, etc. The sole exception would be toothpaste, as that is internal (ish).
  • Use plant-based, scent free, glycerine or olive oil-based soaps for ALL of you, to the maximum extent possible.
  • Shave rarely using a scent-free cream, or not at all. Many men grow Camino beards, and (ladies) no one can see your legs or other places anyway. Think of it as a vacation...
  • Try not to exhale profusely. Yes, I know we all exhale, but try to do so "delicately" especially if you are sitting still in a hot, humid area where mosquitoes are likely to be. A large exhalation of carbon dioxide is like chumming the sea to attract a shark.
  • In my experience, I also found, empirically (not scientifically) that brighter colors that appear to be local flowers will also attract mosquitoes and other nuisance insects, again, especially if you are sedentary. If you are moving, the attraction is not so great. But if the mosquitos think you are a large shrub with lots of nectar containing flowers they are going to come closer for a more careful look-see. Once they do that, they will smell your scent and detect the CO2.
Those of us who are NOT type O blood are at an advantage. The rest of you will need a DEET containing repellent and an after bite, anti-itch cream.

I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a general statement,...I hope this helps.
Thanks T2andreo, I did know all that and practice all the anti-mosquito plans!! I live in the desert 1.5km from the nearest water source (a running river) and the little buggers still find me. Your posting will be helpful to those that don't know much about mosquitoes.

I have not seen a mozzie yet and i am more than halfway through. Hope this helps. Ps there a farmacias everywhere so do not over pack.

I have not seen a mozzie yet and i am more than halfway through. Hope this helps. Ps there a farmacias everywhere so do not over pack.
Hi Rodger welcome to the forum been here I see for some time but your first message just 5 minutes ago on Camino what a way to celebrate. Have a great adventure and Beun Camino pilgrim.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I heard a lot about teatree oil, it does have a stronge scent though. I'm getting ready to go on my first camino at the end of September and thinking of getting some.

Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back