• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitos on the VDLP?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I've never had a problem with Mosquitos in Northern Spain, on the Camino Frances or Aragones.

However, in Portugal, they ate me alive!

Are there Mosquitos on the VDLP in May / June?

Anyone with experience?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes they do! Even with the windows open. I am hugely allergic to mosquito bites and wasp stings With mosquitos if I am bitten the eruptions can take two/three weeks to disappear. I carry antihistamines and adrenalin but avoidance is better than the cure! They work.

But I wouldn't want anyone to think that Spain is infested with clouds of killer mosquitos and every pilgrim should carry insect repellent and mosquito nets. That isn't the case and I suppose 99% of pilgrims wouldn't be bothered by them. Those who are know their own reaction to them. Spanish farmacies are super helpful if anyone needs antihistamine creams etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mosco or mosquito in Spanish.

a sting or a bite is a picadura

allergy is alergia

Antihistamine is antihistaminico

Anaphylactic is anafiláctico/a
Anaphylaxis is anafilaxis

Let's hope no one has to use the latter!

Haha! So I DID go buy a mosquito net !!
Are you saying I don't need it?
I've never found Mosquitos on the Camino Frances but they ate me alive on the Portugueserout and I thought a net might be a good option. It only weighs about 3 ounces.
Are there trees or places I could hang a net to sleep outdoors if I chose?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally I have never seen a mossie on any of my 5 caminos or taken a spray. Unlike here in Australia.:)

I walked through terrible mosquito clouds on the VDLP one September. A local told me they usually come out in August, but they were later that year (or maybe it was that they were staying around later). They weren't the kind of mosquitoes that we have in the U.S. in that their bites didn't leave you with large, itchy welts. They were smaller and blacker, but got on EVERYTHING. Even though I had a wide-brimmed hat on, in the worst spots (forests where there was little breeze) I had to walk swinging my trekking poles in front of me, or else they'd be in my eyes, ears, nostrils, etc. When I took out my camera and took the lens cap off, they'd immediately be all over the lens. It was awful.
This was the stretch from Salamanca on. The worst areas/forests were around Puebla de Sanabria to about A Canda.

Note: I didn't have bug spray, so maybe I would have fared much better if I had some. Also, locals told me the bugs were called mosquitoes. I don't know if there are different kinds, as Johnnie Walker's description of them sounds like the kind we have in the U.S., and these definitely looked quite different and didn't have bites that left the typical itchy welts. In fact, you just felt little pinches but I didn't end up with hardly any kind of marks on my body. Still, they were annoying.

Melanie

Only place where I saw mosquitos on the VdlP was around Embalse de Encantara. Heard them during the night at the albergue, but put my bedbugsheet over my head and was not bitten. Other people had a lot of bites.
Randi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back