• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitos, snakes and budgeting(hostel prices)

ruah.b.p

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto-Finisterre along the Camino Portugues in June 2013
Hola peregrinos,

Myself and a friend are starting from Porto next Wednesday and flying home to Ireland from Santiago on June 25th. We plan to do the last leg to Finisterre too.

Does anyone know are there mosquitos in Portugal/Spain at this time? The only pest related complaint that I've heard was the bed bugs in hostels. Since part of the route goes through forest, does anyone know are there snakes in these areas?

Finally, approximately how much money can I expect to need? I've heard that the alberges are mostly free, asking only for a donation, or otherwise cost €5 on average. Is this still the case? Does anyone know of a recently updated list of hostels and their details?

Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ruah. b.p.,

There may be mosquitoes, gnats and flies, but hardly dangerous snakes!

Here is an online list of all the albergues on the Portuguese route,ie Todos los albergues del Camino Portuguése >> http://todosloscaminosdesantiago.com/ca ... ues-etapa1

Another useful link for Galician albergues on the Camino Portuguese is this Eroski list which cites prices >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... portugues/

See also this earlier Forum thread >> el-camino-portugues/topic18493.html

By the way mid December 2011 while walking 'backwards' from SdC to Tui along the CP I stayed in the Galician albergues from Padron through O Porrino. All were great and wonderfully HEATED for winter.

Bom Caminho,

Margaret Meredith

Hello ruah.b.p

Well, we are not having the best weather that we could have in this time of the year, but it’s hot enough for mosquitoes. And yes, we usually have them in this time of the year.

About the snakes, well, you must be carefully. It makes some time that I don’t hear anything about snakes in the Camiño, but hey, try not to go to places where you cannot see your feet. Almost all the snakes that you’ll fine in Portugal and in the Galicia Region are not venous at least for humans, but they can make you have some kind of allergy or something like that if you’re bitten. But from what I’ve seen in the Camiño this year, you will not have problems ;)

The Official Albergues from the Via Xacobea network right now are costing 6€ per person/per night. You will also find some private ones that can practice the same price, but mostly Private Albergues have a cost between 10 and 15€.

I spent 275€ (I spent actually a little bit more that what I intended, but it’s ok, brought presents for my mom and other people in the family, and stayed 2 nights in Santiago) this year doing the Camiño, mostly the expensive things that you’ll find will be in Portugal, because you will not find many places that have the Menu Pelegrino (a menu for lunch and sometimes dinner that includes Entry’s/Soup, main Course, dessert and Water or a glass of Wine) I think that, 400€ it’s enough for you to spend in all this. You can spare some money at night and in the morning for example, if you after your bath and all of that go to a supermarket and buy something light for dinner, and breakfast for the next day.

I’m seeing that you’ll have almost an entire month to do it, which I think it’s too much, 2 or 2 and a half weeks would be perfect for that. That’s why I’m increasing a little bit the budget ;)

Best regards
Diogo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back