• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mosquitos, ticks or other wild life on the CF

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The beastie of choice on the Camino is bed bugs. Mosquitoes and ticks are not really an issue. In September though, you will probably have your first encounter with the night time visitors. To my knowledge, nobody has died from this yet. If you search the forum, you will find lots of advice about this, which won't change too much, but might make you feel better.

Buen Camino!

Walked in September and October this year. Bunch of flies in one small town in La Meseta, no other issues, I would not worry about carrying mosquito repellant. Feliz Navidad y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The biggest problem I encountered was flies on the meseta. Most of the albergues and businesses have beads hanging in their doors that keep the flies outside. They were annoying but not dangerous. Luckily I didn't encounter bedbugs, but talked to and saw a few folks who did.

I will be walking the CF in September next year. Should I plan on finding mosquito, tick or other little beasties along the route?
Corrine, welcome to the forum. You'll encounter all of the above but none to nuisance levels if you follow the excellent advices to be found here. The dread bed bug - our closest companion for the last million years - is around of course. Mosquitos & ticks are an occasional but rare nuisance. The usual, sensible, precautions will deal with them all.
The other things to be ware of: Smuggits and Platitudes abound, as do Bintheredonethats. None of these present any real threat so long as you walk your Camino for the reasons that you want to walk it.
Walk to Santiago, as many have - the little beasties can never stop you ;);)

Why not bring a headnet to put over your caps if there are flies. Does not weigh or cost much. Have met some storms of flies on the meseta in september/october and envied those who have brought a net. Could be good at night too if there are mosquitos in the room

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never encountered anything not even a cockroach, coming from Australia it's a dream country.

I've been told that auberges that have wood floors are the ones most likely to have bed bugs. To keep critters out of your pack, place it in a large plastic trash bag and tie it tight. Hope for the best for yourself in bed.

Hi Corinne, good question. I have being going to Camino to offer first aid and pastoral care since I did my virgin Camino from Moissac in the year five - do you know, I don't think I have ever been mosquito bit, nor heard one whining by my ears, but that may be faulty memory. Wait, once in Fromista!! have also never personally encountered bed bugs, though the thought makes my skin crawl, but I have helped many who have had a strong allergic reaction to them.

As for tics, in the last twelve years I have never been concerned about these, not at all, until I contracted Lyme's disease from a really brief tic bite on the Meseta this spring. Not too pleasant and I am now totally wary!!!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn’t see tics, flys or mosquitoes. I did see a big old wild boar, thankfully he was dead laying in the path and someone was coming to haul him away. I did unfortunately deal with bed bugs, once I did all of laundry in high heat after a few days with cream from the pharmacy all was good. Enjoy your walk, bugs and all.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back