A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Mosquitos.....

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
Are they a problem on the VdlP? I guess it depends on time of year?

Sadly I have trouble with them. I seem to be a magnet for them and get very bad reactions to the bites.

Is there a season for them?

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
I did not find mosquitoes to be an issue on the VDLP, mostly because it is so dry and mosquitoes need water to breed. I am a mosquito magnet too. The Portuguese is the one where they are me alive and kept me up nights dive bombing me. Bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzz!!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sep/Oct 2015
Camino Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Fatima Santiago Sep/Oct 2017
Are they a problem on the VdlP? I guess it depends on time of year?

Sadly I have trouble with them. I seem to be a magnet for them and get very bad reactions to the bites.

Is there a season for them?
I too am very attractive to mosquitoes. I was devoured by them on the Portugese in 2017 even though someone tried to convence me that the were not mosquiteos! I had walked in 32deg C during that particular day, dry and hot. BBZZZZZzzzzzZzzzZ all night. It was late September/early October. The weather certainly changed and becam damp as I progressed north into Galicia. Had no problem in Spain.

Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
I walked in May and the only place I saw moquitos was in the albergue at Embalse Encantara. Some people were badly bitten and thought it was bedbugs, but coming from a mosquitoarea I heard the sound of mosquitoes during night, put my bedbugsheet over my head and was not bitten.

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
I was once a believer that there were no mosquitoes on the Camino until this year. They are voracious along the Canal de Castille and because of the rain in the Meseta they were flying out in waves from the poppies along the path.

Advertisment

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I walked the VdlP in three sections: October, January and February. No problem with mosquitos anywhere along the way. I may just have been lucky in October which was very warm, and they probably don't fly much in the middle of winter...

surya8

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues Central, Santarem-Santiago - 2017; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia - 2018
No mosquitoes this June from Verin/Laza to Santiago (last 200km), I'd have noticed as I am a mosquito magnet as well.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Anniesantiago Via de la Plata 12
Stephen Nicholls Via de la Plata 18

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 164 25.4%