• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Most bizarre question(and most misunderstood) ever asked about the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunsta

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 Portuguese 2023 Ingles 2023
OK. I have a somewhat strange question to ask. I will say that I only ask it as it pertains to a slight medical condition I have, which at times can be very embarrassing.
Question is, at the bars and cafe's on the Camino Frances, do they sell coffee in take away containers with lids? I have watched several YouTube video about the Camino and at all the cafés and stops, all I ever see are those pokey little standard cafe cups.
I know it sounds like an extremely trivial question, but its one I have to ask. And no its not because I like my coffee on the move.
Cheers
Craig

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can't say I ever actually noticed that. But then again, I'm not a coffee drinker.

ola Craig -

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly (English is not my first language) but I've brought along my own li'l cup (plastic with stainless steel inside) with plastic lid (Illy, Italian made) - and often used it as I have not ever seen take-away cups with lids anywhere. not even in large cities.

Sometimes some bars/cafés were very noisy (courtesy of loud TV noise) and i was happy that I had that option available and took my coffee outside -

I am not sure if it has answered your question, but there you have it :)

Bom Caminho!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nope. I once saw a guy joke sarcastically, when asked the best thing about living in Spain...." ummmmm coffee to go?"

Thanks for the answers so far. From the sounds of it, Ill be dealing with less hot beverages whilst on Camino.
On another note it could be a great new Spanish business venture.
Camino coffee to go,

@hunsta

You will be able to find "coffee to go" in all the big cities along the Camino. That possibility dwindles when you come to small towns.

Ondo Ibili !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola

My experience is also that there were limited or no options to have your coffee to go.
Personally, there were two reasons to make a bar/cafe stop for a coffee.
The coffee and an option to.. not walk.
To sit inside and get warm and take of the boots to allow the feet to breath.
I understand that you have a personal reason for asking this question, but in general I think pilgrims use the stop to relax, drink, eat, water fillings and talk.
While walking is can be hard to drink, eat or talk.

I also carried a plastic cup, but this I usually used in the morning for tea or bottled brewage.

Buen Camino
Letinggo

I LOVE coffee to go, but when walking the camino i stop for a coffee, not for just one minute to walk on again with a coffee in my hand, but to take my time to sit, rest and enjoy my coffee. Not sure if coffee a la starbucks would be a hit on the camino :)

Btw, I've never seen coffee to go along the way (excl big cities).

Am I right in thinking that coffee is sometimes served in beaker-type glasses in Spain? I don't know if this would be a help or a hinderance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ni
OK. I have a somewhat strange question to ask. I will say that I only ask it as it pertains to a slight medical condition I have, which at times can be very embarrassing.
Question is, at the bars and cafe's on the Camino Frances, do they sell coffee in take away containers with lids? I have watched several YouTube video about the Camino and at all the cafés and stops, all I ever see are those pokey little standard cafe cups.
I know it sounds like an extremely trivial question, but its one I have to ask. And no its not because I like my coffee on the move.
Cheers
Craig
No they don't, maybe plastic cup but no lid

Cafe solo is a true delight and a soul saver along the Camino, the café/bar serves as a meeting place and rest for pilgrims as well as a communication center for all. To place such a beverage in a paper cup with a plastic lid borders on sacrilege. Please remember that while the Inquisition was first instituted in France, it was perfected in Spain. Consider a small, light, thermos fitting into the lower pocket of your backpack which I am sure any barista will be happy to fill.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola

My experience is also that there were limited or no options to have your coffee to go.
Personally, there were two reasons to make a bar/cafe stop for a coffee.
The coffee and an option to.. not walk.
To sit inside and get warm and take of the boots to allow the feet to breath.
I understand that you have a personal reason for asking this question, but in general I think pilgrims use the stop to relax, drink, eat, water fillings and talk.
While walking is can be hard to drink, eat or talk.

Letinggo

I LOVE coffee to go, but when walking the camino i stop for a coffee, not for just one minute to walk on again with a coffee in my hand, but to take my time to sit, rest and enjoy my coffee. Not sure if coffee a la starbucks would be a hit on the camino :)

I am happy that "to go" hasn't hit big in Spain. Fewer throwaway containers = less waste = less litter tossed along the trails.
If you want to travel with your cuppa Joe, bring an insulated mug of your own, and reuse that.

Cafe solo is a true delight and a soul saver along the Camino, the café/bar serves as a meeting place and rest for pilgrims as well as a communication center for all. To place such a beverage in a paper cup with a plastic lid borders on sacrilege. Please remember that while the Inquisition was first instituted in France, it was perfected in Spain.

Thanks heaps for all your replies. I take note of everyone's input, however I specifically stated that my question was not asking if I could have my Cafe latte on the run. Sipping ever so gayly as I make my way down the road of self indulgence. I realise the cafés are a place to stop, rest and gather. The reason I asked is that I have a medical condition that makes holding a cup full of liquid without a lid, extremely hard. So much so to the point of embarrassment.

I guess I have the answer to my question

The reason I asked is that I have a medical condition that makes holding a cup full of liquid without a lid, extremely hard. So much so to the point of embarrassment.
My Parkinson's hand shake is bad enough that I use two hands (or a straw) to drink. I have never had a problem downing a Spanish cup of coffee!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you want a good sized cup of coffee you need to ask for the breakfast size, or just 'very large'. The cups get smaller as the day goes on, in our experience. A cup of your own with a lid/drinking straws would probably be a good idea. I am sure that they would pour your coffee into it for you. If you are unsure of the Spanish then maybe get a translation and print it on some cards so that you can show one to ask about your coffee, or any other drink.

Starbucks, which you can find in Madrid near Atocha and probably in other big cities in Spain (not sure where you fly into) sells permanent cups with lids. I'm sure they have them in Australia. I suggest you take your own and just pour the coffee into it, or ask the bartender to put your coffee in your own cup. Shouldn't be a problem :)

Cheers
Craig
We were at the counter in Pamplona at the bus station Bar and a man got a coffee "take away." We had an hour wait, so we got our coffee for "take away," too. From there on out, we noticed the "take away" signs posted on the windows of bars or looked behind the bar counter to see if there were paper cups. It was handy to get coffee to go.. enabling us to sit outside away from the noise to chill and wait for our bus/train to arrive. If they served without lids, we just asked for a lid, tho the coffee was so hot, we had to remove them to cool down & not burn our tongues! Or leave the lids on to savor longer! ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm sure there are places along the Camino that you can get coffee to-go, but I don't remember seeing any.
I would think that bringing your own travel type coffee cup with lid would be your best option. I don't think they would mind filling it for you or you can transfer the coffee to it yourself. I imagine they have ones specifically for backpacking for sale in the various outdoor retail outlets.
My morning fix of coffee along the Camino was always a highlight of the day.

I PM'd you, Craig :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers
Craig

Spanish people would not think of drinking coffee on the run. It is to be sipped slowly, preferably with another person, while enjoying good conversation. I once made the mistake of asking for a coffee to go and the bar tender looked at me uncomprehendingly. The look on his face said it all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
those pokey little standard cafe cups
Spanish coffee is made like espresso, so cups are small -- demitasse size. When milk is added, a slightly larger cup is used. For a cafe con leche grande, a larger cup is used. Only the larger one will be large enough for even a normal coffee cup in the U.S. It is rare that coffee is percolated or pot brewed, so there are no refills. Even a slow sipper is done in a minute or two! You could transfer the coffee to your own cup, but it would pretty much disappear.:)

Spanish coffee is made like espresso, so cups are small -- demitasse size. When milk is added, a slightly larger cup is used. For a cafe con leche grande, a larger cup is used. Only the larger one will be large enough for even a normal coffee cup in the U.S. It is rare that coffee is percolated or pot brewed, so there are no refills. Even a slow sipper is done in a minute or two! You could transfer the coffee to your own cup, but it would pretty much disappear.:)
My husband & I drink cafe Americano's and we indicate with our fingers a "tall" cup. We got regular sized cups doing this. A few times we'd need to answer "grande" if they seemed confused.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Folks, ask for a "café con leche" and a "madalena" for breakfast, and you will receive an approbatory nod from bartenders. This is the quintessential Spanish breakfast.:)

Thanks for the answers so far. From the sounds of it, Ill be dealing with less hot beverages whilst on Camino.
On another note it could be a great new Spanish business venture.
Camino coffee to go,
Heaven help us. There is already quite enough trash out there, at least on the Frances, certainly not as much of the Norte.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heaven help us. There is already quite enough trash out there, at least on the Frances, certainly not as much of the Norte.
We also took Starbuck's VI instant espresso. All it needs is hot water. We had collapsible camping cups and quite handy for a quick cup of coffee early in the AM before Cafés/Bars opened up. Some alberque's had pretty hot tap water! Some had kitchens to boil water... you will have lots of ways to get your cup of Java! :)

Folks, ask for a "café con leche" and a "madalena" for breakfast, and you will receive an approbatory nod from bartenders. This is the quintessential Spanish breakfast.:)
Yeah, it makes for a nice snack, but every chance I got I'd grab a tortilla or bocadillo to go with my coffee.

Oh, you're breaking my heart!!!;);)
I'd order the cafe Americano's most of the time too. The cafe con leche is OK (reminds me of the cafe au-lait we have here in New Orleans) but a lot of mornings I needed a little more lead in my tank. ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Cheers
Craig
The largest cafe con leches are mainly served in large glasswear, like tall tumblers with thick rims. Not a problem. Nothing formal going on and everyone is a bit clumsy with all the gear, poles, etc etc. No big deal.

I'd order the cafe Americano's most of the time too. The cafe con leche is OK (reminds me of the cafe au-lait we have here in New Orleans) but a lot of mornings I needed a little more lead in my tank. ;)

Cafe Americano is just dirty dishwater . If you are looking for "lead" ask for a "Solo - Doble" that´ll wake you up.

Ondo Ibili !

What about a good Latte? Can you get a good latte on the Camino. Or maybe a good half cafe decafe skinny mocha chino? Or maybe a good old fashion Bonox?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can you get a good latte on the Camino.
In Italy.

Cafe au lait can be found in France.:)

A latte (/ˈlɑːteɪ/ or /ˈlæteɪ/)[1][2] is a coffee drink made with espresso and steamed milk. That definition applies to the Spanish cafe con leche, as well.

Coffee menus worldwide use a number of spelling variations for words to indicate coffee and milk, often using incorrect accents or a combination of French and Italian terms. Italian is caffellatte (the standard form; caffelatte is a Northern Italian variation), contracted from caffè-latte, (with a grave accent over the e), while French is café au lait (with an acute accent); Spanish is café con leche and Portuguese is café com leite. Variants such as caffé latté, café latte, and caffé lattè are commonly seen in English.

What about a good Latte? Can you get a good latte on the Camino. Or maybe a good half cafe decafe skinny mocha chino? Or maybe a good old fashion Bonox?
I hope you're kidding. Our friend once asked for a vanilla latte. The waiter told her "Go sit down. If you want vanilla go get some ice cream." He brought her a cafe con leche.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope you're kidding. Our friend once asked for a vanilla latte. The waiter told her "Go sit down. If you want vanilla go get some ice cream." He brought her a cafe con leche.
Oh No I was deadly serious. Couldnt you tell by the way my tongue is sticking into my cheek???????? Oh my.

WHAT (sorry I did not mean to shout) - but I am not sure you are actually having any coffee. - a decafe, skinny , mocha - is know by an Italian name (which I now forget) that translates "why bother"!!
But then - too each her/his own!!

WHAT (sorry I did not mean to shout) - but I am not sure you are actually having any coffee. - a decafe, skinny , mocha - is know by an Italian name (which I now forget) that translates "why bother"!!
But then - too each her/his own!!
Mike mate???????????? As a fellow aussie. Surely you realised I was "taking the piss" there. I asked a simple question at the start of this thread and it evovled into a "surely you jest" and "hollier than thou" statement fest about whether one should have their coffee on the go on the Camino. Besides I dont even like Cafe Latte's/Cafe con leche. I need an emodicon for shaking my head in disbelief.

€60,-
LOL 33 posts later and Im so glad I didnt ask if I could get Mcdonalds on the Camino. LMAO
Ah, never fear, McD's is everywhere. So is Burger King . In the cities. Even on the Champ Élysées in Paris, Beijing - no getting away from it! ;-)image.jpg

Mike mate???????????? As a fellow aussie. Surely you realised I was "taking the piss" there. I asked a simple question at the start of this thread and it evovled into a "surely you jest" and "hollier than thou" statement fest about whether one should have their coffee on the go on the Camino. Besides I dont even like Cafe Latte's/Cafe con leche. I need an emodicon for shaking my head in disbelief.

You r funny! Just get a collapsible camping cup that handles hot drinks, then go get your grande or 2 and pour it/them into your container and drink it anywhere you darn well feel like it! It's YOUR Camino!!

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh my. Now I have an addiction??????????

We have a problem here and I am glad that you are taking it well. Without knowing the condition or the purpose of your request for knowledge we tend to pile on all kinds of unhelpful comments and judgments. Suffice it to say that you will find your temporary cups in the larger cities and may have problems in the smaller villages and will need to plan accordingly.

Enjoy your Camino your way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This thread is hilarious - it has evolved like Chinese whispers. Perhaps it would be helpful if members read the whole thread before hitting the "post reply" button. @hunsta (who, as an Aussie, in unlikely to want American style coffee) I'm sure no bar-tender will mind pouring your cafe con leche or tea or colacao into your cup-with-lid for you Presumably that would be hard for you to do. Nor would anyone have a problem if you leave the cup on the table and bend forward and drink through a straw. The Spanish are wonderful at acceptance. And no need to be embarrassed - save that for something you can help.

The reason I asked is that I have a medical condition that makes holding a cup full of liquid without a lid, extremely hard. So much so to the point of embarrassment.

Last edited:

€149,-
[QUOTE...I need an emodicon for shaking my head in disbelief.[/QUOTE]

May I suggest
facepalm.png
or if you prefer
banghead.gif
Cheer up!
banana.gif

We have a problem here and I am glad that you are taking it well. Without knowing the condition or the purpose of your request for knowledge we tend to pile on all kinds of unhelpful comments and judgments. Suffice it to say that you will find your temporary cups in the larger cities and may have problems in the smaller villages and will need to plan accordingly.

Enjoy your Camino your way.

This thread is hilarious - it has evolved like Chinese whispers. Perhaps it would be helpful if members read the whole thread before hitting the "post reply" button. @hunsta (who, as an Aussie, in unlikely to want American style coffee) I'm sure no bar-tender will mind pouring your cafe con leche or tea or colacao into your cup-with-lid for you Presumably that would be hard for you to do. Nor would anyone have a problem if you leave the cup on the table and bend forward and drink through a straw. The Spanish are wonderful at acceptance. And no need to be embarrassed - save that for something you can help.

[QUOTE...I need an emodicon for shaking my head in disbelief.

May I suggest
facepalm.png
or if you prefer
banghead.gif
Cheer up!
banana.gif
[/QUOTE]
For the very last word on this thread. Thank you sincerely. I've gain valuable knowledge from this forum. I think of some of you as as venerable elders of "the way". This thread was my giving in to an anxiety about my condition. The less I worry about it. The less it worries me.
Boy after all that I could use a drink.
on that note, do they sell beer in glasses or bottles in bars? See I have this condition ........................lol

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back