• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

most efficient travel from Madrid airport to Burgos

irishrock

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (1st three stages in 2016 and finished in 2017)
looking at traveling from Madrid airport to Burgos...what's most efficient way to get there:

Train?
Bus?
Hitchhike?
thanks for the help

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
looking at traveling from Madrid airport to Burgos...what's most efficient way to get there:

Train?
Bus?
Hitchhike?
thanks for the help
You take the bus directly from the airport, beautiful comfortable buses and more or less direct. I took the train once, and can say the bus was much nicer, and a lot cheaper..

Rome2Rio is not, unfortunately, all it is cracked up to be (hardly surprising.) Google Maps directions is better, especially for out-of-the way places and rural buses.

The ALSA bus from T4 at Barajas is very comfortable and goes close to Burgos centre. The train journey from Chamartin (on the C1 line, also from T4) is quicker but more expensive and goes to a new station out of town, BURGOS ROSA MANZANO.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rome2Rio is not, unfortunately, all it is cracked up to be (hardly surprising.) Google Maps directions is better, especially for out-of-the way places and rural buses.
Yes, I agree and in some cases there are even photos of where you catch the bus and links to the bus companies directly. We often use the schedule explorer link on Google Maps to find the route that works for us

I agree with the postings above - we took the Alsa bus right from the airport in 2016 and it was comfortable and very direct. We had some time to re-enter into our Camino and arrived in Burgos near noon and got walking that day and made it to Tardajos easily. Highly recommended.

Bus . In 2018, I caught the ALSA bus from Madrid airport T4 to Burgos. It was fast, cheap, clean and I could doze after a red eye flight. There is an Albergue/ Hostal exactly beside the Burgos bus station that I'd booked that's just a couple minutes walk over the foot bridge into the Cathedral plaza. Easy peasy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agree that the bus is easiest. The ALSA app is also quite good these days (now also in English). I’ve always used buses and have taken the very late night connections in the past (often departing around midnight) to Pamplona, Legrono and Leon. Those late departures get you there in the early hours for a super early morning start which gets my feet on the Camino within 12 hours of leaving home (Finland) (not everyone’s cup of tea I understand). Other more civilised departure times are available.

Bus . In 2018, I caught the ALSA bus from Madrid airport T4 to Burgos. It was fast, cheap, clean and I could doze after a red eye flight. There is an Albergue/ Hostal exactly beside the Burgos bus station that I'd booked that's just a couple minutes walk over the foot bridge into the Cathedral plaza. Easy peasy!
There is also a laundromat in the same block as the hostel and the Burgos bus station if you want to wash your clothes before you start on the Camino. I recall a popular churro stand in the same area across the street from the laundromat as well as a bank in the same block. Really a pretty good location to launch your Camino.

Love the ease from the airport! It’s almost shocking to get off the bus, go out of the terminal, turn right, cross the lovely bridge to see a curved archway and the cathedral! And about the laundromat there: if anyone finds my gloves in the dryer: keep them. 🤣 Spain. This year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back