• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Most useful words and phrases

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I need help from all of you innovative and sharing people!
We will have two Spanish teachers at our camino workshop in Durban at the end of the month.
I have asked them if they will do a short session teaching the most useful Spanish camino phrases. They have asked me what those might be. Any ideas?? Besides the obvious like please and thank you and buen camino! (I'll write your suggestions onto flip chart paper and they can go through them at the workshop.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is a good idea, Sil.
I can usually "get by" as long as no one expects a complete sentence or gender correctness.
My wife has nada and will be traveling to meet me on her own this year. It would really be great if she had some phrases she could point to and get assistance when needed. I will try to work some out for her but will come up short. I need a lot of gestures to get my point across and they don't print up so well. :wink:

It would be great if you could post the results here when you have them.

To start it off:
Please, where is the Camino? (simpler than a more formal question of how to get back on track)
What time is dinner available? Do you have a Menu de Dia?
Please, where is the Albergue?

Remember the need to understand the answers too.
So:-
Turn right
Turn left
(Go) straight on/ahead

Also:-
How many metres/kilometres please?
Basic numbers , say 1-20, for the answer.

Basic words for food/drink

I think that is enough from me. Great idea Sil and folk in any country appreciate it when anyone makes the effort to speak their language
Tia Valeria

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Simple question forms:

where is the ...?
is it possible to ...?
how much is ...?

It would be good to have it printed so people can point to it.

The traditional standby in phrase books was "The postilion has been struck by lightning". This is probably not essential on today's Camino,

Andy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I need a room for (x) persons. (if none available) Can you suggest another place?
One large beer
What time is (name of meal, the next bus)
Where does the bus stop?

Thank you for the suggestions. One forum members sent me a list in Spanish (thanks Anna) so I'll have 2 lists to share with you.
Another reminded me that Santiagobis has a Spanish phrase book in their Files.
Besides some useful headings, this 11 page document also has a few choice phrases especially for pilgrims such as:

Where is that $@%#& yellow arrow?
¿Donde está esta $#@%^&*^%#$ flecha amarilla?

Is this albergue free of bed bugs or can I bring my own?
¿Hay bichos en este albergue, o es que puedo llevar los míos propios?

The first one who snores gets a boot in the nose
El primero que ronca recibe mi zapato en la nariz

I only need one bed. My manservant will sleep with the horses
Solo necesito una cama. Mi sirviente dormirá con los caballos.

Have you got a strong box for my jewelry?
¿Hay una caja fuerte para mis joyas?

Is that a piece of tortilla española in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
¿Es esto un pedazo de tortilla lo que tienes en tu bolsa o es solo que te alegras de verme?

.... and a few more!

And what about the most important one for a pilgrim:

Thank you = Gracias

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
?Donde esta....? (where is)
?A que hora es la cena? (what time is dinner?)
?Hay habitaciones esta noche? (do you have any rooms tonight?)
?Tiene un menu del dia/peregrino? (do you have a menu of the day/pilgrim's menu?)

...el medico? (doctor) ...la farmacia? (pharmacy) ...la tienda (store)

Necesito (I need)
Ayudame (help me)
Por Favor (please)
Gracias (thank you)

Kelly

Move your goats, please. They are blocking the path.

Can I get pork for all three courses of the menu?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Vino Tinto por favor

cafe latte grande por favor

tarte de santiago por favor

muchas gracias

and let us not forget that much can be conveyed by expression and simple pantomime

john

I am often surprised by how many Spanish words have Moorish roots.
And then I read a blog post by a girl studying Arabic and she said:

When I was learning Spanish, it puzzled me to no end that the word for “olive” was “aceituna” (ah-say-TOO-na). In French, it’s olive. In Italian, it’s olivo. What made Spanish different? When I learned the Arabic word for olive, though, it all made sense: zeitun (zay-toon). And when you add the definite article to it, it becomes as-zeitun. This applies to all sorts of other words.
Aceite is “oil” in Spanish. Zeyt is “oil” in Arabic. Cereza is “cherry” in Spanish. Ceriss is “cherry” in Arabic. Zumo is “juice” in Spanish. Zum is “juice” in Arabic. Once I figured this out, I went to Wikipedia to confirm my suspicions, and there’s a nice long list of Arabic cognates in Spanish for those of you who are curious. It was pleasing to see concrete evidence of something that I had known abstractly before. And it makes Arabic a little less daunting.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back