• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mother and son on Camino in April - May ...help?

Chacharm

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
Hi -
My 25 year old son and I are going to walk from SJPP to SDC this Spring. I am very excited and very nervous. I will be getting us both ready, equipment and travel arrangement-wise and I am not the best packer/organizer. But I have been reading these forums avidly, and am determined to get us good equipment - and just the right amt of it.
My biggest concerns are the variable weather in early spring and our feet. Everyone says to take three shirts and three pairs of socks - OK! But...long sleeved shirts? Or short sleeves? Surely it won't be warm enough for T shirts in April, right? But in May it may well be too hot for long sleeves. I was in San Sebastian in May of 2010 and it was very cold. Is it warmer the closer you get to SDC?
I have an excellent pair of Zamberlan hiking boots and I think I am going to get him a pair too - and I think we should get the socks with liners. But what brand? Silk? Or synthetic? We're in TX, and I can't find any 1000 Mile socks (though those seem like the best option).
I have never traveled with a backpack before. Can we just check them in like a regular suitcase?
From what I have read our best option seems to be to fly into Madrid and then on to Biarritz and then to take a bus to SJPP - are the buses leaving daily? Anyone know how to find a time schedule?
It looks to me like the cost of the Camino is about 25 Euro per person, per day. Does that seem about right?
Should I buy the Bierley guide book?
Packing (each)
3 shirts
3 socks
Leggings and hiking skirts for me, pants for him - 2 pair
3 pairs underwear
fleece and rain jacket
rain cover for ruck
(I figure if we need shorts we can buy some)
Cap
Lavalava for me
Chamoise for drying after shower
Bar of soap
shampoo
deodorant
toothbrush and paste and razor
safety pins
laundry line
Spork
Insulated cup with lid
bottle opener
toilet paper in baggy
Sleeping bag, pad and silk liner
converter
iPad, iPhone and chargers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My recommendations:

One long sleeve shirt and two T-shirts, all synthetic or "high performance". The exertion will keep you warm in a T-shirt.
Silk or polypro long johns. They don't weigh much and serve as sleepwear or first layer if it is cold.
Convertible pants so that they double as shorts
Silk or polypropylene liner socks - 2 pair -- silk costs more, and seamless are more comfortable
Wool or wool blend outer socks - 2 pair
Minimal cosmetics in travel sizes. Do you think your deodorant will last ten hours of hiking in the sun? Do you think the other 100 roommates will be using deodorant? Multi-purpose soap, such as Camp Soap, works for hair, body, and clothes.
Titanium or aluminum cup -- save the weight of an insulated cup. Nothing will be in it long enough to get hot or cold.

Backpack straps need to be protected from the airline baggage handling equipment. I use a nylon sack I stitched together (still going strong after seven caminos and double that in airline flights). A large garbage bag and some duct tape also works for a one-way trip. Most airlines have large plastic bags.

Have a buen camino!

Exactly when I hiked last time. Def hiking boots. It can be very hot and or rainy. You won't need the pad and the liner. Just a very lightweight stuffable bag as in 6 weeks I onlyhad two nights where they didn't give me a blanket. Less is more on the camino. You can pick up tp and such along the way. Take layers. One long sleeve LIGHT weight layer/vest or fleece and water proof outer layer. Wash and dry! Everything has to be able to dry over night. Don't use sock liners. They can cause blisters. 2 pair good hiking socks heavy and 2 pair lighter weight. Crocus are great for kicking around after you get to your alberts or for in the shower- they hook onto your bag and r light weight. Off to sleep. More later. Rain in the Basque region and Galathia but Meseeta can be hot and no watt to get out of sun so sun block and long sleeves. Light weight gloves or I use ski glove liners to protect hands from blisters from poles or early morn chill. Hiking sticks /light weight poles invaluable!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You will hear all kinds of opinions on what socks, shoes, etc to bring. Just make sure you walk a lot on different surfaces in the shoes and socks you decide on prior to your camino. You can order 1000 mile socks online from the UK .
And sunscreen!

Thank you all so much for the advice! Very helpful and very much appreciated!
I did find the 1000 mile socks online from the UK - I've simply never ordered anything from overseas before and was leery. They guarantee no blisters - and many posters here swear by them. I already have some smartwool socks. Has anyone tried the toe socks? They also promise no blisters.
Really? No liner? Everyone, even the woman I depend on at REI told me I must have a liner. I was told that bedbugs don't like silk and I can use it for sleeping on top of my bag in warmer weather.
I have looked every where for some bedbug spray or soak - but cannot find anything.
I am not going to take any make up at all - but I thought the deodorant might cut down on all the washing. I will happily leave it behind if that is the better idea. Camp soap for my HAIR? That sounds...awful.
Would I need a knife for any reason? Should I take a Swiss Army knife or just a hunting knife?
I have searched the web for a daily cost approximation and I can't find anything recent. I catch bits of someone's story and it looks like there are refuges that cost from 3-10 euro, and pilgrim's dinners that run from 5-10 euro. Along with a small breakfast and a little sandwich for lunch I am guessing it at about 25 a day - does that sound about right? Give or take?
Has anyone dragged their iPad out there? I am an avid reader - I can't fall asleep without a book - and I use it for holding all of my books. I could use my iPhone though. I just thought the pad might be more helpful for maps and staying in touch with home, etc.

Only the bed bugs that can read a label will know silk from synthetics. They can get a toe hold on cotton, wood, plastic, metal, flesh, and nylon. This works for treating sleeping bags and packs (REI has it too):
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Permethrin ... B001ANQVYU

Be skeptical of anything with an absolute guarantee, such as "guaranteed no blisters." It is simply factually incorrect. SmartWool socks are great. I have toe socks (liners) and they increase pressure between my toes. I have not worn them on extensive hikes, but expect they would be worse than standard liner socks.

Silk liner socks:
http://www.amazon.com/Terramar-Thermasi ... 000&sr=1-1

A Swiss Army knife is useful. Put it only in hold baggage. A blade, corkscrew, and scissors will be handy. Everything else is likely to go unused.

I budget 30E per day. So does the Spanish website Eroski (or maybe Mundicamino). Two cannot live as cheaply as one. You can eat sandwiches three meals a day (the bocadillo) if you are so inclined. I am rarely so inclined.

iPhone, yes maybe; iPad, at lot of weight for little use. Get the Kindle app for the iPhone and you can read away when you are not too tired to read.

There are regular internet connections for keeping in touch, so you really don't need any "computer" equipment of your own, including WiFi (wee-fee in Europe). It can be handy, though, when there is an unlocked WiFi connection, something of a rarity as it is almost always locked.

Campsuds lacks conditioner, but is excellent shampoo.
http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Campsuds-4 ... 735&sr=1-1

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Again - thank you! After whining about it I found a thread right here detailing costs. Looks like about 30 a day each ought to ensure a fun trip. I have been to Europe many times and never spent so little! I want for us to have a good time, to stop and smell the roses and to be fair to the people catering to Pilgrims - and never to feel guilty about occasionally splurging here and there.
And thank you for the links!

I hope you are doing all this advance buying and planning for yourself and not for your son as well. I hope your son, unless he is for some reason unable to do it for himself, is doing all his buying and planning for himself. And I hope the two of you are building some space into your plans for walking without one another as well as with.

From one mom, who travels with her adult son, to another. From experience.
Reb.

Chacharm:

You do not need to buy 1000 mile socks. I wear smartwool medium socks and have had no problems. I have never worn silk liners but many people wear them. I usually sleep in a silk liner and use my sleeping bag as a blanket. Never seen a bed bug but have seen people with bites, maybe I have just been lucky. 30 Euro's a day per person should be adequate unless you plan to sleep in private facilities. Your packing list seems a bit extensive. That said, everyone has different needs. It all depends on how much weight you want to carry for 30+ days walking a half marathon a day.

In a nutshell, Take care of your feet. You will depend on them everyday. Start slowly consider staying at Orisson the first night. A short walk, 8km, but it will give you a taste of walking over the mountain and has an impact on your next few days as your body adjusts to the Camino. Pack as light as possible, some folks say 10% of your weight and that is a good guideline. The Camino will take care of the rest.

In regards to walking with others, I feel it is difficult to do without some understandings between parties. There is a thread on this topic.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A US version of a double sock is the Wrightsock which you can find in any running store (eg roadrunners, fleet feet) or online I've tried them twice and am bothered by the toe seam, bought one pair of the UK version but the toe seams felt the same to me as the Wrightsock. It just comes down to what works for you, and in the words of both my therapist and my running coach, you'll never know until you try... So I'd say buy some and just see what you like... Mind you I have no experience on the Camino but way too many miles marching in uniform and a fair number of 26.2. Personally, and I emphasize personally, I like the toe seams ( or lack thereof) on balegas--friends say I'm cat-like in my imagined discomfort with sock seams--but I do worry I'll wish they were thicker after a few days...I think if n= the number of forum members then n+30= the number of sock opinions. And they're all right, at least for the person with the opinion.

Oh and I tried the toe socks, I liked how they felt, they kept my cold feet warms, but added too much to the width ( think about all the extra material between each toe) of my wide feet to be comfortable, might be ok in a more 'normal' foot

The most miserable duo I encountered was a German mother-daughter team. The mother played the mother; the daughter played the teenage daughter. You could hear the yelling and bickering for miles and for days. They were an extreme case, but there are variations that lead up to the extreme that would make one nearly as miserable. I always thought (to myself) that dropping their roles would have solved the problem. A Camino is an opportunity to stop doing what you have always done, perhaps things that don't work but you keep doing out of habit, and try the new. Judgement. Criticism. Cynicism. The list might be endless. What is the worst that could have happened to the German mother if she had stopped trying to run the show? What is the worst that could have happened to the daughter if she had stopped rebelling? I think the worst would have been that they would have been happy! The best might have been that they would have started liking each other again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Chacharm, I read my post typed on my Iphone and was sorry at the typos. I'm glad you've gotten some nice feedback. I only want to say that the reason I say no sock liners is that they rub against your feet and can cause blisters. I watched the Germans who hiked all the time and they had foot butter they called "heal schtick" :) It is sold in Europe and comes in a sm. green stick (like deodorant does). It is by "Compede" - like our Dr. Scholls. I have not found anything as good so I buy a stock of it when I fly to Europe. It is about 7E but it is amazing. When the feet are clean and dry you rub it on before putting on your hiking sock. It keeps the friction with your skin from happening. I'm taking it this time in hopes I wont have any blisters this time. I also had begun the Camino in Trail Shoes I had hike all over CO in. The seams inside the trail shoe along with the weight of my pack set blisters into motion. Someone here mentioned the seams in the socks. Those seams matter so you want a sock that fits your foot properly. I use the smart wool.

This is going to sound gross, but one German lady who was the most amazing athlete talked to me about how she cares for her feet. Every night she put the balm on her feet before bed with a clean pair of socks she kept in her bag. In the morning before she started - she would add more balm and then put on the USED socks (she never washed them) she said they were soaked with salt and oil from her feet and that was healthy for her feet. I imagined they smelled but only her feet knew! Don't know if I'll try that, but wanted to mention it for all you die-hard hikers. She was Amazing!

I like and use a long-sleeve layer with a hoodie on it. EMS has one I just bought and i'm sure REI and most other hiking/sports stores have one also. Mine is rated 30+ and wickes moisture. It's very light weight + made from a synthetic that will dry quickly. I use my ski silks as my sleeping clothes and then have them for an under layer if needed. The time of the year you are going can be wet and mornings chilly. Days are hot when there is no cloud cover. Take sun block and also take the bug repellant. I used the bug repellant sheets and it was great cause they were individually wrapped (traveled well) and you could stick one under your hat or in your collar or waistband, etc. I only used 2 of them in 6 weeks. Don't put some in a baggie as they are caustic and will eat through the plastic and smell up everything.

I saw people who took jeans (which are heavy) and saw them give them away or leave them behind. You want Easy, Light weight, dries-fast stuff. Less is more. Less is more. Less is more.

I also saw people who hiked TOGETHER as mentioned above. I saw friendships end between people who didn't understand that everyone hikes at their own pace and you need to hike at your own pace. Even for those people who hike this as something other than a religious pilgrimage, it is an event that changes you. It is a profound experience. You may need the quiet time in your head. You need to talk about expectations before you set out. Most people who hike together have a meeting place set in advance and then stops along the trail where they will meet for a couple of days on a specific date. You my get separated and although there is internet and phones they are expensive.

Falcon269 hit the nail on the head. Make sure your Son is on board and doesn't look to you for everything. My adult daughter who is a Wall Street Lawyer, took me to Peru for my 60th. We were gone two weeks. I'm an avid hiker and travel for my work. I'm no novice. In the second week it came to a head. I still found her rolling her eyes as I was visiting with someone else in the group. I'm always the Mom and she is always the daughter. I sat on my impulse for obvious reasons, but felt the urge to give advice that was unsolicited. LOL Glad I went and you will be too, but just think through some of the pitfalls. :D

I read someone's advice before I went. Every third paragraph he'd say, "Did I mention HIKING BOOTS!?" He said it was the NUMBER ONE item to plan about and take with you. Once I had blisters I was miserable. I found that although you might think there would be hiking stores all along the trail. THERE ARE NOT! Only in big cities and then there may be none. I got all the way to Borgos before I found one. I immediately bought a pair of hiking boots and they are amazing. I had no more problems with my feet after buying the hiking boots and the "Compede Heel Stick". Get some good hiking boots! :)

Many women have issues with bladder infections. We have wetness men don't deal with and I would suggest taking a prescription along with you. I talked to some women who helped me through this. It seemed everyone was aware, but me. The REI person I've dealt with said that water in Spain is also an issue. it is usually marked as potable or non potable, but I will use bottled water only. Your suggestion about using a hiking skirt may be a good one. Easier to go when you have to go. I had to take off my pack to pull down my hiking pants cause of the waist straps. Yuck.

i mentioned using Crocs as the shoes for your shower as the clip onto your bag and you can run around town in them too. i saw people in thongs, but their feet had more trouble in those around town as there is dirt or cobble stones in many places. I'm taking Crocs this time.

I'm very excited for you and your son. It is a wonderful experience. Did I mention HIKING BOOTS ? :lol:

Compeed has some great products, but their anti-friction stick is not one of them. If you check the ingredients, there is nothing in it that will achieve the intended purpose.
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Octyldodecanol, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum.
Hydrogenated vegetable oil is better known as Crisco, which would be a lot cheaper if you like it as a lubricant.

Try:

http://www.amazon.com/Sportslick-3-8oz- ... B002BWX81I

Sportslick was created by combining Petrolatum with Silicone for long lasting waterproof protection, then adding the leading antifungal agent, Tolnaftate with healing ingredients, Aloe, Vitamin E, C, and natural plant extracts.
Both the petrolatum and silicone will reduce friction and repel moisture.

Hydropel also works
Active Ingredient: dimethicone 30%
Inactive Ingredients: Petrolatum, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate
Dimethicone is similar to silicone.

falcon269 said:
Compeed has some great products, but their anti-friction stick is not one of them. If you check the ingredients, there is nothing in it that will achieve the intended purpose.
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Octyldodecanol, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum.
Hydrogenated vegetable oil is better known as Crisco, which would be a lot cheaper if you like it as a lubricant.

Try:

http://www.amazon.com/Sportslick-3-8oz- ... B002BWX81I

Sportslick was created by combining Petrolatum with Silicone for long lasting waterproof protection, then adding the leading antifungal agent, Tolnaftate with healing ingredients, Aloe, Vitamin E, C, and natural plant extracts.
Both the petrolatum and silicone will reduce friction and repel moisture.

Hydropel also works
Active Ingredient: dimethicone 30%
Inactive Ingredients: Petrolatum, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate
Dimethicone is similar to silicone.

Thanks Falcon269-
Points well taken so I'll sure try them as I prepare. I can always use good advice. Compeed SMELLS so nice! :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would be a little leery of advise from an REI (or any other shop) concerning the water situation in Spain. Unless they have been on the Camino they really would not have any first hand knowledge.
I have heard advice from equipment sales people that sounds more like they are talking about Mexico than Spain. I think the Spanish language confuses them., :wink:
I buy bottled water and refill them along the way from the fountains or in a bar after buying something to drink or eat.
Never had any problem with water in Spain. Then, of course, I have not drank from a source that is not properly marked as potable.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Chacharm,

Walking with your son can be such a great experience!

Here's a link to a packing list I put together for the Camino Frances:

http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/so-you-think-you-wanna-walk-2/

Re: socks, I bought light hiking socks at REI and was very happy with them. They lasted the whole trip (and even beyond!) and yet were still breathable enough. The most important thing is to make sure you don't put on socks that are not clean.
Re: liner, I didn't use one either-- really unnecessary.
Re: iPad, I didn't take one, though ran into many pilgrims who did. Either way, chances are you'll have no problem falling asleep at night, reading or not. After a full day of walking, your body will need the rest. I will be walking the Via de la Plata this spring and this time, I do intend to take an iPad, but mostly so that I can write along the way, so much of this is personal taste/preference.
While at REI, you can also get Second Skin...to be applied if you sense a hot spot in your feet so that you don't get a blister.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Walking/hiking will not give women UTIs. Delaying urinating because you don't want to use available facilities or fields, or because you are dehydrated, will increase a woman's risk for a UTI. Now if the woman is bike or horse riding for a VERY long time I might say that is a risk but there is nothing about the act of walking/hiking to increase risk. Reminds me of when I treated men in the Philippines who blamed the pain with urination on the local beer...I'd tell them that was only true in so far as it clouded their judgment about suitable behavior the rest of the night, then give them two rather large injections. Bottom line, if you're female and want to lower your UTI risk, drink lots of water. No matter what the gender, your urine should be a very pale yellow. And if you're sweating a lot or drinking a lot to keep your urine pale, make sure you are eating salty foods or occasionally drinking a sports drink---replacing a lot of sweat with only water can cause problems also.

Update - our CAMINO WAS GREAT!
No fighting, no UTIs. There was plenty of water and my boots and some compeed served me well.
Excellent advice, BTW, about leaving your mother and son roles behind. I think we met each other in a way we never had - and a way we never would have except for the Camino. He did walk much faster than I, but that wasn't a problem. He would rest a bit and wait for me from time to time.
In Santiago he told me that what he would miss most was the simple, daily goal. A tough goal, but very simple. Reach the next Albuergue. I miss that too.
He told me he had a hard time not thinking of every aspect of the Camino as a metaphor for life. I asked him, why stop that? It is a perfect metaphor for life.
I DID buy the German foot cream - that stuff is amazing. I found it in a trek store in Astorga. Wish I had bought some extra. I washed my feet carefully every night and applied the cream at night only, covering my feet with clean socks I used just for that. I never walked in a pair of dirty socks though.
I DO wish that I had taken a pair of Crocs and that hiking skirt. KEEN makes a very nice Croc like sandal that is more comfy and much more durable, I wish I'd had with me. I wish I'd had a better raincoat with pockets up ABOVE my waistline and I wish I'd chosen a color other than pylon ORANGE. Awful.
BTW - I was very frustrated with my son before we left. He wasn't interested in planning or researching or reading about the Camino. He wasn't interested in the gear and wanted me to handle all of it. Once on the Camino we discussed it and he explained that he just wanted it all to be new, to be a surprise. He said he did wish he'd been more involved in choosing his own gear - that was a mistake (He did choose his own pack and bag and clothes, of course.) But he was glad that he had not read up on it as it made it easier for him to approach it without expectations. I found the other peregrinos were fairly divided in this - we planners and those who simply charged ahead.
He was speaking Spanish fairly well by the end of the trip, too.
All in all, it was a huge success.
Thank you all so much for the suggestions, advice and encouragement. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back