• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Motorola Moto G Global GSM Unlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaidinBham

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, April (2014)
Camino Portuguese Lisbon>Santiago, April/May (2016)
I researched buying this phone quite a lot, so thought I would share what I have learned.
Phone: Motorola Moto G Global Unlocked (1st generation) Model # XT1032. There are MANY model numbers for 1st generation, I was only interested in XT1032 because it is truly global and optimized to work with networks in Europe, or ANY GSM carrier worldwide. Moto G comes in 2nd and 3rd generation's, but these are larger and more bells and whistles. This phone is FACTORY unlocked - no greedy carriers trying to cripple and monopolize your consumer experience, and your property. This phone is cheap! ($85 - open box) This phone is android smartphone and gets great reviews. It has a lousy camera, but I plan to take a hybrid/compact camera. This phone will be used as "travel mobile" and I will purchase sim cards in Lisbon, and then again in Porto. I will use to make local calls, emergency calls, check email, occasional visits to websites, and perhaps to write journal for my camino on Facebook, listening to music or audio books and perhaps GPS, maps) Space is limited to 8GB, but you can get Google Drive and 50GB for no charge. (Yes I am frugal - this is how I retired at age 60! :) ) I will connect to WIFI whenever possible. It seems as though local sim cards are the way to go, and best value for my money. I will expect to pay ~20 euro for each sim.
There are still new 1st generations out there, or buy used. Do not expect to get warranty. Motorola website no longer selling 1st generation, (they have 2nd and 3rd gen.) although they have accessories at sale prices. You could expect to buy this phone no matter where you reside. It is not a perfect phone - I think that would be the iPhone 6 unlocked. But I have iPhone 4 (which I love), and can not justify that cost just yet.

Buen Camino,
Janice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I researched buying this phone quite a lot, so thought I would share what I have learned.
Phone: Motorola Moto G Global Unlocked (1st generation) Model # XT1032. There are MANY model numbers for 1st generation, I was only interested in XT1032 because it is truly global and optimized to work with networks in Europe, or ANY GSM carrier worldwide. Moto G comes in 2nd and 3rd generation's, but these are larger and more bells and whistles. This phone is FACTORY unlocked - no greedy carriers trying to cripple and monopolize your consumer experience, and your property. This phone is cheap! ($85 - open box) This phone is android smartphone and gets great reviews. It has a lousy camera, but I plan to take a hybrid/compact camera. This phone will be used as "travel mobile" and I will purchase sim cards in Lisbon, and then again in Porto. I will use to make local calls, emergency calls, check email, occasional visits to websites, and perhaps to write journal for my camino on Facebook, listening to music or audio books and perhaps GPS, maps) Space is limited to 8GB, but you can get Google Drive and 50GB for no charge. (Yes I am frugal - this is how I retired at age 60! :) ) I will connect to WIFI whenever possible. It seems as though local sim cards are the way to go, and best value for my money. I will expect to pay ~20 euro for each sim.
There are still new 1st generations out there, or buy used. Do not expect to get warranty. Motorola website no longer selling 1st generation, (they have 2nd and 3rd gen.) although they have accessories at sale prices. You could expect to buy this phone no matter where you reside. It is not a perfect phone - I think that would be the iPhone 6 unlocked. But I have iPhone 4 (which I love), and can not justify that cost just yet.

Buen Camino,
Janice
Hi Janice, I have been considering the GSM World Phone just to use in Spain too. The question is how do you then once you have the sim obtain a phone number for the new phone? Have not gone back to Best Buy to ask that, anyway they don't appear to know much about them or how they work in Europe at this point. Thank you in advance Nancy

Hi Janice, I have been considering the GSM World Phone just to use in Spain too. The question is how do you then once you have the sim obtain a phone number for the new phone? Have not gone back to Best Buy to ask that, anyway they don't appear to know much about them or how they work in Europe at this point. Thank you in advance Nancy

Hi Nancy,
I am not that knowledgeable, but had that exact question. I believe once I get sim, at local vodophone shop in Lisbon, it will include a local phone no. I use google a lot to find info. Having a local sim, is better I think. You are not tied to carrier, and is a lot cheaper. I will have the Vodophone rep. insert sim into phone and make sure it is working before setting off to the CP.
I found this link to have useful info. - It can get get pretty confusing in the mobile world, but link cleared up some stuff for me.
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/cell-phone-europe

Cheers,
Janice

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Nancy,
I am not that knowledgeable, but had that exact question. I believe once I get sim, at local vodophone shop in Lisbon, it will include a local phone no. I use google a lot to find info. Having a local sim, is better I think. You are not tied to carrier, and is a lot cheaper. I will have the Vodophone rep. insert sim into phone and make sure it is working before setting off to the CP.
I found this link to have useful info. - It can get get pretty confusing in the mobile world, but link cleared up some stuff for me.
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/cell-phone-europe

Cheers,
Janice
Janice I found this article last week, 4 years old but my daughter said its still info to look at. Also the number you get only lasts a year, all this making me want to bite the bullet for iphone, maybe a 5 refurbed to save some $. Another choice I have looked into Tmobil prepaid that would lead me to a samsung but no contract and the plan includes the world! I use android minutes phone and have ipod/pad so adapting is feasible for me. Thanks for the article, I will "study it" in the AM.
http://www.cnet.com/news/traveling-to-spain-local-prepaid-sim-or-international-roaming/ Buen Camino Nancy

Nancy - sounds like you will get phone at BestBuy with a plan? My objective is to buy a travel phone - the Moto G XT1032 - and NOT be tied to any carrier. I will obtain disposable phone no. locally - this is cheapest way to go.
My first Camimo was CF and used nothing except iPod Touch, and had it setup with Google Voice and Another app for making calls. It cost me a couple cents a minute to make calls. This worked very well with wifi and was able to blog most days on CF. On CP, wifi less available and will be able to call ahead and book accommodations. The iPhone 5 is good choice for global phone.
Cheers,
Janice

I bought the US model XT1540 of the 3rd gen Moto G (unlocked) from B&H Photo in NYC for $180 OTD with free shipping for my father, I think this is the best smartphone for under $200, add a 32gb microSD card and you're all set. You might not get 4g/LTE outside the US, but you will get at least 3G.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Swapping SIM cards is like swapping license plates on your vehicle, the license plate number is assigned to the plate, not the vehicle, your phone number is tied to the SIM card you buy, and not your phone, all your contacts, apps, settings, and photos stay on the phone.

I bought the US model XT1540 of the 3rd gen Moto G (unlocked) from B&H Photo in NYC for $180 OTD with free shipping for my father, I think this is the best smartphone for under $200, add a 32gb microSD card and you're all set. You might not get 4g/LTE outside the US, but you will get at least 3G.

Yes, it is a great smartphone for the price. Mine will not be used as my primary phone, so I choose to go with 1st generation, cheaper price, and smaller screen for travel. They do have 1st generation LTE variants such as XT1039, but I will be happy with 3G on my camino.
Link will show wiki for 1st generation Moto G
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_G_(1st_generation)

Janice

Hi Bajaracer
Wow that was an expensive phone to then have to add a larger SD card.
They sell these Moto phones at Target and Best Buy for $50.00 usd. So makes me ask what is the advantage of this phone? The newest generation? Also what is OTD? Thank you for joining the discussion! Nancy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nancy - sounds like you will get phone at BestBuy with a plan? My objective is to buy a travel phone - the Moto G XT1032 - and NOT be tied to any carrier. I will obtain disposable phone no. locally - this is cheapest way to go.
My first Camimo was CF and used nothing except iPod Touch, and had it setup with Google Voice and Another app for making calls. It cost me a couple cents a minute to make calls. This worked very well with wifi and was able to blog most days on CF. On CP, wifi less available and will be able to call ahead and book accommodations. The iPhone 5 is good choice for global phone.
Cheers,
Janice
Hi Janice
No, in fact they sell the moto at Best Buy and Target too, not sure which generation but both are about $50.00, but being a content net10 minutes user no way would I enter back into contract phone use. i just want to make sure I have access while in Spain using minutes cards, I know that wifi is another option with my Ipod touch for reservations on the way, etc.
Did you see the other post today by Bajaracer regarding the sim card??? Still not sure about how to bookmark another feed together here! Nancy

Swapping SIM cards is like swapping license plates on your vehicle, the license plate number is assigned to the plate, not the vehicle, your phone number is tied to the SIM card you buy, and not your phone, all your contacts, apps, settings, and photos stay on the phone.
Bajaracer
I know they are easy to swap out, not sure when you change the country and language. How do you plan for a number? Are you thinking to set it up in usa and just go with that number? Nancy

Bajaracer
I know they are easy to swap out, not sure when you change the country and language. How do you plan for a number? Are you thinking to set it up in usa and just go with that number? Nancy

Your phone number changes with each SIM card you install, you can't plan for a number till you get the new SIM card, once you install a new local SIM card, call or text those at home your new number you can be reached at while you are in Spain. The language settings stay the same on your phone regardless of what SIM card is installed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Bajaracer
Wow that was an expensive phone to then have to add a larger SD card.
They sell these Moto phones at Target and Best Buy for $50.00 usd. So makes me ask what is the advantage of this phone? The newest generation? Also what is OTD? Thank you for joining the discussion! Nancy

Actually its not that expensive compared to other smartphones out there, do some research and you'll nothing but great reviews.
The Moto phones that are at Target and Best Buy are usually locked to the carrier and they will unlock them only after a certain amount of time, it may be cheap, but the carrier still has control over the device. When you buy the factory unlocked version, there are no carrier control or bloat wear. The newest generation Moto G also included the latest Android update as well which impressed me.
OTD-Out the door.

Hi Janice
No, in fact they sell the moto at Best Buy and Target too, not sure which generation but both are about $50.00, but being a content net10 minutes user no way would I enter back into contract phone use. i just want to make sure I have access while in Spain using minutes cards, I know that wifi is another option with my Ipod touch for reservations on the way, etc.
Did you see the other post today by Bajaracer regarding the sim card??? Still not sure about how to bookmark another feed together here! Nancy

You can still keep your Net10 by buying a fully unlocked phone, you just have to pay full price for an unlocked phone. B&H Photo has all kinds of unlocked GSM phones, you can install your Net10 SIM card into an unlocked device and switch back once you get home.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/portable-entertainment/features/unlocked-phones-primer

Hi Janice

Hi Nancy,
Yes, I can see all replies in this thread by clicking on my alerts button.
Advantage to buying sim locally - I can get sim card in Lisbon - it will cost me ~15 euro (about $15) with 500 minutes, 1 GB data. It is prepaid - there are no hidden cost's, no roaming fee's, not tied to carrier. I will have a local phone number. If I call ahead someplace to book a bed, and maybe they are full. But for a no show I will expect that person to call me back and say they have a bed after all. That person will probably NOT call me back if I do not have a local phone number. THEY HAVE TO PAY to make a call to USA number, and will be less inclined to do so. I will not use that many minutes, maybe I will use that much data, but if I have any leftover when I reach Spain, I can continue to use same sim card but at a higher rate. I will probably just buy another sim card in Porto - another ~ $15 to see me thru Spain. The network coverage with a local sim should be cheaper, have better coverage and the person in the phone shop will set it up for me. I believe they can also topped off along the way at shops and bars. And the sim is good for 12 month? I have never had a carrier that cost $15 for even ONE month of minutes and data!
You will not lose your USA phone number - maybe you have a reason to use USA phone number while you are on camino? - I guess that's why some phones have dual sim card slots. But even if your phone only has one, you just pop it out and replace with the phone number you want to use.
I hope this is as clear as mud haha :)
Good luck, and dont fret - the Camino has a way of taking care of pilgrim's.
Will you be walking toward Santiago?

Janice

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, and just one more point @Nancy Heinzen , the Moto G 1st generation XT1032 is optimized to work globally with GSM networks. GSM (not CDMA as in Verizon) is what is used in Europe, and many other parts of the world. I will expect 3G, but 2G will also be fine for my needs. It is optimized ABOVE the coverage you would have with "US version"
Janice

Actually its not that expensive compared to other smartphones out there, do some research and you'll nothing but great reviews.
The Moto phones that are at Target and Best Buy are usually locked to the carrier and they will unlock them only after a certain amount of time, it may be cheap, but the carrier still has control over the device. When you buy the factory unlocked version, there are no carrier control or bloat wear. The newest generation Moto G also included the latest Android update as well which impressed me.
OTD-Out the door.

Lot's of stories too of carriers stating there phones are unlocked. Yes, they may unlock it for you when you are traveling internationally - and then they lock it when you return. Not a truly unlocked phone at all.
Oh, and Bajaracer - they have a sale on accessories at motorola dot com - I might get a otter case for $5! The Moto G has gorilla glass and water resistant and with otter case it will be indestructible.

Janice

Lot's of stories too of carriers stating there phones are unlocked. Yes, they may unlock it for you when you are traveling internationally - and then they lock it when you return. Not a truly unlocked phone at all.
Oh, and Bajaracer - they have a sale on accessories at motorola dot com - I might get a otter case for $5! The Moto G has gorilla glass and water resistant and with otter case it will be indestructible.

Janice
I bought an ottercase for my ipod touch, have to press harder but best case ever.
I tend to be drawn to upgrading to a dual country unlocked version phone, I have been using cheap easy to replace androids as a way to my next level. I do want to be reachable while out there as you mentioned.

I understood unless it is factory unlocked phone it is vulnerable to hacking. Making the Moto GSM a great option.

About replacing the usa sim when you return, it almost sounds too easy to work that transparent. But then I do not understand how Tmobil can work in and out of countys either on the same sim.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Janice

Janice
Who would unlock and lock a phone?

Oh, and just one more point @Nancy Heinzen , the Moto G 1st generation XT1032 is optimized to work globally with GSM networks. GSM (not CDMA as in Verizon) is what is used in Europe, and many other parts of the world. I will expect 3G, but 2G will also be fine for my needs. It is optimized ABOVE the coverage you would have with "US version"
Janice
That is what I thought and that those sold at Target and BB are unlocked right out of the box. I will have to check again for the generation, I know they use minutes no contracts.

Hi Nancy,
Yes, I can see all replies in this thread by clicking on my alerts button.
Advantage to buying sim locally - I can get sim card in Lisbon - it will cost me ~15 euro (about $15) with 500 minutes, 1 GB data. It is prepaid - there are no hidden cost's, no roaming fee's, not tied to carrier. I will have a local phone number. If I call ahead someplace to book a bed, and maybe they are full. But for a no show I will expect that person to call me back and say they have a bed after all. That person will probably NOT call me back if I do not have a local phone number. THEY HAVE TO PAY to make a call to USA number, and will be less inclined to do so. I will not use that many minutes, maybe I will use that much data, but if I have any leftover when I reach Spain, I can continue to use same sim card but at a higher rate. I will probably just buy another sim card in Porto - another ~ $15 to see me thru Spain. The network coverage with a local sim should be cheaper, have better coverage and the person in the phone shop will set it up for me. I believe they can also topped off along the way at shops and bars. And the sim is good for 12 month? I have never had a carrier that cost $15 for even ONE month of minutes and data!
You will not lose your USA phone number - maybe you have a reason to use USA phone number while you are on camino? - I guess that's why some phones have dual sim card slots. But even if your phone only has one, you just pop it out and replace with the phone number you want to use.
I hope this is as clear as mud haha :)
Good luck, and dont fret - the Camino has a way of taking care of pilgrim's.
Will you be walking toward Santiago?

Janice

Janice
Now it makes sense, and I knew it would be less expensive once I figured out the phone piece. I am Not tied to usa number because I have the ipod.
Did not know there was phone with dual sims though.
Yes all clear right over My head!
Thanks for sharing the info, so helpful.
Starting in Pamploma, my adventure starts flying buddy pass to Paris, train, bus then adjust to start. Hoping to to start the end of July. Lets keep in touch Buen Camino Nancy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Janice
Now it makes sense, and I knew it would be less expensive once I figured out the phone piece. I am Not tied to usa number because I have the ipod.
Starting in Pamploma, my adventure starts flying buddy pass to Paris, train, bus then adjust to start. Hoping to to start the end of July. Lets keep in touch Buen Camino Nancy

Burn Camino Nancy
You have plenty of time to sort it out. If I remember correctly Pamplona was the town with free wifi city-wide.
Whatever mobile you decide just remember .....
Global GSM
Factory unlocked
Local sim

Janice

Janice

Here is an inexpensive dual SIM smartphone for $159.95 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1148732-REG/microsoft_a00025378_lumia_640_4g_lte.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.