• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mountain bike tyres for the Vadiniense

exet0189

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Salvadorx2 (all by MTB)
I'm an experienced (and polite, I promise!) Camino mountain-biker. Next month I'll be riding the Lebaniego/Vadiniense. Can anyone who's ridden this route, or who's walked it and knows their bicycles, advise me on tyres? Basically: full off-road knobbly tyres, or fat hybrid tyres? I used hybrids happily on the Norte, and am tempted to do so again given the asphalt sections of the vadiniense. But if the off-road sections are really tough, then I'll take full knobblies. And of course I'll do the same if the weather looks ropey. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I know nothing about tires, but I can tell you that the two most "off road" sections are from Potes to Espinama and Fuente de to the pass whose name I forget. But if you look at my pictures, I think you'll see that even those paths seem quite manageable for a "regular" mountain bike. But the VAdiniense is probably a perfect bike camino because so much of it is on the side or roads. Buen camino, Laurie

https://picasaweb.google.com/104105...oVadiniense2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTtssmhqoSClQE

Thank you! Lovely photos, and your last one is of the parador where my (Leonesa) wife and I got married 14 years ago!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Cosgaya link could easily be done with hybrid tires. It is gravelled agricultural road leading through the Puerto San Glorio and then down to the N-621 to LLanaves de la Reyna.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hybrid, no need for heavy duty tyres, roads are broad and not so demanding, and you also find a generour part of tarmac, the hardest part might be the descent from Pendes to the main road, and from Santo Toribio to Mogrovejo, and even that should be manageable, they are not long stretches at all.

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Interesting article on the Camino Lebaniego where Cantabria are receiving 1.4m euros towards the Camino. Seems it is part of a Euro 64m project across Spain, France and Portugal. Edit due to more...
Hi everybody! What do you think about my plan to the next summer, in 26 days? Is it a good plan? Camino Vadiniense: San Vicente de la Barquera - Cades Cades - Cicera Cicera - Potes Potes -...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back