• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mountain splendor from Ponferrada or El Acebo

peregrina2000

Staff member
If you are on the camino Frances now and looking for a break from the crowds, may I suggest a two day walk from El Acebo to Ponferrada or a three day circle from Ponferrada. It is mountain walking in all its glory and has many Roman, visigothic, Mozarabic, and Romanesque highlights. I will elaborate with lots of details upon my return home but just want to say that the Camino doesn't get more spectacular than this. If you're in the vicinity and interested, let me know. It goes through the Valle del Silencio and gives you many opportunities to shout for joy at the amazing beauty all around you. The trails are extremely well marked despite what many of the "locals" say. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg And if you are lucky enough to walk with Reb you will savor every moment even more.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are on the camino Frances now and looking for a break from the crowds, may I suggest a two day walk from El Acebo to Ponferrada or a three day circle from Ponferrada. It is mountain walking in all its glory and has many Roman, visigothic, Mozarabic, and Romanesque highlights. I will elaborate with lots of details upon my return home but just want to say that the Camino doesn't get more spectacular than this. If you're in the vicinity and interested, let me know. It goes through the Valle del Silencio and gives you many opportunities to shout for joy at the amazing beauty all around you. The trails are extremely well marked despite what many if the "locals" say. View attachment 11340 View attachment 11341 View attachment 11342 And if you are lucky enough to walk with Reb you will savor every moment even more.
Would follow any of your advice!
Always have loved your recommendations and advice.
I too would love to hear more about this for my next trip with kiddos!
Neve

Variations on this route are available on Wikiloc, just do searches "Acebo - Penalba," "Puentes de Malpaso," or "Ruta de los Monjes." I walked the Acebo - Penalba route in 2010 while Camino Invierno guide planning; it is part of the 30-odd hikes on the regional "Mirada Circular" hiking route of El Bierzo. It is quite challenging in places, and I too recommend doing it with walking sticks and at least one other person. Daily etapas are about 20 to 25 km., with some serious climbing and descending included (one grade was 28%!)

Four years ago waymarking was almost non-existent, so I did not include these (very worthwhile) trails in that year's guides. I needed compass and maps to find the way. In the years since then someone's done a very good job waymarking the routes, my hat is off!

Laurie and I will make up a little guide if people are interested. She has GPS tracks and lovely pictures. I have a bunch of old-fashioned maps, and some familiarity with the history and culture of the area... And plenty of opinions!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So, while my memory is still relatively fresh, here are the instructions I would give, which may be different from Reb's recommendations because she knows more of the variants. I will also try to keep all of my effusive gushing about the beauty of these days out of this post.

Day One. If you want to start from either Ponferrada or Molinaseca, you will look for the trail "Las Fuentes del Malpaso." Everyone knows this trail so you can get directions easily. Reb and I walked from Ponferrada--go over the puente Boeza ( the medieval bridge that also marks the start of the Invierno). Walk on country roads about 3-4 km to the town of Lombillo. About 10 minutes outside of town, a wide path goes off to the right. You take it up and down and eventually arrive at the two bridges, beautiful water and green everywhere. Then up to Riego de Ambros and from there on the Francés "backwards" to El Acebo.

You can also start the Puentes de Malpaso trail from in front of the church San Nicolás de Bari in Molinaseca and it will join up with the trail Reb and I walked.

Day two. El Acebo to Peñalba. Jaime in the B&B La Trucha has lots of good info. The trail leaves from in front of his place, going down to the river. Take the turn-off for La Herrería, which is a Roman forge that's pretty amazing. There is a large map there showing you all kinds of options but we did not take the route that goes to Compludo. From the forge it's up and down, up and down, to Espinosa de Compludo and then San Cristóbal de Valdueza. There are good markings. Both are prettified little mountain towns and Bar Pili is in the second. From there it's a pretty level but sunny (and long) walk around the edge/side of the montes to get to the right valley and Peñalba.

We stayed in La Masera albergue. Fabulous place, 20 € each includes breakfast from the albergue's well stocked kitchen. Church is closed Mondays and Tuesdays but the cantina next door has the keys and will let you in. The albergue is not open in winter so call or email ahead. Two places to eat-- the cantina where we had an over-priced meal with a great view and the somewhat upscale restaurant where you must place your order early. A lovely two km walk takes you go the cave where San Genadio lived during the 7th century.

Day three. Peñalba to Ponferrada is a long day with a lot of lovely stops and incredible views. First up the mountain on the Montes trail. You will be out on the mountain! Just incredible, there's a labyrinth and then a cruel descent over Roman road and through Roman channels. You will enter the town of Montes with its abandoned but fascinating monastery. We were so happy to get a tour with a very knowledgeable local woman.

Last edited:
Continuing on.

From Montes, get on the trail which will be known either as Mirafa Circular or Montes Aquilianos. Leave through the parking lot and stay more or less at the same altitude. The road loops way out but you will eventually be back near it and the river. When you are walking parallel to the river (but way above it) after about 20-30 minutes, you will see some buildings down on the river. A path branches right and down towards them. Don't take it! Stay straight. The path now stays close to the river and comes out on the road near the towns of San Clemente, Val de Figueros, and finally San Esteban, where there is a very nice mesón /bar. (The first of the stage, so bring food and drink. ). Then an up and down 30-45 minutes alongside the road to the town of San Lorenzo, where you can hop on a municipal bus. Or you can stay on the sidewalk and walk the last few kms back into town, making a complete circle when you get to the medieval bridge.

There are various options, but I liked the one Reb and I did very much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One more thing. If, fingers crossed, I was able to record the walk on the gps, Gunnar and Susanna will hopefully get the tracks properly loaded and posted for anyone to use. Laurie.

Great info and write-up. I should be in that area around the 1st week of October. Sounds like a perfect time to break away from the crowds and enjoy some mountain scenery. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope very much, time permitting, to follow that trail from El Acebo to Ponferrada. What would be your estimate for how much additional time this will add vs staying on the traditional trail? Thanks

Roger

Hi, Roger, El Acebo to Ponferrada on the Frances is a short 16km. Many people will either start earlier (Foncebadon) or go on further, say to Cacabelos). El Acebo to Ponferrada on this "alternative" path would be two full days, both in the 20s range, but with a lot of elevation. It is a walk that anyone who has been walking for a while can do without feeling exhausted. I think our predominant feeling was exhiliration!

So to answer your question, I guess you would turn what would otherwise be a half or 2/3 day from El Acebo to Ponferrada into a two full day walk into Ponferrada. (you would be doing two of the three days we did, since we started in Ponferrada and took our first day to go back up to El Acebo on another alternative path). I know that for some people, once you are in the "camino mentality" it's hard to consider detours/deviations from the arrows. I saw it in El Acebo when talking to some South African pilgrims who were intrigued with our plans but couldn't imagine leaving the Camino. I respect that, but for anyone who isn't feeling that way, this is a great alternative. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Roger, El Acebo to Ponferrada on the Frances is a short 16km. Many people will either start earlier (Foncebadon) or go on further, say to Cacabelos). El Acebo to Ponferrada on this "alternative" path would be two full days, both in the 20s range, but with a lot of elevation. It is a walk that anyone who has been walking for a while can do without feeling exhausted. I think our predominant feeling was exhiliration!

So to answer your question, I guess you would turn what would otherwise be a half or 2/3 day from El Acebo to Ponferrada into a two full day walk into Ponferrada. (you would be doing two of the three days we did, since we started in Ponferrada and took our first day to go back up to El Acebo on another alternative path). I know that for some people, once you are in the "camino mentality" it's hard to consider detours/deviations from the arrows. I saw it in El Acebo when talking to some South African pilgrims who were intrigued with our plans but couldn't imagine leaving the Camino. I respect that, but for anyone who isn't feeling that way, this is a great alternative. Buen camino, Laurie

Looks very interesting! Thanks for sharing this!

Thank you Laurie! Ponferrada is one of the places on the Camino I want to stop and spend a little time. I have had an interest in the Knights Templar for quite a while. Spending a couple of days walking in the mountains away from the crowds is very appealing to me. And then to complete that walk and spend a day of rest and relaxation in Ponferrada would really be great. Thanks again for the info. I should be in this area around the 2nd week of of October. Hopefully it won't be too cold. I loved your pictures. Take Care --- Roger

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully we will have a little guide done up by then. And just this week a pilgrim Albergue opened in Penalba de Santiago -- 8 beds, right next to the church!

Rebekah is actually using the papal "we" when she says "we" will have a little guide. Reb, you are the guide writer, and I am the "additional comments provider" so get going girl.

And what do you think about a pilgrim albergue in Penalba? Isn't that just going to put La Masera out of existence? That was about the nicest albergue I can ever imagine staying in.

Hopefully we will have a little guide done up by then. And just this week a pilgrim Albergue opened in Penalba de Santiago -- 8 beds, right next to the church!

Sounds great! I leave in about 6 weeks and I'll look to see if your guide is done by then. This is your chance to get an old ex-Marine walking in circles and chasing his tail in the mountains in Spain. ;)

Thanks again!

Roger

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think La Masera will survive if they just re-cast themselves as a hiker´s pension or some such -- it is superb, a great value for money. I think the pilgrim hostal is just for credentialed pilgs., and pretty minimalist. I hope to get up to Peñalba again a couple of weeks and see what is what, the info I have on the new place is pretty sketchy.

Just for the record: Laurie is the person with the GPS, photos, and connections to people who can do the mapping and distances that make a guide really work. She´s also got a well-earned fan following who would go anywhere she´s been, with well-placed confianza. I am just an old hack who likes history and is here on the ground. Between the two of us, we can do guides like nobody else!

I think La Masera will survive if they just re-cast themselves as a hiker´s pension or some such -- it is superb, a great value for money. I think the pilgrim hostal is just for credentialed pilgs., and pretty minimalist. I hope to get up to Peñalba again a couple of weeks and see what is what, the info I have on the new place is pretty sketchy.

Just for the record: Laurie is the person with the GPS, photos, and connections to people who can do the mapping and distances that make a guide really work. She´s also got a well-earned fan following who would go anywhere she´s been, with well-placed confianza. I am just an old hack who likes history and is here on the ground. Between the two of us, we can do guides like nobody else!

Well, whatever we are, we are a great team! And great walking companions!

Reb and me.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds great! I leave in about 6 weeks and I'll look to see if your guide is done by then. This is your chance to get an old ex-Marine walking in circles and chasing his tail in the mountains in Spain. ;)

Thanks again!

Roger

To all ex marines and anyone else interested in walking some or all of this circle. I now have the gps tracks on my computer and will try to get them posted in wikilocs soon. But in the meantime if anyone is walking soon and would like to see them, I can email them to you. Buen camino, Laurie

Here are the distances and elevation gains for the three days of hiking. I would rate all three days as "moderate" but there´s a good cardio workout in all of them! Buen camino, Laurie

Day 1 (Ponferrada to El Acebo via Las Puentes de Malpaso)
11.8 miles; 3,215 feet elevation gain; 1,083 feet descent
19 km; 980 meters elevation gain; 679 meters descent

Day 2 (El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago)
13.5 miles; 2,142 feet elevation gain; 2,228 feet descent
21.7 km; 653 meters elevation gain; 679 meters descent

Day 3 (Peñalba de Santiago to Montes de Valdeuso to Ponferrada)
14.4 miles; 1512 feet elevation gain; 3,264 feet descent
23 km; 461 meters elevation gain; 995 meters descent

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just saw that the Herrería de Compludo, the old water-powered forge we explored when we walked from El Acebo to Peñalba, is re-opening for tourists in Semana Santa.

Rebekah is the historian so maybe she will chime in to provide all the important detail that has escaped my memory. I remember an extremely verdant, lush site, a huge water wheel to turn the anvil, and a peaceful quiet all around. I had thought it was of Roman origin, but maybe it´s medieval, in any event, it´s OLD.

http://www.infobierzo.com/la-herrer...s-de-3-anos-en-una-experiencia-piloto/164500/

So, Reb, if we do this circle again in July, maybe we´ll get a proper tour! Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I should really like a copy of your guide, with maps, preferably, as I do not use GPS. I shall be in the area around the end of October on the Frances, and I have plenty of time to detour and am totally addicted to mountains. Do you know if either albergue is likely to be open in Penalba de Santiago in late October, early November? Would they be on the list at SJPDP? Thanks so much for sharing this with the forum.

I just found this thank you !
peregrina2000 and
Rebekah Scott
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/members/peregrina2000.537/

might just include this into my walk. Was a guide written in the end?

Davey
I should really like a copy of your guide, with maps, preferably, as I do not use GPS. I shall be in the area around the end of October on the Frances, and I have plenty of time to detour and am totally addicted to mountains. Do you know if either albergue is likely to be open in Penalba de Santiago in late October, early November? Would they be on the list at SJPDP? Thanks so much for sharing this with the forum.

I've got a copy of it somewhere on the computer in my office and will find it tomorrow, Santiago willing. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The albergue we stayed in, La Masera, is open in October and beyond but only upon prior arrangement. I don't know about the other one. They will not be on the list in SJPP because they are not on the main Camino Frances. I hope to be there in July and will definitely post afterwards. Albertagirl, if you are addicted to mountains, this is the walk for you.

Here is the copy of what Rebekah wrote and I edited a bit. The lovely prose, the interesting historical/cultural explanations, etc., are all hers. My contributions are more along the lines of -- "don´t take that turn to the right like I would have but for Rebekah´s good sense of direction." :)

This summer, we hope to meet up in Ponferrada again and go back to the Valle del Silencio, but we will change up our itinerary a bit. Last year we walked Ponferrada - El Acebo - Peñalba de Santiago - Ponferrada.

This year we will try a slightly different version -- Ponferrada - El Acebo - Peñalba de Santiago - As Médulas (and from there carry on on the Camino de Invierno). Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Valley of Silence.pdf
    123.6 KB · Views: 113
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We did hear from Roger that when he arrived in El Acebo, he decided to stay on the Francés, so we have not yet had anyone, to my knowledge at least, who has walked using our little document. Would love to hear from someone who tries it out! Laurie

that said, we do not know how many people HAVE used our little document and are now piles of bleaching bones on the mountainside...
Brruuahahaha! ;)

Seriously, think twice about taking this route alone in late October. The weather starts getting dicey up there about then. At least check with some locals before you leave for a weather report. Don't take chances. Parts of this are pretty isolated, esp. in the off-season.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've got a copy of it somewhere on the computer in my office and will find it tomorrow, Santiago willing. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The albergue we stayed in, La Masera, is open in October and beyond but only upon prior arrangement. I don't know about the other one. They will not be on the list in SJPP because they are not on the main Camino Frances. I hope to be there in July and will definitely post afterwards. Albertagirl, if you are addicted to mountains, this is the walk for you.
Next time to walk Invierno it will surely be this "detour". Not only because of awfully painfull (for my knees) descend to Molinaseca, but also because my family name is Masera and I wanted to stay at La Masera ;)

Looks great, I may incorporate it into next year's "stroll."

I never get lost but I do sometimes " explore alternative routes."

€149,-
We did hear from Roger that when he arrived in El Acebo, he decided to stay on the Francés, so we have not yet had anyone, to my knowledge at least, who has walked using our little document. Would love to hear from someone who tries it out! Laurie

Yeah, I did not feel up to the hike to the Valley of Silence. I have continued my walking and am trying to lose some additional weight in hopes of returning to the Camino in 3 or 4 years. Rebekah and Laurie provided a lot of good information that I hope to take advantage of then. Beautiful area from what could observe from the main trail.

We did hear from Roger that when he arrived in El Acebo, he decided to stay on the Francés, so we have not yet had anyone, to my knowledge at least, who has walked using our little document

Hi, love the thread, thanks for posting. If the weather is good, and the forecast is good, and I can find someone to walk with me, I’d like to try walking from El Acebo to Molinaseca on this route via La Herreria and Espinoso de Compludo in early November. Google Maps shows it to be 21 kms with lots of ups and downs. I realise it will be early winter so will check and double check with the locals. What do you think? Appreciate any advice. Jill

Hi, love the thread, thanks for posting. If the weather is good, and the forecast is good, and I can find someone to walk with me, I’d like to try walking from El Acebo to Molinaseca on this route via La Herreria and Espinoso de Compludo in early November. Google Maps shows it to be 21 kms with lots of ups and downs. I realise it will be early winter so will check and double check with the locals. What do you think? Appreciate any advice. Jill

No advice, but I am planning on walking that side trip at about the same time, if all goes well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Jill,
I am very cartographically challenged, so it's not immediately clear to me how you will go from El Acebo to Molinaseca while going to La Herreria. I'm sure it can be done, but it would not be the way Reb and I walked, at least I don't think so. To go from El Acebo to Molinaseca, the most obvious way would be to go to Riego de Ambros (on the Frances) and then detour off onto the Puentes de Malpaso trail. There is a turnoff for Molinaseca further on. We left El Acebo and descended to the forge (La Herreria) and then continued to Penalba de Santiago, which I would highly recommend if you have the time. But what I don't know is how to get from that trail over to Molinaseca. I'm not sure I"m making sense, so I'll have to look at a map and see what you are planning to do. Buen Camino, Laurie

If you are on the camino Frances now and looking for a break from the crowds, may I suggest a two day walk from El Acebo to Ponferrada or a three day circle from Ponferrada. It is mountain walking in all its glory and has many Roman, visigothic, Mozarabic, and Romanesque highlights. I will elaborate with lots of details upon my return home but just want to say that the Camino doesn't get more spectacular than this. If you're in the vicinity and interested, let me know. It goes through the Valle del Silencio and gives you many opportunities to shout for joy at the amazing beauty all around you. The trails are extremely well marked despite what many if the "locals" say. View attachment 11340 View attachment 11341 View attachment 11342 And if you are lucky enough to walk with Reb you will savor every moment even more.
Wow! I leave from the States on Monday to Madrid. Apologies for the question in advance but where is this on the Frances?

Hi Justabob,
The route is located between El Acebo and Ponferrada. Both of these towns are on the Frances. Rebekah and I walked a three day circle from Ponferrada, but you could just as easily walk two days if you don't have time for a circle -- from El Acebo to Penalba de Santiago, and then day 2 Penalba to Ponferrada. But that means you would miss the Puentes de Malpaso trail, a lovely green mountain path that goes from either Ponferrada or Molinaseca up to Riego de Ambros and on to El Acebo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
[
QUOTE="peregrina2000, post: 291430, member: 537"]Hi Justabob,
The route is located between El Acebo and Ponferrada. Both of these towns are on the Frances. Rebekah and I walked a three day circle from Ponferrada, but you could just as easily walk two days if you don't have time for a circle -- from El Acebo to Penalba de Santiago, and then day 2 Penalba to Ponferrada. But that means you would miss the Puentes de Malpaso trail, a lovely green mountain path that goes from either Ponferrada or Molinaseca up to Riego de Ambros and on to El Acebo.[/QUOTE]

Laurie, I obviously still have only the faintest idea as to where you and Rebekah walked. I still want to try to follow your route, but I should probably have a lot more information before I try it. I believe that you said at one point that you will be giving more information on your route later in the year. I also need a good map. (I have no idea where to acquire maps of Spain). I can see that I have some work to do before I go off the trail, especially as some of you may have have seen the thread where I confessed to having no sense of direction.

Hi Justabob,
The route is located between El Acebo and Ponferrada. Both of these towns are on the Frances. Rebekah and I walked a three day circle from Ponferrada, but you could just as easily walk two days if you don't have time for a circle -- from El Acebo to Penalba de Santiago, and then day 2 Penalba to Ponferrada. But that means you would miss the Puentes de Malpaso trail, a lovely green mountain path that goes from either Ponferrada or Molinaseca up to Riego de Ambros and on to El Acebo.
Thanks so much...

Hi, Jill,
I am very cartographically challenged, so it's not immediately clear to me how you will go from El Acebo to Molinaseca while going to La Herreria.

Go to google maps https://maps.google.com/ and enter direction from El Acebo de San Miguel, Spain to Molinaseca, León, Spain. Select the Walk option, zoom in until you see Espinoso de Compludo to the south, and drag the route down to it. You should then see the route of 21,4 kms marked out along country roads. Jill

This circle route intrigues me ... safe for a lone walker in your opinion??

This circle route intrigues me ... safe for a lone walker in your opinion??

Hi, ShellsG,
Yes, I think it is totally safe. I did walk this route with Rebekah, so I wasn't alone, but I have walked many caminos totally alone and this one would have been fine, too. You can see the gps tracks on my wikilocs page (my name is peregrina2000) in case you have a gps.

It is one of the most beautiful three days I have walked on my 15 years of walking Caminos. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, ShellsG,
Yes, I think it is totally safe. I did walk this route with Rebekah, so I wasn't alone, but I have walked many caminos totally alone and this one would have been fine, too. You can see the gps tracks on my wikilocs page (my name is peregrina2000) in case you have a gps.

It is one of the most beautiful three days I have walked on my 15 years of walking Caminos. Buen camino, Laurie
I don't and won't have a GPS but am doing to copy and print the instructions you gave .... I have been looking for suggestions on side trips, this is perfect and perhaps I will meet someone who is also interested .. or not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't and won't have a GPS but am doing to copy and print the instructions you gave .... I have been looking for suggestions on side trips, this is perfect and perhaps I will meet someone who is also interested .. or not.

Reb and I have a written "guide" to this route, there is a link to it in post #33 in this thread. If you can't find it, let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

Ok, if these pictures don't make you want to walk this little circle, you are a bad judge of beauty. :)

El Acebo - Peñalba de Santiago - As Médulas (and from there carry on on the Camino de Invierno
Wow, wow, wow. Thank you both, Laurie and Reb!!
OK, so this is definitely going on my list...
Laurie, how did the mountains compare to the ones on the San Salvador? (In terms of beauty, I mean, not difficulty...)

€83,-
The Salvador mountains, I think, must be at a higher elevation. But both have a lot of walking through green meadows (think from after the Pajares pass to the town of Pajares) and both have those stretches when you can see nothing but natural beauty all around you. Maybe more flowers and gorse on the Salvador mountain part, while as the top picture shows, these are mostly green. I could not pick one over the other no matter how hard I tried, however.

Just completed the 2 days of this route from Acebo to Ponferrada, and can confirm there are no piles of bleached bones but some of the best walking in my life (not just my Camino). Thanks guys for the excellent guide!

I used the additional description of the route from http://www.pilipalapress.com/cordillera.php and although they describe a more simple (i.e. less exciting) route it was a useful comparison to have.

I also foolishly ignored warnings to call ahead and arrange accommodation in Peñalba. As a result I ended up sleeping on a balcony, which was atmospheric but very cold! It being Monday & Tuesday in October, basically nothing was open anywhere, so be prepared.

Also worth emphasising that the section between Peñalba & Montes is particularly challenging (up and down), but so worth it.

I uploaded photos to facebook, and think this link will work if that will help anyone with the decision to make the trip... https://m.facebook.com/robbie.cowbury/albums/10101730878977062/?ref=bookmarks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm bookmarking this. More to dream about for next year!
Just completed the 2 days of this route from Acebo to Ponferrada, and can confirm there are no piles of bleached bones but some of the best walking in my life (not just my Camino). Thanks guys for the excellent guide!

I used the additional description of the route from http://www.pilipalapress.com/cordillera.php and although they describe a more simple (i.e. less exciting) route it was a useful comparison to have.

I also foolishly ignored warnings to call ahead and arrange accommodation in Peñalba. As a result I ended up sleeping on a balcony, which was atmospheric but very cold! It being Monday & Tuesday in October, basically nothing was open anywhere, so be prepared.

Also worth emphasising that the section between Peñalba & Montes is particularly challenging (up and down), but so worth it.

I uploaded photos to facebook, and think this link will work if that will help anyone with the decision to make the trip... https://m.facebook.com/robbie.cowbury/albums/10101730878977062/?ref=bookmarks

So glad to see that we've enticed at least one other peregrino! Good update and a heads up on making a reservation in Peñalba. Did you get into the church and/or the monastery in Montes? We were there in summer so I'm not sure about fall hours of operation for these places. Thanks for reporting back. Buen camino, Laurie

Monastery currently undergoing repairs. Still got great views around the outside!

Thanks Laurie and Reb for the pics and the guide. I'll be going in April 2017 and plan on taking this sidetrip. Looking forward to some time off the beaten track! Brad

Well this is making my decision making very difficult for my little trip in August.
1. Camino Madrid, CF to Leon, Salvador,
.....or.....
2. Camino Madrid, CF to Ponferrada, this little beauty, Invierno

Completely undecided and in 2 minds. So many recommendations for all. Love mountains so anything up and downy is just fine with me. The less flat the better :)

Rich tough decision. You will know once you get seasoned in spain. Follow your ❤.

Very tough
Just had another idea....start in Leon, Salvador, Primitivo, back track to Ponferrada, this little circuit, then Invierno!!!
Good idea

I just saw that an American non-profit has donated 100,000€ to restore the paintings in the church in Peñalba de Santiago, the town where we spent night number 2 on this gorgeous circular walk from Ponferrada. https://www.infobierzo.com/un-mecen...uras-califales-de-santiago-de-penalba/398163/

I hope to return next year, but just saw that the Albergue Masera appears to be closed, and if that's true, I'm not sure there is anywhere to sleep in Peñalba. Does anyone have any recent info?

And if you are on the Camino Francés now with some extra days, check out this gorgeous walk!

Another option, which I hope to walk next year would be to walk from Peñalba de Santiago to As Médulas, instead of back to Ponferrada, which would get you on the Invierno.

Oh my, I've just whiled away a couple of hours with you guys on this stream and just when I was thinking I might have finished with Spain and caminos, I find myself dreaming again...
Well, having done the magical Invierno last month, in June, a few weeks ago really, might also have contributed to renewed enthusiasm. I'd be happy to do it again tomorrow.

So, Rich1, I like the sound of your options, especially 2 and 3, thank you. Which route did you end up doing?

I love your photos of the 3 day circle from Ponferrada, Laurie and Reb. I loved the Invierno, and especially the mountain area around Ponferrada which is so beautiful, with fascinating villages, so very happy to explore more. Pity about Albergue Masera, but perhaps some other option has opened..
Buen camino. Carole

I just had a roll through this thread... a trip down Memory Lane! My hair wasn't grey yet! I wonder if I could do these paths now, if that gorse-choked pathway up to the labyrinth after Penalba is still transitable after the lockdown (even the Frances is overgrown this spring!). I guess I need to dust off my sun hat and get up there for a look around!

Just for the record: Now that the Camino Invierno has gained popularity, intrepid hikers headed for that trail from the Frances can skip Ponferrada completely by following the path from El Acebo - Penalba - Montes de Valdeuso. From there you can take a marked Camino along the sides of the mountains all the way to Las Medulas, via Campo de las Danzas. (what a wonderful name!)
This is a splendid, long (22+ km, feels like 30), not-very-shaded mountain walk. It is the toughest day of camino walking this pilgrim has ever done. Parts of it are very isolated. Be careful, pilgrim! Bring food and lots of water!

I think this is the path:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/las-medulas-penalba-de-santiago-816476

Somehow I suspect someone on this Forum has walked this since I did!

Ok, if these pictures don't make you want to walk this little circle, you are a bad judge of beauty. :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/104105...nalbaPonferrada?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3UgLbBgtbIvAE#
Oh

https://picasaweb.google.com/104105...nalbaPonferrada?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3UgLbBgtbIvAE#
Oh my gosh what fabulous photos! I could look at #60, #62 all day ( the ones where you captured the sunlight on the mtns. against the foreground, homes lined cobblestoned hills, just beautiful. thank you Laurie for sharing your photos. Thanks to you/Reb for the excellent detail and guide related documents. What delicious looking detours for a future return to Espana! I realized when reading the threads, you posted them back in 2014 but that is the beauty of the Camino journey, knowledge and photos are timeless. Thank you again for generously sharing both.

Last year, when I walked the Invierno, I intended to walk from Ponferrada to Peñalba de Santiago and from there on to Las Médulas (first stage on the Invierno). But when I got to Peñalba, I realized that my GPS did not have the tracks from Peñalba, and my phone would not hold a charge long enough for me if I downloaded the tracks and used the phone. I found a very nice couple who had been with me on the visit to the church, and asked them to take me back to Ponferrada. The next day, I started the Invierno from there. But NEXT time, I am bound and determined to walk from Peñalba to Médulas.

The weather wasn’t quite as good as when Reb and I walked, but it was stil very beautiful.

Attachments

• 0F286E65-8747-4800-B97A-5A0CF4043C96.jpeg
    0F286E65-8747-4800-B97A-5A0CF4043C96.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 5D53F274-1155-4C9F-A7B6-0CE5100638B9.jpeg
    5D53F274-1155-4C9F-A7B6-0CE5100638B9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • AD1526A7-C076-4259-929F-90F5D6035A49.jpeg
    AD1526A7-C076-4259-929F-90F5D6035A49.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • B235873C-0541-448D-B129-DA82E1DEA3C4.jpeg
    B235873C-0541-448D-B129-DA82E1DEA3C4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 8939B824-A15E-4185-B162-B2BB414812C5.jpeg
    8939B824-A15E-4185-B162-B2BB414812C5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
How nice to see this thread active again! I book-marked it and saved the pdf a long time ago.

If 'global circumstances' allow, I'll be on the CF in April 2021 and I've been thinking about (maybe) detouring from El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago. My timeframe is pretty tight, but it's very, very, very tempting.

The more I contemplate this trail, the more I think it's wise for pilgrims to NOT travel the Penalba-Las Medulas route on their own, especially if you don't have good Spanish, you have a dicey knee, or your phone doesn't hold a good charge. You're a long way from anywhere, high up on a mountainside.
Just because I was a loon doesn't mean you gotta be one too.

Thanks for this Laurie. I will consider it when I get closer but don’t want to tempt fate by thinking further than Najera tomorrow.

The more I contemplate this trail, the more I think it's wise for pilgrims to NOT travel the Penalba-Las Medulas route on their own, especially if you don't have good Spanish, you have a dicey knee, or your phone doesn't hold a good charge. You're a long way from anywhere, high up on a mountainside.
Things are also now a bit more complicated because La Masera (the albergue turistico where Reb and I stayed in Peñalba) appears to be for sale. I can’t tell how old this listing is or whether it is current, but the albergue seems to be closed. There is a casa rural, but it seems to only be available as a whole-house-rental.

I remember Reb once told us that a small albergue was set to open in Peñaba, but that doesn’t seem to have happened.

So, now to complicate the issue of walking from Peñalba to Las Médulas, there’s an additional issue about whether you would find a place to sleep in Peñalba, even if you were taking the “less ambitious” route of Ponferrada - El Acebo- Peñalba-Ponferrada. I can’t think of any alternative ways to walk that would avoid this problem, but maybe I’m not being creative enough. One thing is pretty certain — if you walk to Peñalba, either from El Acebo or from Ponferrada, you are likely to be able to find someone to take you in a car to Ponferrada. Judging from the size of the parking lot outside the entrance to town (no cars allowed in town) I think there is a steady stream of visitors. The organized church tours are a good place to meet people with cars.

the first time I was up there I rented a single room in an empty casa rural. The owner wasn't happy, but there wasn't anyone else in town and I was a paying customer, and not likely to throw any wild parties. I think it's the first place in this listing: https://www.casasrurales.net/casas-rurales/leon/penalba-de-santiago. These casas rurales can be real sharks, as you know -- they want to rent out the entire place for a small fortune. If you run into a problem, call down to Trucha de Arco Iris in El Acebo and ask them to help you... or have them negotiate soemthing for you the previous day, and cut out all the trouble.
When traveling alone I have also had some luck asking at restaurants and bars (after eating a nice meal) if they have rooms upstairs, or if they know anyone in town who can help me out.

Things are also now a bit more complicated because La Masera (the albergue turistico where Reb and I stayed in Peñalba) appears to be for sale. I can’t tell how old this listing is or whether it is current, but the albergue seems to be closed.
Totally appropriate for me. I even wouldn't have to change the name of the place because my family name is Mašera (engl.pron. "Mashera") which is close enough :D

I have seen Laurie's photos and info on this intriguing jewel of a walk before. I had previously seen tiny, far away Penalba off in the distance nestled in a valley on my way to El Acebo, but being a camino newbie at the time I never investigated, although it totally captured my curiosity and has stayed in my memory.
If a few of our more adventurous forum members walk this route in the next couple of years it would be enjoyble to see how it pans out for them. Hopefully a bit of new infrastructure will be in place by then

I have seen Laurie's photos and info on this intriguing jewel of a walk before. I had previously seen tiny, far away Penalba off in the distance nestled in a valley on my way to El Acebo, but being a camino newbie at the time I never investigated, although it totally captured my curiosity and has stayed in my memory.
If a few of our more adventurous forum members walk this route in the next couple of years it would be enjoyble to see how it pans out for them. Hopefully a bit of new infrastructure will be in place by then
I think I might try that. Once I'll finally get myself to walk Estrecho & Augusta & Plata (official, to Astorga) & some Frances and then from much loved El Acebo to Peňalba and onto Invierno again. But I think some will be faster than me and very soon :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think I might try that. Once I'll finally get myself to walk Estrecho & Augusta & Plata (official, to Astorga) & some Frances and then from much loved El Acebo to Peňalba and onto Invierno again. But I think some will be faster than me and very soon :)
I figured you might be just the guy to do it, Kinky and you are still quite young. I too, absolutely love El Acebo and that stretch. One of my faves on the Frances.
20150505_104111.jpg20150505_103450.jpg

Totally appropriate for me. I even wouldn't have to change the name of the place

So I think you should make an offer on the place! ;)

I should point out that what is for sale, I think, is not only the downstairs albergue, but also her private residence upstairs. I have been in both and they are really nice. The beds in the albergue are constructed so that the ones not in use are rigged up against the wall. Hard to explain. I can’t remember how many beds there are, but I am pretty sure that there are at least six. I remember that Reb and I thought the installation had a very efficient use of space with cabinetry and the like.

€83,-
And just to say, for anyone who is thinking about doing a bit of this route, or all of it, there is now an albergue in Montes de Valdueza, in the Monastery of San Pedro. It’s about 20 km from Ponferrada, and from there to Peñalba is about 6-7 km. It is a really pretty incredible little village. And the Mozarabic church there is beautiful.

The other obvious way people walking the Francés could get a part of this route, but without getting to visit Peñalba, would be to take the Puentes de Malpaso trail from Riego de Ambrós either to Molinaseca or Ponferrada. I know I’ve said this a million times, but it is a way to avoid a lot of the rocky descent while at the same time going through some beautiful forested parts with 2 medieval bridges. It is a popular local trail and easy to find info and tracks.

So, Laurie, do you think the route has improved at this point since Reb posted this?
It's great there's an albergue in Montes de Valdueza - but how does that affect the day to Las Médulas. Without digging up mumy map, I'm not clear of the geography...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And just to say, for anyone who is thinking about doing a bit of this route, or all of it, there is now an albergue in Montes de Valdueza, in the Monastery of San Pedro. It’s about 20 km from Ponferrada, and from there to Peñalba is about 6-7 km. It is a really pretty incredible little village. And the Mozarabic church there is beautiful.

The other obvious way people walking the Francés could get a part of this route, but without getting to visit Peñalba, would be to take the Puentes de Malpaso trail from Riego de Ambrós either to Molinaseca or Ponferrada. I know I’ve said this a million times, but it is a way to avoid a lot of the rocky descent while at the same time going through some beautiful forested parts with 2 medieval bridges. It is a popular local trail and easy to find info and tracks.
Hi Laurie- unfortunately I have not learned how to use gps tracks &/or devices. I'm trying to understand but perhaps I'm a bit dense. Anyway, do you have resources that could help me (& others) locate this trail? Thank you so much for your contributions to this forum. You are a true explorer !

So, Laurie, do you think the route has improved at this point since Reb posted this?

It's great there's an albergue in Montes de Valdueza - but how does that affect the day to Las Médulas. Without digging up mumy map, I'm not clear of the geography...
Ok, just to be clear, VN and I are talking about Peñalba to Médulas, not the Puentes de Malpaso trail between Riego de Ambrós and Molinaseca.

I know that Rebekah had an extremely difficult day walking that route, and I don’t doubt that, but here is why I am forging ahead.

I will be walking from the Monastery to Las Médulas, which cuts 6 or 7 kms off the day Reb walked from Peñalba to Las Médulas. Mostly all descent, but still it’s a chunk of distance.

The people in the monastery tell me it’s a well marked and frequently traveled trail.

Also, I wrote to the guy whose tracks I’ve got (you can see our conversation on the track posting) and he told me he didn’t remember any particular difficulty, that most of the trail is a wide track, and the ascents are not steep. This is confirmed by my observation that there are bicycle GPS tracks for this route.

So, I think that either the trail has changed or for some reason it was a particularly bad day for Reb. I’m not saying I’m going to waltz through this, and I know it could be a big challenge, but in terms of distance and elevation it is not out of the range of what was comfortable for me last year.

Hi Laurie- unfortunately I have not learned how to use gps tracks &/or devices. I'm trying to understand but perhaps I'm a bit dense. Anyway, do you have resources that could help me (& others) locate this trail? Thank you so much for your contributions to this forum. You are a true explorer !
If you google Puentes de Malpaso you’ll find a lot of resources from the tourist offices, hiking groups, newspapers etc. See this one for instance, with pictures. (Google Chrome will translate it for you). In terms of finding the trail and walking it, though, I would hesitate to recommend that you do it without knowing. how to follow a GPS track on your phone. Even though the article linked to above says “no tiene pérdida.” (it’s impossible to get lost). It is not remote by any means but it does take you off camino through forests.

€60,-
Please be aware that Laurie is a phenomenal walker, and I'm maybe just a little above average.
Also, the 7 km. from Penalba to Montes de Valdueza is the most challenging part of the (very long) day. Now that there's a place to stay in Montes de Valdueza, I am sure Laurie will have a spectacular day's walking and a safe arrival in Las Medullas.

the 7 km. from Penalba to Montes de Valdueza is the most challenging part of the (very long) day.
Thanks so much, Reb, That’s the missing piece I was looking for! So, if I cut off the Peñalba to Montes part, the rest will be about 22 km and according to the guy whose tracks I’ve got, the way from Montes is on wide path with no steep ascent. I have wanted to do this for so long, and now your comment makes it seem do-able. Now if my darn hamstring/glute will just cooperate. I’ve been pain-free for almost two years, and walked two caminos since the injury, but just recently it started giving me issues and I am not a happy camper. End of tangent.

And I just found tracks for a circle walk from Montes to Peñalba.

I’m guessing that the one we walked was the “bottom” half of the circle (with the much steeper profile). Looks like the thing to do is to fo that way up and then take the descent from Peñalba on the other half of the circle, with its much less pronounced elevation profile.

In 2015 I followed a suggestion from Mspath to contact Gorge from Hacienda el Val to arrange for him to drive me around this area. It was a great experience:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.