• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mournful Virgin Marys in Churches on the Camino

debonthecamino

Hello All,

Does anyone know the significance of the mournful Virgin Marys that I often saw in the churches along the Camino? They were dressed in black and looking very sad and weepy. I'm just guessing that it represents the Virgin Mary weeping for the death of Christ, but I am not sure.

If you've read my blog, you know that they kind of freaked me out at times while I was on the road last year. I haven't been able to find any links on the web of photos to use as an example.

I'm not talking about the Black Madonna.

Anyone know the significance? Do they have an official name?

Deb
http://www.onthecamino.squarespace.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone know the significance of the mournful Virgin Marys that I often saw in the churches along the Camino? They were dressed in black and looking very sad and weepy.

"It represents the Virgin Mary weeping for the death of Christ." In Hispanic culture (the Spanish speaking world) she's known as "Nuestra Señora la Virgen de los Dolores," or "La Dolorosa."

Best, xm 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
She's also known as "Nuestra Señora de las Angustias." Yes, those statues can be kinda scary...exactly the effect wanted, to illustrate the agony Mary felt during the passion/cruxifiction of JHS. Many times they're on floats taken out during Holy Week processions. They're also considered works of art. Best, xm 8)

The Stations of the Cross

I receive Our Lady's Electronic Newsletter from Fatima.
They are in a right spit over changes that are being made to the content of the ceremony of the Stations of the Cross.
If anyone is interested in reading the newsletter I'll be happy to mail it to you. (I don't think this Forum is the place to Post it)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dolores...that's a friend's name, we call her Lola, sometimes Lolita (not like the Navokob one!) ! :lol: Best, xm

Brown Madonna Op Hodenpijl

debonthecamino said:
Does anyone know the significance of the mournful Virgin Marys that I often saw in the churches along the Camino? They were dressed in black and looking very sad and weepy.
(...) I'm not talking about the Black Madonna. Anyone know the significance?
Hi Deborah,
Perhaps there is a relation with the Black Madonna? I've understood that in the early years many (all?) Madonna's were black to symbolize Their connection with Mother Earth, as in fact also Saint James does as a chtonian power and counterpart of Our Heavenly Father.
Today we saw again the Brown Madonna in the beautiful former Jacobus' church Op Hodenpijl, that's a family name in the circles around Charlemagne. This beautifully renovated church just outside the village of Schipluiden has a remarkable history of a few centuries in the low, flat and wet South-Holland dairy country between The Hague and Rotterdam.
We take all our friends there and they're always surprised to find such a gem, but we haven't been able yet to ask where the statue came from and why it is brown. She has a most impressive face!
Geert
See http://www.ophodenpijl.nl/locatie
http://www.ophodenpijl.nl/locatie/4/de_kerk
http://www.ophodenpijl.nl/locatie/335/historie

Attachments

• Schipluiden JdM verkleind.jpg
    Schipluiden JdM verkleind.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,413
  • Bruine Madonna foto EJdJ  P1070473.JPG
    Bruine Madonna foto EJdJ P1070473.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,403
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Who is the female Saint who is offering her breasts on a platter? I saw a statue of her in the Gaudi museum in Astorga, and a post card in the church in Villafranca del Bierzo. The name was on the post card, but I failed to write it down.

Saint Agatha is the patron saint for breast cancer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
PILGRIMSPLAZA said:
I've understood that in the early years many (all?) Madonna's were black to symbolize Their connection with Mother Earth, as in fact also Saint James does as a chtonian power and counterpart of Our Heavenly Father.

PILGRIMSPLAZA/Geert

You are stretching my vocabulary with every posting. I had to look up 'chtonian' - which spellchecker insists on underlining, although it is in the Chambers Dictionary.

I am assuming, Geert, from your name, that English is not your first language. Am I being very nosy if I ask about your academic background? You seem to know an awful lot about an awful lot!

About.com claims that there are almost five hundred so-called "Black" Madonnas scattered over Europe, the highest concentrations appearing in France and Italy. Many are believed to have miraculous powers of healing and protection. While many of these dark-skinned Virgins are explained away as the result of candle soot or age, most appear to be deliberately created with black skin. Some bear reference to the Song of Songs from the Old Testament:

"I am black, but beautiful, daughters of Jerusalem. Like the black tents of Cedar, like the pavilions of Solomon."

The Black Madonnas are associated with the earth, with darkness, mystery, and most importantly, miracles. Many have theorized that these images and statues hearken back to the worship of the ancient Goddesses Isis and Demeter; indeed, some of the statues themselves are believed to be pre-Christian. Certainly, the image of the divine mother and child-god are older than Christianity, and the tendency of the Catholic Church to borrow, consciously or subconsciously, the iconography of widespread Pagan cults at the time of it's founding is well known.

Tradition says that the black patron saint of the Gypsies, Sainte Sarah, was the Egyptian servant of Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of James.

chtonian aspects of the pilgrimage to Fisterra

Hi Bridget,

Thank you for your nice and personal reaction! I never use spellcheckers because they drive me crazy and they have no authority anymore. In our country those academics have lost their credibility by constant changing stupid rules, so now quality publishers use their own spelling dictionaries.

Of course chtonian is easier understood adding auto- or allo-, about which groups there is a lot of discussion in our country too by people who've lost their way. Chtonian aspects of The Way of Saint James will be discussed on posts like Georgiana's Gems - 1 - bees and King's companions -1- George Edmund Street on pilgrim-books/topic4442.html and pilgrim-books/topic4519.html.

I'm glad you asked me that question for I've got a similar one for you too. I have no academic background but see myself as a simple Friesian countryboy who can milk cows (at agricultural highschool I dreamed about it as a profession) and a woodsman with some experience in making walking routes wich became my job. As a professional pilgrim I did read a lot of pilgrim's reports and masterworks like The Way of Saint James by the brilliant Ms Georgiana Goddard King and many other connected publications of all denominations. But understanding comes very slowly!

With the Royal Dutch Touringclub I made about 50 walking routes (6-12-18 km's) per year from 1970 to 1974 when I eventually was asked to develop an old long-distance-walk into our national Pelgrimspad. So this was not borne as a true pilgrim's path but it now surely functiones like one. We planted pilgrim's books in 8 walker friendly restaurants and in one of them a lady wrote: I'll keep the memory of this path in my heart forever! Now what greater compliment could one get?
For developing the spiritual aspects of walking in general the European Rambler's Association (ERA/EWV) and the publisher of the topo-guide Stichting Wandelplatform LAW gave me their 22nd European Award for Walkers which stimulated me to make more new pilgrim's paths like our Kustpelgrimspad along the Northsea coast and pelgrimspad Overijssel in our eastern rural country on http://www.pelgrimspaden.nl.

So I do understand little about a lot of things and least about the present pilgrimage to Fisterra. See The Santiago Enigma on miscellaneous-about-santiago/topic3794.html. I do hope you'll join us to find some very simple answers on seven very simple questions.

Now my question to you: do you still need cycle routes to Santiago and are you of Danish origin? In Haarlem near Amsterdam starts a quiet cycle route to SdC with excellent complete guidebooks (in Dutch). The other day I saw on this forum a question from a Danish pilgrim and I wondered if that is you. Please let me know by PM for I have some extra information.

Bon Chemin & Buen Camino!
Geert

Attachments

• KLEINB~1.JPG
    KLEINB~1.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,012
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back