• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Move away from the toxic caterpillars!

D

Deleted member 73526

In spring you're likely to encounter Pine Processional Caterpillars. You might see their nests, which look like cotton candy / candy floss or you might see them on the move in a conga-line procession. (This photo is from a friend of mine who is walking in the south of Spain today).

You can find lots of information online about the Pine Processional Caterpillar:

If you come across these things, move away. Their hairs can cause severe irritation and potentially serious reactions.
- Don't handle them, even with gloves.
- Don't step on them. You might transport hairs on your shoes which could touch someone's skin later.
- Don't hang around near them. When they moult, the hairs can float in the air.

The advice that I have found in case you develop a rash is as follows. (If anyone has better advice, please contribute)..
- Remove contaminated clothing. Wrap it in a plastic bag.
- Use sticky tape to pick up hairs that may be on your skin
- Wash the affected area with water
- Seek medical attention
d1976ea5-5f42-4d59-80b7-1868c158550a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good advice!

They're a real problem in SW France too. My friend's dog lost half of his tongue after finding some... he was lucky to survive. Another friend is a gardener and he accidentally disturbed a nest and was covered in stings and was hospitalised for 2 days.

They are very unpleasant but lots of people are attracted to look at them (and take photos) because of the long processions... as you say, their hairs are a major issue... give them a very wide berth.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Every year in this season there is an invasion of them in my town. Council keeps on issuing disinfestation orders for private lands, but no one cares. :(

Does anybody know how long their 'season' last? Are they gonna be around at the beginning of May?

Ran into lines and lines of them crossing roads on the Camino Aragones at the end of April last year! Fascinating processions with endless numbers of caterpillars (easily in the thousands). This was about 15 miles from Pamplona, so I’d imagine you could run into them on the CF, too.60781C97-3DA2-4819-9FE0-2398903EC4B5.png9686CC1B-8F67-488C-9CCC-C211D850C8CA.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anybody know how long their 'season' last? Are they gonna be around at the beginning of May?
The season is "Late winter to early spring," but that will vary from year to year and region to region. I guess you're less likely to see them in May, but you might come across a nest or something. Forewarned is forearmed.

I’d imagine you could run into them on the CF, too.
For sure. There are even some colonies of these caterpillars in London. Warmer temperatures have allowed them to migrate northward.

I am pretty sure they will around at the beginning of May. When I first encountered these creatures here in southeast Germany I knew right away what they were BECAUSE I had read all the warnings about them in this or some other pilgrim forums!!
DeEKxPVXcAAqk84.jpg:large.jpeg

Hmmm, we'll see what happens :) Thanks for the interesting picture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am pretty sure they will around at the beginning of May. When I first encountered these creatures here in southeast Germany I knew right away what they were BECAUSE I had read all the warnings about them in this or some other pilgrim forums!!
In Germany there are pine trees, but we don't have the climate for those caterpillars (except close to the southwest border of Germany - Pfalz/Elsass/Freiburg, check here).

But: Look out for oaks ;). We've got no Pine Processional Caterpillar, but sadly the
Oak Processionary Moth.

Problems and treatment as well seem to be similar. In Germany: Be careful at the beginning of May whereas the Pine Processiona Caterpillar starts in mid-April due to the higher temperature at that time in Spain (or Italy and Portugal).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Vast numbers of caterpillars on the Camino Mozarabe near Cordoba last month. Literally millions - sometimes in huge mats and knots. I do not think they were processionary caterpillars but a different species. Since many hairy caterpillars are irritants I didn't try prodding them to find out!
IMG_20190211_114400.jpg IMG_20190211_114111.jpg

In Germany there are pine trees, but we don't have the climate for those caterpillars (except close to the southwest border of Germany - Pfalz/Elsass/Freiburg, check here).

But: Look out for oaks ;). We've got no Pine Processional Caterpillar, but sadly the
Oak Processionary Moth.

Problems and treatment as well seem to be similar. In Germany: Be careful at the beginning of May whereas the Pine Processiona Caterpillar starts in mid-April due to the higher temperature at that time in Spain (or Italy and Portugal).
Correct, Sugargypsy. Thank you for the corrections! The spelling mistake (I did mean southwest) and the fact. I really was not reading carefully enough and was speaking of the different yucky caterpillar, the oak one. Anyway, you need to stay away from them as well!

Hi @Gabe_Way, I see that you are starting this May from SJPP. I've not seen them on the Camino Frances and don't know whether people encounter them there, be it the dangerous oak processionary caterpillars or or the equally dangerous pine processionary caterpillars. The forest around SJPP is beech trees, btw. Famously so actually.

We've crossed path with them on the voie de Tours (Paris to SJPP), I think end of March, and there is currently a post on the forum of someone who is walking there, has been warned of them and encountered them, so that's around the same time in the same area.

But it all depends on region and weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Gabe_Way, I see that you are starting this May from SJPP. I've not seen them on the Camino Frances and don't know whether people encounter them there, be it the dangerous oak processionary caterpillars or or the equally dangerous pine processionary caterpillars. The forest around SJPP is beech trees, btw. Famously so actually.

We've crossed path with them on the voie de Tours (Paris to SJPP), I think end of March, and there is currently a post on the forum of someone who is walking there, has been warned of them and encountered them, so that's around the same time in the same area.

But it all depends on region and weather.
Ok, thanks. So, looks like May it'd be a better month in terms of processionary caterpillars. And beech trees shouldn't be a problem. The potentially harmful ones are the Pine's I guess.

The potentially harmful ones are the Pine's I guess.
Pine processionary caterpillars seem to create particularly bad reactions. But as people have pointed out, there are other caterpillars that can cause skin irritations.

Ah we met some pine processionary ones - outside Melide, I think, a few days ago.... didn’t know what they were at the time... fascinating the way they move BUT thankfully our instinct was to stay away!

Thanks for posting! We have similar looking catepillars in SC but they are friendly and harmless. I've been playing with these innocent creatures since I was a kid so I would've been in trouble had I not seen this post.

These look like the brown tail moth caterpillars here in the U.S. It's not a matter of a season. They molt, the hairs drift and those hairs remain problematic in leaf matter, lawns, forested areas for years! Likely the pharmacies there have their best practice approach stocked and ready. Here in Maine, Sarna lotion is one approach as well as Tecnu. Tecnu is a skin cleanser used for poison ivy and oak. It's best to keep covered up. My husband keeps his lawn mowing/garden clothes, which cover him from head to toe, in a bag in the garage. Putting items in the washing machine doesn't seem to remove the hairs, and I don't want to introduce them to other clothing items. The brown tails hit oak and apple trees here, but stay away from the pines. The rash and itching can be relentless and last for months, and those dealing
with respiratory issues can really suffer.

In spring you're likely to encounter Pine Processional Caterpillars. You might see their nests, which look like cotton candy / candy floss or you might see them on the move in a conga-line procession. (This photo is from a friend of mine who is walking in the south of Spain today).

You can find lots of information online about the Pine Processional Caterpillar:

If you come across these things, move away. Their hairs can cause severe irritation and potentially serious reactions.
- Don't step on them. You might transport hairs on your shoes which could touch someone's skin later.

The advice that I have found in case you develop a rash is as follows. (If anyone has better advice, please contribute)..
- Seek medical attention
View attachment 53894

View attachment 53894
First time I saw these was in March 2013. I was absolutely fascinated by them but thankfully did not touch them. The lines crossing the path on the way out of Logrono were so many, I sat down on a bench to watch and then the cyclists came along. Lines were being devastated and I thought that was awful. Some time later when I found out how dangerous they were, I lost all sympathy for them 😂😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting. Thanks!

They look like harmless webworms. I never would have guessed.

Just about a kilometer or so from Santa Catalina de Somoza I noticed a couple of these in February. I recall seeing a few last year in a similar spot outside of SCdS. Creepy looking and gave me the willies. Pictures don't do any justice to the creepiness. :eek:

I'm very happy to know what they are now and will keep a bit more distance.

In case your are walking in Germany and you see these warning signes head them. They are called Eichenprozessionspinner. Usually soon they are spotted the Forrester get right in action. In Spain and Italy you find their cousins on pines same defense mechanism. They are night active and return in morning to their nest. They are supposed to get to the pupa state middle of April and start flying as butterflies in May. But I guess that depends on the warmth.54428

I read as recommendation when in contact. Shower take affected clothes of the fine hair can act on your skin, rash, breathing problems, worst anaphylactic shock. So have your antisitamine ready. Here we say stay on the ways don’t walk under the nest and protective clothes.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

- Seek medical attention
View attachment 53894

View attachment 53894
Thankyou so much for posting about this. On Mar 18 I came across some of the caterpillars alittle before Sahaghun, and two days later the welts started. I assumed I was having an allergic reaction to bedbugs but now I am certain that the welts were caused by the caterpillars (which I never touched directly) after researching images. I am in Santiago now and still using steroid cream for the itching though the swelling is down. I know several people with these symptoms but none were aware of the caterpillar toxins as the source.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tent caterpillars in the US look the same, and the spines are also trouble. There are a fair amount of poisonous “pillars” in the world.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back