• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Moving to Santiago

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Update 22nd May 2017:

Ok, here the contact info, which you also find here http://egeria.house/contact/ (my mobile number will change as soon as I get a Spanish SIM and I will then update again). On the website is also a map ;-)

From 26th May 2017

S.Yates
Travesía do Carme de Abaixo, 4
15705 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña
Spain/Spanien/España

00420 732518538 (only/nur/solo WhatsApp/SMS !!!)

sy {a} sybilleyates.com

On the evening of 24th May I (plus my max. 3 pieces of luggage each max. 23kg) will board the plane to Santiago where I (hopefully including the luggage!) will arrive the morning of 25th May to live there. This is a major step in my own personal Camino history - as you can well imagine ;-) Prayers and good wishes are appreciated!

I am renting a house in Santiago which will be open to pilgrims, volunteers that are traveling through and friends in general. And yes, I will have two guest bedrooms for people that need a place to stay. However, this will not be a classical albergue - just the home of a Camino Fossil (aka veteran pilgrim) that is open to everybody that needs it (space permitting).

Plans are really very fluid at the moment and will evolve over time (watch this space!). I will post contact details etc when I have landed but if you want more info earlier or need help in SdC from the 25th May 2017 onward - just send me a forum PM.

The basic idea is to just provide another 'helping hand' to pilgrims in Santiago whilst enjoying living there and no, no commercial interests!

Buen Camino and see you soon, SY

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations, Bon voyage, and all other appropriate greetings @SYates. May I be the first to wish you well in your plans and to say how you really outclass all of us with your carpe diem approach to life. Many of us think of doing something akin to what you are bravely embarking on, for the majority, thinking about is as far as the project gets. Wonderful news.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the evening of 24th May I (plus my max. 3 pieces of luggage each max. 23kg) will board the plane to Santiago where I (hopefully including the luggage!) will arrive the morning of 25th May to live there. This is a major step in my own personal Camino history - as you can well imagine ;-) Prayers and good wishes are appreciated!

I am renting a house in Santiago which will be open to pilgrims, volunteers that are traveling through and friends in general. And yes, I will have two guest bedrooms for people that need a place to stay. However, this will not be a classical albergue - just the home of a Camino Fossil (aka veteran pilgrim) that is open to everybody that needs it (space permitting).

Plans are really very fluid at the moment and will evolve over time (watch this space!). I will post contact details etc when I have landed but if you want more info earlier or need help in SdC from the 25th May 2017 onward - just send me a forum PM.

The basic idea is to just provide another 'helping hand' to pilgrims in Santiago whilst enjoying living there and no, no commercial interests!

Best wishes on this new chapter of your life!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I wish you well in your move and making a new home!

How cool ill try to look you up in July as well. Great luck to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations girl .... on following your dream! Santiago has amazing energy and you will be very happy there .... and of course, you will have many visitors from your Camino family. Safe trip, ... happy landing, and I wish you all the best with your courageous venture. Well done you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations and thanks for the heads up. We [Sailor and wife] will drop by to say hello after we finish our camino sometime in October 2017. Que Dios la bendiga.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope you'll enjoy Santiago - and find the peace to stay at home there occasionally, though I suspect we'll find you walking some Camino or other again, very soon...

Loved walking with you that day, and both hope and expect we'll have another day together some time!

Ha
I was wondering why you had fallen so silent, SYates! Hatching this marvelous plan, it seems. Wishing you the very best in this next step, and I hope to meet you in Santiago in July! Buen camino, Laurie
haha. I thought that too! All is now clear. Fantastic and exciting news.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

What an amazing development for you in what I feel is one of the most amazing places ! May your journey be enjoyable, rich and fulfilling in every respect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I, too, plan to arrive in Santiago on May 24. I fly back home on the 26th, so if you would like an extra pair of hands - cleaning, sorting, moving stuff, whatever, then I'm ready and available on the 25th.

Thank you very much for your kind offer! I am sure the house will be clean but a second pair of hands is always appreciated ;-) I PM you my contact details. Buen Camino, SY

Congratulations on making such an exciting life move. I found myself taking pictures of for sale signs as I walked dreaming of doing the same. My body would be hurting and I'd dream of opening one with tubs to allow for pilgrims to soak those aching bodies. I send you lots of love and best wishes :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Sybil what wonderful news. Now I can finally have the pleasure to meet you, face to face. The first coffee will be on me as I hope to be in Santiago around 5/6/8 June. Saying a small prayer that this will be a truly successful adventure for you and whoever travels with you. Cheers & beers Mike :);):D

€46,-

Wow!!! Wonderful and I am so happy for you. I'll be finishing the Camino Ingles around that time and if I can help, let me know. Will also be in Santiago June 1, hopefully after Muxia/Finisterre. Would like to share a drink to celebrate your move. Buen camino every day.

Wow I envoy you the best in your endevour.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
how wonderful! to think of you nestled in the Camino on a permanent basis
how lucky that more people will have the opportunity to enjoy your experience and knowledge
thank you for sharing more of you with more of us!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I am trying to let you know how happy I am to see your post. But having some problems so hope this gets to ya. I've been concerned since I always enjoy reading what you have to impart. Now I know the reason for your absence from the Forum and man O man what a reason! You are undertaking an enormous leap and that makes life absolutely exciting and memory making. Best of all to you, my dear.
MM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations Sylvia and all good wishes for your new venture. Hope to meet up with you one of these days in Santiago. Prayers and Ultreya....

Coming late to this fabulous thread, Sybille, full of our heartfelt and happy well-wishes!
Adding mine to them--though there are no words, really, to express the good wishes and full-hearted congratulations on your courageous step forward.
@domigee took the words out of my mouth, so I'll just say it again: Buen camino de la vida!--
May all your good deeds bear wonderful fruit, and your usual wishes for everyone else come true for you!

Coming late to this fabulous thread, Sybille, full of our heartfelt and happy well-wishes!
Adding mine to them--though there are no words, really, to express the good wishes and full-hearted congratulations on your courageous step forward.
@domigee took the words out of my mouth, so I'll just say it again: Buen camino de la vida!--
May all your good deeds bear wonderful fruit, and your usual wishes for everyone else come true for you!
I totaly agree with @Viranani, she says it just perfect! This is joyful news! Wish you all the best. :) Sending my prayers and blessings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

What an amazing thing you are doing. I wish for you the peace of all humanity. May you feel that energy coursing through you.

€46,-
Sybil,

I am so happy for you and wish you all the best!

Mike

Santiago should be a wonderful city to settle in. I just hope you will not be located in one of the many modern piso all around the old centre.
If you are renting a room or rooms out for money please acquaint yourself with the very new regulations issued by the Xunta. They started on the 10th May. Would not want your stay in Galicia to turn into a nightmare.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all the good wishes everybody! I don't have the time to answer each of them in detail, but I read and liked them all ;-) So please don't be offended if I answer only a few directly. Life at the moment is a bit busy!

From Monday onward I will only have limited access to the internet, so don't send out a missing person notice! Once in Santiago, I will be, hopefully, pretty regular online again.

Again, if you plan to be in Santiago from the 25 May onward and would like to meet/come to my place, send me a PM here on the forum and I send you my contact details.

Buen Camino, SY

€149,-
Santiago should be a wonderful city to settle in. I just hope you will not be located in one of the many modern piso all around the old centre.
If you are renting a room or rooms out for money please acquaint yourself with the very new regulations issued by the Xunta. They started on the 10th May. Would not want your stay in Galicia to turn into a nightmare.

No, my place is a house close to the Cathedral, renovated in a modern way, but essentially an old house with atmosphere.
I am not planning to "rent" any rooms out, nor to run an albergue in the classical sense. The two guest bedrooms are for visiting friends, pilgrims, volunteers etc. if some of those that stay in the house decide to leave a donativo to help to keep the place running - that is great.

BC SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What lovely news! All the very best to you Sybil in this exciting move. Would love to meet up with you one day. Enjoy your new home, and your new life!

May your roof never leak,
may your windows never rattle
and may you find peace at the end of each day
behind your own front door.

No, my place is a house close to the Cathedral, renovated in a modern way, but essentially an old house with atmosphere.
I am not planning to "rent" any rooms out, nor to run an albergue in the classical sense. The two guest bedrooms are for visiting friends, pilgrims, volunteers etc. if some of those that stay in the house decide to leave a donativo to help to keep the place running - that is great.

BC SY

Well good luck with that but you are still reviving money. That mean you are getting money for the rent there is also a tax issue too. But hey Spain is full of non tax paying corrupt people, well it seems the politicians can get a way with it but the normal tax paying citizen cannot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well good luck with that but you are still reviving money. That mean you are getting money for the rent there is also a tax issue too. But hey Spain is full of non tax paying corrupt people, well it seems the politicians can get a way with it but the normal tax paying citizen cannot.

Rest assured I pay my tax where I live now and will pay tax where I will live in future! Please don't worry about this, SY

Wow.....!!! SYates, many congratulations! You are one lucky gal!! Well done!

I hope to be in Santiago 10 - 12 days from tomorrow.... may pop in for a "hello"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

OH HOW WONDERFUL, AND PERHAPS WE CAN CONNECT WHEN I ARRIVE. I START MY JOURNEY ON 16 AUGUST AND THEN THE TREK. HOW DOES ONE SEND A PM TO YOU?? SORRY TO BE A LUDDITE :)

... HOW DOES ONE SEND A PM TO YOU?? SORRY TO BE A LUDDITE :)

Just click on my name under my picture and in the pop-up menu click 'start a conversation and type away ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I did what you said, but still unsure. Hope it worked. Ciao, JMB

It worked @JMB but I am on limited internet at the moment, so it might take a while until I get back to you and others that have send me a PM, sorry about that! BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Happy for you SY, so happy.

Please do so! I send you the address in a moment via PM ;-) SY

Hi Sybille

Thanks for contact details.... will contact when in Santiago... only problem is my flight s 27/5 morning :(

Best wishes

Ginette x

Not a problem, I am landing on the 25th May in the morning - I guess we find a moment or so for a chat ;-) BC SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just 'caught' internet and updated my original post will contact details! Link to my blog also in my forum signature ;-) See you soon in Santiago and Buen Camino, SY

Just read your entry in your blog Sybil. You probably have help in Santiago but just in case, last September I went through the whole registration process which lies ahead of you - NIE, health insurance, opening a bank account etc - so if I can be of any support let me know. It was in Navarra and Aragón but you never know.
Have a safe trip and wish you a soft landing.
Cheers
Lee

€60,-
Just 'caught' internet and updated my original post will contact details! Link to my blog also in my forum signature ;-) See you soon in Santiago and Buen Camino, SY
Ahhhh, it's in the back street where my favorite Bar Caamano has a few tables. I wish to be able to buy you a copa or two of vino right now, Sybill!
Well, tomorrow :D

Really, enjoy!

Ok, I have landed and, more importantly, all my luggage as well ;-) Already unpacked and stored away everything (it helps if you travel light ;-) and now enjoying lunch at Casa Manolo.

@KinkyOne I have already been there for a quick breakfast - the vino might come later ;-)

Also had already the first pilgrim dropping in, came with a tarta de Santiago in hand and accepted only a glass of cold water in return - sigh. But we had a nice long chat :D

BC SY

€83,-
Just read your entry in your blog Sybil. You probably have help in Santiago but just in case, last September I went through the whole registration process which lies ahead of you - NIE, health insurance, opening a bank account etc - so if I can be of any support let me know. It was in Navarra and Aragón but you never know.
Have a safe trip and wish you a soft landing.
Cheers
Lee

Thanks for your offer, Lee! I plan to visit the Foreign Police on Monday as getting an NIE is the first step for pretty much everything. Will give you a shout if I run into a catch-22 but I also have friends here that went through the same process. BC SY

@SYates I hope that you are as lucky as I was with the authorities in Pamplona. And you are right, without a NIE you can not open a bank account nor in most cases rent a house.

Requirements for opening and maintaining a bank account in Spain are way different from here in The Netherlands, at least that was my experience with Santander. To avoid all the fees suggest opening an online account.

Last edited:

€83,-
Update 22nd May 2017:

Ok, here the contact info, which you also find here http://egeria.house/contact/ (my mobile number will change as soon as I get a Spanish SIM and I will then update again). On the website is also a map ;-)

From 26th May 2017

S.Yates
Travesía do Carme de Abaixo, 4
15705 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña
Spain/Spanien/España

00420 732518538 (only/nur/solo WhatsApp/SMS !!!)

sy {a} sybilleyates.com

It certainly is a special city and admire your reasoning of choice....all the best from Norway

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.