• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Moving to Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
My previous post on this subject was for some reason found untoreable by the moderators. So I ask again
What does it take to move to Spain from another country (within the EU) and what are the conseqenses taxwiswe & other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dr Google.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This looks like an excellent source because it addresses the situation in question: A Norwegian pensioner with Norwegian sickness insurance who wishes to live in Spain.

I would hesitate to give advice. I know that a pensioner from an EEA country like Norway who can support himself financially and who is insured against sickness has no problems to move and live in an EU country like Spain because these 3 fundamental conditions are fulfilled: status as EU/EEA pensioner; self-sufficient financially; member of a sickness insurance system.

No long-term visa or residence permit are required, just registration of residence with the authorities and you will get a card that looks like a residence permit but isn't. But that's were it ends already. How this business of sickness insurance systems is handled when two EEA/EU countries are involved may already depend on which two countries exactly. In this whole area, there are a lot less EU wide rules than people usually think.

Last edited:
In this whole area, there are a lot less EU wide rules than people usually think.
I should have written: fewer EU wide rules.

What I can add: the same applies to double taxation and similar, mainly a question of agreements between the two EU/EEA countries involved.

Also: there are some basic differences between moving within the EU/EEA as someone who is working or looking for work and someone who is retired. Also, things that younger people do not think of and older people do not like to think of: What happens if you need care - who pays, what can you expect if anything? And succession laws, for example concerning property - they are often country-specific.

But nothing that is insurmountable, just good to know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I lived in Spain for ten years, the process is easy coming from a EU country, just proof that you can sustain financially and medical private insurance. I would suggest to look for a tax adviser if you are planning to be between two countries. You will have to pay tax in Spain if you spend more than 183 days a year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Kathar1na and @SabineP covered pretty much all the bases (chapeau you two!).

I can talk from experience that the process for a EU citizen is quite straight forward and quick. Back in 2016 I registered with the Foreign police in Pamplona within a few hours. Proof of sufficient funds and health insurance from your home country is all you need. You are then sent to a bank close by to pay a small fee. You are then given a EU member residence card.

During my second sojourn in Spain in 2020 was a completely different story as I had purchased an albergue and was working. That process is more lengthy but was simplified as I already had a residency card.

Alex, I've found a Facebook Group most useful and informative on this subject. Its called 'Spain Immigration and Residency Questions - SpainGuru.es'. Also, you might want to look at the Group 'American Expats in Spain'. Good luck with your research!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My previous post on this subject was for some reason found untoreable by the moderators. So I ask again
What does it take to move to Spain from another country (within the EU) and what are the conseqenses taxwiswe & other?
A very long time ago (nearly 18 years) my Danish wife and I bit the bullet and moved lock, stock and barrel from Scotland to Andalucia. It is without doubt the best decision that we have ever made. You need to have a lot of ducks in a row before you actually do it. Coming from an EU country would not be a problem, but your previous post said that you were wanting to get out of Norway which is not an EU country. In that case you would need to meet several stringent conditions. If you still want to go ahead then some basic advice would be 1) choose the area that you want to live in (remember that Spain is a huge country with a lot of very different eco-systems) and (unless you find the ideal place right off) consider renting for 6 to 12 months, and 2) unless your Spanish is very good consider getting a Gestor to help you with your path through the formidable maze of Spanish bureaucracy. Tax-wise if you are a Spanish resident you will be liable for Spanish taxes. You will need to change your driving license to a Spanish one. You will need either health insurance or you will have to pay into the Spanish Social Security System. It is not easy but we found it to be very fulfilling.

A guide for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens – and their family members – coming to live, work, or study in Spain.
EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens have the right to live and work in the country without a Spanish visa.

If you’re staying longer than three months, however, you must register with the authorities and obtain a residence certificate. This requires you to prove you can support yourself financially and have Spanish healthcare insurance.

Now that that is sorted can we stay on topic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How this business of sickness insurance systems is handled when two EEA/EU countries are involved may already depend on which two countries exactly.
Found it. It is explained on helsenorge.no, and even in English. I guess Helse Norge is the Norwegian Healthcare system? See here Pensioners, certificate S1 and the European Health Insurance Card

It explains the S1 form and why you must have it. This is the standard system for EU/EEA pensioners who move to/live in another EU/EEA country.

why the OP mentioned "within the EU". Of course Norway is in Europe but not part of the EU.
"Moving within the EU" is a bit misleading.

However, Norway is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) and many EU rules about working and living in the EU, and especially moving between countries, also apply to the three countries that are part of the EEA but not part of the EU. I guess that's what @alexwalker meant.

But it's always best to get your information from official sources from the two countries concerned, in the case from Norway and from Spain.

Last edited:
So far nobody has mentioned: if you become Spanish tax resident then you pay tax on everything you own globally. A house in Norway? Check.
Also the will needs to be done in each country you have property in. For now at least.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So far nobody has mentioned: if you become Spanish tax resident then you pay tax on everything you own globally. A house in Norway?
Probably best if @alexwalker checks his situation with the authorities in question. Like many other pairs of countries, Spain and Norway have a double taxation treaty. Below is a link to the Norwegian Tax Administration and what they say about people who live in Spain but are not tax resident in Norway. And doesn't the world-wide income principle, not unusual for European countries (and not to be confused with the tax system for US citizens living abroad!), refer to global income which includes tax on income from property but not to property tax as such?

Last edited:
At the risk of adding complications, would moving to Portugal have any advantages/disadvantages on Spain?
After our camino we went to Porto and there was a Scandinavian gentleman at the next table who had done this, we had a good long chat and he seemed very happy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I want to move to spain as well!!! Help please 🙏🏽 Im from the U S A

See post #11 above.

There is a problem with US tax law though. The US can tax your income even if you income is taxed in another country too. There is an exemption so you may not have to pay it but the paperwork is such a mess that many expat Americans will actually give up their citizenship rather then put up with the paperwork even if not being double taxed. The US is one of the few countries that do this double taxing.

Last edited:
During our daily walk I was rethinking my previous post. I may have made it too scary. I've read more on citizenship than residency and this has made me see more of the dark side of the US tax implications. Tens or hundreds of thousands of US expatriates either have no problems or consider them light enough to continue to live abroad. A lot may depend on how much you earn in each country and how it is earned.

At any rate look into this in addition to the paperwork necessary to reside overseas. An American and an Australian, for example, may have to go through the same paperwork but the American's end experience may be quite different.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should have written: fewer EU wide rules.

What I can add: the same applies to double taxation and similar, mainly a question of agreements between the two EU/EEA countries involved.

Also: there are some basic differences between moving within the EU/EEA as someone who is working or looking for work and someone who is retired. Also, things that younger people do not think of and older people do not like to think of: What happens if you need care - who pays, what can you expect if anything? And succession laws, for example concerning property - they are often country-specific.

But nothing that is insurmountable, just good to know.
My pension will pay for a kuxury life in Spain/Greece. Thank you so much.

At the risk of adding complications, would moving to Portugal have any advantages/disadvantages on Spain?
After our camino we went to Porto and there was a Scandinavian gentleman at the next table who had done this, we had a good long chat and he seemed very happy.
Portugal could be OK, but i have a slight control of the Spanish language...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.