• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozárabe from Almería with a stroller?

KathySG

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portugues, Ingles
Mozarabe Next!
In Merida and starting Via de la Plata tomorrow. Looking forward to it, but small anxious at the same time. Have had some lovely company gif the past 3 days and now back out on my own. The walk so far has been superb, with hindsight I have loved every minute.

Hi Russ,
I hope you are loving your camino! Can you tell me a little about the walkway of the camino from both Almeria to Granada and Granada to Cordoba? We are planning a Camino this fall with our kids (one of those two sections), and were thinking of taking a big wheeled jogging stroller for them to hop in and out of. We have done 2 caminos previously with the kids, so we know a little what we are in for, but I'm wondering about the terrain - is it possible to get a stroller over the way? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Kathy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Russ,
I hope you are loving your camino! Can you tell me a little about the walkway of the camino from both Almeria to Granada and Granada to Cordoba? We are planning a Camino this fall with our kids (one of those two sections), and were thinking of taking a big wheeled jogging stroller for them to hop in and out of. We have done 2 caminos previously with the kids, so we know a little what we are in for, but I'm wondering about the terrain - is it possible to get a stroller over the way? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Kathy
Hi Kathy,

Good question. To be honest I probably wouldn’t do it, there are some very good bis of track, but also some really bad bits. The river beds should be ok if dry , but I would imagine pushing a buggy would be hard work.
Some of the road sections are very busy.
The olive groves are generally well marked but quite rough under foot.
The Northern end towards Merida is easier., so I would prob think about Granada onwards rather than Almeria.
I don’t want to put you off but I think a big ask. The Via de la plata is much easier interms of terrain.

Hi Russ,

Kathy

Uhm,

I can't remember every inch of those sections, but dry riverbeds and steep ascents come to my mind. (Up and down Moclín with a strolley?? Fasten your seatbelt, children...) I don't know how easy it is to push a strolley on a Camino in general, but I would say there are sections of the Mozárabe that are not apt for this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are quite a few stretches with loose gravel, you would have to "pull" the stroller behind you on those stretches, rather than pushing it (as you would do on a soft, sandy beach). I do not know if there are many exposed sections, though, that would certainly worry me! Summer can be brutal in some areas of that camino, beware, it can be very hot and dry!

I think those dry riverbeds during the first few days would be very difficult for a stroller. Also, the day after Alboloduy has some sections on the descent where I had to carefully plant my poles, step by step - due to loose rock on a steep hill.

Maybe the route from Málaga would be better.

Hi Russ,

Kathy
Very steep sections and narrow mountain trails in stages 2 and 3, stony river beds, lots of climbing in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada; my advice is to leave the stroller at home, or to find another camino more suited for pushing a stroller.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked from Antequera back to Malaga (three stages) in April this year and it is beautiful mountain walk! But there are steep sections and narrow mountain trails for all three days, part of those trails may not be wide enough for your stroller!

Maybe you could get in touch with the Camino Associations in Almeria or Malaga to see exactly which sections are suitable.

And both Almeria and Malaga are beautiful cities to visit with lots of histories. And there is a new pilgrim albergue right by the Camino in Almeria!

Maybe you could get in touch with the Camino Associations in Almeria or Malaga to see exactly which sections are suitable.
That’s a great idea to contact the Amigos in Almería directly. They are extremely helpful, and have built and operate all the public alergues between Almería and Granada.

Their web page has a lot of contact information, as well as a link to a guide that is updated monthly.

I walked Almeria to Merida this year. I'd just like to add my voice to the people telling you to consider an easier Camino. There are some long difficult stages with poor walking surfaces and steep climbs and descents.

Gerald

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for all the insight! I should clarify, our children are 4 and 7, so won't be riding all the time, but can't be expected to walk all the time either. We have also carried the kids in hiking backpacks previously on the Camino Ingles and Portugues, and are wanting to try something new. We thought a jogging stroller might be a good solution - easy to hop in/out of. We do a fair bit of mountainous hiking in the western US so are not worried by steep ascents/descents, cliffs, etc (within reason). But it sounds like perhaps the section out of Granada might be easier? It's so hard to find this info, so I greatly appreciate the help!

kathy

Hola Kathy, now to think of it, when we were walking from Almeria to Granada, mid way through, we did meet another family walking with son and daughter. The children might be couple years older than yours, and they were doing quite well and very happy about Camino Mozarabe!! If I remember right, the husband is a professor in UK for six years or so and originally from the States too, but moving back to the States soon because of UK not part of EU anymore with future not as promising as the States. They walked short stages but managed very well, and the children are full of energy and happy!

I didn't get their names, but another peregrino by the way of Adrian Harding who wrote about his trip on this forum quite extensively (and mentioned that family). You might want to look it up. Adrian said he loved Almeria from Granada, and also loves Granada to Cordoba but you do need to reserve a day or two in advance for that leg -- and he said he pay 20 euro for a hotel room quite often! We were walking during Easter, so you might not have the same issue with the availability of hotel rooms! Adrian said the guide provided by the Association as mentioned in #8 is very valuable for hotel reservation!

Hope this information helps you a bit. Buen Camino!

Hola Kathy, now to think of it, when we were walking from Almeria to Granada, mid way through, we did meet another family walking with son and daughter. The children might be couple years older than yours, and they were doing quite well and very happy about Camino Mozarabe!! If I remember right, the husband is a professor in UK for six years or so and originally from the States too, but moving back to the States soon because of UK not part of EU anymore with future not as promising as the States. They walked short stages but managed very well, and the children are full of energy and happy!

I didn't get their names, but another peregrino by the way of Adrian Harding who wrote about his trip on this forum quite extensively (and mentioned that family). You might want to look it up. Adrian said he loved Almeria from Granada, and also loves Granada to Cordoba but you do need to reserve a day or two in advance for that leg -- and he said he pay 20 euro for a hotel room quite often! We were walking during Easter, so you might not have the same issue with the availability of hotel rooms! Adrian said the guide provided by the Association as mentioned in #8 is very valuable for hotel reservation!

Hope this information helps you a bit. Buen Camino!
Thanks very much! I will look Adrian up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back