• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozárabe in 25 km stages?

scruffypuff

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe from Almeria to... Sept/Oct 2018
Note from Moderator: @scruffypuff first posted this comment in @Bad Pilgrim’s post-Mozárabe report. Since scruffy is looking for new info that will help him decide whether the Mozárabe is the right camino for him, he agreed with my suggestion to start a new thread. Hoping this year’s Mozárabe’s mob can chime in, too!

Well, what a story!!!! I heard about the Mozarbe Camino earlier this year and want to walk it, sadly I'll never do it all the way to Santaigo, at least not in one go, but I reckon I might manage the section from Almeria to Merida. I have a maybe a month available and am looking at going through Sept/Oct, has anyone any advice on what the weather conditions may be like, and the likelihood of finding places to stay easily? Bad Boy Pilgrim, you are not old, but I like the sort of distances you have chosen to do daily as I'm not in a position now to more myself. I've very little research, have no guides or maps - yet, and have done no serious walking for a while, but feel mentally that I want to do this, unfortunately physically may be a bit of a problem; I was VERY fit until very recently, but in March was diagnosed with lung cancer. It's made me less able to be active, I get out of puff. I still run, swim, cycle, walk, just not so far and not so fast. What do you lovely people think? Is it a mad idea to try and do it next month, when I have made so few preparations? Or can I get myself informed in a short space of time? (I feel I've learned a lot about the route from reading these posts alone!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, what a story!!!! I heard about the Mozarbe Camino earlier this year and want to walk it, sadly I'll never do it all the way to Santaigo, at least not in one go, but I reckon I might manage the section from Almeria to Merida. I have a maybe a month available and am looking at going through Sept/Oct, has anyone any advice on what the weather conditions may be like, and the likelihood of finding places to stay easily? Bad Boy Pilgrim, you are not old, but I like the sort of distances you have chosen to do daily as I'm not in a position now to more myself. I've very little research, have no guides or maps - yet, and have done no serious walking for a while, but feel mentally that I want to do this, unfortunately physically may be a bit of a problem; I was VERY fit until very recently, but in March was diagnosed with lung cancer. It's made me less able to be active, I get out of puff. I still run, swim, cycle, walk, just not so far and not so fast. What do you lovely people think? Is it a mad idea to try and do it next month, when I have made so few preparations? Or can I get myself informed in a short space of time? (I feel I've learned a lot about the route from reading these posts alone!)

Hi, scruffypuff, Welcome to the forum. I cannot even imagine contemplating a camino with lung cancer, but your attitude surely impresses me. And I of course wish you the very best.

Do you have any idea what would be a reasonable stage for you? Some of the typical Mozárabe stages are pretty long, but most can be cut with accommodation in the middle. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend the association's guide. It's online and updated frequently. Most recent version is July, 2018. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TPFLk73vdZwdQZStc925IkfPlTSnVvRi/view They have changed most of their maps to include little houses that show you where accommodation is located all along the stages, and just scrolling through, there are a lot more options to split stages than I would have thought.

I know that on some of the long stages with no in-between stops, some forum members who walked this April took cabs now and then to shorten stages, so that would be an option for you as well.

I can't emphasize enough how helpful the Association members are. You should contact them with any questions, and of course there is a bunch of us here who have walked it happy to help as well. I walked in springtime and have never seen such an amazing array of wildflowers, it was truly unbelievable. Sept. and Oct. are likely to be warm, but of course all bets are off now that the climate seems to have become much more extreme. Buen camino and good luck with this plan. Laurie

Hi, scruffypuff, Welcome to the forum. I cannot even imagine contemplating a camino with lung cancer, but your attitude surely impresses me. And I of course wish you the very best.

Do you have any idea what would be a reasonable stage for you? Some of the typical Mozárabe stages are pretty long, but most can be cut with accommodation in the middle. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend the association's guide. It's online and updated frequently. Most recent version is July, 2018. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TPFLk73vdZwdQZStc925IkfPlTSnVvRi/view They have changed most of their maps to include little houses that show you where accommodation is located all along the stages, and just scrolling through, there are a lot more options to split stages than I would have thought.

I know that on some of the long stages with no in-between stops, some forum members who walked this April took cabs now and then to shorten stages, so that would be an option for you as well.

I can't emphasize enough how helpful the Association members are. You should contact them with any questions, and of course there is a bunch of us here who have walked it happy to help as well. I walked in springtime and have never seen such an amazing array of wildflowers, it was truly unbelievable. Sept. and Oct. are likely to be warm, but of course all bets are off now that the climate seems to have become much more extreme. Buen camino and good luck with this plan. Laurie

Thank you Laurie, I see from the few posts that I've read that you really know your stuff, and I appreciate the advice and ideas very much. I feel confident of doing 25km (I trekked to Everest base camp, but that was a long time ago and my long distance walking had taken a back seat to triathlons, long distance cycle rides and swimming the English Channel, just last September, as part of a team. So until the beginning of this year I was still very fit and active. I now know if I pace myself, slowly, I can keep on going and am prepared for long days walking, especially as it may be cooler in the Autumn. I've left it a bit late to make a decision, keep changing my mind with each new side effect I encounter from the treatment, none of which are at all bad really, so far! But feel the need for some solitude and time to think, and a physical challenge...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Laurie, I see from the few posts that I've read that you really know your stuff, and I appreciate the advice and ideas very much. I feel confident of doing 25km (I trekked to Everest base camp, but that was a long time ago and my long distance walking had taken a back seat to triathlons, long distance cycle rides and swimming the English Channel, just last September, as part of a team. So until the beginning of this year I was still very fit and active. I now know if I pace myself, slowly, I can keep on going and am prepared for long days walking, especially as it may be cooler in the Autumn. I've left it a bit late to make a decision, keep changing my mind with each new side effect I encounter from the treatment, none of which are at all bad really, so far! But feel the need for some solitude and time to think, and a physical challenge...

Oh, and is it possible to download and English version of the association guide, sadly my Spanish is almost non-existent!!!

Though the association guide is only in Spanish, most of its value is in the maps and listing of accommodation availability. And I think I have read here that if you open the document in google Chrome, there is a translation feature, but I have never done that.

And btw, for an extremely detailed English report with tons of beautiful pictures and great info, checkout Maggie’s blog https://magwood.me/my-caminos/camino-mozararabe-from-almeria-and-camino-torres/

Scruffypuff:

I walked from Almeria to Cordoba this Spring. The Association that maintains the Camino Mozarabe between Almeria and Granada is an extremely helpful group. The members I met all spoke some level of English and are very supportive of Pilgrims. I know Veronica is on Whatsapp and is very responsive to all inquiries regarding the Mozarabe.

I enjoyed this route very much. Challenging in some sections and there is not a lot of shade with the exception of Olive trees. There is plenty of reasonably priced accomodation. The route is well marked and there were other walkers.

As Laurie stated, while the guide is in Spanish, the information is very easy to understand.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked from Granada to Merida in April 2017. If you have trouble finding accommodation visit the Civil Guardia. They were most helpful.

Note from Moderator: @scruffypuff first posted this comment in @Bad Pilgrim’s post-Mozárabe report. Since scruffy is looking for new info that will help him decide whether the Mozárabe is the right camino for him, he agreed with my suggestion to start a new thread. Hoping this year’s Mozárabe’s mob can chime in, too!

Sorry, I am late to the party again...

Glad you can make something out of my posts about the Mozárabe. This reminds me I still have a few more chapters to write…!

I just finished reading Beatrice's journal about her Mozárabe: she made stages of 40-50 kms almost every day…! So there are options here for everyone.

Now we're past both September and October, that you mentioned as the time that you would like to walk. Can you give us any updates?

See you!

/BP

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back