• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozarabe from Almeria 13th February

steve cole

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the french way today
Hi
I start my next Camino on 13th February from Almeria to Cape Finesterre should take about 45 day. I walk alone, but like the company at the end of the day. It would be good to connect with fellow pilgrims.

Feel free to drop me a line👍. My Instagram is steve1963cole. This will be my 6th Camino since September 2016 .

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are reports from me and others in the first items of this forum. Some information is outdated as the Mozarabe gets more popular and there are some new albergues. The Amigos of Almeria are very helpful, and I advice you to consult their website and to contact them before you start because they warn the albergues that you are on your way. Just one urgent advice: be prepared for cold weather. Buon camino Steve.

There are reports from me and others in the first items of this forum. Some information is outdated as the Mozarabe gets more popular and there are some new albergues. The Amigos of Almeria are very helpful, and I advice you to consult their website and to contact them before you start because they warn the albergues that you are on your way. Just one urgent advice: be prepared for cold weather. Buon camino Steve.

Thanks my friend, I have seen the website and downloaded everything via the Drive App. I will call each morning for the next albergue 👍. Cold weather? How cold , did Camino Frances in January last year and that was a nippy at times.

Your advise is most welcome

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
walking alongside of the Sierra Nevada last March had cold headwinds straight off the snow ,,,and even some flurries of snow on 2 days ,,, but a beautiful Camino,,, tho 45 days to finesterre is very fast ,,, with rest days i took 80 days ,,, tho meet others doing it in about 60 days !!! Enjoy ,,,oh and on the Mozarabe had 2 seperate weeks of no other Pilgrims at all,,,so Merida on the vldp was quite a shock ,,,good shock !!!

Beatrice walked Almeria to Finisterre in 40 days last year, so it's doable if you enjoy walking big stages.

If that's your style, you might consider starting your trip at Cabo de Gato - That will allow you to walk the full "diagonal" across Spain. If you stay at Jorge Sagara's home/albergue near Almeria airport, he would probably drive you down to the cape to start your Camino (ask him in advance). He is also happy to collect pilgrims from the airport and provide advice about the route. His contact details are in the Guia published by the association.

Beatrice's stages: Almeria - Merida in 18 days
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/stages-and-photos-almería-to-merida-in-18-days.58743/

Beatrice's stages: Merida - Santiago in 20 days
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...a-to-santiago-de-compostela-in-20-days.58744/

At that pace, there's a good chance that you'll meet people along the way. Folks like me, who cover roughly half that distance per day, can find themselves a day or two behind or ahead the next pilgrims all the way to Merida.

As Martyduc said, the winds off the Sierra Nevada, some of the highest peaks in mainland Spain, can be chilly at this time of year. The Camino itself rises from sea level to >1,300m at Alquife and just before Quentar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks my friend, I have seen the website and downloaded everything via the Drive App. I will call each morning for the next albergue 👍. Cold weather? How cold , did Camino Frances in January last year and that was a nippy at times.

Your advise is most welcome

Some days I walked against a strong and cold wind. Very cold was the albergue in Hueneja, where I slept in my merino and used two blankets, and still felt cold. I presume that in February it will still be colder than in April, so take some warm clothes, extra layers, and so on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Steve,
I walked Almería to Merida last October. Weather was excellent for the most part. The pilgrim Albergues will usually be without hospitaleros and often the number you ring is the Ayuntamiento so don’t leave your phone call til the afternoon as the phone may go unanswered! I was often alone in the Albergues. They are mostly well equipped.
The amigos in Almeria are very much on the ball but their remit only runs up to Granada. After that point the associations are not as active but the route is generally well marked-I found the stage leaving Granada poorly marked though.
After Granada the olive plantations seem to be interminable and somewhat monotonous but the Mozarabe is a beautiful Camino overall.
Buen Camino!
John.

walking alongside of the Sierra Nevada last March had cold headwinds straight off the snow ,,,and even some flurries of snow on 2 days ,,, but a beautiful Camino,,, tho 45 days to finesterre is very fast ,,, with rest days i took 80 days ,,, tho meet others doing it in about 60 days !!! Enjoy ,,,oh and on the Mozarabe had 2 seperate weeks of no other Pilgrims at all,,,so Merida on the vldp was quite a shock ,,,good shock !!!
Thanks for that, I will take care his innto account, I travel with 30lt ruck sack , try to keep the weight down to less than 10kg, will have light weight warm clothes (layers) but hopefully when I get to Merida beginning of March spring should be on its way👍

Hi Steve,
I walked Almería to Merida last October. Weather was excellent for the most part. The pilgrim Albergues will usually be without hospitaleros and often the number you ring is the Ayuntamiento so don’t leave your phone call til the afternoon as the phone may go unanswered! I was often alone in the Albergues. They are mostly well equipped.
The amigos in Almeria are very much on the ball but their remit only runs up to Granada. After that point the associations are not as active but the route is generally well marked-I found the stage leaving Granada poorly marked though.
After Granada the olive plantations seem to be interminable and somewhat monotonous but the Mozarabe is a beautiful Camino overall.
Buen Camino!
John.
Thank you john for your advice 👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Beatrice walked Almeria to Finisterre in 40 days last year, so it's doable if you enjoy walking big stages.

If that's your style, you might consider starting your trip at Cabo de Gato - That will allow you to walk the full "diagonal" across Spain. If you stay at Jorge Sagara's home/albergue near Almeria airport, he would probably drive you down to the cape to start your Camino (ask him in advance). He is also happy to collect pilgrims from the airport and provide advice about the route. His contact details are in the Guia published by the association.

Beatrice's stages: Almeria - Merida in 18 days
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/stages-and-photos-almería-to-merida-in-18-days.58743/

Beatrice's stages: Merida - Santiago in 20 days
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...a-to-santiago-de-compostela-in-20-days.58744/

At that pace, there's a good chance that you'll meet people along the way. Folks like me, who cover roughly half that distance per day, can find themselves a day or two behind or ahead the next pilgrims all the way to Merida.

As Martyduc said, the winds off the Sierra Nevada, some of the highest peaks in mainland Spain, can be chilly at this time of year. The Camino itself rises from sea level to >1,300m at Alquife and just before Quentar.

Thank you Raggy, lots to take onboard, starting from the sea sounds like a good Idea. I arrive late at bus station on 12th, booked a youth hostel ( not a youth mind you) but it's near the sea👍. I am in contact with Camino amigos in Almeria so that helps. I did the VDP in Sep/Oct last year so from Merida I know what to expect. Hoping it will take no longer than 3weeks to get to Mirida?

Cheers

Steve

Could you post the Amigos of Almeria website address?
Another question: I have a guide from Almeria (PDF) but it doesn't contain any information on albergues. Is there an albergue associated with the cathedral or nearby? Do you have a recommendation on where to stay the night before heading out?

Another question: I have a guide from Almeria (PDF) but it doesn't contain any information on albergues. Is there an albergue associated with the cathedral or nearby? Do you have a recommendation on where to stay the night before heading out?

This is the website of the Asociación Jacobea de Almería- Granada Camino Mozárabe .

And this is their guide. It is in Spanish but the albergues and their phone numbers are easy to find.

There are also GPX-tracks on their site.

The first night I stayed in Hotel Perla in the centre of Almeria, but there is also a Youth Hostel (Albergo Juvenil).

Anyhow, it is good to contact the Amigos. They are very helpful in finding accomodation or to solve any other problem.

After Granada there are more routes than the one in this guide. There is an alternative route from Pinos Pente which avoids a river crossing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The association Facebook page is more up to date than its website. I recommend visiting It rather than the website for the latest guides etc.
https://m.facebook.com/CaminoMozarabeDesantiagodealmeriagranada/

February-March 2019 edition of the guide to albergues is here (and on Facebook)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cAiQ0sUh_9F3Xnx8kuh3tCVP87rxWyhr/view

Do you have a recommendation on where to stay the night before heading out?
If you want central accommodation by the cathedral you can find a hotel / hostal / airbnb On the usual comparison sites. On my first visit, I used some Marriott points to stay at the AC hotel near the church of Santiago (a short walk from the cathedral on the Camino route).

The youth hostel is near to the bus / railway station on the south east of the city, I think. The other option listed in the guide is Jorge Sagarra‘s place -

My recommendation is to stay at Jorge Sagarra‘s home (Molina de aguafresca) near the airport. Jorge has rooms for pilgrims on the ground floor. He will meet you at the airport, tell you all about the route and provide you with a credential, provide dinner and breakfast, and drop you off at the cathedral in the morning. There’s also a bus route from the main road near his house to downtown Almeria.

In Almeria I stayed at youth hostel, 15 euro with big breakfast. The guide is updated every month . It's accurate between Almeria and Granada. But from Granada not so not great , there are blogs and info on Ivar that are more up-to-date.

But from Granada not so not great , there are blogs and info on Ivar that are more up-to-date.

The website of the Cordoba amigos has a lot of information.

The Granada Amigos give less information. When I was there (2016) the signposting however was excellent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back