• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozarabe (from Malaga) by bike in June questions

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hello, I'm arriving in Malaga on Wednesday. I wonder if anyone could anyone please give me any information about the following:
  • Any ideas on bike hire in Malaga?
  • What it's like cycling the Mozarabe from Malaga to either Cordoba or Merida?
  • Is it possible to take bikes on buses or trains after?
  • Any lists of open albergues on that section?
Unfortunately I've done my ankle in, which is why I'm thinking of cycling, I began this camino a couple of years back, but got quite sick at Antequera, so I thought I'd have another go. Any ideas or advice very gratefully received. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
  • Any ideas on bike hire in Malaga?
Google points to this place in Malaga, which can rent you paniers and other equipment too:

Or there's this place in Fuengirola - a short train ride from Malaga and a 34km cycle back.

Depending on how many days you plan to be on the road, and what quality of bicycle you want, you might consider buying a cheap bicycle at Decathlon. It will be heavier and of lower quality than the machines that the shops will lend you but you may be able to flog it off or give it to a deserving person at the end of your trip - saving you the hassle of transporting it back to Malaga.

• What it's like cycling the Mozarabe from Malaga to either Cordoba or Merida?
In June you can expect fierce heat. Cordoba regularly has the highest temperatures in Europe. Carry plenty of water. Stay well hydrated. Protect yourself from the sun. Cover as much distance as you can between 5:00 AM and 10:00 AM.

Malaga to Cordoba is 219km
Malaga to Merida is 470km
You have some climbing to do from Malaga to Cordoba. The way is relatively flat from Cerro Murianos to Merida (16km after Cordoba). You can find altitude profiles for each stage in this PDF:

Don't use that PDF as a route guide since there may have been some changes since it was published.

• Is it possible to take bikes on buses or trains after?
  • ALSA (long distance buses) lets you transport a dismantled bicycle on its buses for a fee. Depending on the route, you may have to travel with a different bus company - Refer to the bus company's policy based on your plans.

• RENFE (railways) allows fully assembled bicycles on the local trains and disassembled bicycles in bags/boxes on longer distance routes. Refer to the threads in the cycling forum which typically start with "Tried searching but couldn't find the answer" https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bike-on-the-train-again.52846/
  • Any lists of open albergues on that section?
I'm pretty sure that someone recently posted their post-pandemic experience of the Malaga route on this forum. The Malaga association is not encouraging pilgrims because municipal albergues are closed but most of the private accommodations should be open.

From Baena onward, you can refer to the regularly updated guide from the Almeria association. They tend to publish the latest version on their facebook page first and then on their website. At the moment, as you can see, municipal albergues are basically closed.

Since you should be able to cover longer distances than pilgrims on foot, you may find that you have enough options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another wacky possibility - Do a triangle from Malaga to Cordoba, then turn around and go via Granada to Almeria, then turn east along the coast to Malaga. (If you also threw in a short side trip to Jaen, you would see all three branches of the Camino Mozarabe in Andalusia).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, you could try Kay Farrell’s shop (malagabiketours.eu) or there’s another shop nearby called malagabiketours.com.
You could also inquire at the Recyclo Bike Cafe/shop. I live in Malaga but I don’t bike so I don’t know much about biking routes/ rentals. I walked the Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba last October so if you need help id’ing accommodations, let me know.

Check out bicigrino.com, they will deliver to your departure hotel & pick up from your final destination. I used them twice (CF & VDLP) with no issues, good almost new bikes with panniers, etc. We hired Specialized MTBs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back