Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Mozarabe in Winter?

Lisakline

Past OR future Camino
I am walking in March and April of 2019.
Hello all i am considering begunnig a Mozárabe camino in the winter of 2021/22. Anyone have info on whether albergues are open on the Mozárabe in January/ Febuary?

A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
The Almeria Amigos association is very active, and they regularly update their guide - they were updating it monthly or even twice/month, before the pandemic. They are the best source of information for the Mozarabe. The guide (updated May 15, 2021) is available on their website (along with GPS tracks and more) and also on their Facebook page.

The volunteers are extremely friendly and helpful. They would love to hear from you and meet you when you start.

Send them an email or Facebook question, and I'm sure they'll try to answer your question about January/February, although that is still quite far away, given the various uncertainties.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I walked there in April 2018. It was quite cold at that time of year at high altitudes. Remember, you are going up into the Sierra Nevadas, a mountain range up to 3.500 m. (11.400 ft.) with snow. You will walk alongside this range, not crossing it.

Climate:

As for albergues, at least when I walked, you have to call beforehand, as some of them are not staffed. This is a very low-traffic route.

FWIW, It would not be my first choice for a Winter Camino, IMHO.

Buen Camino!

Lisakline

Past OR future Camino
I am walking in March and April of 2019.
I walked there in April 2018. It was quite cold at that time of year at high altitudes. Remember, you are going up into the Sierra Nevadas, a mountain range up to 3.500 m. (11.400 ft.) with snow. You will walk alongside this range, not crossing it.

Climate:

As for albergues, at least when I walked, you have to call beforehand, as some of them are not staffed. This is a very low-traffic route.

FWIW, It would not be my first choice for a Winter Camino, IMHO.

Buen Camino!
Thank you,
i need to do more research!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
D

Deleted member 73526

The route of the camino in the SIerra Nevada mountain range climbs as high as 1,400m. As Alex said, you will meet winter conditions at that altitude, despite the southerly latitude.

That said, people have walked and enjoyed the route in winter - even January - and the association will give excellent support and advice. In the past, the association's albergues have been open pretty much year round, but they are closed right now as the association needs volunteer hospitaler@s to enable them to meet the current requirements (e.g. sanitary requirements).

This is just a guess, but I expect that the sanitary requirements for albergues will not be relaxed this year, so, the municipal albergues will probably be closed over the winter months, when there will be no hospitaler@s in residence. That means that you will need to rely on private accommodations and there may be a couple of long, mountain, stages. If you're used to wilderness hikes in snowy conditions, have at it. If not, maybe wait a year and see if the municipal albergue network is available again.

filly

Past OR future Camino
I was planning this hike for June.... now set for June’22, courtesy of Easyjet’s flight amendment programme.

May I recommend you read George Brennan's excellent short memoir of his time living near Guadix in the 20’s, South from Granada. Available as a Penguin paperback.

Lavdrum

Past OR future Camino
Plata-2015/Portugues 2016/Norte(Irún>Avilés) July 2017/Francés Oct.2017/Salvador-Primitivo July 2018
I walked the Mozarábe in Oct./Nov. 2018. I stayed in municipal Albergues whenever possible. The Amigos in Almeria were really helpful and welcoming.
I would think that this route would be snowy in winter, I saw references in visitor books in some Albergues to that effect.
With regard to a June start, I would not advise it. There are long stretches with no shade or services whatsoever. Autumn is a good time to walk as the temperature was fine and there was little rain.
buen camino,
John.

koknesis

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June/July 2014
Camino Aragones August 2015
Camino Sanabres (Ourense-SdC) August 2015
VdlP 2017
Walked Mozarabe in June 2019. Neli and Mercedes from Amigos provided excellent guidance regarding use of albergues. The one in Rioja had even a decent swimming pool! I do not think the mountain stretches would be problematic in winter. Of course appropriate gear required for winter anyway. In contrast torrential rains like in September 2019 would most likely make the stages including usually dry riverbeds unpassable.

Past OR future Camino
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
Hello all i am considering begunnig a Mozárabe camino in the winter of 2021/22. Anyone have info on whether albergues are open on the Mozárabe in January/ Febuary?
I am interested to hear info you obtained as I too look at walking sometime between Dec ‘21 and March ‘22

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances