• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozarabe needs hospitaleros

D

Deleted member 73526

As I mentioned in a recent thread about the Camino Mozarabe, the Almeria association is unable to operate its network of donativo albergues because they need hospitaleros on site to ensure compliance with sanitary / hygiene rules. (Previously, most of the albergues were unstaffed - maintained weekly by volunteers from the association).

In a teleconference on 18/Jun, I asked Mercedes (president of the Almeria association) about the situation. She shared the following information:

• Only two municipal (donativo) albergues are open at the moment between Almeria and Merida. They are Alboloduy and Alcaracejos. (I believe that these have volunteer hospitaleros from a national association).
  • It is possible to stay at private accommodations - as listed in the guide which the association published. They are operating with reduced capacity and in accordance with sanitary requirements.
  • It is vital that pilgrims plan in advance and call ahead to the private accommodations to reserve places. You cannot guarantee that you will find a place to stay if you just show up.
  • For albergues to open, they need hospitaleros on site to ensure compliance with the rules - including limits to people staying, cleaning of facilities, use of masks and alcohol gel etc.
  • Even if the albergues are open, the public spaces *(kitchen / living room etc.) are off limits.
  • This situation is likely to continue to October at least. After that, circumstances may justify a change in rules.
I asked if the association wanted volunteers to help to manage albergues. Mercedes gave a qualified "yes," Not just anyone would be suitable. Anyone interested in volunteering should :
  • Be able to communicate in Spanish.
  • Be fully vaccinated against COVID.
  • Have training / experience of being a hospitalero.
  • Have experience of walking the Camino Mozarabe (or a similar, Southern Camino).
Send me a message if you would like me to put you in touch with the Almeria association - or contact them directly. The association will want to speak with you to ensure that you know what you're taking on and you are suitable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for this update. I am not in a position to consider volunteering, but I am curious about something...
For albergues to open, they need hospitaleros on site to ensure compliance with the rules - including limits to people staying, cleaning of facilities, use of masks and alcohol gel etc.
Does this mean they need someone in town to admit pilgrims and do the daily cleaning afterwards, or do they need someone to be actually staying in the albergue to ensure compliance with the rules?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Raggy,
I'm interested.
Ditto to C Clearly questions. Plus how would a hospitalero enforce limits? Alboloduy is tiny and a long way (27k?) from the next town. I don't recall any private facitilies there.
Digger

Thanks for this update. I am not in a position to consider volunteering, but I am curious about something...

Does this mean they need someone in town to admit pilgrims and do the daily cleaning afterwards, or do they need someone to be actually staying in the albergue to ensure compliance with the rules?
I don't know the answer. This is something that a prospective volunteer should discuss with the association.

My guess - I think some albergues (e.g. Alboloduy, Abla, Hueneja) have private rooms where a hospitalero could stay for a couple of weeks. I don't think that a hospitalero can be expected to enforce behavior, but might be expected to remind pilgrims of the ground rules. The association would need to discuss with the hospitalero about what to do if a pilgrim is unwilling to abide by the rules.

Hi Raggy,
I'm interested.
Ditto to C Clearly questions. Plus how would a hospitalero enforce limits? Alboloduy is tiny and a long way (27k?) from the next town. I don't recall any private facitilies there.
Digger
Thank you Digger. I will send you a private message.

Alboloduy is one of the towns with a municipal / donativo albergue, but there are several others between Almeria and Merida. If I recall correctly, Alboloduy has a couple of small stores, a restaurant, a couple of bars, a municipal pool. What would be the biggest town with a municipal albergue? Maybe Castro del Rio, Hinojosa del Duque, or Castuera? You should have a candid chat with the Almeria association about the kind of places that you would be happy to stay - and the places that won't work for you.

I recommend having a transparent discussion with them - Share all of your expectations and concerns. Don't hold back from asking lots of questions. At the end of it, you or the association might say "Sorry. This won't work after all." Or you might both say "Let's go for it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post the web address or email of the Almería association? Or PM me? We have been hospis a couple of times and would like to do it again spring next year. Do you have to be N. American?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back