• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabrés info

Ullamae

Time of past OR future Camino
I'll be starting the Mozarabe around 10 March, and have a couple of questions:

1. What is the daily average when it come s to cost? I usually spend 30 to 35 on the CF.
2. Will there be open albergues, or do I have to plan my route in detail before I leave?
3. Is camping allowed? (In case of closed albergues...)
4. Are coffee shops and tiendas relatively frequent?
Anything else that is different from the CF?

I haven't decided where to start yet, there are so many alternatives. I'm thinking probably Almería or Granada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My advice is to do a lot of research, I honestly don’t think a “the Camino will provide” attitude while very attractive is necessarily the best for your intended trip.
The best place to start is this forum, there’s a good guide in the resource section.
Read through the posts from forum members, Bad Pilgrim, Beatrice, Magwood, and others.
There are a number of guides published by various Amigos associations, with maps, Albergues, etc etc, find them on line.
The Mozarabe is very different than the CF, usually fewer pilgrims, less infrastructure, usually further between arrows, I found GPS while not essential occasionally useful especially when exiting towns.
About camping, read FAQ’s, think about pack weight.
Use “Earth” to look at the terrain.
Find a companion, I’ve been very lucky in my travels along the Mozarabe, both times I enjoyed the company great people.
Easter may impact on accommodations, depends where you are.
Shops and bars tend to be less frequent than on the CF, some days you will struggle to get an early coffee or breakfast.
Cost, probably the same, depending on accommodation.
Regards
George

Last edited:
I'll be starting the Mozarabe around 10 March, and have a couple of questions:

1. What is the daily average when it come s to cost? I usually spend 30 to 35 on the CF.
2. Will there be open albergues, or do I have to plan my route in detail before I leave?
3. Is camping allowed? (In case of closed albergues...)
4. Are coffee shops and tiendas relatively frequent?
Anything else that is different from the CF?

I haven't decided where to start yet, there are so many alternatives. I'm thinking probably Almería or Granada.

There is a great association that supports Pilgrims on the Mozarabe. I am sure you will find the contact information in the Mozarabe thread.
Walked in April this year and there were no issues with Albergues.
Never had an issue finding food or coffee.
This route is not like the Frances. The terrain is more like Arizona with Olive groves everywhere until you get close to Cordoba.
The stages are more spread out than the Frances and it is well marked. I recommend you take a look at www.gronze.com.
Surprisingly there were Pilgrims everywhere I stopped.
Start in Almeria

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will you be starting in Málaga or Almería? I have walked both routes. When walking from Málaga I thought it might be of intrest to others if I reported my daily expenditure on my blog. I also blogged every day from Almería without the expenditure information. You will find lots of other info about daily elevation, accommodation and opportunities for refreshment during the stage. You are welcome to take a look at these links - Málaga / Almería
Buen camino

I used Magwoods online journal of the Del Norte as my basic guide this past year for the Camino del Norte/Primitivo and it was a fantastic resource, thank you very much!!!!
I will be doing the same in October when I plan to start the Mozarabe/VdlP. I had originally hoped to start in Tarifa, but Malaga works fine for me and I am anticipating a nice long walk to Muxia! Hope to meet some of you along the way!

I used Magwoods online journal of the Del Norte as my basic guide this past year for the Camino del Norte/Primitivo and it was a fantastic resource, thank you very much!!!!
I will be doing the same in October when I plan to start the Mozarabe/VdlP. I had originally hoped to start in Tarifa, but Malaga works fine for me and I am anticipating a nice long walk to Muxia! Hope to meet some of you along the way!

Thanks for those kind words @david marquez. I’m really happy that my blog has been useful. I try to include plenty of info for pilgrims whilst hopefully there will be enough ‘story telling’ to be of intrest to my non-pilgrim friends.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back