• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozarabe in February

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and son in law and I are leaving Almeria on February 25 ending in Cordoba March 18 (we hope). I follow Ivar's forum and would appreciate your recommendations from along the way. We are in touch with Nely in Almeria and Violeta in Huenja. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If there are other walkers starting from Almeria, you will form an impromptu party, which is likely to fragment by Granada. The more able will want to get on, and some will delay. I walked from Granada to Merida almost entirely on my own. Other walkers shared the trail with me as and when.

I walked from Granada to Merida in 15 days starting on March 9. Normally 18 stages, but I had to do three doubles due lack of accommodations - in part due to Spanish road/utility crews booking the few options available. Saw three Englishmen 2nd day and ran into a Dutch blogger on the road into Cordoba. Otherwise, a solitary walk. Be prepared for few services and very little shade. Beautiful but difficult stretch of 34km of no services crossing the Sierra Morena from Villaharta to Alcaracejos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From Almería to Granada in March we met 7 other peregrinos and A Czech man walking the GR7 from Lisbon. Buen Camino
How was the weather and the landscapes this time of the year? I intend to walk the mozárabe from almería to Santiago (and Muxía y Finisterra) starting next february or march. Because I know that is dangerous to walk in Extremadura in May or June; it can get unbearably hot. On the other hand I'm affraid that starting to walk this early (end of Winter) would deprive me from beautiful sights or would inflict me to much cold weather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Because I know that is dangerous to walk in Extremadura in May or June;
I have walked in Extremadura three times in May. Twice, I started the Vdlp in Sevilla in early May, once I started the Mozárabe from Almería in mid-April.

I would not say the heat level in May is typically dangerous, but of course things can happen.

I always time my southern starts to try to coincide with peak wild flowers. Those three caminos were jam packed with an amazing wildflower display all along the way.

This year I started in Alicante in mid May, and because of the drought, particularly hard hitting in the south, the wild flowers were not out in force. The fields were not their typical emerald green, there were a lot of failed crops. Further north, there were more and more, but nothing like previous years.

All of this to say, that if your main concern is the heat, I think a later start is still likely to be very do-able. Extremadura in May or June is not likely to be like Extremadura in July, August, or September. Thoughh we know we are losing our grip on what is “normal” when it comes to weather.

I'm embarking on the Mozarabe this 6th February, Almería to Granada. Anyone doing it at this time?
I'll be using the Almería Association's hostels and am already in touch with them via WhatsApp (though it seems likely I will be completely on my own in them!)
Hi Phil - did you walk Almeria to Granada beginning 6 Feb? How was the weather? How cold? I ask because I hope to begin on 16 Feb 2024?

I walked from Granada to Merida in 15 days starting on March 9. Normally 18 stages, but I had to do three doubles due lack of accommodations - in part due to Spanish road/utility crews booking the few options available. Saw three Englishmen 2nd day and ran into a Dutch blogger on the road into Cordoba. Otherwise, a solitary walk. Be prepared for few services and very little shade. Beautiful but difficult stretch of 34km of no services crossing the Sierra Morena from Villaharta to Alcaracejos.
Hi WisTom - I noticed you planned to walk beginning 11 Feb, then actually walked beginning 9 March - was this date change related to the weather? I'm planning to begin in Almeria on 16 Feb 2024 - hoping its not going to be REALLY cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Phil - did you walk Almeria to Granada beginning 6 Feb? How was the weather? How cold? I ask because I hope to begin on 16 Feb 2024?
Hi! I did indeed! It was mostly fine and usually rained at night. Chilly starts and particularly cold when the wind was coming off the Sierra Nevada! I wore leggings most days and my Arabic scarf!
Here's day one:
(the rest are on my YouTube channel. Including Granada to Córdoba in May)
Buen Camino!

Hi WisTom - I noticed you planned to walk beginning 11 Feb, then actually walked beginning 9 March - was this date change related to the weather? I'm planning to begin in Almeria on 16 Feb 2024 - hoping its not going to be REALLY cold.
No. It was a health issue. Weather would have been better in February. It was hot (for me) in March. When I arrived in Mérida at the end of the March, it was 32C/88F.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My daughter Zoe and I are walking Málaga to Baena to Cordoba beginning February 15. Maybe we will see you in Baena but I am old and slow. Buen Camino
I will probably finish in Córdoba this time as it is easier to get transport home from there. Hopefully will get a chance to say hello in person, but you will be starting 5 days ahead of me. Buen camino

We have now booked our flight. We plan on beginning in Almeria on 7 February. Staying in Almeria on the 5th and 6th to acclimatize, chat with the Association, and see a bit of the area. Hoping to stay at the albergue and chat with Nely. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have now booked our flight. We plan on beginning in Almeria on 7 February. Staying in Almeria on the 5th and 6th to acclimatize, chat with the Association, and see a bit of the area. Hoping to stay at the albergue and chat with Nely. Thanks for the input, everyone!
Well, with a few days in Almería, there are imho two obvious top of the list places to visit. The castle is very nice with great views, and the tour of the Civil War bomb shelters/tunnels just fascinating. In my limited experience, the tickets sell out in advance (I will confess that our group of 8 or so snuck another peregrina in with us since there were no more tickets) so a little aadvance planning might be necessary.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back