• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mucho Deniro?

Geoff3

Hello People :D

Could anybody who has walked the Camino please give me a rough idea of the very minimum amount of money needed to survive each day while out there?
I leave on saturday and now that the time is close I am starting to fret even though I knew ages ago I`d be cutting things fine!!
What would be my biggest expense, food? or accomodation if I use it as I`m still hoping to camp out.

Thanks very much

Geoff3

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola!

Hmm... Depends really. The refuges tend to be more expensive at the beginning, I've found. Some are about €7 a night then you can get a pilgrim menu of three courses for about €8 plus the cost of lunch or water or beer or whatever else you want to spend money on.

Toward the latter half I'd say refuges are nearer the €3 mark... So maybe €20 - 25??? Dunno... Never really thought about it.

Beware of carrying large amounts of cash though as last year there were isolated incidents of people having the odd tenner nicked from their wallet... But as I say, isolated instances.

So I type all that out and Ivar has the key in one easy link!!! :lol: :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much to the both of you, much appreciated and now realise just how low my budget is :shock:

peace and light
Geoff3

el cheapo

hey,

I am new to this myself but most intelligent responses to your question (cost?) tend to land in this ballpark: 1 Euro/kilometer. This is handy as you can fine tune it to what exactly you plan to walk. Keep in mind everyone has a different idea of luxury and necessity and you should be alright; at least thats what I am counting on! For instance, SJPP to Santiao is 780K, so thats 780 (lets call it 800) Euro or just over $1000. If you walk 20-25K/day then thats.... Buen Camino! VP

So if im walking 800km that means that i will spend ÂŁ800 at least. Ive been told that i can do it for ÂŁ100 walking for 5 weeks, starting from St james as i am starting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Firstly, it's pretty silly to focus on surviving for 5 weeks on such a tiny amount such as ÂŁ100 - there is some charity along the way (such as refuges that accept donations) but most refuges charge between say 3 and 8 euros a night - to which you'll need to add some food - relying on free water and supermarket or the pilgrim menu would run to between 4 and 8 euros a day

So on my rough estimates you'd be looking at between 245-560 euros (ÂŁ170-390) - the oft-quoted 1 euro per kilometre ignores how much you walk each day and there is a wide variety in the speed at which people walk

The Camino shouldn't be viewed solely as a cheap holiday - and it certainly would be crazy for instance to camp out (in the snow) or not have enough money for basic food - if you have only ÂŁ100 then you should focus on taking less time and not starting from SJPP but say Burgos or even Leon

So much to think about here!!

I must add this... I am most definately not looking at this as some kind of cheap holiday thats for sure...

I am tryining to find something that I have over the years pushed deep inside and I`m struggling to get back.

When I booked my flight I did not realise, by half, how much I would spend on boots, backpack etc etc and now I find myself extremely short of money and if I`m lucky I should have about 120 Euro a week.

I`m trying to rely on Faith but it`s hard when it has been gone for so very long and knowing the line between faith and my being stupid here is hard!

Still I fly to Bilbao in the morning and may now decide to start from Pamplona instead but will decide when I arrive in Spain.

Many thanks
Geoff3

You could perhaps do a week from where you wanted to start, see how much it is costing you and then work out if you need to adjust your pilgrimage by, if necessary, taking a bus to cut out a section to leave yourself enough money to live on to finish in Santiago. You only need to do the last 100 km to earn your compostela, everything else is a bonus. Because everyone is different you might need to experiment a bit to see how little you can manage on.
Magnara

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, but what about camping?

I too, have been wondering about camping. The only response that mentions it suggests not to do it in the snow. But what about walking off the trail here and there and discreetly bedding down for the night? Is it, done often? easy? safe? legal? Does anyone have experience of this?

Whatever happens, remember ATM rules, the Caminos are no exception. You'll find them along towns/cities, etc. Buen Camino, xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de PerdĂłn has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back