• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mudslides cause re-routing in Puente la Reina

peregrina2000

Staff member
About 700 m after leaving Puente la Reina, the Camino has been re-routed to take the highway into Maneru.

The article in Spanish is here:
http://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/2013/0 ... eina-gares

This stretch has been problematic since my very first Camino in 2000, and I know it has been moved around a bit in search of less muddy ground a couple of times.

Since the Camino is also used to service a water treatment plant between Puente and Maneru, it seems likely that repairs will be forthcoming.

According to the article, there is some confusion and signage of the detour is not yet complete, so if you're walking in the next few days pay careful attention on leaving Puente la Reina.

The Article says that the Camino has been re-routed to the "old highway," which obviously excludes the autopista, so you can get an idea from this map:
http://goo.gl/maps/f89yX

Buen camino to those starting out. I wonder if there are mud problems with the Camino into Pamplona, I remember it being re-routed because of rain on a number of occasions. And how about the Alto del Perdon?!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have walked the pavement from Puente la Reina to Maneru on the NA-1110. It is gradual elevation change and good footing, but a bit longer than the marked trail. Cross the A-12 at the first circle by turning right.

Walkers should expect problems with mud and mudslides all along the Camino route in Navarra, and exercise caution.

As I've posted on another thread about the weather here, the Guardia Civil has indicated that the walker's path from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Mt. Erro/Zubiri is impassable due to snow. Past Zubiri, the trail is deeply muddy and there is danger of mudslides all along the Camino because Navarra has received 2/3 of its annual rainfall in the past month and a half alone.

There has been considerable flooding around Pamplona in February, a we've even had a section of Pamplona's old defensive walls collapse because of the excessive rainfall.

_at_1644_jpg_20130214205721_9153_1.jpg

This occurred in a section of the wall past the cathedral, closer to the area near the Plaza de Toros, not on the side where the Camino passes.

There's been so much rainfall that the ground cannot absorb all the water, and the water has been a factor in the 40+ minor earthquakes that have been felt in Uterga and around the Sierra de Perdón as a result of the pressure on plates and the fault that runs under the Sierra and Pamplona. Yep, it's been an a hard winter here. Just waiting for the locust plagues to start... :|

I cycle quite a bit around Pamplona on the weekends, including along sections of the Camino. We haven't been able to go out for weeks because of the rain, and the one time we were able, we had to stick to asphalted roads. The trails in every direction, including the Camino, are too muddy right now. Anyone walking the Camino in Navarra right now must be prepared for lots of mud and exercise caution.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
More rain today, tomorrow, and again Tuesday between Pamplona and Puente la Reina, so it will only get muddier. The temperature will be 9 to 16C. The roads parallel to the pilgrimage route are a satisfactory walk if you stick to the left side and wear a high visibility vest.

Buen camino, and keep dry!

I suppose that the possible alternatives like the Baztan or the Vasco Interior are also going to have the same huge problems with mud and slides and all the rest? Does anyone know if the Norte is also as badly affected by the rains?

Walking on the road from Roncesvalles to Logrono doesn't sound like a great way to start a Camino, but it seems like there may be no alternative for a lot of those kms.

Navarricano, do you have any idea how long this muddy stretch extends? Do you know of other parts where people are being re-routed off the Camino?

I'm afraid I haven't been able to venture out into the countryside much for the past couple of weekends, but I would say that while there will certainly be mud one should be able to walk without an enormous amount of difficulty. You'll remember that the Camino varies between gravelled roads, dirt tracks, asphalted lanes and the occasional bit on the highway all the way through Navarra. There will certainly be deeply muddy, difficult stretches along the way (I'm thinking of the trails through vineyards outside of Cirauqui and Villamayor de Monjardín, for example), alternating with easier stretches along gravelled roads. Mud there will be, but it should be manageable for the most part, I'd think.

The ascent and the descent of Mt. Perdón are the stretches I'd be most concerned about. There was still snow on the summit and the northeast slope where the Camino runs as I came into work this morning. Assuming that's melting away, (it's 8ºC down here around Pamplona today) it'll make the slog up and down the mountain hard going, especially that bit with the wooden beams on the ascent. Those beams get slick with mud fast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Navarricano said:
The ascent and the descent of Mt. Perdón are the stretches I'd be most concerned about.

That was exactly the stretch that came to mind past Pamplona. Obviously, I cannot even imagine the last 5 kms into Zubiri...

Navarricano, thanks so much for the great service you do t the Pilgrims by posting these news and status on the Camino conditions. Rough winter.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back