• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Multi country hikes and travel within Europe

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

Jim

Time of past OR future Camino
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre
I’m been in Europe since Easter Sunday, arriving in Paris, carrying passport, locator tracking form as required by French government and covid documents. Not wanting any issue, we made a stop the day before departure to be covid tested (free to both of us through insurance or fitting into any number of situations as defined by the powers that be in the state of California). Reassuring at least to learn that results were negative. Tests had been processed during the night and were on our cell phones, should anyone ask. No one did. Spouse had to return home on Monday, May 2nd— it was required to have negative covid test the day before— Besides being a Sunday, May 1st was also a holiday in Paris and few pharmacies were open— we found two: Pharmacie Mabillon at Rue du Four, 8 in the 6th arrondissement (open very Sunday from 11 AM to 6:30 PM, the sign said) and Pharmacie Slakmon located also in the 6th at Rue de Rennes, 145 (also open every Sunday from 10 AM to 5:30 PM, times listed on a green placard inside the glass front door). The Slakmon facility was closer, so we used that one. Testing has a 30€ fee, credit cards acceptable. It took all of 20 minutes to speak with the person doing the tests, pay for it and then get results— this was the simple antigen test done with a nasal swab I inquired about a “Green pass” for myself. I am not a European citizen, but they offered that to me for 36€ fee. That took the agent about 15 minutes to do. I decided to get it in case streamlining were needed at any of 5 interEuropean border crossings. I had a flight to Italy on May 2nd and showing tge pass was not required but as soon as it was shown, I was moved along quickly. Masks are required for the flight and if you have the simple cloth type or plain surgical mask, it is NOT accepted for flights or any transport into or across Italy. The pharmacy at Charles de Gaulle airport sells them of course and the airline agents are good and also polite in telling you what you need and directing passengers as to where to get the item.
I used a high-speed train in Italy and one absolutely needs to use that specialized mask for all bus and train travel. In fact, a young adult student did not have one on and when the conductor showed up to check tickets, he had harsh words for him. I had a spare unused one and offered it to this poor kid who was a foreigner to Italy. Be aware that if caught on transport without the recommended type of mask and you could be subject to being deboarded at the next stop as well as made to pay a hefty fine. The conductor was in agreement with my intervention in the end and agreed to let this slide (this was NOT a calm situation in the beginning as the other passenger claimed ignorance of the requirement because Romania, Turkey and a few other countries he rattled off did not have the same requirement; the conductor was not buying the kids argument). Every Pharmacie over there carries the required kinds and the cost is under 1€ for a single item. So I am on the ground in Italy at the moment and just now received communique from TAP regarding requirements for boarding their flight to Lisbon which I have scheduled for May 9th. For US citizens from now until May 11th when changes “could” be made, it appears that proof of vaccination documentation is needed for US citizens. Would not need a green pass although that was one of the listed options. Did not see that a locator form was needed but I had looked into that several weeks prior and have a print out of it in case needed. Will be entering Galicia Spain in May 14th by ALSA bus from Braga to start coastal Portuguese route, and don’t believe anything special is needed for that other than the mask. I hope to report my experiences going from here to Portugal/Spain and then back to France for my flight home in mid-June.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We were in Siracuse Sicily (Italy) April 30. Can’t recall seeing anyone wearing a mask. Had locator form no one ask for it. Had to wear a mask on flight from Malta to Paris on May 2, but not a specific kind. Just what we experienced, in the past few days.

We were in Siracuse Sicily (Italy) April 30. Can’t recall seeing anyone wearing a mask. Had locator form no one ask for it. Had to wear a mask on flight from Malta to Paris on May 2, but not a specific kind. Just what we experienced, in the past few days.
Masks apply to TRANSPORT within Italy. Most are not wearing masks at all while outside or inside except in specific places. Malta is not part of Italy so the Italian rules for special mask regulation would not apply unless Malta enacted similar rules, and by what you are saying they apparently haven’t enacted anything similar to Italy.
Regarding the locator form— many airlines will not allow you to board without it if your destination country mandates it. Airline agents on the ground DO ask for the forms if required by whatever country you wish to enter.
I’ve experienced similar in that once you reach your destination, no one seems interested in the form, BUT the point is that you might not be allowed to board the plane without it. Others might have better insight on why the demand for it if no one really seems to care about it after you’ve arrived and if hand filled out as some of my locators were, how could they ever track you if a problem is caught??? — they make no copies of it and they don’t keep it from my personal experience! BUT.., my goal is to get where I want to go and I feel that thorough compliance ensures that!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the reminder - especially about the trains mask requirements! Need to make sure I put an appropriate mask in my bag for such occasions. I use a mix of masks at home - and not all would be approved for public transportation in Europe.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back