• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Multilingual Camino Dictionary

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi everybody!
I am pondering this idea since a while and would like to hear your opinions about it:

This forum is mainly in English, but we do have a lot of members that are fluent in other languages.
Some pilgrims would like to be able to speak/understand some Spanish/French ect before going on pilgrimage.
The typical 'pilgrims vocabulary' is actually pretty small (bed, food, drink, where are you from ect).

So I had the following idea:

We could all pour our combined language resources into one Google doc and create so a multilingual Camino dictionary :)

Even those that speak 'only' English could participate by adding phrases they would like to see translated.

When the doc is finished (or some of the languages are reasonably filled, as this would be most likely always a work in progress) I could download the doc and upload it here into the free resource section for everybody to see, download, adapt to their personal needs and use.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While there are lots of phrase books already available, a Camino-specific one that people could edit to only include what they care about (and which they can easily add to on their own) would be very useful for a lot of people.

I think a multi-lingual Camino phrasebook is a great idea and would love to help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A particularly amazing feature (albeit definitely more work to create) would be to have a native speaker create an audio file for each phrase (separate audio file per word / phrase). The audio files could be downloaded to the user's mobile device to have with them. This is something I've been working on for my Lycian Way trek info (Turkish being much more 'foreign' for most English-speakers than is Spanish).

Whilst that is a great idea @stratophile it might be best to start more simple :) In the end such a doc could be used, when printed, to just point to the phrase you want to use. SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ok, I set a doc, actually a spreadsheet, as it is more flexible, up. Those of you interested please PM (don NOT post your email here, reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address_harvesting) me your email for an invitation to edit the doc. Any further questions here in this thread please and not via PM as many people might have the same question. SY

I did @t2andreo but to late in my neck of the wood now for an in-depth reply, will get to it tomorrow! SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here's a modified version of the vocabulary list I am compiling for the Lycian Way. I've added some Camino-specific words / phrases, but I am sure I've overlooked some. Feel free to use / not use as you see fit. Some of the entries are a tad tongue-in-cheek -- please excuse my lame humor. :) Just keep telling yourself: "It could be worse; I could be stuck in the same albergue as this guy..."

Courtesies
Hello
Goodbye
Good morning
Good day
Good evening
Good night
What is your name?
My name is…
It’s nice to meet you.
I am from…
-Canada
-the United Kingdom
-England
-Scotland
-Wales
-Ireland
-Australia
-the United States
-Germany
-France
-Italy
-Austria
-Spain
-Portugal
-Netherlands
-Russia
-another planet. Take me to your leader.
How are you?
I’m good, thanks.
Spain is very beautiful
Everyone is very friendly

Basic Communication
Yes
No
Maybe
I understand
I do not understand
Do you understand?
I know
I do not know
Do you know?
I do not speak Spanish
Do you speak English?
Does anyone here speak English?
Will you understand me better if I speak very loudly and roll my eyes at you? (popular alternative: “Why don’t you people make more of an effort to learn English???”)
Thank you
Thank you very much
Excellent!
Please
You’re welcome (popular alternative: "Your welcome")
Excuse me [interruption / to get attention]
Excuse me [apology]
After you [letting someone pass ahead of you]
I’m sorry
What does […] mean?
How do you pronounce…?
Please repeat that.
Please speak slowly.
Please write that down.

Accommodation & Getting Around
Albergue
Pension
Hostel
Casa Rural
Guest House
Hotel
Bed
Bunk
Bed bugs!
Shower
Where is the nearest albergue / hotel / pension / guest house / camp site?
I have a reservation.
Do you have any rooms available? Single / double / triple.
Do you have any beds available?
What do you mean the albergue is already full? It’s only 10:00am!
May I see it?
Is there another room?
Is breakfast included in the price?
Is there WiFi?
Are there private facilities? [private toilet / shower]
Is there a washer / dryer? [self-serve laundry]
Is there air conditioning?
Is there heating?
Are there sheets / blankets / pillow?
It’s too small.
Can you call ahead and make a reservation for me?
When is checkout?
What time is curfew?
Am I allowed to camp here / near here?
Does anyone mind if I snore really, really loudly? (popular alternative: "How about we all have baked beans for dinner?")

Euro Stuff
How much is it?
Do you accept credit cards?
That’s too expensive.
I’ll take it. [buy it, take the room, etc.]
Where is a bank / ATM / currency exchange place?
The Camino provides, but carrying some Euros definitely helps.

Camino-Related
I’m walking the Camino.
I am going [walking] to…
Where is the Camino trail?
I’m lost
Is this the way to…?
Which way is…?
How far is it to…?
Why yes, I *do* read Ivar’s Camino forum every day!
Where is the nearest bike repair shop?
Best wishes on your walk. (ie ‘Buen Camino’)
Tent
Boots
Hiking shoes
Walking poles
The view in the Pyrenees is worth the climb! [keep repeating it to yourself... it really does help!]
Rain
Snow
Sunny
Windy
Hiking
Bicycle
Bicycling
Trail

Finding Things
Where is the / a…
-Public toilet?
-Restaurant?
-Café?
-Bar / pub?
-Bank?
-ATM?
-Market?
-Bakery
-Supermarket?
-Police station?
-Tourist office?
-Post office?
-Doctor?
-Pharmacy?
-Church?
-Monastery?
-Cathedral?
-Bike repair shop?
-Camping site?
-Water source / fountain?
-Internet café?
Can you recommend a good quality but cheap…
What time does it open / close?
Please show me [on map]?
What is the address?
Where can I buy a phone card?
Can I leave my backpack here?
Is there someone who can transport my backpack to my next albergue?

Transport
Is there a bus that goes to…?
When is the next bus to…?
[To a bus driver:] Do you stop at…?
[To a bus driver:] Can I get off at…?
[To a bus driver:] Can I get off here?
Where is:
-A taxi?
-The bus station?
-The airport?
-The train station?
-Waldo?
How much is it to…?
Please take me to…
Bus
Taxi
Train

Common Signs
Entrance / Exit
Open / Closed
Rooms Available
No vacancies
Public toilets / Men's / Women's
Hot / Cold
Prohibited / Stay Out
No smoking
Potable Water

Descriptive Words
Bottom
Above
Below
Right [direction]
Left
Correct
Wrong
North
South
East
West
Small
Medium
Large
Extra-large with fries
Boyfriend
Girlfriend
Husband
Wife
Father
Mother
Daughter
Son
Friend
Family
Hungry
Thirsty
Happy
Sad
Tired
Good
Bad
Less
More
Far
Near

Other Useful Words / Phrases
Passport
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Vegetarian
Packed lunch [lunch to carry while hiking]
Water [for drinking]
Beer
Soft drink
Tea
Coffee
Help!
Stop!
Police!
Farfignewton!
Backpack
Money
I’m sick
It is very beautiful here.
You are very kind!
Translate
Wash [something]
Um, could you please at least wear a towel around the albergue? Much appreciated.
Who
What
Where
When
Why
How
Me
You
Wait, the line to get my compostela at the pilgrims office is *how* long????
---

That's it. Hopefully that is a good starting place. I'd help with the translations but my Spanish is almost as bad as my English.

Excellent @stratophile That will certainly get us started! Will incorporate this tomorrow in the doc, hitting the pillow soon in my neck of the wood! If you like send me your email via pm and I add you as an editor to the dictionary! Turkish might be very useful for pilgrims towards Jerusalem! SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everybody!
I am pondering this idea since a while and would like to hear your opinions about it:

This forum is mainly in English, but we do have a lot of members that are fluent in other languages.
Some pilgrims would like to be able to speak/understand some Spanish/French ect before going on pilgrimage.
The typical 'pilgrims vocabulary' is actually pretty small (bed, food, drink, where are you from ect).

We could all pour our combined language resources into one Google doc and create so a multilingual Camino dictionary :)

Even those that speak 'only' English could participate by adding phrases they would like to see translated.

When the doc is finished (or some of the languages are reasonably filled, as this would be most likely always a work in progress) I could download the doc and upload it here into the free resource section for everybody to see, download, adapt to their personal needs and use.

SY
I think that's a great idea, as it would also help communications among ourselves. It was frustrating sometimes not being able to help another person who was struggling to make themselves understood because of language barriers. I speak some French and Spanish (4 years of Latin helps!) but nothing else, and I wished I had known simple words or phrases in a few other languages.

A great idea, being Camino specific...I would love to get a copy when it is complete

Copies will be posted in the free resources section here. Would you also like to join the team? You could contribute some bicycle related phrases in English for others to translate and catch the odd type/funny expression of the English section. SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Copies will be posted in the free resources section here. Would you also like to join the team? You could contribute some bicycle related phrases in English for others to translate and catch the odd type/funny expression of the English section. SY
I will think on that for some good ones, right now its sleep time. Good night

Ok, I incorporated @stratophile 's very useful list into the doc and did the translation of it into German (my native tongue). If anybody would like to help further either by adding more phrases to translate or by translating the existing ones into other languages please PM (don NOT post your email here, reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address_harvesting) me your email for an invitation to edit the doc. Any further questions here in this thread please and not via PM as many people might have the same question. SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That might be a wee bit too specific and thankfully doesn't happen too often :D SY

Hi Everybody!
I am delighted to report that some kind souls have joined the team, added a lot more phrases and started the translation into Croatian! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ingrid, only if you have a German keyboard and convert vowels+e into the pesky Umlaute, I am a native German speaker myself, but sitting at/struggling with a Czech style key board. Also still needed: More Camino phrases to translate from English into ... SY

Hi Ingrid, only if you have a German keyboard and convert vowels+e into the pesky Umlaute, I am a native German speaker myself, but sitting at/struggling with a Czech style key board. Also still needed: More Camino phrases to translate from English into ... SY
no sorry no umlauts on my keyboard. I'll put my thinking cap on for Camino phrases. Ingrid

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Have you got:

Do you sell SIM cards?
Can I top up my SIM card here?
How do I top up my SIM card?
Do you have Wi Fi?
What is the WiFi password?

I know, very un pilgrimage like..... :oops:

but useful to know.

Robo, please make my life easier and PM me your email and I send you an invite to edit the doc and to add all those phrases, and more!, yourself! SY

If you're a Windows user you can refer to this: http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/Typing Special Characters - Microsoft Standard English (United States 101) Keyboard.pdf I use these all the time here on the forum to get é (Alt + 0233) and ñ (Alt + 0241), or the € (Alt + 0128) for instance. You have to use the numeric keypad, not the numbers above the letters.
EDIT:
Here's the info for the Mac keyboard: http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards2.asp

Jim

Nops, Mac user here, my usual workaround is to open Google translate, switch it to German, or Spanish, or whatever requires special characters and use Google's virtual keyboard and the copy and paste the special characters. A bit long winded, but it works, SY

Hi SY, I have been following this thread from the beginning. However, I can't find the spreadsheet. I am a total technophobe, so that may be the reason, or has it not been added to the Open Recource Section yet? I think it could be very useful for my next Camino and would probably help me to learn spanish. Thanks

Nops, Mac user here, my usual workaround is to open Google translate, switch it to German, or Spanish, or whatever requires special characters and use Google's virtual keyboard and the copy and paste the special characters. A bit long winded, but it works, SY
Are you saying the Mac info in the link does not work? I have no way to check it since I don't have a Mac, but the Windows version works quite well, not only here on the forum but in other applications such as Word, etc. I'd be interested in specific feedback or other alternatives from Mac users.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everybody!

SY

Good idea. Problem is, I don't know how to pronounce the words I learn, so I need the audio.
E.g. I worked out what a "bocadillo" was very quickly :) But it was near the end of my first camino before I worked out that I should say "bocadiyo". Is that right? :confused: Jill

@SYates - The link Jim listed has codes that work really well, though they have to be memorized. Worth doing for accents you use a lot but easy to forget otherwise.

Here's a little known but really handy Mac trick that I use constantly (in addition to some of the codes Jim mentions): simply hold down the letter for a few seconds -- OS X will pop up a menu of accented characters that are available for that letter! Very useful. :)

Hi SY, I have been following this thread from the beginning. However, I can't find the spreadsheet. I am a total technophobe, so that may be the reason, or has it not been added to the Open Recource Section yet? I think it could be very useful for my next Camino and would probably help me to learn spanish. Thanks

The spreadsheet is still very much a work in progress and will be uploaded to the free resources section if it is 'a bit' more filled out. Send me your email via PM and I add you as an editor and you can help by adding English phrases you would like to see translated. SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you saying the Mac info in the link does not work? I have no way to check it since I don't have a Mac, but the Windows version works quite well, not only here on the forum but in other applications such as Word, etc. I'd be interested in specific feedback or other alternatives from Mac users.

Got it now! Thanks, SY

Good idea. Problem is, I don't know how to pronounce the words I learn, so I need the audio.
E.g. I worked out what a "bocadillo" was very quickly :) But it was near the end of my first camino before I worked out that I should say "bocadiyo". Is that right? :confused: Jill

Thankfully Spanish is always pronounced as it is written, so yes, the double l 'll' is always pronounced 'y' (at least that is what most Spanish speakers do/understand, there are of course regional accents). I am happy to add a short pronunciation guide to the spreadsheet and a few links to free online resources that help with pronunciation when the main body (text/words/phrases) is done. SY

... Here's a little known but really handy Mac trick that I use constantly (in addition to some of the codes Jim mentions): simply hold down the letter for a few seconds -- OS X will pop up a menu of accented characters that are available for that letter! Very useful. :)

When I do this the letter get's just repeated endlessly like so: nnnnnnnnnnnnnn What am I missing? SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As stratophile says:
Mac keyboard hold down a letter and above will appear a bar with numbers and the accented letters they refer to:
Umlaut example - hold down letter o then tap number 2 button = ö others are o + 1 = ô, 0 + 3 = ò and so on.
Works on this site and in Microsoft Word and Mac Pages.
Good luck.

Nops, if I do what you write I get: o2222222222222222, need to check my keyboard settings then, SY

When I do this the letter get's just repeated endlessly like so: nnnnnnnnnnnnnn What am I missing? SY
Hmmm. Not sure -- are you using a recent version of OS X? This feature has been standard since Lion. Note - not all applications will support it. If you are using an old app it might not work. To test it, try opening a simple text editor (like the built-in TextEdit) and trying it there.

€60,-
I guess then it is because I am on 10.6.8, can't update further as I am on an old Mac Mini that otherwise works perfectly well! SY

Another method for umlaut is hold down alt key then u, let go alt key and swiftly press, for example, letter o and you get ö.
Same method for other vowels
ä ë ï ö ü
tilde ñ
alt key then swiftly n twice
cedilla ç
same method

Hi and SORRY!

I got distracted a bit over the last weeks, but I am now back on track and will work further on the spreadsheet today and in the days to come. Thanks for your patience! SY

€60,-
@stratophile. I give up... What's "farfignewton'???
Suzanne :)

@SYates
I saw this thread today so I might be late with my help. Has anybody from Slovenia volunteered for translation?

@SYates
I saw this thread today so I might be late with my help. Has anybody from Slovenia volunteered for translation?

You are not late at all! No volunteers from Slowenia yet! Also, please remember also if some of you speak 'only' English you still can add phrases/expressions that might be useful to other pilgrims to be translated. Buen Camino, SY

You are not late at all! No volunteers from Slowenia yet! Also, please remember also if some of you speak 'only' English you still can add phrases/expressions that might be useful to other pilgrims to be translated. Buen Camino, SY
OK, it's Slovenia (or Slowenien in German ...), forget it...
Where can I find/download etc. this phrase book? How do I start to help???

Nops, if I do what you write I get: o2222222222222222, need to check my keyboard settings then, SY

On an Apple computer, try clicking on EDIT on the finder top bar then scroll down to SPECIAL CHARACTERS. If you cannot find the accent you need there, it does not exist. I use this all the time.

After 35 years, and retiring, I switched from the IBM platforms to Apple in 2014 precisely so I would not have to do the "keyboard two-step" with special characters. Using Special Characters, you can save "favorites" to a separate sub-menu. So, I keep things like the €, $, £, é, ü, Ü, ṍ, and ¿ ready to hand as I tend to use these most often in a variety if languages. All you do is bring up the favorites menu and double-;eft click on the character you want and voila there it is!

Offline, I earlier suggested to Sybille that she consider listing all non-English words and phrases in the phonetic equivalent to automatically include pronunciation. On hind sight, I am thinking it should be up to the end user to exercise due diligence to learn local pronunciation. Perhaps including for each language: " How do I say this..." Ergo, I retract this suggestion, unless others think it a good one.

I hope this helps...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I actually start mapping out a 'Spanish Pronunciation Guide for Absolute Beginners' which will be, time permitting soon, be uploaded to the free resources section here. As for the Mac characters, the hold the key trick works fine on my shiny new Airbook but not on my older Mac Mini that can't be updated to a newer OS anymore. Here I use the special characters function. Many thanks and Buen Camino! SY

Could you please supply an address for whatever is currently online, as an hour of searching has not found me anything. I have tried to search the Camino Resource section but did not know what to call this. Am I mistaken in thinking that something is currently available?

At the moment the source file is solely available in Google docs. Please PM me your email and you can then edit/see it. As soon as there is enough material to be useful for all I will upload it to the free resources section here. SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I blush to admit that I have no idea to how send a PM and cannot seem to figure out how to do that either.

I blush to admit that I have no idea to how send a PM and cannot seem to figure out how to do that either.

Click either on my name, just under my pic here on the left side of this post or click private conversation in the top menu, as you start to type my user name my pic and full name should appear, click on it and bingo, we have a conversation! SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everybody!

SY
I think that it is a wonderful idea Sy.....I would be happy to contribute to it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.