• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Multiple disabilities?

katimoyer

Time of past OR future Camino
Unknown
Hello everyone!

I would like to walk the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago, and I wondered if anyone had any input on my situation.

I'm deaf (hearing a little with hearing aids). Will I be able to communicate? I read lips very well, I speak mostly normally and do know a fair amount of Spanish. I got along fine in Spain for a couple of weeks with a tour group but obviously this is different being by myself. Anything I should do to make people aware of my disability?

Also I have fibromyalgia. Mostly for me this means I walk very, very slow as a faster pace causes a lot of pain. I know the Camino is not a race but will I run into trouble being so slow? I'm not worried about how long the walk takes me (I'm retired) but the distance between albergues? Is it short?

Thanks for your help. I'm very appreciative.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kati.

I'm sure you'll have no problems on either front. Sounds like you'll communicate just the way you always do.

And re speed, you just need to remind yourself that its not a race. The Frances is busy enough that there are frequent places to stay. Just make sure you look ahead to know where you're at to plan accordingly if necessary. I am generally a fit and able bodied person and the hills kicked my butt, so that might be something you want to consider as you plan.

Hello everyone!

I would like to walk the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago, and I wondered if anyone had any input on my situation.

I'm deaf (hearing a little with hearing aids). Will I be able to communicate? I read lips very well, I speak mostly normally and do know a fair amount of Spanish. I got along fine in Spain for a couple of weeks with a tour group but obviously this is different being by myself. Anything I should do to make people aware of my disability?

Also I have fibromyalgia. Mostly for me this means I walk very, very slow as a faster pace causes a lot of pain. I know the Camino is not a race but will I run into trouble being so slow? I'm not worried about how long the walk takes me (I'm retired) but the distance between albergues? Is it short?

Thanks for your help. I'm very appreciative.
I think you will be just fine going slow, especially since you have no time constraints. I walk pretty slow, too. I see it as a positive as I can look around more at the scenery and have less possibility of injuries. If you had no trouble communicating in a tour group, I'm sure it will all work out for you on your solo Camino, as well. You will most likely connect with others (who walk slow, too) that you feel comfortable getting to know. To me your deafness doesn't sound like a disability! You knowing and speaking Spanish...all I can say is wow! I'm the one with that disability!
I wish you all the best,
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Kati Bosch and welcome to the forum. I don't think the hearing issue will be a problem at all, there is nothing different about the Camino to the rest of the world and English is widely spoken. I've found that the Spanish are very inclusive and kind and I'm sure if they realise you have a difficulty they will respond appropriately. In fact, I'd not hesitate to let people know - in the last 100km the locals are a bit "world weary" of so many pilgrims, but if they realise you need a bit of extra help they will be there for you. Being slow is not a problem either, and there are lots of places to stop between SarrĂ­a and Santiago, so you can choose the distances that suit you. As suggested above, you might want to consider booking your accommodation so you feel secure. If you do that, make sure you check the map to ensure the accommodation is right on the Camino - some of the booking sites make it sound like a place is close by - but that is by car, not foot.

Buen camino!

Welcome, Kati,
You'll be fine. I met a Korean pilgrim who had had polio as a kid and as a result could only walk very slowly about 5-10K a day. He did fine and was an inspiration to us all. (And yes, in most parts of the Frances it's possible to walk short stages if you need to.)
One suggestion is to have a printed and laminated card that you can show people informing them of your deafness, and letting them know how they can help--for example by not turning away while they're talking to you, or whatever...
I have to say, I am already inspired.
Ultreia and Buen Camino.

Hi @Kati Bosch and welcome. I met a pilgrim called Daniel last year who has cerebral palsy and had walked unaided all the way from St Jean with crutches. He just took it very very slowly, 90 days I think. He told me that sometimes people he met helped him by carrying his backpack, sometimes he carried it. He never needed to use transport. Only one time he could not find a bed and hospitaleros from the next village drove to get him and then dropped him back at that exact spot the next day. When I met him he was walking just about as slowly as anyone could walk without standing still. I saw him a long way ahead and could hardly believe it. But he was walking!

Here is a link to the merged threads by various people who met him and were wondering how he got on:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...land-walking-with-crutches.41686/#post-432339
He is such a fun guy as well as a brave one.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
..have a printed and laminated card that you can show people informing them of your deafness, and letting them know how they can help--for example by not turning away while they're talking to you...
Good advice - I would get a description of your disability too, and get a native speaker with medical knowledge to translate both for you. You would then have a double sided laminated card which covers all eventualities and will save so much hassle. Daniel got a lot of help because his disability was obvious, so just make sure you communicate your needs and no doubt you will too.

Also choose your season carefully to preferably avoid the most crowded times. There is a resource on the forum with an amazing graph that helps you do this: Camino Resources tab at the top of the page.

I don't know you and your condition, but if you want to walk further and have the time, don't feel you have to limit yourself to starting at Sarria.

Last edited:
Kati

I really admire what you are doing and allowing yourself being vulnerable by outlining your own personal challenges. In terms of verbal communication with anyone providing services I would imagine there will be minimal difficulties as the transactions you handle on the camino on albergues, tourist offices, cafes or supermarkets are all fairly standard and get communicated mostly through pointing rather than anything else. There are only so many ways to order a coffee, order from a menu or to ask where the showers are...so I would see any challenges as being very surmountable.

In terms of pace and distances the part of frances I have done is easily done in chunks but in any part of the camino I have been I have found that there has always been a fantastic local bus service, so if there is one chunk that becomes difficult there is always another way!

So I wouldn't underestimate that there will be some challenges, but I wouldn't underestimate either your own abilities and creativity to respond to them, or the support you will receive from those around you..

Have a great trip!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You should carry a laminated card (or cards) that explain your limitations. I have one that I made in 8 x 5 inch format (letter-sized paper folded in two). My card is an ICE Card (In Case of Emergency) contact and information card. If I am found unconscious or unresponsive, this card provides enough basic information about me to get me sorted medically.

The card(s) should be in Spanish (larger and more prominent) with the English translation underneath (perhaps smaller text). If you are going to walk in Portugal, do a translation of the card in Portuguese/English as well.

This card(s) should simply state your issue / limitation. Perhaps a second paragraph explaining the things you might have difficulty with to elaborate, but no more information is needed. There IS such a thing as TMI for the situation.

ON THE REVERSE of the card(s), or folded sheet(s), write out several key questions that you might need to ask immediately on arrival. Examples include:

Urgent Phrases (examples)

(E) = Espanol (P) = Portugues (I) = Inglese / English

(E) Por favor, ¿dónde está el baño?
(P) Por favor, era o banheiro?
(I) Please, were is the toilet?

(E) ÂżPuedo beber algo de agua, por favor?
(P) Posso beber água por favor?
(I) May I have some water to drink please?

(E) Soy un peregrino(a) en mi camino a Santiago.
(P) Eu sou um peregrino no meu caminho para Santiago.
(I) I am a pilgrim on my way to Santiago.

(E) ÂżTienes una cama / habitaciĂłn para mĂ­ esta noche?
(P) VocĂŞ tem uma cama / quarto para mim esta noite?
(I) Do you have a bed / room for me tonight?

(E) ÂżPuedo quedarme aquĂ­ esta noche?
(P) Posso ficar aqui esta noite?
(I) May I stay here tonight?

(E) ¿Cuánto costará?
(P) Quanto isso vai custar?
(I) How much will that cost?

(E) ÂżDonde esta la farmacia mas cercana?
(P) Onde fica a farmácia mais próxima?
(I) Where is the nearest pharmacy?

(E) ¿Dónde está la tienda / supermercado más cercano?
(P) Onde Ă© a loja mais prĂłxima / supermercado?
(I) Where is the nearest shop / supermarket?

(E) No me siento bien.
(P) NĂŁo me sinto bem.
(I) I do not feel well.

(E) Estoy débil, cansado, mareado, caliente, frío, hambriento, sediento.
(P) Estou fraco, cansado, tonto, quente, frio, com fome, sede.
(I) I am faint, tired, dizzy, hot, cold, hungry, thirsty.

(E) Tengo dolor (punto a lugar) ...
(P) Eu tenho dor (aponte para colocar) ...
(I) I have pain (point to place)...

NOTE: These are Google Translate translations. Caveat Emptor... I store this file in my iPhone as a Notes file. I can bring it up needed.

That said, I hope this helps.

My advice, because of your hearing issue, would be to walk on the right hand side of the path consistently, unlike everybody else it seems, so that you don't get run over by the speeding cyclists, who, even if and when they ring their bell, catch us by surprise at the last minute with hardly any time to jump out of their way.

My advice, because of your hearing issue, would be to walk on the right hand side of the path consistently, unlike everybody else it seems, so that you don't get run over by the speeding cyclists, who, even if and when they ring their bell, catch us by surprise at the last minute with hardly any time to jump out of their way.
Amen! So true!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
you will do just fine, as for your hearing, just do the age old remedy, point to your ears and shake your head/hands, they will get the message! that is the nice thing about the camino, the people who do it are invariably nice! ......and as for your speed - no problem! go as slow as you want, it really is not an issue, have a wonderful Camino and if you pass a man wearing a bush hat and who is shaking badly, it will be me, as I have Parkinsons, Buen Camino

I think you will be fine. A gentle warning though, there are scam artists on the camino that go up to pilgrims with printed materials saying they are deaf and dumb and seek money for a cause. You will certainly not be taken for one of them except maybe at your introduction. I'm saying this so you can understand why people may be leery right at the first.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think Kati probably already knows what to do, being deaf, whether using a card with words or just speaking to people. That said, everyone has offered good advise on walking and it will all be fine. People she meets along the way, most likely will be compassionate and helpful, like so many of us have experienced ourselves.

Thank you everyone for all your advice and help. It's greatly appreciated! Now I need to do some more reading up / research on the Camino itself, buy a few supplies and then just make my travel arrangements to get there, it looks like.

Thank you again!

There are a few sections with larger distances between towns - for example on the Meseta there is a 17km section right after Carrion de los Condes. If that is too far for 1 day, consider taking a bus or taxi. Lots of people take buses or taxis for part of the way for various reasons - injury, illness, physical limitation, time limitation, etc. Since you will walk slow, I would make sure to consult maps each day and know how far apart the towns - that will help you plan, decide where to stop, determine if you should take a taxi or bus. And, if you do get to your desired stopping point in a day and find that all of the beds in that town or village are taken, and you don't have the energy to continue to the next town, don't be shy about getting a taxi. You can also ask the people running a full albergue to call ahead to let another albergue know that you are coming and to save you a spot - if you decide to continue on by foot or in a car.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congratulations on your willingness to step outside your comfort zone. I do not think you will find any language barrier due to your lack of hearing. I think having some important information and necessary sentences printed in Spanish would ease some of your mental stress. Multi-language phrase books are also helpful in that you run into many nationalities along the way, and sometimes being able to point to the phrase is much easier than speaking it.

In regards to your fibromyalgia, we have a friend with the same affliction and she completed the entire CF last year in 32 days. Are you able walk longer distances, but slowly so you will arrive later in the day? If so, you have the option of pre-booking private albergues for the main stages several days in advance as you go to reduce the stress of "no room at the inn".
I think you may find your slow pace a blessing in disguise in that you have a chance to make things last longer than the rest of us who feel compelled to follow Brierley's guidance. Most of us have a love/hate relationship with that guy, but he does provide a lot of pertinent information, even on those less important villages along the way.

If you are not running to "the top of the page", you will find there are plenty of little places along the way that are not as in demand, and thus have availability to those on a more relaxed pace. As you are going between Sarria and Santiago, you will not have any long stretches to deal with. I remember that stretch as having many quaint towns and hamlets with Casa Rurales, and Pensiones, as well as albergues. You can only walk as far as the next town - sometimes they are only several kilometers in between each other, so you can travel just about as far as you want any day.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Go for it! I have all kinds of stuff messed up with me and gonna do it again for the 3rd time. Diabetes, cancer, high bp, high colesteral, and probably a few more, but I don't really worry about it...just deal with it and the world will keep spinning, and the sun will rise in the morning.

Hi Katie! I am a really slow walker also. It made me comfortable to book accomodations at least a day ahead so I did not have to worry about where I was staying. One thing you can do if talking on the telephone presents a challenge because of hearing is ask the hospitalero of your albergue to call ahead for you to a place for the next night, explaining that you go slowly and that hearing prevents you from calling ahead yourself. I think it will be fine! Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.