• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Multiple Severe Allergies and other problems

Pathfinder075

Time of past OR future Camino
Various Routes in (2016), (2017) and (2023).
My intention is to walk from Lourdes in early September, but at the minute my medical problems are putting a dampener on the planning. Has anyone (on here) done the walk with a severe anaphlaxis problem to multiple allergens? I am allergic to nuts, olives, sesame, almonds and a multitude of other things. Contact with any of the above, but mainly peanuts, almonds and olives requires adrenaline, steroids and large amounts of piriton to deal with it. The problem isnt so much dealing with it, when it happens, ive become quite a master at that in the last 4 years, its more the avoiding coming into contact with them in the first place. Obviously im walking through a country that grows olives and uses them in its cooking, i will guess almonds are fairly prevalent too, along with other types of nuts. I can react to just the smell of them, but ingestion still causes the worst reaction.

My intention is to probably camp on my walk to allow some insulation from allergens. I will probably cook my own food too, as i just cant risk eating out. This adds a bit of weight to the pack and adds in some additional planning.

I also wonder how much adrenaline to carry, but that is something i probably need to talk to my doctor about. Generally i carry 2-3 epipens, but in researching these, ive noticed some higher dosage pens have become available, so i could probably carry 3 pens but with more adrenaline on board.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, i would be much appreciative of it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I feel your pain :( I was allergic to everything when I was a kid (luckily outgrew all my allergies). I was the one looking at fish in a fish bowl instead of cuddling up with a warm puppy. You are correct about the olives growing along the CF, not sure how bad your allergies are, but you will be walking right beside the plants at some points :( The nuts shouldn't be a problem, except while eating (salads, etc.), but as you plan to cook your own food, that shouldn't be a problem. I am sure you could order food according to your allergens, as vegans and others with certain diets do not seem to have a problem eating along the Camino. You should talk to your doctor and see how much he thinks you need, and also, how much you will be allowed to carry (assuming you are an international traveler) across the border. Sorry couldn't be more helpful :( Buen Camino!! and Good Luck :)

Hola and welcome to the forum

I read your post and although I do not suffer from anaphlaxis I became interested and have just now read up a little online.
As you write the countries you are walking in use a lot of the products you are allergic to, but I think this could be valid for many countries.
A lot of countries probably use similar methods and ingredients so I think a way to approach your walk is to do as you normally do at home, and focus on cooking your own food.
Although this can sound like a major struggle, I remember a diabetic I walked with and witnessed the work he had to endure along his Camino.
A Camino than in his case spanned more than 2000 km, so it was an inspiration to experience his walk :)

On more practical matters, you should check up on the system in France and Spain, whether the adrenaline pens are prescription only or over the counter sales.
Regardless, I would recommend to bring a prescription from your doctor just in case.
Some countries uses medical passports to bring medicine across borders, which may also be relevant in your case.
Also, I think some written note in French and Spanish stating your condition as well as an emergency guide for a bystander could be helpful.

Finally, when you write that the smell of almond or other nuts can result in an allergic reaction, I am thinking if you should consider walking in another season of the year?
The autumn is the season where exposure may be at its highest.
But then again, I do not know how severe your allergy is and how careful you need to be.
A good thing about the season you are walking in is that there will be plenty of fruits to feast on. :)

One day at the time and you will be fine.
Happy planning your Camino.
Lettinggo

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for both of your replies.

I never considered that autumn would be a bad choice, but thinking about it, most of the olives and almonds will be ready for picking. I was rather hoping to do it at a time when their was less possibility of snow and rain, but at the same time it wasnt baking hot. But in some ways rain would be better, as a way of dampening everything down, but still walking 600 miles in the rain could be not so fun. :p

Adrenaline is prescription only, in most countries, as far as i know. It can be sourced nevertheless, and I would be carrying spare prescriptions. Also one of the allergy websites over here (in the UK) does a set of cards that you can get made with the allergens you react to, and what should be done, people called in an emergency, and they can be made in French and Spanish without a problem. Those will be carried on me. The main issue, is if i have a problem, i really dont want to be having to find hospitals in a foreign country, where i speak very little of the local language. I can carry most of the drugs and equipment i need to get by in the event of a problem, and some advice given to me by a doctor friend a couple of years back (regarding riding around europe on my motorcycle) was to treat it like i was walking across the sahara, ie, i should carry everything i need to deal with it on me, and that includes a blood pressure monitor and sats/hr meter. Basically ive never needed more than 1mg of adrenaline to stop a reaction, so my aim would be to carry double that, and if worst case occured, carry enough steroids to use almost everyday, should it be required.

I kind of forgot to mention the asthma and eczema, but i got those as well, but they are easy to deal with.

Food, well i was looking at lightweight, high carb and veg, so probably rice and veg as a staple, with fruit. It just needs to give me energy and be lightweight. Maybe topped off with the odd glass of wine occasionally.

A new discovery may well scupper these plans completely. Apparently the vast majority of insurance companies wont grant you it, if you've been hospitalised within 2 years of applying. Unfortunately I have been hospitalised over 30 times in the last 2 years. I need to do a lot more research on this aspect, as travel insurance will be a must for this trip.

Hola Pathfinder

Another thought that came into mind is, that you may want to read up on Camino Norte in Spain.
It is a wonderful walk and as it is along the coast, the weather is more fresh and with less agriculture.
Boiled fish may be a dish you could become custom with on that route.

Regarding weather and walking in rain, it is what it is, but of course I can see an issue with the season regarding sleeping in a tent.
Maybe a summer or spring walk would be the safest.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

My concern for you would be that there is a lot of fried food on the Caminos, presumably cooked in olive oil. This would I expect include tortillas etc and the grills may have been wiped with olive oil to prevent food sticking. However the plus side is that in Spain they do not put dressing on the salad, the dressings including oil are on the table for you to help yourself. Ensalada Mixta is usually lettuce, onion, egg, tuna etc with olives maybe, but the waiters are very helpful at leaving things out. Also in Spain in our experience food is freshly prepared not pre-packed so less preservatives etc.
We have allergy problems in the UK which do not occur in Spain, but ours are preservative and artificial sweetener related - it is useful to know your 'E-numbers' where possible.
On insurance some companies will let you pay a higher premium, or allow you certain problems but I can see that multiple allergies must be a bad situation for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pathfinder, you mention nuts in general as well as almonds. When we walked through Galicia last October, often we were walking on Beech mast and fallen Walnuts. It was lovely for us of course, but if Walnuts also are a problem for you, not so good for you at all. We have a peanut allergic son, and although the major problem is ingestion, the smell can set him off too. As you will be very familiar with, cross contamination is something that is very difficult to control for. I am imagining all those pilgrims in the Alburgues with trail mix and nuts in their backpacks (and particles on their clothing) as emergency rations. Thinking of you, whatever you decide to do

Oooops, just saw that you're planning to camp and not stay in the Alburgues ....... So ignore my bit about that .... Sorry

I did make a long post the other day, but i see it has ended up in the bit bucket.

I am going to postpone this, as much as i hate to do so. Next April is probably as good a time to start it, and if not April, then possible May.

The other possibility, is i get a well paid job and do it in August. :p Unlikely though, but a ferry to Santander or Blibao isnt that bad for a foot passenger in terms of cost, and i can probably cut the expenditure while on my walk to a bare minimum if im cooking my own food and pitching off the beaten track per se.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Pathfinder075 - the ferry to Bilbao is not recommended for foot passengers, but for Santander you arrive in the heart of the city. Costs - if you book 3 nights accomodation it becomes a package tour and the costs are nearly as low as just the passage, provided you choose the lower priced hotels. The Carlos ll in Santander, these on the Norte - Colegiata in Santillana del Mar, Miramar in San Vicente de la Barquera - we have stayed in all of these previously. This year we will stay in the Rosa Rosae in Santiago for our 3 nights. Ferry to Santander from Plymouth late March to the end of October. I think all year to Bilbao from Portsmouth and maybe Santander too but we never go that way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.