• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Multipurpose shoes for shower and town?

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
Hola Peregrinos.
I am trying to find a good compromise. I am dealing with heel pain from tendinitis and
want to only bring one extra pair of shoes to use walking around town, shower and as a back up for hiking (if needed). Is this possible?
I have rubberized quasi recovery flipflops but they are not very stable, plus an old pair of camel type sandals.but that would mean taking 3 pairs of shoes, which seems like a bad idea.
I am considering hoka recovery sandals or a waterproof camel type sandal
Any experience or suggestions with either, or what you have done if you have wonky feet?
😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Peregrinos.
I am trying to find a good compromise. I am dealing with heel pain from tendinitis and
want to only bring one extra pair of shoes to use walking around town, shower and as a back up for hiking (if needed). Is this possible?
I have rubberized quasi recovery flipflops but they are not very stable, plus an old pair of camel type sandals.but that would mean taking 3 pairs of shoes, which seems like a bad idea.
Any experience or suggestions with either, or what you have done if you have wonky feet?
😊
I used a pair of Crocs for shower and town. Worked just fine for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Birkenstock EVA Arizona. I used them last year for both shower and walking around town. Can wear them barefoot or with socks (always a classy look..) they have great arch support.
Also super lightweight

https://www.birkenstock.com/es/ariz...sd95GaxEpP9WbNZmqRCjzmkbrcqUEW1BoCmY0QAvD_BwE
I second this. They work really well for my arthritic feet, providing support and comfort. And they're fun, since they come in a very wide variety of colors (and I like to color coordinate tee-shirts and shoes).

Regular Flipflops worked perfectly for me for as well shower and town. For colder evenings, i bring "finger socks" which are significantly lighter than an extra pair of shoes.
But no idea if that works for your medical situation.
Same with me.

I think a separate pair of shower shoes is not a bad idea, I brought 3 pairs of shoes last time and it worked well for me. If you feel like you need something specific to support your feet at the end of the day, don’t try too hard to make them do double duty. Also, as some people have mentioned to me, it’s kinda gross if you walk outside and then wear those shoes right into the shower. To me, a cheap pair of flip flops weighs so little that it’s worth having them along.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I bring Teva sandals for town walking and shower . In fact I have used them for flat walking on the trail . After wearing hiking shoes all day my feet loved the ventilation of sandals around town. Your shoes need airing too

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Peregrinos.
😊

Best recommendation is either something like Crocs or the EVA foam Birkenstock (or generic types). Hang them securely on the outside of your rucksack. A strap with a side clip buckle is a good choice.

I favor bright, Neon colors, as they can be spotted from a distance if accidentally dropped on the way. The bright color also makes it relatively less likely that someone else would covet them, and “borrow” them.

The good news is that you find inexpensive, generic replacements at any China shop or Oriental Bazar type store along your route of travel.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I had heal pain and a rather severe case of plantar fasciitis. My research led me to Telic flip flops. I purchased on Amazon. A quick look now and they are far more expensive than I paid. I believe there are other identical shoes made by same manufacturer but different brand. I was very pleased with the relief they provided after a long walk. They can also go in shower and are light weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think a separate pair of shower shoes is not a bad idea, I brought 3 pairs of shoes last time and it worked well for me. If you feel like you need something specific to support your feet at the end of the day, don’t try too hard to make them do double duty. Also, as some people have mentioned to me, it’s kinda gross if you walk outside and then wear those shoes right into the shower. To me, a cheap pair of flip flops weighs so little that it’s worth having them along.
Totally agree - wearing street shoes into the shower is very unsanitary as well as inconsiderate of the next pilgrims to use that shower. A simple lightweight pair of non-slip flipflops solves the problem.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Texas. And with socks can do for a day of walking. My daughter walked the while camino in them, but she is young.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Oofos recovery sandals. They offer both flip flops and slides (and maybe other options). I took flip flops, used them in the shower and around town. Easy to clean off for the next shower. I also took toe socks if it were cold walking around town in them. Did not wear them as a long distance walking option so don't know how well suited they are for that. Probably not good on steep hills or really rough terrain (think down from Cruz Ferro) but probably fine for the meseta.

Birkenstock. Actually bought them for stream crossings in the Sierras but they work amazingly well for both the shower and after hiking. Also give my feet time to air out and are super light. They look pretty dorky and I have to confess I made fun of people who wore sandals, especially birkenstocks for years. Karma is real.

I personally bring a pair of Tevas or Xero shoes to use in town and in the shower and I can hike in them if necessary. I don't bring a 3rd pair of shoes.
I second the Tevas. I've hiked in them once or twice because of blisters. And they are waterproof and great for walking around town. And not too heavy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Keens hiking sandals with the rubber toes are my backup hiking sandals and I wear them after hiking for night time. I take a cheap plastic shower cap that I wear on my feet in the showers, weighs nothing, dries overnight, keeps feet hygienic in the showers & you can pore soap in the cap to wash your feet.

Keens hiking sandals with the rubber toes are my backup hiking sandals and I wear them after hiking for night time. I take a cheap plastic shower cap that I wear on my feet in the showers, weighs nothing, dries overnight, keeps feet hygienic in the showers & you can pore soap in the cap to wash your feet.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I took heavy Tevas on my first camino. After that, it's been Crocs every time, including my upcoming trip soon. They are so light, perfect for the shower and have logged hundreds of miles of city walking. Mine are called Croc Swiftwater Sandals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used the Teva Hurricane drift after I was done walking for the day.

Same material as crocs - they are as light or lighter. Moderate arch support. Super comfortable and come in many colors for men and women.

Attachments

• IMG_4706.jpeg
    IMG_4706.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 35
My second pair of shoes are Keen hiking sandals. These shoes were sturdy enough to hike all day as a change up from boots (2023) or trail runners (2022). They are equally at home in wet environments. Sturdy and well made, there are various types, styles, and price points. Here is an example of one style sold at REI.

I also use the Keen Newport sandal. Bought the first pair in Burgos to replace boots that were too tight, took me 68 years to figure out the right size. Wear them most of the time now, even when at home. My main hiking shoe is the Keen Targhee II Waterproof in a 13 1/2 wide. I found it very hard to find a shoe that fits and in a wide. The Newport has the same great fit and I can use it to hike in if necessary.

Last edited:
Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Keens snubnose sandals for me. Takes a beating wet/dry, never get stinky. Also can be a light walker trade-off.

Crocs. Or in my case a cheap imitation of them. Not the height of fashion but light and comfortable.
They get my vote too. I had a cheap Aldi pair that did me for the Portuguese.

You could also send a pair of shoes via Correos post restant for when you arrive in SdC or another way point.

I am thinking same : to bring sandals that can do dual duty hiking/shower. Tried Keen Newport and Teva Omnium. Both great choices but didn't fit comfortably. I found Hoka One One Hopara and they are super comfortable. I leave for SJDdP soon with these Hoka and a pair of Saucony Peregrine 11. Seriously considering a separate pair of flipflops ... but seem unnecessary. Thoughts welcomed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used the Teva Hurricane drift after I was done walking for the day.

Same material as crocs - they are as light or lighter. Moderate arch support. Super comfortable and come in many colors for men and women.
So good to know about these. Thanks!! I like how Tevas fit me. Mine aren't terribly heavy but these sound perfect. I just ordered a pair.

Just a heads up for newer pilgrims, at albergues you will be asked to remove your hiking footwear at the door and store them in a rack or cabinet near the front door. You will want something else to wear in the albergue. Many people have lightweight flipflops or crocs or sandals tucked into the top or side pocket of their pack for this purpose so they can slip off the hiking shoes and slip on their "albergue" shoes.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Have you looked into Oofos?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I took my hiking boots and a pair of crocs and I found that was all I needed.
I hope you have a great Camino. Don’t forget your pebble from your hometown to place at the foot of the Cruz de Ferro. Buen Camino.

I just got a pair of Hoka Ora 3 slides and love them for around the house. I haven't really walked around town yet other than a couple of short dog walks, but they were fine for that. I'm not a flip flop person.

I've have a pair of Classic Crocs and I like them a lot, they are probably my favorite non work shoe. They're not good for any sustained walking for me, but are very comfortable for running errands with the car, but the new Hokas have them beat for overall comfort. I also have a pair of Crocs Light Rides, they're slightly heavier than regular crocs but have a soft supportive sole more like the Hokas. The name is for the soft feeling on your foot not their weight. the Light Rides are slightly narrower than regular Crocs

Another vote for Crocs here. Attach to a pack with a carabiner without adding much weight. Come in lots of fun styles / colors - mine had daisies. Sturdy enough for walking around town but also work well as shower shoes. Can accommodate socks or no depending on temperature. Pretty much indestructible.

Plus I never felt dorky because so many other pilgrims had them, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oofos! Great recovery shoe, extremely light. Walk about town, showers, etc. They make several styles to choose from. Price wise more than Crocs but also WAY MORE comfortable.

Totally agree - wearing street shoes into the shower is very unsanitary as well as inconsiderate of the next pilgrims to use that shower. A simple lightweight pair of non-slip flipflops solves the problem.
I disagree. Bringing a 3rd pair of shoes, even flip flops, should not be required, in order to risk others thinking it is "unsanitary or inconsiderate". That is the reason that others wear their own shoes into the shower!!

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Glad you posted this question LG60 - I've been wondering the same thing. Flip-flops hurt my feet and I dont want 3 prs!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@littlegreen60 - I have been trying out a pair of Hoka recovery sandals and am debating them or my keens? Some observations in case it is helpful - just over 2 oz weight difference (Hoka was a wee bit lighter 5.2 oz) Hoka are a lot narrower and I feel the sides and less stable than in the keens. I would not feel comfortable hiking in the Hoka recovery sandals but would in the keens! Both let my feet breath! A6304B9C-CA3F-4077-ABF3-24BFC0FF9C9C.jpeg

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I haven't done the Camino, yet. But I have had good success on other trips with Keen sandals. Sort of a hybrid shoe/sandal that can get wet and be a great comfy shoe for walking and like hiking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wore a no-name pair of colorful and lightweight sandals in the evenings, around town, and to this day. I could carry them on the outside of my pack with a loop and carabiner that I could also use to keep my Hokas together overnight. These sandals helped with the plantar fasciitis I occasionally deal with as well.

Attachments

• Camino Sandals.jpg
    Camino Sandals.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 18
I found a shoe that seems to fit the bill. Very lightweight, seems supportive enough and will shape to the foot. Probably not a full hiking sandal but will work in a pinch i think.
I'm gonna go for it.

Sharing below

QUANDELI Walking Sandals Women,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R1K82CX?tag=casaivar02-20

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516_225317_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230516_225317_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 19
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I second the Tevas. I've hiked in them once or twice because of blisters. And they are waterproof and great for walking around town. And not too heavy.
I am 2 weeks into my Camino, which included the Aragonese route, and I’m doing it in Tevas. Using Oofos in the evening and around town. I considered Crocs instead, but after trying both in a shoe store, found the Oofos SO much better. Definitely worth it.

I walk with plantar fasciitis and find that my Crocs are so wonderful for sore heels at the end of the day. They are perfect for the shower, perfect for sore heels, they are Great walking on cobblestones in the towns, they are very lightweight but they are bulky. The younger people add little charms to them and they become the height of fashion ( but you do need to be under 20 regarding fashion!). Croc sandals don’t give the same heel relief as the original crocs. If you really want to help soothe your poor heels then go for crocs as I found hiking sandals, thongs/flip flops, etc just don’t give any heel relief.

Cheap crocs for me as well. I find the Crocs originals too rigid and therefore less flexible for my feet than the cheaper versions.

Oofos recovery sandals. They offer both flip flops and slides (and maybe other options). I took flip flops, used them in the shower and around town. Easy to clean off for the next shower. I also took toe socks if it were cold walking around town in them. Did not wear them as a long distance walking option so don't know how well suited they are for that. Probably not good on steep hills or really rough terrain (think down from Cruz Ferro) but probably fine for the meseta.
I did this as well, worked perfectly and I am prone to planter fasciitis

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ll second this. They are light and clip easily on the back of your pack.
Be careful hanging them from your pack. My Croc sandals shrunk this way! (I also had some regular Crocs at home and kept them outside by my backdoor. Those also shrunk.) I am not sure if it's the heat or the sunlight that does this, but it's a thing. I suspect the heat. I am bringing Birkenstock EVAs this time and will keep them in my pack.

Birkenstock EVA Arizona. I used them last year for both shower and walking around town. Can wear them barefoot or with socks (always a classy look..) they have great arch support.
Also super lightweight

https://www.birkenstock.com/es/ariz...sd95GaxEpP9WbNZmqRCjzmkbrcqUEW1BoCmY0QAvD_BwE
Love my Berks. Super lightweight like crocs but I imagine the foot bed is more anatomically designed than crocs. Super useful when your primary footwear is causing problems so you can walk long distances with them but lightweight and great for skanky showers!

Be careful hanging them from your pack. My Croc sandals shrunk this way! (I also had some regular Crocs at home and kept them outside by my backdoor. Those also shrunk.) I am not sure if it's the heat or the sunlight that does this, but it's a thing. I suspect the heat. I am bringing Birkenstock EVAs this time and will keep them in my pack.
For me, no problem with sunlight. But sticking them in the dryer on the other hand was a mistake I made only once!

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I use flip flops by Archies. They are good quality flip flops that have arch support, the straps are molded as part of the shoe so they are less likely to snap and there is a mild heel cup. They are waterproof too. I have 3 pairs. They are in men’s & women’s sizing. They also just launched a slip on sandal that doesn’t have the toe piece. They are available to order online. I live in Canada and they ship from here. I have a friend in Europe who ordered from there and they were shipped from there. I believe they have shipping spots in many countries. I just love them.

I used to wear flipflops, but my joints and tendons are not so happy with flipflops anymore. On my last Camino I took my Teva sandals, which are great for around town. But for the shower/walking to the toilet at night I would prefer slip-on shoes. So now I am doubting between Crocs and Birkenstocks Arizona EVA...

20230427_122551.jpg
I found these, with non slip soles , at our local sports centre. They were great for padding to / from the showers. Very light weight.
I have walking sandals for after walk wear and sometimes change into these if my feet need a change mid walk.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
In 2019 I walked CF from late September to November; from searing heat to snow on the mountains. On my previous two Camino's I suffered from blisters and then prior to leaving in 2019, I had a bit of tendonitis in my foot. My 2nd shoe was Vivobarefoot. They're a lot more expensive now, but 4 years on I'm still walking in them. They are a lot more stable than jandals (flipflops) and croc. When it got cold I wore mine with socks. Perfect for the beach as they're waterproof, easy to walk on sand or stony beaches; so good investment.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
For shower and walking around town I would use Crocs, they are slso very lightweight. Don't think they would work well on the trail though.

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
I used plastic Birkstocks (Arizona style). Light weight, easy to rinse and dry/ comfy- highly recommend

Hola Peregrinos.
😊
Crocs, flip flops or synthetic sandals. You want lots of cushion to give the feet a break and you want god ventilation to allow the feet to breath and dry out. And you want something light so as to not add too much weight to your pack.

I, too am struggling to find a shoe that is closed toe, suitable for cooler weather, light weight, and I can wear post-walk in villages as well as use as an "emergency" walking shoe.

Flip flops are out as they are open toe. Berk's too. I've never worn crocs but they seem like it would be hard to fit them in a pack.

I, too am struggling to find a shoe that is closed toe, suitable for cooler weather, light weight, and I can wear post-walk in villages as well as use as an "emergency" walking shoe.

I used to carry neoprene beach shoes with a thick rubber sole as my footwear for use in albergues and around the village but I prefer Crocs these days. I have no problem fitting them in my pack but I have sometimes used elastic cords to tie them to the pack lid.

81-BcEkROWL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used to carry neoprene beach shoes with a thick rubber sole as my footwear for use in albergues and around the village but I prefer Crocs these days. I have no problem fitting them in my pack but I have sometimes used elastic cords to tie them to the pack lid.

View attachment 149433
Did you find that sand/other debris collected in the beach shoes? That is what worries me about anything "mesh". But maybe on a short walk...
What type of crocs do you wear?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
give the dog a laxative? ;)
Samarkand

or did you mean to replace the dog?

Samarkand
"...they've been hard to replace."

While it is possible the dog is non-binary, it is hard for us to know, and generally I don't think we use "they" to refer to singular dogs. Much more likely it is the plural crocs that need replacing.

While it is possible the dog is non-binary, it is hard for us to know, and generally I don't think we use "they" to refer to singular dogs. Much more likely it is the plural crocs that need replacing.
Definitely the crocs.

Well, singular they has been used for some centuries if this OED blog is to be believed, well before its recent adoption to refer to non-binary people. What is unclear is whether you are objecting to that, or to its application to the dog.

I second this. They work really well for my arthritic feet, providing support and comfort. And they're fun, since they come in a very wide variety of colors (and I like to color coordinate tee-shirts and shoes).
And they are very lightweight

Well, singular they has been used for some centuries if this OED blog is to be believed, well before its recent adoption to refer to non-binary people. What is unclear is whether you are objecting to that, or to its application to the dog.
Singular they certainly has been used, when the gender of the person is unknown or purposely unspecified ("someone left their hiking poles behind; I hope they remember and come back for them soon"). I've never heard it before from someone speaking about their own dog. So it was the application to the dog that seemed unlikely.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.