• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal Albergue in Leon is closing

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looks like it is going to have to be the Parador for me!

Seriously I do hope that there will be a way to accomodate all the pilgrims in Leon. That municipal took in a large number of people.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Do you know when they are closing please? I am starting my camino there this Saturday and I planned to get my credencial there! where else in León can I obtain credencial otherwise?

Hi, Kikka,
Don't worry, you can get your credencial in either the cathedral or in the other albergue, which is in the historical center of Leon, in the convent of the Carbajalas nuns.

Buen camino to you! Laurie

Don't count on Logrono either. Waited there until 4 PM today only to be met by an unpologetic guy who told us to go away. Nor Villamayor de Monjardin, where the "open all year" is decidedly
not (doors locked Tuesday; no phone Number posted. The CR there is also closed, as was
The bar st 4 PM (posted hours 0700 - 2000).

Thank God for Semana Santa. They'll be Open soon for that windfall.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a shame I stayed there last month and preferred it to the other albergie in Leon run by the nuns as far as I know it's open now.

An alternative to stopping in Leon, about eight or nine kms. further is the village La Virgen Del Camino. It has one of the nicest Albergues of the Camino. Capacity is limited however.

peregrina2000 said:
From a friend in Madrid, I've learned that the municipal albergue in Leon will close
Yes, the municipality of León is taking some drastic saving measures, and not only by closing the albergue.
Similar action may possibly happen to other municipal albergues along the Camino. They either raise the fee or keep premises for occasional activities like summer camps.
No such things as a free meal in Spain anymore!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If a municipal albergue which was receiving almost €1.000.00 a week in order to stay open has to close, we should really consider the wonderful work that the Donativo albergues do.

I have been amazed a the tiny bits of 'moneda' that well and expensively equipped pilgrims were giving as a donativo..

Unless each of us who can afford it gives what is a just and reasonable donativo these wonderful places which are the very spirit of the Camino may have to close too. Don't just think of the cost of food and hot water, but try to imagine what the maintenance cost of these buildings over a year must be. Think of your own home and the cost of getting a roof repaired or a new plumbing system in.

I know this post will bring 'coals of fire' down on my head, and I have tried not to be judgmental and even say 'Well, maybe family and friends donated all that superb gear!!!!'
But I have heard of them talk of lifestyles that equate with big money and still they think that coins are a proper donativo.

I would suggest the the equivalent of the cost of night in a casa rural and a pilgrim menu would help keep these wonderful places open, if you can afford it.

On the thread "One Albergue that you would not miss" these parochial and confraternity albergues have been the most popular so as the saying goes "Put your money where your mouth is"

I wish all pilgrims well and may you always find a roof under which to sleep.

Lydia

Lydia Gillen said:
I have been amazed a the tiny bits of 'moneda' that well and expensively equipped pilgrims were giving as a donativo..

Unless each of us who can afford it gives what is a just and reasonable donativo these wonderful places which are the very spirit of the Camino may have to close too. Don't just think of the cost of food and hot water, but try to imagine what the maintenance cost of these buildings over a year must be. Think of your own home and the cost of getting a roof repaired or a new plumbing system in.
Lydia, I totally agree with you. Sometimes I watch what people give in as a "donation". I have heard comments , such as "well it's free, isn't it? I know, and have met certain circumstances, where a Pilgrim really hopes and needs to be able to find shelter for the night, possibly without paying anything, BUT these situations are rare. It can happen! (but it shouildn't happen for the duration of a Pilgrimage)!
However, for a Pilgrim who has already stayed in several albergues along the Way, they should know and understand by now, that there are costs involved in keeping an albergue open and running. It's not just the bed - it's everything else. Please, everyone who reads this thread be generous in your donation when you stay in a "donativo albergue" - be more than generous - even if you might be sleeping on the floor a thin bed mat! Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wholeheartedly agree! I've often found that the donativo albergues were special places and paid more for the pleasure of staying there than I would have if they had set a price.

It's humbling to be the recipient of the care shown to pilgrims on the Camino. If we want future pilgrims to have the same level of care then we need to contribute to the financial needs of the albergues and the communities through which we walk. This is particularly so at the moment with the financial difficulties the Spanish people are facing.

Some pilgrims are walking on a strict budget and it's not for us to judge how much they should pay (if anything). Often they give back in other ways. For those of us who don't have monetary constraints, it's not going to break the bank to give a little extra.

Well, the municipal albergue in Leon was just a part of the big youth hostel, wasn't it? I mean is the whole youth hostel closing or what?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rebekah Scott said:
Contrary to popular belief, there never was a free meal on the camino. Somebody always had to pay for it, somehow.
TANSTAAFL, as I read somewhere.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

As I say often in Dutch: "Gratis bestaat niet"

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But on the bright side, there's plenty of fairly cheap pensions and hostals in Leon, which many pilgrims stay at anyway in order to have a 'rest day'

Is this going to be the only one? Looking at yesterdays national budget cuts (17%) in government services which is vicious by any standard, surely the gov albergues will be an easy target? :(

With the economic slash and burn of the present government, I do fear that there may be more of this to come - most especially earlier on the camino. Harsh times.
I entirely endorse the absolute need for pilgrims to give so as to bolster the resources that are so central to the camino, albergues included. A gift to those that will follow in their footsteps and a return to the country that hosts the camino.

peregrina2000 said:
From a friend in Madrid, I've learned that the municipal albergue in Leon will close:
http://noticias.lainformacion.com/polit ... AGFWAldW2/

Nine employees will lose their jobs, and the government will save 302,000 euros annually.

I assume this will put a lot of pressure on the Carabajalas nuns' albergue.

Not very good news, I'm afraid.

Buen camino, Laurie

What is article does not point out, is the albergue was incurring almost 4 times the amount in expenses as in took in as revenue.

In other words the price of a bed as only 25% of the real cost of providing this bed.

In other words the price of accommodation should be approx 4 times what is currently

I am afraid this a common situation you see throughout the Camino in Spain.

The real donation that would be required to cover the costs would be closer to 15 euros not the more commonly given amount of 5 euros

I agree that one should donate what they can for the donavito but exactly how much or what would be considered appropriate? I have tried to find the answer on the forums but don't really know as a newbie. I don't want to offend anyone but am definitely on a budget. But I also don't mind giving up a glass of wine or lunch to give what is needed.

Thank you so much!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Five Euro minimum. More if you like what you are getting there. That will help pay the bills, and take up the slack for those who cannot (or will not) pay their own way.

When I stayed in a donativo I gave in between 5 à 10 € depending indeed how I liked what I " got " there. Also at least 8 € when a communal meal was provided, same I would give when eating a pilgrim's menu somewhere.
Tosantos, at the nun's in Leon, Gaucelmo in Rabanal, parroquial in Estella are all wonderful places with warm and kind hopsitaleros.

If 15 euro is the actual cost to provide a bed for me for a night, then I vow to always donate at least 15 euro. I will also take a bag for trash and some of those lightweight gloves so that I can pick up trash along the way.
Now for the hard part - I will also try very hard not to "cop an attitude" against those who pretend to be pilgrims for a cheap bed, don't clean up after themselves, and whatever else might offend me along the way.
When people ask why I want to make this journey, I still haven't formulated an answer. But one goal looms large and that is to learn to exercise patience, compassion, understanding, and generosity towards others. I'm thinking that the Camino is going to be a good place for that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. I really had no idea how much to give. I am so glad to know now and can figure it into my days' budgets. Starting in 15 days!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back