• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal Albergue or Pension? (on first night)

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hi all,

I'm getting close to boots on the ground (two weeks) just shoring up a few last minute details.
In your opinions and experience what would you choose on your first night on Del Norte in Irun.
Train arrives at 12:30PM (plenty of time to get to albergue to que up)

Municipal Albergue, yes/no, why?
or
Pension, yes/no, why?

Thanks so much for racking my brain. 😂

:cool:👣

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,

I'm getting close to boots on the ground (two weeks) just shoring up a few last minute details.
In your opinions and experience what would you choose on your first night on Del Norte in Irun.

or
Pension, yes/no, why?

My decision would be based on how restful I need things to be. That day I arrive at the departure point prior to the next day's beginning of a pilgrimage, I want to ensure good quality sleep after long hours of travel. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pension for us. Needed good sleep to prepare for long, hard day to San Sebastian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Definitely pension, you will be too excited to go to bed at pilgrim times. Alternatively, you can start walking and have a lovely short stage to Pasajes de San Juan and sleep in that albergue

Definitely pension, you will be too excited to go to bed at pilgrim times. Alternatively, you can start walking and have a lovely short stage to Pasajes de San Juan and sleep in that albergue
In addition to the 14 bed albergue there is a guest house called Casa Txurdin in Pasajes that you can reserve. The contact number for Casa Txurdin is +34685475733 . She's on WhatsApp, which is how I made the reservation. The cost for a private room with shared bath and breakfast was 25 euros.
Because of a cancelled flight I started walking around 1:30 pm, and just went to Casa Txurdin.

Hi all,

or
Pension, yes/no, why?

as you have plenty of time i stayed in albergue in Irun... next morning walked with some people.. enjoy the del Norte is the best Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am staying one night in Paris before I head down to Irun so I should be rested, hopefully. The pension does sound lovely and a good nights sleep is always welcome on the Camino but won't I miss out on getting to know other pilgrims? Are there other pilgrims staying in Pensions in Irun, I guess there would be. It would be nice to start out with others on the first day.

👣
In addition to the 14 bed albergue there is a guest house called Casa Txurdin in Pasajes that you can reserve. The contact number for Casa Txurdin is +34685475733 . She's on WhatsApp, which is how I made the reservation. The cost for a private room with shared bath and breakfast was 25 euros.
Because of a cancelled flight I started walking around 1:30 pm, and just went to Casa Txurdin.
Thank you, I will definitely put this info into WhatsApp.

And, before taking off, I would not miss the oportunity to cross the old bridge to France, not the new Santiago bridge, but the one that so many Spanish refugees used when fleeing from Franco's troops in the Spanish Civil War. And also the train station in Hendaye hosted the historical meeting between Franco and Hitler, when Franco was 20 minutes late made Adolf wait... Adolf said at the time, referring to an exhausted Spanish army after 3 years of war: "Mit diesen Kerlen ist nichts zu machen", something like "there is nothing to be done with these fellows", virtually keeping Spain outside the WWII.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

or
Pension, yes/no, why?

I always think the perfect solution might be BOTH. Book a night at Albergue but only if they do a good shared meal. Then also book a night in Pension. Get a bloody good nights sleep for your first day. Best of both worlds. Meet great group and get a good sleep. Let’s face it Irun is a bit of a nothing spot. Badly damaged in Civil war so most of its architecture can be best described as non descript modern. Nothing much of character. One other suggestion I’d have is stay in San Sebastián your first night and get early morning train back to Irun. 3€. San Sebastián is a lot of fun. Awesome tapas bars. Some cheap but good spots for accommodation if you look. Easy to go back to Iran on coastal train. Leaves early. About a 15 or 20 min trip. I know it’s a bit cheeky but after 5 or 6 caminos you learn to have fun.

And, before taking off, I would not miss the oportunity to cross the old bridge to France, not the new Santiago bridge, but the one that so many Spanish refugees used when fleeing from Franco's troops in the Spanish Civil War. And also the train station in Hendaye hosted the historical meeting between Franco and Hitler, when Franco was 20 minutes late made Adolf wait... Adolf said at the time, referring to an exhausted Spanish army after 3 years of war: "Mit diesen Kerlen ist nichts zu machen", something like "there is nothing to be done with these fellows", virtually keeping Spain outside the WWII.

View attachment 59521
Thank you for this bit of History. I will be arriving by train to the Hendaye station. Does this bridge you speak of take me into Irun?

Last edited:
FourSeasons, indeed! it is only a 500 meter walk to Irun, see this photo below, the station and the route is marked in yellow, the bridge in the red circle; once you cross the bridge, you are in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

or
Pension, yes/no, why?

I stayed at a pension called "Pension Bidasoa" in Irun. It is the first one right outside the train station. Please avoid it if possible. Not only it is a shabby place (charged around $40.00), I could hear everyone next door. Not much rest there. But then "pension Santa Maria" in Portugalete was the worst of all. The VERY dirty bathroom was so small I could hardly stand in the shower stall. The followings were outstanding: Pension Iribar in Jetaria; Hotel Arbe in Mutriku (it's a little bit out of the way but they will pick you up and drop you off the next day) is just wonderful in everyway.; Finca El Miruendano in La Franca; Casa El Arcu in Vega (for 25 Euros, I had a wonderful clean room and lovingly prepared breakfast); Hotel and Restaurant Parajes in Playa De Penarronda (right before Ribadeo). I stayed at Parajes two nights and visited the As Catedrais Beach and it was one of the highlights of the Camino del Norte. Restaurant Parajes is worthy of Michelin star.

Last edited:
I stayed at a pension called "Pension Bidasoa" in Irun. It is the first one right outside the train station. Please avoid it if possible. Such a shabby place that charged around $40.00. You can hear everyone next door. Not much rest there.
Okay, thanks for the heads up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Then "pension Santa Maria" in Portugalete was the worst of all. The VERY dirty bathroom was so small I could hardly stand in the shower stall. The followings were outstanding: Pension Iribar in Jetaria; Hotel Arbe in Mutriku (it's a little bit out of the way but they will pick you up and drop you off the next day) is just wonderful in everyway.; Finca El Miruendano in La Franca; Casa El Arcu in Vega (for 25 Euros, I had a wonderful clean room and lovingly prepared breakfast); Hotel and Restaurant Parajes in Playa De Penarronda (right before Ribadeo). I stayed at Parajes two nights and visited the As Catedrais Beach and it was one of the highlights of the Camino del Norte. Restaurant Parajes is worthy of Michelin star.

Then "pension Santa Maria" in Portugalete was the worst of all. The VERY dirty bathroom was so small I could hardly stand in the shower stall. The followings were outstanding: Pension Iribar in Jetaria; Hotel Arbe in Mutriku (it's a little bit out of the way but they will pick you up and drop you off the next day) is just wonderful in everyway.; Finca El Miruendano in La Franca; Casa El Arcu in Vega (for 25 Euros, I had a wonderful clean room and lovingly prepared breakfast); Hotel and Restaurant Parajes in Playa De Penarronda (right before Ribadeo). I stayed at Parajes two nights and visited the As Catedrais Beach and it was one of the highlights of the Camino del Norte. Restaurant Parajes is worthy of Michelin star.
Pensión la Guía in Portugalete was excellent.

Pension Lizaso in Irun, clean and comfortable and very near the station.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed in a pension but visited the municipal to get our credentials and scallop shells.

Enjoyed the comments. I'm starting the Norte combined with the Primitivo on August 9th with my wife. I walked the Francis last year on my own and was always happy with the places I stayed. My wife has somewhat different standards then mine :) and I want her to have a great experience.
I would appreciate any suggestions for Albergues and Pensions on the route. Or any other suggestions that may enhance her (our) experience.

Enjoyed the comments. I'm starting the Norte combined with the Primitivo on August 9th with my wife. I walked the Francis last year on my own and was always happy with the places I stayed. My wife has somewhat different standards then mine :) and I want her to have a great experience.
I would appreciate any suggestions for Albergues and Pensions on the route. Or any other suggestions that may enhance her (our) experience.

Pension La Perla in San Sebastian, gorgeous and friendly.
Pension Mardones in Bilbao, in the old town. Loved it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back